Worst 18th Birthday Ever???

by dylajfer

It started out as perhaps the worst birthday ever. I woke up that day like every other day, but it felt as if the world would soon be destroyed as I knew it. My parents were already downstairs, an unusual thing for them, being that I wake up before them by at least two hours. They both sat at the table with the family scrapbook, but they had a look of worry, which was even more unusual for them, as they are a very carefree couple.I went to cook breakfast for all of us, but they had it already cooked, including my favorite food, canned meat with fresh fruit. After I filled my plate, they asked me to take a seat in-between the two of them. I did as they asked, even though I do tend to reek of an un-known odor, which I use as an excuse to avoid hugging family members.

They then told something that would change my whole picture of the world. They started by asking me, why is it that I stink this bad, but love canned meats that must smell good. To this, I replied that it was just part of my personality. They then showed me a picture of them in front the house that we call home and they asked me if I knew when the picture taken. I replied around the early 1960’s. They then told me to take a closer look at the photo, which I did, only to find out that my mom was holding a bundle in her arms, which looked like flowers without closer inspection. They then told the most unbelievable thing to me that I am that baby, despite it being over eighteen years ago. I had died about two years after we had moved into the house; they were devastated until my grandfather told them something that would change everyone’s lives. He told them that has a way of bring the dead back to life, but not into brain-hunting zombies. They would be alive again, but this would his first real test of his method, so he had no idea of what side effects would be present from the process. They decided to take the risk to have back their only child. The experiment worked, but the only side effect was that the revamped corpse would smell like decayed flesh because the body was starting to decay when the experiment was first started. They got around that by having me eat special cans of meat to try to remove that odor from me, which works, but only for twenty-four hours. This put me in a state of unbelief, but to pull me out of this state, my parents showed me the pictures of the process and of me before and after the experiment, with the before photo being before my death.

I was shocked from this, and when I was about ready to ask them, if this was really a joke or if this was really what happened, I looked at the clock and realized I was late for school. I had missed the bus that I take to school, but being that I am eighteen, I can at least drive myself to school, but being late, there was a good chance that there would be no parking spaces available at the school. I thought on the way to school, how can this be; I don’t even look pale, but yet it was obvious with me not requiring to do the yearly check-ups for school.

When I got to the school parking lot, instead of no parking spaces being available, my two best friends, Jason and Michael, had saved me a space between their two trucks, with Jason’s being red and Michael’s being a dark green color. It is strange how my two best friends are guys, even though I am a girl and they are guys. They were waiting for me in their vehicles to wish me a happy eighteenth birthday, forgetting the fact it that it was almost time for school to start. I parked there and my two best friends exited their vehicles. They said in unison, happy birthday, to me. Jason then asked me for my backpack. To which I replied that was all right, but thanked him for the thought. Michael then asked me for my backpack. Then Jason told Michael that he had the honor of carrying both my backpack and my purse, even though I had refused the backpack idea, and would most definitely refuse the offer of the purse being carried by any other person other than myself. They started to argue back and forth about who was better, with Jason claiming he has the better brain of the two while Michael claimed he had the better body of the two. I eventually had to agree to Michael carrying in my backpack because we had the same first class. As we walked to the entrance to the school, I thought about what had just occurred outside and I could tell that they were up to something but yet I could not figure it out. We walked into the school and received an even greater surprise than the one my parents had told me earlier.

I had just walked into the school, but there was a strange feeling to the atmosphere of the school. It was an atmosphere of foreboding to future events. Then all of a sudden, the whole faculty, as if they, for once, were compelled to show an emotion and came to me and wished me a happy eighteenth birthday. The thing that made it even more strange was that it was only the teachers that me and my two friends have had in the past four years, and when asked about the reason, they replied that it was either because Jason or Michael hade asked them to do it. When the faculty that had come to wish me a happy birthday had gone away, I turned to asked them what is the meaning of this, and they were gone. It turns out that the bell had rung, turning the school loose to go to the first class. I then went to mine, which was my foreign language class.

During the course of the class, one of my best friends, Michael, tried to impress me by trying to read the teachers mine, in French. It did not turn out at all like what he was thinking of at all. It turns out that he said instead of the usually greeting of hello, how are you, he said hello, sorry to say so. He had to stay after school till 4:00 pm to clean the chalkboard that he had used. The next class was my Math class, with nothing spectacular or worth noting from either Jason or Michael.

Then came my English class and lunch. Nothing happened during English except for the failed attempt at love poetry by both of them, which for both is definitely not, I repeat, NOT, their style of writing. At Lunch, both wanted me, by myself, at a separate table, without the other sitting at it.

I made them both sit with me at one table. They then talked to each quietly, forgetting the fact that I am at the table with them. We soon returned to English, but that incident had me thinking what is the meaning of their sudden little rivalry with trying to get me alone with them, they can be thinking asking me out, because we are friends, not secret lovers.

Next was art, but nothing happened except for Jason, tried to get the model we were supposed to be using as a reference for a family-friendly version of the armless Venus, to try some very questionable poses. The teacher then scolded Jason for his actions and made him write an apology to the student who had offered to the model. School soon let out after that, and I went straight home, without running into Jason, who was still writing, or Michael, who was going to be still at the school until 4:00 pm. As soon as I got home, my phone beeped that I had a text message; I opened the text message and saw that I was from Jason. He asked me in the text message to come back to the school and help him with his vehicle that will not start. I told that I would be there in a few minutes. It is interesting that he would call me to help, because the only thing I know about fixing a car or truck is how to change the battery when it is dead. Therefore, I grabbed my jumper cables, which I would need if his battery was dead, and got back into my car.

As soon as I got into the car, my phone beeped again. This time, it was Michael asking me if I could come to his house and look at his hands, that he thinks they are broken. Therefore, I went back into my home to get the first aid kit that I keep under my bed. I then went first to help Jason out who was outside of his vehicle, without a shirt on, which I could not understand, being that it is very cold outside. He helped me with the battery and attempted to try to grab my butt, but I would not allow him to do it, even though he would whine, went refuse him. As soon as his vehicle started, I returned the jumper cables to my vehicle and started for Michael’s house. Jason, when I looked back through the rearview mirror, looked heart broken, but still could not understand why, though. When I got to Michael, there was an even bigger and very un-expected surprise waiting for me at his house.

When I got to Michael’s house, it was very quiet, too quiet. He is not the type to be as quiet as this, especially on a Friday evening. I walked up to the door and knocked on it. No one came, so I knocked again. This time someone came to door; it was his mother. She told me that he was outside in the garage, working on his truck. I thought as I walked to the garage, that his hands are not bothering him anymore. I opened the door to find that a table had been set up in the middle of the garage, with a flower on it and a scented candle, already lit. I started to move to the table, when I heard footsteps behind me and saw both Michael, who was wearing a casual outfit, and Jason, who was wearing the outfit he had bought for the play, a waiter’s outfit. I asked them what is the meaning of the table, the outfit, the arguing, and the attempts to woe me while we were at school. Michael then said, “Lindsay, I have a confession to make, I love you.” I replied that could not understand what he means by that. Michael replied with this, “I have loved you since I first saw you in 5th grade and that I have always been so nervous around you, that I could never say anything about it. I had Jason, who is an excellent cook, cook as a romantic dinner, just for the two of us. I also asked him to not say anything to you about it.”

Jason then said, “I was told to argue with him to make you think that we were both trying to pick you up as their girlfriend, instead of Michael asking you out on your first date. All of our teachers were in on the plot and told us to stay after, to ensure that you would go home, and not wait for us.”

Michael then picked up the rest of the plot with, “When we saw that you had left, we came straight here, in my truck, because Jason’s battery needed to be replaced.”

Jason then said, “When it was ready Michael was to give you a text, but he had left his phone in my truck, so he dropped me off at my truck and asked me to stall you for a little bit, to ensure that when you got to his home that he would be there. The man that you saw with my truck was actually my twin brother, who is always trying to hit on a girl.

I said, “So that explains butt grabbing and the look of despair, when I drove away for him. It also explains his lack of shirt.”

“Precisely”, said Jason, “When you got here, we were already to go.”

I asked, “Ready for what?”

Michael said, “For the greatest present you will receive today”, and then he kissed me on the cheek.

I said, while blushing, “Before we start dinner, I am not an ordinary person.”

Michael said, “I would not even care if you were from outer space and here to feast on my brains, I would still ask you to be my girlfriend.” We then proceeded with the dinner and, afterwards, proceeded to watch a movie in the theater, the newest film to come out, Frozen. He returned me to my home and we kissed each other on the lips, before saying good night to each other.

Worst birthday ever- I could hardly say it was even bad at all.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:16 am
Casanova wrote a review...

Heya, Dylajfer! Casanova here to do a review for you!

Anyway, the first thing I noticed about this, well at least the beginning of it, was the formality of it. You've set a dead-pan serious tone on the beginning, so I really can't get into the whole odd morning thing. Here's what I mean-

Now, you say you woke up like you did every morning, then contradict that. If your parents were up and moving around, when they usually don't, then it's not like every other morning. This is also when you start to make it seem way too formal to be telling of an odd morning, and I would suggest playing around with it. In the formal tone it's set in it makes it a tab bit boring.

Your overall plot is alright, I could see it going a few places if it wasn't for what I just mentioned up above.

Your characters seem decent, at least for the most part. The only real issue is what I stated above, in all honesty.

Your dialogue is the simple,"he said," ,"she asked," dialogue for the most part. It's not really letting emotion show through, and I would suggest mixing it up so it wouldn't be the same thing over and over and over again. Something like,"he scowled," for anger, or,"she sobbed," for sadness, instead of the regular, computer toned,"he/she said."

Anyway, I think that's all I have to say on this one, and I hope it helped even a little.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on.

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:57 am
fatimagilani wrote a review...

Hi there,
Your piece of work is good and the starting of the story is catchy and that’s the plus point of your work. But it could have been more descriptive. Description about the character gives magical touch to the story.
“They then told me to take a closer look at the photo, which I did, only to find out that my mom was holding a bundle in her arms, which looked like flowers without closer inspection. They then told the most unbelievable thing to me that I am that baby, despite it being over eighteen years ago. I had died about two years after we had moved into the house; they were devastated until my grandfather told them something that would change everyone’s lives. He told them that has a way of bring the dead back to life, but not into brain-hunting zombies. They would be alive again, but this would his first real test of his method, so he had no idea of what side effects would be present from the process. They decided to take the risk to have back their only child. The experiment worked, but the only side effect was that the revamped corpse would smell like decayed flesh because the body was starting to decay when the experiment was first started. They got around that by having me eat special cans of meat to try to remove that odor from me, which works, but only for twenty-four hours. This put me in a state of unbelief, but to pull me out of this state, my parents showed me the pictures of the process and of me before and after the experiment, with the before photo being before my death.”
This part of the story is catchy and interesting. I loved reading this.
[I said, while blushing, “Before we start dinner, I am not an ordinary person.”]
I found it inappropriate but thumbs up for your work and dedication.
:)

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
— Dr. Seuss