z

Young Writers Society



Mimic- chapter 2- Dream

by drewskylin


Dream

The bang was so far the weirdest thing ever to happen to me. At least that’s what I thought… Usually I trip, but this is by far the worst. My head spun and it wouldn’t stop. Colors under my eyes looked like a lava lamp, purple and orange blobs squirming together. I just laid there doing nothing, I’m dreaming. However, I quickly figured out that it wasn’t a dream, but I wished it were.

I wasn’t asleep, but wide-awake. I laid flat on my back with my arms at my sides. The floor was cold and uncomfortable. I sat up quickly making sure that my back didn’t touch the floor. I opened my eyes. The color still squirmed in my site. When I blinked myself out of the color trance, I noticed the pitch-black room and the utter silence. The dark was like velvet that was draped over everything. Blood pounded in my head, which I wanted to go away. But it’s quite too quite. I laughed to myself. Nice cheesy thought.

In the next second, I couldn’t breathe. My hands went straight to my mouth and I yanked out whatever was stuck in it. I held my wet warm necklace in my hand. How the hell did that get stuck in my mouth? A coppery taste filled my mouth. It was warm and salty. Great, now my mouth’s bleeding. The pounding in my head subsided and I started to feel better.

My breath echoed through out the room. Where am I? Am I dead? I don’t feel dead… Yet I heard no one or nothing. Am I alone? I think I’m alone… I don’t want to be alone.

“Hello?” I questioned aloud. No response. Please don’t be like the Twilight Zone. Please. Yet it was. Am I still in the museum? Did I leave? I don’t feel like I left, I don’t remember leaving. What’s happening? Out of nowhere, something warm and wet slid across my face.

“What the?” I shouted and nearly jumped a foot in the air. My head snapped to the location where I had just been licked. I could see nothing. I squinted through the thick thick darkness. The only thing I could make out was a pair of glittering eyes. I slowly shuffled myself away from the pair of eyes. They followed. The eyes and whatever they were attached too came closer and licked my cheek again.

I shuttered as sweat slowly dampening my hair. I wiped my forehead with the back of my sleeve, then stared back at the eyes. I felt compelled to touch it. My hand hit a scaly face like a replies’ skin.

The lizard thing backed away from my touch. But it didn’t stay away for long. It came back and even closer then before. My heart pounded in my chest. Why won’t it leave me alone? New idea came to me. I clapped my hands in front of the eyes to scare it away.

It did nothing. That’s was a stupid idea.

I remembered that I had a flashlight in my pocket. Taking it out, I flashed it at the eyes. Green scales surrendered the yellow eyes. I screamed.

That did it.

That must have been just enough. The yellow eyes and its body ran away. I stared at the direction in which the eyes had left, making sure that they wouldn’t come back. My eyes became adjusted to the thin light.

“Anyone there?” I called aloud, begging for some kind of response.

There was no answer. In the faint light, I figured out that I was sitting where I had been standing earlier. Then extra weight was added onto my leg.

Isn’t it the best having something on your leg in the middle of a dark room? I shined the light on my left leg a red-eyed snake took it a pound it’s self to lay it’s head on my leg. I swallowed a scream. I jumped up instantly knocking the snake’s head off my leg. It flicked his tongue at me, and then slithered away. Why is there a live snake in a museum? Shining the light at the other displays, reality set in, the displays were alive. No, no, you eyes are playing tricks on you.

Something rattled. Now what? Snakes slithered into the dim light. They flicked their tongues at me tasting the air. I stepped back. I really hate snakes!

“What the… What the… This can’t be-be-be possible!” I shouted. I turned to the only exit I knew of and dashed out, slamming the door behind me, locking in everything and anything there.

“Anyone there!?” I yelled. “Hello? Anyone? Please answer me?” I yelled miserably.

No answer. I fell to the floor and leaned against the wall, placing my head on my knees. All I wanted to do was to curl up and wake up. Tears ran down my face. Where am I? How’d I even got there? This is all a joke. Yes a joke. I’m just dreaming, just dreaming. I shut my eyes. Since I’m dreaming, when I open my eyes I’m going to be back in the Reptiles and Amphibians.

Nothing happened. Yep that’s right I was still in that stupid hallway. I walked down the hall and opened the door wishing that it would bring me back to the real world and out of this nightmare.

How am I even here? This is a museum isn't everything is suppose to be dead. Not alive and moving around! And where is everybody? I couldn’t have fallen asleep… someone would have woken me up, right? Right?

The room was almost pitch-black. A thin light came from the top of the left side of the room where the windows were. You could just see the outline of the displays, but there wasn’t enough light to read the sign on the door. I headed to the nearest display and with a flashlight peered in.

The display had a gray wrinkled rhino standing bravely on a rock. Another rhino was drank from a greenish brown puddle. High grass covered the ground and a poorly painted tree stood as the background. I watched the rhino on the rock annualizing it.

Oddly, the eyes of the Rhino didn’t look like marbles or stones. They looked real. Its skin didn’t look like plastic, it looked leathery. I could swear I saw its stomach move, like a heart beating. I started blankly at the rhino, until it turned his head and snorted at me.

My eyes popped open and fell back, surprised. I turned and ran until I smacked into gray leg. I fell to the ground. Staring up at it, the elephant looked down at me. His eyes glared at me burning. He looked at me with disgust then made a sound that made me fall over just as I had gotten up.

The sound burst my eardrums. I screamed clucking them. The elephant brought this head down and rammed me with his tusks. The scene was like a movie, all in slow motion. Thanks to that, I wasn’t stabbed. He missed only by inches. He tried again, this time I rolled myself right in-between the two tusks.

I scrambled up and sprinted. One of his footsteps equaled ten of mine. The flashlight in my hand bounced up and down sending shadows in my path. I almost didn’t see it, a raise in elevation in the center of the room. I jumped up on it. The elephant didn’t see it. He slammed his foot and howled as he fell. He made strange sound, like a fret train crashing into a building. He had slipped on the floor. If an elephant could growl, he would be. He slowly pulled himself up, glaring at me, hating me. I’m noting dying like this. I can’t let an elephant do me in.

As he pulled himself up, I grab the tip of the left one without thinking. He lifted me up into the air as I clung to it. I tried to keep my grip. The tusk was double the size of my hand. Please, please don’t let me die. The elephant was fuming now. He tried to shake me off, swing his head side to side flinging me around. I screamed. The pressure felt like a train slamming into me. My hands were now wet with sweat. To the elephant, I was only an ant that was getting on his nerves. I knew that if I let go I would have been killed.

I started to slip. I bite my bottom lip. Please. With one more gigantic swing, I was flung off. I crashed into a display. Glass few everywhere like a tornado spreading its debris into everything. Glass cut into my arms and legs. My voice was horse from screaming.

The elephant went to ram me with its tusks, but they crashed into the display next to me. I fell to the ground in a bloody glassy mess. The elephant pushed me lightly with its trunk. I didn’t move. Tears poured down my cheeks, but I made no sound. Then elephant left, thinking I was dead.

Blood covered my leg with a sick film. It was one of though moments where everything goes wrong, and you’re so hurt that you feel little pain. Gripping a piece of glass, which had stuck it’s self in my calf I yanked it out. I applied pressure on the gash, to stop the bleeding. All it did was soaking my hand in blood. Pulling out another averagely big piece, I tried to ignore the pain and get up. Blood flowed down my jeans, making them uncomfortably soggy. My mom’s going to kill me.

Walking a few feet, I felt the need to use the wall as support. I found myself in front of another display. A zebra was grazing and another one lay down in a plot of grass. The one in the grass stood up and stared at me I stared back frozen. I don’t need another animal chasing me. The zebra rammed the glass making a noise ring through the room. I slammed into the ground. My hands scraped against the ground. How much more pain can I endure? The zebra rammed the glass again.

Did the zebra know that it was in a display, or did it even know it’s supposed to be dead? A dent formed. Why do animals have to hate me? When the zebra rammed the glass, the dent grew. I got up from the floor and ran, running on pure adrenaline. I ran for any exit. I need to get out of this room. My legs killed, I started dragging my feet. My head started pounding. I tripped over my own feet. I fell flat on my face, my stomach and knees. I rolled over cradling my legs and closed my eyes, trying to hold back tears.

Hot air surrounded my head and face. Something fell on my head. I gagged on the smell. I opened my eyes dreading what I’d see. A Tiger hung over me, showing off its teeth. I was frozen. How are these animals alive? I thought this was a museum not a zoo! I am going to die. I am totally going to die now.

Somehow, I got up and stepped back, as the tiger growled at me, I sprinted around the tiger. I could hear his paws hit the ground. It echoed through the room bouncing of the walls and into my head. I kept running and I felt my necklace jump up and slide off, I grabbed it as I felt the tiger’s breathe on my heels. I fell to the floor, my vision blurred. My heart beaded like a jackhammer in my chest. Goodbye. Then I passed out.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 438 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments




Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato