12+

Mirror

by eilisBK

Mirror mirror on the wall,

who's the fairest of them all?

It can't be me,

for what I see

is pretty but not perfect.

A gentle face,

but cheeks too big

and eyes that shine like moonstone.

My belly's tight,

my rear a sight.

I'm "skinny" but not perfect?

Katem_277 says...

Hi! I really liked this poem as it is simple yet effective. You have done a very great job at communicating familiar feelings into something that is easy to read and prettily written. I loved how you turned the classic "mirror mirror on the wall" on its head. It captured my interest right away!

Also the rhymes mixed with repetition made it almost like a melody? Which I really enjoyed :)

Overall it's an excellent poem. Keep up the good work!

soundofmind says...

Hey Eilis!

I like this poem for what it is. It’s simple, easy to read, and straight to the point. The message is relatable and accessible which is great!

I thibk it could strengthen your poem to take the direct quote: “Mirror mirror on the wall...” and put it in your own words. I like it’s usage here in how it serves as a setup/setting for reflecting on physical insecurities, but I think it does feel a tad cliche.

I noticed in your description you mentioned feeling like it needed a third verse, but you weren’t able to think of one. If you’re lacking inspiration for how to expand the poem and fill it out, I think it could help if you expounded on what it means to be “perfect.” You could pick an “ideal” person and maybe describe them, the “fairest one of all.”

It’s up to you if you want to conclude on a high note or a lower, unresolved one, but I do feel tonally what I’m getting from this poem is almost a feeling of helplessness.

All that said, I know it’s very likely this poem comes from a very personal place. I hope you know that you don’t have to meet this world’s ever-changing weird beauty standards. What the media frames as “perfect” is always going to change, but I believe that there’s beauty in our diversity. Perfection is impossible and overrated! It’s a difficult road to walk to eventually becoming comfortable im your own skin, but I hope one day you’re able to appreciate the body you live in for what it is in all of its seasons as you grow!

soundofmind wrote a review...

Hey Eilis!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:14 am
AilahEvelynMae says...

Wow, thank you. You don’t understand how much this made me feel. Thank you so much for writing and for sharing. I have severe ocd and I cannot eat any foods because of poisons and contamination. Sometimes I will be able to eat a couple of foods to stay alive, but right now I’m in the darker space. I just forced myself to do my first 100 sit-ups of the day because I’m worried I’m poisoned. I’m underweight but no one understands. Just thank you so much. I am so glad that I stumbled upon this at the right time.

Sending ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️
-Ailah E.M

eilisBK says...

Hi Aliah,

I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through this. I'm glad the poem helped you somewhat, but if you even need to talk my PM's are always open.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:14 am
AilahEvelynMae wrote a review...

Sending ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️
-Ailah E.M

Hi everyone who clicks on my profile!...Um, not quite sure what else to do here. Yup, definitely new at this! XD
— Magebird