Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Humor

​Advice from a Semi-professional Memer

by dragonfphoenix

1.   Find a good site to repost EVERYTHING from. If you’re not spreading the images like a plague, you’re not doing it right.

2.   Don’t repost EVERYTHING. Because “EVERYTHING” is just a word in all-caps and people would quickly get bored with it.

3.   Be sensitive about what you repost, but don’t let sensitivity cripple you. Good humor is going to offend someone, even if it’s not meant to be offensive.

4.   On the other hand, some “offensive” humor is good for society because it gets issues into conversation in ways other media (like “news” and politics can’t). Humor also puts things in a different perspective than the standard “serious” conversation topics accomplish.

5.   Learn from your mistakes. Not everyone finds the same things funny, but there is also a clear “this isn’t funny” line that you can cross. Try to find that line before you cross, instead of after the fact.

6.   Be yourself. Just because all your publicly displayed humor is borrowed doesn’t mean you can’t make it yours. It also helps if you’re a living meme, then you can’t be accused of borrowing yourself.

7.  Don’t be afraid to express a dissenting opinion. See #3.

8.   Plaster absolutely everything in the most morbid light possible. After all, he who laughs loudest laughs loudest in the face of death, right?

9.   Pure positivity should be encouraged all the time, and being positively contradictory opens up a plethora of possibilities to further propagate positivity.

10.  Make contradictory statements. See #8 and #9 for a case study.

11.   Don’t create lists that end in odd or prime numbers. Absolutely NO math jokes, either. *glares at 42*

And now, a potato.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 pm
SpookyRose wrote a review...

Hello there! This is the first thing i've reviewed so...sorry in advanced!

Firstly i'd like to say i did find it quite funny, but I see a lot of room for improvement, to make it funnier.

One of the general problems i found with this is that some of it seems to be ironic and some of it's actual advice. I think it would be best to pick one and stick with it, instead of switching back and forth from trying to be funny and trying to make a point.

Besides that, i found this quite funny! Keep working on humor and i know this can be meme-tastic (im so sorry)

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:41 pm
Kaylaa wrote a review...

Hi there dragonpfphoenix. I don't believe we've properly met before, but this is Kays (I believe I've been using Nikayla still for the past couple reviews) dropping in for a review.

My initial reaction isn't very strong towards this.There's nothing that pulls me in as the formatting and structure both aren't all that strong with this being another one of those list articles. I'm sorry to say that there's no hook or joke that pulls the reader in with this. What's the deal with being a 'semi-professional memer' first of all? Are you paid to repost memes or is this just a hobby of yours?

I'm going to hope that it's not the former and going to assume that this is the latter seeing as I've seen memes from TheMetaPicture reposted onto your wall and shared by others. I can already see your first point actually being executed which while you're sticking to your word, just because you know how to use the code or save that picture as a file and upload it onto the People feed doesn't make a funny, at least not for me.

Going in I thought that this may actually go into the business into how funnies are made or how funnies originate or even how to make a funnie popular. Unfortunately, none of this is done here? We're left with the suggestion to repost and to not be afraid to be a bit risky because humor is risky but not too risky and to be morbid as can be and also positive--all of this is said and the audience doesn't earn any real advice so I suppose this is meant to be taken as a joke. The potato at the end is random humor which I don't get? I don't understand the comedic value of a potato. Ha ha, a vegetable. What's the point?

I can see your attempt at being humorous and as this is, I have to say it's not all that effective. I don't even dislike memes either! I love the 'they protec but they also attac' ones that are coming out and I can even appreciate The Room for being such a bad movie but all of those are natural and don't feel gimmicky. They don't feel forced or made up. They feel fluid and real. Look at what others do right in doing humor and memes justice and go from there if you're going to revise or edit this.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on this list of yours. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 am
Wizard says...

I can't tell whether or not this is ironic XD

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 pm
AtlasW says...

I suck at reviewing things because...well...I'm pretty lazy, but I did really enjoy thus article. It made me laugh out loud. Now my sister is looking at me weird...
Anyway, overall, good job! (ErMerGerd I suck at this XD)

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:00 pm
Sheyren says...

I'm reviewing this tomorrow. Cause, potato.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:33 pm
Tuckster wrote a review...

Hey there! MJ taking a break from my reviewing rampage to... review.

Some things I would argue, to critique your arguments and strengthen them and because I argue with anyone about anything and everything

3. Be sensitive about what you repost, but don’t let sensitivity cripple you. Good humor is going to offend someone, even if it’s not meant to be offensive.

While I can see where you're going here, I think that the best jokes and memes are those that don't poke fun at minority groups, like racist, sexist, or homophobic jokes. In that case, the best jokes are those that don't offend anyone.

5. Learn from your mistakes. Not everyone finds the same things funny, but there is also a clear “this isn’t funny” line that you can cross. Try to find that line before you cross, instead of after the fact.

Couldn't agree more^

Overall thoughts:

This was a really funny article that had just the right amount of seriousness to where it could be used as an actual guide for memers. It started off more serious, especially in numbers 1-5, but as you got towards numbers 11, it just became something like 'the unwritten rules of the internet'. One suggestion I have for you is to change the title from 'semiprofessional' to 'professional', since what really qualifies someone as a professional memer? It's always good to brag a little bit on the title, as long as you're able to fulfill that expectation in the substance. I would also try and make this into an official 10 list, since you repeated yourself in a few of the points.

The potato was flawless. Bravo. Bravo.

@Sheytato would be proud.

MJ out!

*poof*

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson