GCSE Script

by dreaming_mouse

This is the script the group I was in for GCSE drama had to use for our practical exam. Re-reading it I can see why I got the grade I did but the guys left it all to me and I don't work well under pressure. Where it says Monologue its where me and the other girl decided to re-write and re-write our monologues and on the night forget them completly to just try and wing it.

(Katie lying down on the table, Amanda pacing around the stage nervously, Richard sitting on one of the chairs, John walks onstage.)

Amanda: Is she gonna be alright?

John: Are you the friends of Miss Dearness?

Amanda: Yes! is she gonna be alright?

John: At this stage it’s hard to tell, we’ve established she took an overdose of ecstasy. I’m afraid the police will have to be notified even if she does not wake up wake up.

Richard: What do you mean ‘if’?

Amanda: She will wake up!

John: I’m afraid there is the chance she won’t (point to heart monitor) she’s in an unstable condition we will have to watch her 24 hours a day, we haven’t been able to establish just how many tablets she has taken but we can make a reasonable guess that it was a lot. Too many even. I’m sorry but the chance that she won’t wake up…is large.

(John walks offstage and Amanda resumes pacing around this time muttering)

Richard: Calm down, look I’m not a doctor but I know there is a higher chance she’ll wake up. Just don’t listen to him what does he know? Just stay calm…and she’ll be fine.

Amanda: Calm down! One of my friends is lying on a bed here and you’re telling me to calm down! (John walks onstage) You! This is all your fault!

John: My fault? What did I do?

Richard: (Shouting) Will you both shut up and calm down! Katie’s here probably – maybe dying and all you two can do is argue about whose fault it is! What kind of friends are you?

John: (Nastily) Yea Amanda, calm down here take a chill pill. (Hands Amanda a pill)

Amanda: (Throwing the pill angrily at him) You’re sick! One of my friends is lying in here trapped in a coma and you’re offering me what put her there! You make me sick!

(John and Richard sit down on a chair Amanda moves to centre blue spotlight on her.)

Amanda: Monologue.

(After the monologue Amanda sits on the empty chair, the blue light goes off and the normal lights come back on)

Amanda: I don’t want any more of these pills. I don’t want to end up like her. (Points at Katie)

Richard: What happened? How many did she take?

John: I gave her five…she wasn’t supposed to take them altogether though…maybe she just took two or three. She was in a bad mood and looked messed up about something but she wouldn’t tell me what I thought they might loosen her up so I gave them to her. She didn’t want them but I did it anyway.

Richard: if she didn’t want them…why did you give them too her? (John shrugs)

Amanda: What are these questions going to do? We are all supposed to be good friends…how are all these questions gonna help? We should just sit here and wait for some news…just wait.

Richard: I am not sitting with him (points at John) I want him out! He has no right to be here! (Picks up John pushes him towards exit)

John: OI! What are you doing? Get off me!

Richard: GET OUT! STAY OUT! I don’t want you near any off us again! If she dies –

John: If she dies it’s her own fault! And I wouldn’t bother going to the police either. I know how you think. (Richard lets go and goes to hit him Amanda jumps up and holds him back John exits laughing.)

Amanda: She won’t die.

Richard: even if she doesn’t I’m still going to the police.

Amanda: You won’t need to, that doctor said they were gonna be informed anyway but…maybe you shouldn’t tell them about John. He’ll kill you.

Richard: I don’t care. (They both sit on the chairs and freeze. Blue spotlight on table, normal lights off Katie sits up.)

Katie: Monologue.

(Heart monitor goes flat when Katie has said ‘I wish it would stop’. Blackout.)

End of scene

----------------------------------------

Katie: Yet being the main word!

(Amanda walks off leaving Katie on her own.)

Amanda: Oh my god did you just hear her?

Richard: No what did she say?

Amanda: She’s flipping well preaching! Going on about how if you take drugs you’ll die and how pathetic it all is!

John: Just ignore her she’s a stuck up bitch. She can’t even take a few chill pills. It’s not like it’s going to hurt her.

(Richard and Amanda move about taking the mick out of Katie, Katie watches this clutching the drugs.)

Katie: Monologue.

(At the end of Katie’s monologue she takes the whole packet of drugs and collapses. Lights fade to blue everyone freezes, ambulance can be heard in background.)

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:05 am
gloriana wrote a review...

@dreaming_mouse,

There is a powerful dynamic between the 3 friends all throughout this script, and this makes for a gripping piece of theatre.

However there is room for improvement on the subject of making your language more natural. Just how three friends, Richard's and John's strained relationship in particular, would react in this nail biting atmosphere. This unexpectedly becomes an anti bullying story and in the final scene you used that element of surprise angle to your advantage, making what at first seemed a random scene into a harrowing recapitulation of previous events.

All characters with the exception of Katie (as not enough is known about her) are extremely volatile and prone to violence, with easy access to drugs like ecstasy. This point cannot be stressed enough as it is the reason Katie, John, Amanda and Richard were exposed to hardship in the first place.

This script made an impression and was an enjoyable read, my only criticism being what I said above.

Gloriana

I wouldn't think "impossible" was even in your vocabulary.
— Sharpay Evans, High School Musical