Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

Abarat by Clive Barker

by electricbluemonkey

I just finished Abarat by Clive Barker, after putting it off reading it for about 1 year, I finally picked it up. I plowed through the book at an enormous rate. It was just such an amazing read. The ending was dissapointing though...but the whole story was cool.

It is about a girl name Candy Quackenbush who lives in the small, boring town of Chickentown, U.S.A. There, one day, she runs away from her house and just keeps running until finding a really, really old lighthouse in the middle of a pasture. There she meets a creature name John Mischief who's running away from another creature called Mendelson Shape. She agrees to help him and she goes up to the lighthouse and lights it just as Shape is about to kill her. The lighthouse was a magical lighthouse that made the Sea of Izabella appeared and the islands of Abarat be vulnerable for the world. She agrees to go to Abarat in search with a new, exciting life with John Mischief, but her dreams of a new life are suddenly changed as she has to foil Rojo Pixler's plans to take over every company and Christopher Carrion's plans to make the Midnight rule all of the islands of Abarat.

Thats the book. It is a fantasy at high school level or so. It was pretty easy for me though, but it was a really great read.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:35 pm
JC wrote a review...

I seem to be the only person not seriously obsessed with the books. I read them both, at a friends request, and I'm not saying that I hated them, just that they could've been better. They kept my attention, intrest, and all that, but I didn't find them exciting at all. And Disney is wonderful, I'm a disney person, probably because I work there. The only thing I hate about Disney is what they did to pirates 2. But other than that they shouldn't mess it up too much.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:57 am
Pushca says...

I loved those. Dude had to be on drugs to write it, though.... : )

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:23 pm
zelithon wrote a review...

[b][size=24][/size]My favorate books ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And concidering how much i read that is saying something! i have read both of them and hav4e them both in first addition i drool just thinking about the next one!!!!!!!!! i can not express in words how asome these books are! 20 times better than harry potter without a doudt! I am not that enthuseastic about the movie comeing out(every true reader knows the book is almost always better than the movie
) but i will definatlyt wach it. I have read 2 other books by Clive Barker but they were not as good. One was pretty [i]graphic[/i] if you now what i mean (unsuitable for younger readers), but good otherwise. the other one was really good and his only other book for kidds.[/b]

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:52 am
Sam says...

I'm on like...the 10th page..when they're in Room 11...

it's like my favorite book already.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:29 am
hekategirl says...

No, Clive Barker willingly gave them the rights to make it. And the scary thing is...HE IS EXCITED!! UGGGGG!!!! here is the website where I read it, its the official Abarat website jsut click on 'The Movie' and you will see the horrifying, terryble article:

http://www.thebooksofabarat.com/content4/xbarat99.html

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:17 am

As someone who loved both the first and second books, I cannot believe they're making a movie out of it! And I can't believe Disney's making it! Did they steal the rights to it or was Clive Barker severely drunk? *runs around and screams in horror at the thought of the great Disney massacre of one of the most awesome books ever*

Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:10 pm
Kylie J says...

Ah, they're making a movie out of it? That stinks! Once they do that, no one's gonna bother reading the books, no matter how much better they are, and they'll probably totally ruin the plot. Grr!

Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:05 pm
hekategirl wrote a review...

Thats is my all time favorite book in the whole intire world!!!!!! the first was is very, very, very good. But the second one is so amazing. Its even better then the first one. Clive Barker planning on writing 2 more. And also their going to make a movie out of it too *grrrr* not only that but DISNEY is making it *grrrrr*
Their going to ruin it for sure.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:55 pm
Kylie J says...

Oh yeah! I read Abarat a while ago, and it was amazing! If you're a lover of fantasy, this book will suck you in. Unfortunately, I never got through the sequel, but I plan to at some point - it's called Days of Magic, Nights of War.

Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:53 am

Whats the sequel to Abarat? Isn't it called RED or something?

Yeah, and Abarat was really, really cool. It was the most unique book I've ever read, but a little weird at times. If you want a good read, you should so read this.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:02 am
Tessitore says...

I love Abarat, one of those books I'm really wanting to add to my library. The second book was also SMASHING. Much love to Clive Barker and ALL his works, expecially Everville and The Great and Secret Show and ABARAT!

Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:21 am
Sam says...

Oh i remember hekategirl telling me about that one...if too people say it's awesome, then it must be good. :D

The capacity of human beings to bore one another seems to be vastly greater than that of any other animal.
— H. L. Mencken