12+

Surreality

by emjayc

This is just something I wrote on my blog to expel my emotion. This is not a true poem.

It is incredibly surreal to feel the ping of the keyboard beneath my fingers as I sit here in a well-furnished room…
since,
There have been crowds rioting in Missouri over the death of a man named Michael Brown…
Yet in a village in the Congo a young boy attempts to hold back his tears at the sound of mothers keening as he holds his father’s hand and knows that Ebola will take him next.
Yet a figure draped in black stares down at another body of a child he decapitated, but he is no longer a man–he is a monster.
Yet there is a woman raped and tortured awaiting the same fate as the journalists before her.
Yet in Ukraine a mother watches helplessly as a Russian soldier threatens her family.
Yet a pile of rubble in Gaza used to be a home where two parents and their children resided.
Yet a Christian in the Middle East flees to the mountains because it is the only safe place…

But I want to lose weight because I have enough food to eat.
     But I wish my job were not so stressful because I overwork myself to buy nice things.
     But I need to attend my dream college.
     But we complain, “Why can’t the news station talk more about the Emmy awards so I can    avoid macabre reality?”

If you want to make a difference in the world then you need to look around you and realize that you are alive. Your life is not threatened.
Rioting and violence brings more pain, hurts small businesses, makes you look like an arrogant fool.
WATCH that boy give in to the tears he tried to hold back for so long as his father no longer recognizes him!
SEEK JUSTICE at the sight of an innocent child’s headless body.
FIGHT for the woman that wants to live a day without terror.
FEEL for the mother as she sees the world raging about her.
LOVE the family that lost everything in one fatal blow.
PRAY for the Christians that have had the strength to recognize their God.
What if you had been born in their place? Imagine waking up one day…
…knowing your father is dead and his body will never be buried because the Disease killed him.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:22 am
thePoeToaster43 wrote a review...

PLEASE DON'T MISUNDERSTAND WHAT I'M ABOUT TO SAY.
Please read through this review completely and try to understand...

While I love this and see the truth in it, (and the beauty in your meaning) it just doesn't seem like a poem.
Don't take this the wrong way, it's a splendidly realistic piece that makes you think twice about everything that is going on in the world (and everything we complain about) but it's not poetic.
It seems like a speech or a rant. Like you're just listing things that are going wrong in our world today. Like, "this is happening, and this, and this, and this." Instead of taking your talent as a poet and putting it in a form/ style that people can't just turn away from saying "yeah yeah, I know."
You bring a beautiful creation to the table. I do think it is perfect in its own way. But if you're going to pass it as a poem... try to add a poetic feel to it.
Please don't hate me. I feel horrible already.
But truthfully, if this were passed off as a speech, I would applaud.
Or a rant, I'd agree to.
But as a poem... It lacks the emotion poetry usually has. I'm well aware that there is indeed a poetry style that is very similar to this piece. But even in that category of poetry, it lacks the beauty it deserves.
Poems are a mysterious thing. I am no where close to a full understanding. Just please understand the point I'm trying to make.

Again, I'm sorry if I come off badly.
I really do love the point you've made.

Good Luck To You...
and please don't hate me.

As a blog entry, this is riveting.

emjayc says...

Not offended at all because this is not actually a poem, it is indeed a rant and a blog post! I just wanted to post it on this site and there is not exactly a category for it, so I just put it under poetry. Seeing as a lot of people tend to read poetry on this site!

That makes sense!

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:04 pm
Shiverfeather wrote a review...

Amazing, you addressed issues so many people avoid. Obviously you stated the point people try to avoid the issue. It is really hard to think about reality and we instead focus on first world problems. You also didn't accuse people, just suggested they try to pay more attention and help where they can. A good balance between accusing-sorry, I couldn't think of another word-and supporting. It was almost amazingly written.

The only person I know for certain I am better than is the person I used to be.
— CandyWizard