The Many Gifts of Malia--Part 13: "The Dwarf"

by dragonfphoenix

Maas Telos epitomized a dwarf’s dream heaven. Mountains ranged across the horizon, stretching up to the sky to trail their tips through the clouds like fingers in a river. Thick forests carpeted the mountainsides in lush, velvet leaves, and any breeze not permeated by the sappy smell of pine and oak carried the scent of charcoal and mineshafts. The sun glowed the warm amber of sunset, regardless of the hour. Whenever the gods wanted a scented candle smelling of the forest, they sent the candlemakers to Maas Telos to harvest the smells of this world.

I’d always thought the forge looked like it’d been fashioned from a mountain. Although it had four, smooth sides, its polished granite surface showed no signs of mortar nor marks of brick. The roof was an uneven conic, smoke rising from the flue like a volcano rousing from slumber. Muffled dings found their way out of the depths of the forge, heralding the work occurring far below. The thick oak door, which could substitute for most mortal city gates, yawned open to vent heat.

Malia and Hasda were waiting by the entrance, standing to the side out of the way of the steam. Hasda wore rich brown robes that, while flowing, weren’t as revealing as the togas most mortals attached to deities chose to wear. For once, Malia had stayed true to her word and had left outfitting him for battle up to my discretion. As for the gorgon herself, she had her Quiver across her back, the Warbow unstrung and secured with the handful of celestial arrows she’d brought with. Not that we expected a fight from Phaeus’ smiths, but what was the point of bringing the Bow and not the arrows? Even I wouldn’t have done that.

“Did you get everything?” Malia asked as I approached. “Said your goodbyes to the old place?”

I nodded.

She arched a brow at me. “You’re not going to break down in tears on me, are you?”

“You were the one who did that when the goats happened,” I said, grinning.

Hasda looked confused. “What happened with the goats?”

“Don’t ask.” Malia shot me a withering look before smiling at him. “Your father would do well to remember not to bring that up again. But, come. You’ve waited long enough for your promised arms. And just in time, too,” she added, giving me a look. “Seppo has finished preparing the first trial. The announcement ceremony is this evening.”

“I hope you didn’t promise him legs as well.” I grunted as I heaved the bag off my shoulder.

Malia rolled her eyes. “Is the heat drying your humor out as well?”

“What’s this?” Hasda asked, cutting off my retort.

I nudged the bag with my foot, making the metal clank around. “Open it and find out.”

His eyes swelled like pomegranates when he saw the weaponry. “Is this for me?”

“Of course.”

“These grubby old things are why I couldn’t outfit you in something proper the moment you arrived,” Malia said, managing to sound both miffed and pleased. “We’ll have the smiths polish everything up after we’ve collected your father’s things.”

Hasda held the chestplate up, his eyes shining. “Did these used to be yours?”

I chuckled. “Personally? No. But I had mortal champions, back when I was active. Seemed a shame to let them go to waste.”

“The part he’s not saying,” Malia said, laying a hand on Hasda’s shoulder, “is that he’s really proud of you and too stubborn to admit he was secretly hoping you’d get to wear these one day.”

I grumbled something but didn’t deny it.

“Thanks, Dad.” Hasda’s face shone with pure joy. “It means a lot to me.”

“It’s nothing.” I shrugged and tried to bulldoze over the awkwardness by ignoring it. Malia came to my rescue.

“Where is that infernal dwarf?” She huffed and folded her arms. “I told him to be ready and waiting before I arrived.”

“Apologies, Vain One.” A stumpy, stocky little man with a thick, brown beard and a scorched leather apron thumped his way out of the forge, cradling a pair of creamy-white metal rods in his arms. “But I wouldn’t dare return the Sword and Spear without giving them a once-over before. It would damage my reputation, and he, ah, might damage a fair bit more than that if I gave them back in any state short of pristine.”

“You’ve always done fine work, Phaeus,” I said, accepting the twin rods from the dwarf. As my hands settled around them, their protective wardings fell away, revealing the full form and splendor of the celestial weapons.

The Spear, fashioned after the hoplite dory, stood nearly twice as tall as I, although I could will it shorter as needed. Phaeus had polished the triangular head to a blinding gleam, and the shaft glinted from a fresh coat of lacquer. As I angled the Spear across my back, it shrank down as its wardings covered it and affixed itself diagonally to my back.

Although the Sword was no Excalibur, it certainly was majestic. With the length of a greatsword and the weight of an arming sword, thanks to the celestial steel, it had given me great pleasure to scythe through opposing armies. Its size and relative ease of use made it an extremely intimidating weapon to face down, no less so because I wielded it. Unlike the Spear, however, the Sword had a sheath, which masked the magic of the blade shrinking and gave it a resting length similar to a dagger. I affixed the sheath to my belt and settled the Sword on my left.

I sighed, content. It felt good to have my Weapons on me again. With the Signs of my Office back on my person, Malia and I could publicly acknowledge our co-seating. Most likely we would spring that fact on the rest of the pantheon this evening, after Seppo’s announcement of the trials, since I was sure Malia had kept my return secret from all but Seppo himself.

While I’d been occupied reacquainting myself with my Weapons, Malia had helped the lad try on the armor. Phaeus stood beside them, providing a scathing commentary of her fumbling efforts and the sorry state of disrepair that had claimed the weaponry. The dwarf was perhaps the only deity in all of Nebesa who could mouth off to Malia and emerge unscathed, mainly because he had a hidey-hole that the gorgon would never dare breach. In a contest between her feathers and the forge’s heat, her wings would always come out on the losing end.

Finally, Malia had had enough. “Phaeus, kindly shut your mouth and make yourself useful.”

“Or what?” he said, giving her a broad, confident grin. Arms folded, he was relaxed, his feet flat on the ground.

She flashed him a smile that was pure predator. “Or I’ll send Charax after you.”

Scowling, the dwarf squinted an eye at her, then me. His arms slowly unfolded and fell to his sides. “You wouldn’t do that, now, would you?” he asked me. “I’ve always been good to you.”

“That you have, Phaeus.” I crossed my arms and cracked my neck. “But it has been a few centuries since I’ve had a good run. While you’ve got the endurance on me, do you have the speed?”

The dwarf shifted uneasily and inched towards the door, then scowled and erupted in a torrent of curses, stamping the ground with his boots. “You old skeleton! You had me going on there for a moment.”

I chuckled. “The look on your face will be one of my most prized memories.”

Grumbling, the dwarf folded his arms and leaned against the forge door, his face sulky.

Malia fastened the last shoulder plate onto Hasda and frowned at me. “Is that it?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I don’t mind,” Hasda said, trying a few experimental twists. “I’m honored to have this armor.”

“Precious little as there is,” Malia said, her face sour.

“I can give the boy a coat of chainmail,” Phaeus offered. He eyed the armor with a look that rivaled Malia’s displeasure. “After I give that a proper scouring, of course.”

“No chain mail,” Malia said, a little too quickly. I gave her a questioning look but she shushed me. “Greaves and bracers would be nice, though. Preferably matching, both each other and the gifted armor.”

“Demanding, aren’t we?” Phaeus pushed off the door and trundled over to help Hasda remove the armor. He took the helmet in his hands and flipped it around. “What color plumage do you want? Purple?”

“Yes,” Malia said.

“No,” I said at the same time.

Malia glared at me and I gave her a toothy grin. She thought she had me whipped already, but even with our reunion hookup I wasn’t going to be swayed that easily.

“Carthian blue,” I said, not breaking my stare with the gorgon. “Hasda is my champion as much as yours, and as he’s ours he’ll represent us both.”

“You good with that?” Phaeus asked him.

Hasda nodded. “I have no objections.”

“Smart lad.” Phaeus winked at him and collected the rest of the armor, as well as the sword. Arms full, he trudged into the forge. “I’ll have these repaired and augmented by tomorrow night. Three days, max, if I have spare greaves and bracers that won’t require too much refashioning. Otherwise, end of the week, tops.”

“Thank you, Phaeus,” Malia called after him. Her voice was sweet but her eyes were shooting daggers my way.

“Don’t mention it,” the dwarf replied, disappearing inside the forge.

When Phaeus was out of earshot, Hasda faced Malia with a serious expression and said, “Please don’t be mad at Charax. I know the symbolism means a lot to him, and he would have preferred his orange, but he went with a color that represents both of you. So, please, no fighting.”

Malia’s eyebrows rose. “Quite the forward one, aren’t you?”

“Charax says it’s called initiative.”

She choked on a laugh and gave me a foxy grin. “Oh, did he, now?”

“Goats,” I said, glowering.

She laughed. “Let’s get out of here before your father really does start a fight.” After tracing an oval in the air, she snapped her fingers, and her violet portal flared to life. Together we stepped through, transported to Maas Bierg to feast and receive the details of Hasda’s first trial.

Mon May 24, 2021 8:27 am

Hi! I'm baaack...getting pretty close to being halfway done now...let's see....hopefully I can in fact pull this off.

First Impression: Well..that was a fun introduction to who I assume is like the main armorer of the gods or something along those lines...also these goats seem suuper interesting...I must know more.

Ahh all these epic descriptions for these epic diving locations...they're all done soo well in this story...and I love the images they create...you really do get a sense for the scale and atmosphere of a place right away and that's just soo helpful as a reader.

Well...that does seem like quite the mishap...unless the bow is somehow magic and doesn't need arrows to shoot...although I guess considering she was wearing a quiver of arrows earlier its probably important.

I nodded.

Uh oh...now that's a story I would love t here.

Oh dear...poor Hasda is going to just be in continuous confusion about the inside jokes between these two isn't he....I love that fact.

Ahh...have I mentioned how much I love the dialogue and humor in this story.

“Of course.”

Oooh...well this is going to be a big moment for him.

Hmm...seems like a good idea to not throw them out...old things definitely have a lot of value and power that you just can't see.

Oooh...that's fun...

Ahh...awkwardness...another essential thing for a good story.

Well...that dwarf definitely knows exactly what's good for himm....seems like the perfect guy to be serving all of those gods and maintain their weapons.

Welll...cool description ahead I see....

Yup...that's a pretty cool desgin...sounds very functional too...which is a very important thing when it comes to these things that not many people tend to think about.

Well that is definitely quite convenient to have the reach of one of them giant swords while not being too heavy to handle...also seems like a pretty cool weapon there and it being able to shrink down to the size of a dagger definitely sounds like it would make for a very convenient feature.

That is definitely going to be a very interesting announcement...I wonder how the other gods will be taking it.

Well...that is an awesome image right there...the dwarf taking advantage of his ability to hide and totally mouthing off Malia...ahh...this is gold....

Ooooh...she has a new card she can play now...that throws a wrench into his bad mouthing...

Ooooh Charax playing along here I see....

Ahh...this dwarf is proving to be quite a good character so far...and Charax having a bit of fun at his expense is also lovely to see...shows that they do know each other fairly well.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Hmm...well Malia's not impressed it appears...

Hmm..well that makes sense though...you do kind of want a full suit of armor if you're going into your first battle.

Hmm...well he agreed to that pretty quickly...looks like Hasda over here is about to get himself a nice amount of armor to start with after all.

“Yes,” Malia said.

“No,” I said at the same time.

Hehe...Charax still holding his own so far...but for how much longer?

“You good with that?” Phaeus asked him.

Hasda nodded. “I have no objections.”

Well...I don't see how else Hasda could've responded to that...being the only regular mortal there....

Hmm...that seems like a reasonable time to have armor fixed up...I think...also someone's slightly mad I see.

Oooh Hasda playing mediator...wasn't quite expecting that one...

“Charax says it’s called initiative.”

“Goats,” I said, glowering.

Oooh...I really want to know about these goats...ahhh...

Well this should be an interesting feast...

Overall: OOooh boy...we're getting quite hyped up for this feast now....lets see what happens in that one now shall we?

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:01 am
Spearmint wrote a review...

Ahh sorry I meant to review this earlier, but my silly brain forgot T_T But I'm here now, and once again, this was an amazing chapter!!

Mountains ranged across the horizon, stretching up to the sky to trail their tips through the clouds like fingers in a river.

Ooh I love the personification here, and the imagery is so beautiful too! Maas Telos sounds like a wonderful place ^-^

Whenever the gods wanted a scented candle smelling of the forest, they sent the candlemakers to Maas Telos to harvest the smells of this world.

This is a rather interesting detail as well; it seems to humanify the gods more. Like the fact that they have scented candles too makes them seem more relatable to me somehow, which is pretty cool. C:

...the Warbow unstrung and secured with the handful of celestial arrows she’d brought with. Not that we expected a fight from Phaeus’ smiths, but what was the point of bringing the Bow and not the arrows?

I'm probably missing something here, but it seems like Malia did bring arrows? Is this part trying to say that if she were going to bring arrows, she should have brought more or something? Or is it talking about a different set of arrows? I thought this section was a bit confusing, but it might just be me ^-^
And also just a super tiny thing-- maybe "arrows" should be capitalized, because they seem to be part of Malia's weapon too? Although that might be too much capitalization, so maybe not. Just a thought :]

“You old skeleton! You had me going on there for a moment.”

Ahaha I loved reading about the interaction between Malia, Charax, and Phaeus! I could tell that they're pretty good friends, despite Charax seeming to be slightly more powerful than Phaeus (at least how I saw it :p). Like the rest of your novel, your characterization is awesome here!

Together we stepped through, transported to Maas Bierg to feast and receive the details of Hasda’s first trial.

Ooh I can't wait to find out what Hasda's first trial is going to be! Great job on this chapter, and I'm looking forward to the next one! ^-^

The arrows thing, I was trying to say that the reason she brought the arrows was because it was pointless to bring just the Bow. I didn't capitalize arrows because they're "consumable" (i.e. ammo that gets spent) and so while you need them to actually use the Bow, they're not inherently tied to the Symbol of her Office. Since there's kind of a connection between the god/their spirit/their Symbol, it felt really weird to have a Symbol be fragments of them that could be lost/damaged. So they're just expendable things.

As always, these characters are a blast to write. :)

Spearmint says...

Ahh I see, yeah that makes sense! Thanks for explaining! C:

Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review!

I really enjoyed this section. It was so fun to see Hasda again. I kinda missed him. I'm also really curious about what the next section will bring, and what the trials will be like!

One thing I really enjoyed reading in the chapter was the exchanges between all the characters. I always struggle with discussions between more than two people, but I feel like you incorporate equal amounts of dialogue for people. It flows very nicely. I love all the little jokes they say, and Phaeus is a great character. I think one of my favorite lines was the "Charax calls it initiative." I don't know why that made me laugh so much, but I absolutely adored it. Also, what happened with the goats?

Your descriptions of the dwarf land was also really nice. It sounded super peaceful and scenic. I did wonder though, is that part of Nebesa? How to the worlds work in the world you're writing in. Are they all part of the same world but are like different countries? Are they more like different dimensions?

One thing I wondered about was your capitalization. I noticed you tended to do it when you were talking about weapons and such, to provide emphasis. I feel like it worked better on some words than others. For example, when you mentioned the Warbow, I feel like that word was unique enough to warrant capitalization. I think on words that are more general, like quiver, the capitalization just looks kind of funny. There's nothing about it that would warrant capitalization. It's almost like making a normal word a proper noun. I think that could be remedied if you gave it a more unique title, one that would sound more like a proper noun. There were also points (most notably when you said "It felt good to have my Weapons on me again. With the Signs of my Office back on my person.") where the capitalization just felt excessive and unnecessary. Those are just my thoughts, though.

This piece looks pretty good grammar wise.

Overall: super nice job! I always enjoy reading your stuff, and I'm realllllyyyy looking forward to the next bit.

Thanks! These characters are super fun to write.

The goats will be explained later on ;)

The capitalization is for the symbols of a god's office. It's something I'll probably clean up during revision but for now I'm trying to use it for "this is a special X because it's tied to the god's identity/representation/power." So a forest god with a stick would have their Stick.

HJYoung wrote a review...

Hey, HJ here with a review.

I haven’t read any of the other chapters, but you are a very good writer. Really!

Ok, now for the review-I very much like the descriptive and vibrant tones you use in the text to convey the setting and humor. I think the humor is very good as well, and I can see no visible grammatical or spelling errors. This story is quite funny and quirky, and the characters are quite detailed and easy to understand. Overall, I would give this a 10/10 overall-I better read all of the other chapters!

Thanks! I hope you like them. I've been hearing good things about the earlier chapters as well :)

HJYoung says...

np, I%u2019m looking forward to it.

Look, a good poem is a poem that exists. Any poem you write is better than the poem you don't.
— WeepingWisteria