A Child's Arts and Crafts/ Log#756/ The Museum

by ellasnotebook

The Museum’s List of Oddities and Supernatural Occurrences: Log #756

Once, while traveling on a long, dark, road, I came upon what I believe to be a new supernatural creature or occurrence. As I walked along the path I scribbled aimlessly in my journal (I’ve learned the difficult skill of logging whilst walking). The sun was sinking, low in the sky. It reminded me like a cut open grapefruit. The air was crisp and cool, and felt almost brittle when I breathed it in. There was no one else walking with me. The meadows and pastures of the country were my only company. At around 8:17 P.M., I began to hear what could be described as someone banging several keys on a piano. It followed a tune, albeit poorly. I was inclined to ignore it. It didn’t sound real: it sounded as though I was just replaying a song inside my head. What caused me to begin logging the account into my journal was the trombone that began accompanying it. The following text is taken from my journal.

x

Saturday, 8:18 PM

A country road in the middle of nowhere

Journal, the strangest thing is happening! It really is quite marvelous. I should be scared, but when your profession is collecting oddities, it’s an excitement whenever one occurs! I was just strolling around this quaint country road when I began to hear a piano play. No one is around but the grass and occasional cow. It didn’t sound real - it sounded as though I was just making it up in my head. But journal - my colleagues at the Museum are not going to believe this! About a full minute after the piano began playing, a full orchestra has joined in! It has gotten significantly louder - I must be alert, but I must also document everything!

x

I continued walking along the path, my interest piqued. I flipped through my thick field guide, searching for any spectors or oddities that could be responsible. I automatically assumed that it could have been an entire undead orchestra, but thought that was silly. And anyways, “Why would a dead orchestra be playing in the middle of a dirt road? Stupid, stupid!” (Excerpt from the journal entry). I walked on for a ways, listening to the increasingly louder orchestra warble a faintly recognizable tune, when I realized the sun was no longer red. It had turned a deep purple, and seemed like it cut into the horizon. It startled me, to say the least.

x

Saturday, 8:20 PM

An increasingly mysterious country road

The sun is purple. It no longer even looks like the sun, but instead looks like someone colored a piece of paper purple and pasted it sloppily against the horizon. I am quite shaken, journal. My hands are trembling, but I have to press on. I have to document this.

x

The next journal describes the de-construction of reality that took place in the next few minutes. It is hastily written, as my hands were trembling so badly that I could hardly write it.

x

8:25

Good God. The grass is tiny slivers of green, and red, and yellow construction paper that looks like a child’s craft. The sky has turned into moving scribbles of black charcoal, and the flowers are quickly drawn circles. The music has grown ever louder, and I’ve recognized the tune as children’s nursery rhymes. Everywhere I look, reality has been replaced with crudely cut out paper and blindingly saturated colors. I am either in the presence of God, or a very angry child. Perhaps both. I think I am descending into madness. I’ve begun singing along with the rhymes.

x

The journal continues in incoherent scribbles and child-like drawings.

x

Mary had a little lamb, whose fleece was white as snow

As white as snow

Snow is wonderful. It is it is I love it! It is my favorite! Snow is falling now, look! Look look look!

Man has colored the white paper with our colorful sin

Rip the paper

Please

tear it, I want to feel myself ripped to shreds m mmm oh

Tear me tear me

It is ripping at the seams, look! God have mercy on my

Mary had a

She had a little

It’s ripping!

x

The very last entry in the journal is a poem.

x

rip me

I will tear myself

To shreds

Color the sky black and diediediedie

Nothing is everything

We are

Construction paper

Graphite

A Childs scribble

Oh oh ohhhh

Mary had a little lamb whose fleece was white as snow.

Rip it to shreds

Paint on it

Paint on my hands

shreds in my hands

rip

Me

We’re ripping now

Can you

Feel

It

?

x

The journal ends there. I woke up on a park bench on the side of the road with all my materials in my bag, which I had been using as a pillow. I had no memory of what had occurred. The only proof this had ever happened was the scribbles that now cover my arms and legs and the journal entries I had written. Considering my previous assignment prior to the occurrence, there had been no reason for me too even be walking on that country road at all.

I have concluded that nothing in this world is real and that a higher being is playing arts and crafts with time and space. This is my final log and suicide note. It has been an honor working with you all.

T.I.G.

Museum Curator’s Note: Although Collector Thomas does give a quite convincing argument, we have tested his theory and have inconclusively decided that our technology is not advanced enough to interact with high enough deity’s as this. Therefore, it does not exist. It would provide a useful explanation for politicians, though. Have a lovely day at the Museum.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:11 am
mellifera wrote a review...

Hello ellasnotebook, and happy Review Day!

Let's jump right in, shall we?

I really like this piece you've done. It starts out quite peaceful and normal, just having a nice walk and everything, and it slowly gets creepier and then it nose dives, and you did a wonderful job at that build up and how suddenly it turned.

It reminded me like a cut open grapefruit.

This sentence would work better as: 'It reminded me of a cut open grapefruit'

It didn't sound real: it sounded as though I was replaying a song inside my head.

This sentence isn't exactly the right place for that colon. I would either change that sentence structure a bit (It didn't sound real, almost as if I was replaying a song inside my head) or I would cut it in half (it didn't sound real. It sounded as though I was replaying a song inside my head), though I think the latter sounds a little repetitive.

I walked on for a ways, listening to the increasingly louder orchestra warble a faintly recognizable tune,

I love the use of the word 'warble'.

I am either in the presence of God, or a very angry child.

This made me laugh, though I appreciate the fact it's still a bit disturbing to think about.

-Like I said before, I love the spooky atmosphere and the little, but disturbing changes to the scenery. I find it really fascinating that everything turned into a 'child's craft', and then it plummeted into that poem and got very dark very fast. There wasn't really anything 'scary' that happened, but the way you wrote it is morbidly beautiful.

You did a really good job on this piece, without falling into the sea of horror tropes that you see in most other horror works. Kudos to you, and lovely job!

I hope this review was helpful to you! Have a wonderful day :)
-scribbles

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:13 pm
Pentavalence wrote a review...

Hello, Pentavalence here with a review. (I’m typing this on mobile, please forgive my typos)

What a unique story! (And I mean unique in a good way. People have taken the words unique and interesting and used them as synonyms for ‘weird’ or ‘unlikable’— sorry, I’m rambling. Point being, I like your piece.)

Since you have three titles up there, before we get to the review I’d like to offer my opinion that Log #756 is the best of the bunch.

Okay, pontification over. Here are some things I think could improve:

I think it would work better if it was in mostly journal entry form, except for the beginning and end. The little excerpts like " The next journal describes the de-construction of reality that took place in the next few minutes. It is hastily written, as my hands were trembling so badly that I could hardly write it." just distract the reader from the story. Or at least it distracted me, anyway.

" I have concluded that nothing in this world is real and that a higher being is playing arts and crafts with time and space. This is my final log and suicide note. It has been an honor working with you all." This feels a little blase. It doesn't feel desperate, like I expect a suicide note to be. I think a little more confusion and sadness give more of an emotional impact-- if that's what you want to give.

The last paragraph confuses me: "Museum Curator’s Note: Although Collector Thomas does give a quite convincing argument, we have tested his theory and have inconclusively decided that our technology is not advanced enough to interact with high enough deity’s as this. Therefore, it does not exist. "

If it's inconclusive, why do they act like they have a definite answer. Did you mean to say conclusive? Or is this a joke I'm not getting, lol.

Anyway, yeah! Really cool piece! I generally roll my eyes at horror, but I read this a day ago and it's still unsettling me. Nice work.

Pentavalence out.

Thank you so much for the review! (For some reason, it didn't say someone had reviewed it so I only just now found out, lol). I'm glad you liked it- this was kind of a go at a "creepypasta" kind of story? I was nervous about it because it's a little..."off", and I was afraid people would find it too weird. I agree about the last bit where it's his suicide note, it's very sudden and needs more emotions. I'll get on fixing that. As for the very last bit, it was partially supposed to be a joke, but it's not as clear as I wanted it to be. It was supposed to show how sucky this "Museum" is by showing how they ignore the inevitable reality by basing it's non-existence on inconclusive evidence. Weird, I know; I'll have to go back and clarify that. thanks again!

No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.
— John Donne