z

Young Writers Society



A Siren's Chain

by elcuidador


I don't think anyone on YWS will completely understand this poem except for one person. I ain't saying who xD it could be you, eh? 

A Siren's Chain

Sorrows of distant lands are drawn,
Into her net, with loathful willingness.
A vow? Evermore to be, until Doom.
Open to unowned grief to salvage bliss.
 
Like a lighthouse beckoning rescue,
Lightless, fished out through mist.
Secretly pitied by her sweet awe;
Misery feeds her for a bulb-twist.
 
Esoteric beauty blinds the mystic,
Features only angelic queens' bear.
Her eyes, so glorious! Yet so dull.
Witness reality, let go without care.
 
Accursed love is one-sided delight,
Upon a dice all-sided with despair.
A chain of bets, with losers paired,
To whine, weep, problems to share.
 
Powerless I was and still will be,
To break shackles, linked by her.
Prize my secrets with mere hope, 
That my Gollum would be her Sir.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1272 Reviews


Points: 89625
Reviews: 1272

Donate
Sun May 26, 2013 1:26 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...



Hey. Here as requested. Albeit really late.

You lost me on this rather thoroughly. You attempted to tell a story but it's so wrapped up in that one person that it can't stand on its own. There was the beginning of a story in the first two stanzas, but you get into some odd metaphors that don't fit with the rest of the story you'd established (like "queens' bear") and it goes downhill from there.

I also found you were struggling to fit everything into four line stanzas. Each stanza is fairly disconnected from the others, almost like it belongs to a whole new poem. This is actually a problem I see a lot with four line stanza poems, because trying to cram everything in can be difficult. Especially if you have a rhyme scheme, like you do here, because rhyming already forces poetry into certain constraints.

One thing that bugged me was how close you'd use similar words. "lighthouse" and "lightness" within two lines, then "mist" and "mystic" within three. This can throw off flow really badly, and make the poem look fairly bland because words look the same. In general I try not to have similar sounds within four lines of each other, unless it's a really bland transition word that people get to skip over. Even then, it's better to keep things fresh with vocab, unless you're purposely going simple.

There's really nothing all that special about this poem, I find. It's forgetable, because there's nothing solid for us to relate to. This is mostly a cause of how there's no solid story. We change characters we're focusing on every single stanza, which makes this look more like five four line poems than one single poem.

My biggest suggestion is to make this able to stand on its own. Writing poetry for a single person is all well and good, but if you want to put the poem out there for the public, you have to make it relatable to the public. I usually do this by letting people latch onto a single character or metaphor.

Also, connect each stanza together. This helps create a story that we can follow throughout the poem, and would make this feel a lot less choppy. You can do this by using the same metaphors throughout, or a single character doing the narrating. Also better transitions in general so everything flows nicely and the scene doesn't change every stanza. There also seems to be nothing relating to the title; I personally like titles to have some reflection on the poem, so you can gather some bits of information or a deeper level from the poem thanks to the title. I wasn't getting that here.

Overall, this was average. Readable, but nothing to grab me. To the point I was forgetting what was said in earlier stanzas the more I read the poem.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey




User avatar
263 Reviews


Points: 9616
Reviews: 263

Donate
Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:26 pm
Caerulean wrote a review...



Happy Review Day! :) Whisperer here to give a review of this poem.

Nitpicks:

Sorrows of distance lands are drawn,

- Shouldn't that be 'distant' instead of 'distance'?

Like a lighthouse beconing rescue,

- beckoning*

Features only angelic queens bear.

- I think there should be an apostrophe before or after the 's' in 'queens'.

Her eyes, so glorious! Yet so dull.

- I like the way her eyes were praised with an exclamation then call them 'dull' in the next phrase.

Witness reality, let go without care.

- I'm not sure if you mean this to be an imperative or if you were referring to 'her' eyes still.

That my Gollum would be her Sir.

- :O Gollum! You cannot believe how I actually reacted when I saw that name. lol Anyway, I think it's a really great, interesting revelation that the poem is actually about Gollum and his unbreaking attachment/addiction to the One Ring. Is that right? :)
- I find it rather odd though that Gollum would want to be a 'Sir'.

- - - - - - -

To be honest, I really didn't understand your figures of speech here and the way you wrote this poem, haha. :) It looks Archaic, I mean, like Shakespeare-like... But anyway, after that 'revelation' at the end and after I reread the poem a bit, I think I understand what you were telling through those figures of speech. If I'm correct, the first and second stanzas were about Gollum finding the accursed ring and how overjoyed he was with this find. The third one refers to his attraction to the ring. The fourth one is literally about Gollum's 'one-sided love' with the Ring. I think the way you made a reference to love in reality is great and makes Gollum's situation feel more 'tragic', haha. :smt023 The fourth one is pretty obvious, especially because of the mention of Gollum's name in the last line. :) If I'm wrong, please tell me. xD

Never stop writing! :) (This sadly will be my only review this Review Day. >.< I've been playing LOTRO all day lol and we'll be leaving tomorrow.)




Gravy says...


I'm sorry to say that your theory was wrong. And I'm so surprised at those type-os argh! Stupid ipad keyboard. Thanks.



User avatar
1275 Reviews


Points: 36224
Reviews: 1275

Donate
Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:12 pm
niteowl wrote a review...



Hello Gravy!

So I know you said no one would understand this, and I'm still not quite sure what you're talking about, but I think it's beautifully written and it needs to get out of the Green Room, so I'll try to help out. Most of my comments are on small things.

Sorrows of distance lands are drawn,
Into her net, with loathful willingness.


"Distance" should be "distant", and there doesn't need to be a comma after drawn. Also spellcheck doesn't think loathful is a word. It could be wrong, but I'd double-check.

A vow? Evermore to be, until Doom.
Open to unowned grief to salvage bliss.


So these words make no sense to me as written. I'm not really sure how to rework it. Maybe:

Sworn to catch evermore until Doom
Their unowned grief to salvage bliss.

I'd try to connect it better to the first two lines.

Misery feeds her for a bulb-twist.


This definitely feels like it was thrown in for the rhyme. Try re-working it.

Accursed love is one-sided delight,
Upon a dice all-sided with depair.


No comma needed and a typo in despair, but I really liked the imagery here.

A chain of bets, with losers paired,
To whine, weep, problems to share.


The last line is not grammatically correct and feels a bit forced. It seems easier to fix, though. Something like "Whining and weeping, with problems to spare" Or "Whining and weeping, their problems they share". Play with it.

General note: You don't need a punctuation mark at the end of every line. That's really annoying. I'd consider only having punctuation where it would fit in prose.

Overall, this sounds lovely and has some inventive imagery. Just some small cleaning up and it will be even better! Good job and keep writing! :)




User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 2927
Reviews: 67

Donate
Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:41 am
View Likes
Epicdonkalous says...



OML OML FANGIIIIRLL!! -screams-

No, actually, this was pretty good, tinged with sadness, but the concept and meaning is nicely done, good job. (Though you should go back and edit the flow)

~Epic




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 707
Reviews: 10

Donate
Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:48 pm
BookLover33 wrote a review...



I like it, but it kind of lost me at a few parts. It is a little bumpy, but with a little bit of revision, it would be a really good piece of poetry. (Nothing much. Just a tweak here and a tweak there.) But overall, it's really good. You described the siren extremely well. (Applause!)

BookLover33





The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
— Stanislaw Jerszy Lec