Lunar Blaze Chapter 2

by emilybrodo

MaryEvans wrote a review...

Adding to what was already pointed out in previous reviews:

“it was beautiful as put it on” – typo.
“and felt to piercings” – another one.

I’m not certain about Selina’s motivations. For example if she was afraid, why did she need to go out so badly? I mean what drove her outside; she could have just waited for the sunrise and then go back to Moina? People usually think of safety before anything else, whatever it is the character is thinking. Also when she is making the garlic charm, I feel you need to elaborate. It’s as if details are missing, perhaps more on her thoughts feelings and motivations. Gives us a deeper more full view of what’s going on.

“Then she found a necklace with a cross dangling from it hoping it would ward off the vampire.” Where did she find it? Daggling from where? Be more clear.

Also shouldn’t she be all dizzy and weak after being bitten? If she has some ability or whatever that can fix/strengthen her its ok, but if not you should include that detail in the very beginning.

“the bights on her neck” – perhaps a typo? Or you should consider your choice of words. You know scarfs work for covering neck marks, provided she has one or finds one in the house.

“Your very close” – you’re

I feel both women are kind of… too up in spirits considering the situation. Selina doesn’t need to force herself to smile and all, her mother is missing. And Moina is just… I don’t know, there isn’t a trace of her forcing herself to act that way, she just acts all “cheery” and stuff. I like her voice yes, but I do feel she should be, how to say… more tactful? The girl just lost her mother the last thing she need is a hyper cheery adult to try to brighten the mood, especially one who doesn’t show an actual honest trace of concern or worry.

“Moina came and sat next to me on her sofa, handing me a bowl of cereal and a spoon and she began to munch down her own.” – you suddenly switch to first person in this sentence.

A perfume? Really? She should have just said “I don’t know you’re imagining” and it would have been way more believable.

Again you are rushing a bit towards the end with the dialogue. Perhaps you should also express some things through narration rather than speech, it helps to slow things down a bit.

I feel Selina should be asking more questions. Like “I know something’s going on, talk.” She seems like a smart girl, she has nothing to lose or nothing stopping her from asking, so logically she should just confront Moina.

“Moina came back with something mystical with gold delicate points like stars silently exploding in their beauty.” – too vague, too short, too unclear from first read.

“Moina slipped it around Moina’s neck” – typo I believe.

Ending is too sudden.
Also go over everything you present the reader, every action and thought, and think whether all are absolutely necessary to the story and if they give it something. There are some minor details I feel that you put there only as a filler.

This is certainly better paced than the previous chapter. (and I just noticed you have updated a newer version of that chapter one, will make sure to check it out) But it is also definitely in need of more work. You can perhaps do character sketches, really imagine your characters and their reactions in different situations. Also try to outline better everything that’s going on in the chapter, it helps when trying to depict it.

Tenyo wrote a review...

Review #2

Selina
Her personality is fluctuating a lot so she definately needs some work at this point. I imagine that by the time you reach chapter eighteen you'll be much more certain of her personality so you need to go back and fix this here. Here her personality is fluctuating a lot, which is normal if you don't do much character preparation beforehand. Like with the issue of why she threw away her necklace in the last chapter, you need to know what motivates her. What kind of girl wanders back into a room where something bad happens, reaches into a trap hole that could still be dangerous, pulls out a ring- and just puts it on without question? If she is tired and confused, why have the sense to get a bag of garlic? And if she feels helpless then why not tell Moina what happened?

Moina
I like her. She's interesting, and quirky. I'm not sure what her role is in the house though, is she a keeper, a steward, a resident or family member? What does she mean to Selina? Why doesn't Selina react when Moina so suddenly asks if she met a vampire, since I'm guessing by her earlier thoughts that most people don't believe in them.

Three Points
Try to have at least three key things happen in each scene/chapter. In this Selina wakes up in her own bed, and Moina kind of half reveals something in her sudden mentioning of vampires (even though you don't play up on that as much as you could.) It means that a lot of this scene is just chatter and bulk with little purpose. Divulging information is something that should be woven in to the text, but it can't be used as a plot mechanism because otherwise there's nothing much going on and you'll lose you reader.

Edits and Tweaks
Did you change perspective while writing this? And edit it accordingly? You missed a spot :p A few actually. Half way through there is a sudden introduction of 'me' where there was no me and no longer is. Near the end Moina slips a necklace around her own neck and feels her own fangmarks.

Now, to #3 !

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:45 am
DemonHunterSociety wrote a review...

Hi there. I just finished reading chapter 1 and 2 of your story and this is my review of this chapter. First of all let me say that your story could really be a work of art if you added more depth to your character. While I was reading I really didn't care about Selina, or the fact that she was bitten by a vampire. Everything is happening so fast. You need to slow down a little and pace yourself. You don't have to force everything in one chapter. Let the readers get to know your characters so we'll actually want to know what happens next.
You made a few grammar mistakes, nothing major but this needs a lot of work before you start on chapter 3. I honestly would recommend rewriting this chapter. Take your time... you have an entire book to tell us what's going on. Honestly your story is kind of boring... but I see potential in it. I see a lot of hidden potential in you if you're willing to do the work.
I'll keep reading on this story to see how it develops and i'll love to write a positive review on it in the future. Keep trying and don't lose heart in your work. Consider this constructive critism.

Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield