Greater Elsewhere

by doubt_all

This is the first in a four book series of which the first is completed (in its 3rd draft.) It's 200,000 words long, and I'll post it a few chapters at a time as the crits come in... because they're just rolling in. (Note the sarcasm: the lowest form of irony that is my friend.)

Just to warn you, if you did not previously, I advise you to heed the R rating.

(Note: All first person thoughts are supposed to be italicized as they are in ms word, but I'm too lazy to go through it all again here, so just imagine that they're italicized.)

GREATER ELSEWHERE

Prologue

Mornings are supposed to be calm, but when the sun broke the horizon in Halverstire that day, the world was anything but calm. The sickness had reached the suburbs, bringing with it the moans of the dying and the constant wails of ambulance sirens.

Maggie whispered a prayer for the dead, whoever they were, closing it with a reverential, “For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.”

According to the Maiyern, prayers for those who’d already passed on were pointless, but Maggie didn’t hold to that belief. The ignorance of the Maiyern priesthood was not a well-kept secret. What did old men in clean, well-lit churches know of real suffering? They didn’t know it as Maggie did – they weren’t here, now, praying with her as dawn’s light spilled into the room, drenching it and the rest of the suburbs in dull crimson. She sighed, toying with a loose thread at the hem of her blouse as she watched the ambulances flit past the house. The meaningless habit was somehow comforting against the dull and constant pressure of the world and its demands.

This had to be the end of it all: the end of the world. President Hopkins had released a press statement just the other day announcing that researchers had whipped up a vaccine – too late, of course. Not that the announcement didn’t come without sighs of relief for many, but it certainly didn’t do too much to console the Nivean States, the world’s last superpower, when its president was found with his wrists slit in a bathtub two hours after assuring the public that everything would soon be back to normal.

A cough from the next room quickly reminded her that there was no such thing as normal anymore. She yanked the loose thread free from her blouse and turned away from the window.

There were more coughs, becoming violent as she approached her nephew’s crib.

Poor kid, she thought, resting her forearms on the crib’s rail. He was barely four months old and the plague had already taken his mother during childbirth and his father just days before.

She stood straight again and hugged herself at the thought of her nephew’s parents, her big sister and brother-in-law. The world felt so different without her sister. She had no better word to describe it, this lack of feeling. It was strange that she should feel so little over the loss; she had been close to her sister, but she had grown closer still, in recent days, to the suffering. It had conditioned her – become a part of her.

Once again, a simple task lifted the weight from her mind; she frisked for a towel in the hamper at the foot of the child’s crib, eventually picking a red one because it was softer than the rest. She plopped it unceremoniously into a nearby tub, as the baby’s coughs turned to shrill wails.

“Shhh. No, don’t cry. Shhh,” Maggie said as she pulled the sopping-wet towel over his tiny forehead. She scolded herself for not wringing it out first when the water ran into the baby’s already watering eyes, making him cry louder. She wrung the excess water out into the tub and tried again.

“Your mother wouldn’t want you to cry. Be good for her… please… Please!”

The child wouldn’t settle though, and Maggie let out a wail of frustration to match him. She tried to plug his toothless mouth with a soother – smother the thing, she thought – but he turned his head away whenever she got close, glaring at her with those too-intelligent gray eyes before wailing even louder, as if just to spite her. As he continued his morning song, he bounced up and down, arms thrashing, his feverish face as red as the cloth in her hand.

“What’s wrong? Stop that! Stop that right now! Here, take this–”

She tried to stuff the soother in the baby’s mouth again, succeeding only after she held his head steady with her other hand. The baby settled, finally, and she retracted her hands, from the child’s face. She hated touching him, having her cool skin meet the molten heat of his.

I should be more caring… I should care! This is my nephew for Maiyora’s sake! For my sister’s sake…

She worked up some spit and gulped it down, to slow the thickening feeling in her throat before leaning over to plant her lips on the baby’s brow. The heat made her wince though, and she couldn’t keep the contact up for very long before recoiling guiltily.

This was more than she could handle. She was only seventeen! She wasn’t ready for this kind of responsibility… she wasn’t ready… but she couldn’t let her big sister down now. The thought of her sister brought on the tears this time. Her chest clenched painfully as violent, shuddering sobs wracked her. Something had filled the emptiness. She didn’t know what had triggered the despair this time but was strangely glad for it. At least now there was something to feel; her emotions didn’t belong to the Void.

Maggie shook her head and ran one of her long, pale hands through her hair, breaking the knots as it went along. Her gaze wandered over to her bed before returning to the child in his crib. He consumed every one of her waking hours, always crying, but never this loudly before. At times, like now, she was almost tempted to put the creature out of its misery… put it down like a bad breed of dog. Then she would scold herself for being so weak. Her sister had never been weak. Her sister had been perfect.

She wiped her eyes. They were almost as red as the boy’s face, and she didn’t want to show weakness to her sister’s child. He was too precious and too scared already. Maggie needed to be strong for the both of them, so she gathered her wits and took a deep breath, prepared to do whatever it took to comfort him. The bags under her eyes lightened, her face became bright, and she dipped the cloth into the tub of water once more, ready to soothe. Ready to bow down to her responsibility.

A crash sounded from the back of the house, causing her to startle and bump her shin on the side of the crib. She swore quietly to herself and gripped the leg before freezing, suddenly realizing what the crash could mean. Her eyes widened, and the child stopped crying.

It couldn’t be… No. The plague hasn’t passed yet. They don’t come until after it’s moved on.

There were rumours, bitter rumours of men who followed in the wake of the plague, thieves, who killed any survivors but took the children for sale on the Vodichian slave market and anything else of value. But a vaccine had been synthesized… Soon the plague would grind to a halt, and the thieves would be out dry. Of course they were early.

Maggie’s hands quivered as she laid them upon the child’s head, maternal instincts stirring, conquering her previous fears.

More sounds drifted towards the pair from other parts of the house. Footsteps, lights snapping on and off, muffled whispers, the occasional sniffle: the sounds drew closer as the robbers assessed the property that would soon be theirs. Maggie finally found a bit of nerve and slipped across the room, silent in her soft cotton slippers. She shifted the door closed and made her way back over to the child who was whining quietly. She picked him up and headed to the window, or began to when she stepped on a creaky section of hardwood. She froze, ready to bolt, her eyes wide and bloodshot from crying.

There was a long silence. Maggie strained to hear the thieves, unable to move from where she stood. Were they coming?

I should move. I should move.

There was a creaking of hardwood again, and this time it wasn’t from her. She snapped her gaze to the door just as it banged open, so hard that paint chips flaked into the air. Her muscles screamed for her to let them move, but she wouldn’t. They screamed at her to move for the boy’s sake, for her sister’s sake; but she just wasn’t the strong one.

“Too late Missy, time’s up. This fuckin’ town’s time is up,” the thief announced as he stepped through the doorway.

“What do you want?” she asked with only the slightest waver in her voice. Her sister would have been proud, even if it had been a stupid thing to say.

“Just your possessions,” he admitted without a trace of guilt, his eyes wandering up her figure appreciatively. “All o’them o’course.” His mouth cracked into a twisted grin, and Maggie stumbled back with a whimper that sounded almost giddy.

“Alec, Turner, we got us a live one here!”

“Please, no! I mean… just don’t hurt the child. Promise not to hurt the child! Please! I’ll cooperate! I’ll do anything! Just don’t hurt him, please!”

The man snickered at her.

“I can’t really promise anything Missy. I hear that Vodich is lookin’ for fresh young’uns. I can make a lot o’money off the kid… He’ll just be one o’many. The plague’s in the major cities now. There’ll be plenty enough orphans in York ‘fore long.”

“You can’t! He’s just a baby!”

“I can’t? I think I will Missy, but first thing’s first… Let’s talk about this tension between us.” He approached, the grin crumbling from his face.

“Monster!” Maggie screamed, picking up the ceramic tub of water and hurling it at him as best she could. It tumbled lopsidedly through the air in his general direction, spilling its contents, and he was easily able to dodge aside. It shattered loudly against the titania-green wallpaper. Drops of water cascaded down the wall, creating tendrils of creeping, darker green, like the veins of a leaf that had yet to experience winter’s chill.

She cried out in horror as he lunged at her, tearing the baby from her arms. It tumbled to the ground in a rumple of blankets and tears, and Maggie struggled against the brute as he tossed her onto the bed, across from the crib, pinned her down and straddled her like an unbroken horse. The bed bounced and creaked from the impact of their bodies and soon from the man’s anticipatory rocking as he ripped her shirt open and then went fumbling with her jeans. Maggie screamed again but fell silent when she saw the child staring up at her. She had to cooperate for the child. Maybe the man would take pity…

She looked up at the man as he slid down his own jeans to reveal stained plaid boxers. The expression on his face told her everything she needed to know. He would have no mercy for the child, or for her.

He ran a rough tongue down the perfect skin of her flat, quickly rising and falling stomach, making his way upwards. His stubble scratched her as his chin brushed across the path that the tongue had taken. His hands roamed her body, touching places they shouldn’t have, and Maggie shuddered, preparing for what was to come, blinking back the tears. He stopped his roaming and brought his face level to hers.

“You ready for this Missy! You ready for me!” he shouted, spittle flying from his mouth, his breath smelling of Territine beer. He leaned back and laughed, ready to go. His stubby, dirt encrusted fingers pulled at the elastic of his boxers, toying around before his great unveiling. The tendons in his wrists became taut, and his jaw firmed. He slid the elastic down past his hips–

A gunshot.

Blood splattered across Maggie’s body.

The thief sat on top of her for a moment, rigid. A third eye of sorts had formed above his brow. The bullet lodged in his brain was the pupil, and it stared at her. A spasm shook the man’s body, and then the muscles loosened, his jaw slackened and blood dribbled out of his gaping mouth. He slumped forwards, slowly, dead.

Maggie was squealing under his corpse, and beside her stood another thief, his cold, blue eyes framed by a dark, jutting brow. A gun smoked in his hand, which tightened and loosened impulsively. He grabbed his dead companion by the shoulder and rolled him off Maggie with a rough indifference. The dead man tumbled to the floor beside the bed, and there was a resounding crack when he landed on his arm, breaking the bone beneath his lifeless flesh. The other thief gave the dead man little regard, focusing his gaze on Maggie. He raised his gun to her forehead, his face rippling with conflicting emotions, muscles tugging back and forth around his mouth and eyes.

“Please… don’t hurt the child! Help him! Please!”

The man said nothing.

He cocked his head downwards, acknowledging the baby who lay crying on the floor. Then, his cold eyes settled upon girl’s tear-streaked face. He lowered the gun and nodded to her. The nod was a promise, and she sighed with relief.

He smiled comfortingly for a moment, then his arm went up, and he shot her in the head, just as he had his partner. His smile had disappeared. He was frowning now, at what he’d had to do. He knew that he was a monster for shooting her, but he’d had no choice.

He draped a sheet over the body to cover the nakedness, to protect her modesty on her deathbed, and then he placed his gun gently down on the mattress. He closed her eyes with a practiced care and sighed, then stood still for a moment, lost in thought. His hand twitched. He scooped the gun up with his other hand and holstered it in the belt that held up his carpenter-cut jeans. The saviour and executioner likewise scooped up the child and cradled his tiny body in the crook of one arm. The baby looked up at him with suspicious gray eyes, somehow not crying.

“Okay kid,” the man said softly, almost tenderly, as a third thief entered the room.

“Alec! What the fuck did you do to Tommy?” Turner squeaked.

“He had it coming. We kill because we have to, but we don’t take advantage. My rules. Now, let’s go. The child is deep into the fever… He’ll be lucky to survive.”

“No bloody way! You killed Tommy you fucking maniac! For the love of…”

Turner touched a small stone that dangled from a chain around his neck, a tear of Maiyora.

“What are you saying, Turner? You gonna turn on me? I got you vaccinated you ungrateful prick.”

“Well…” Turner paused for a moment. He scrunched his nose in thought, something that should have been foreign to him. Finally, with his decision made, his hand darted to the holster at his waist.

Alec was faster, and Turner took three bullets to the chest. He fell in a bloody heap onto the floor, his narrow face twisted into a grimace of shock and pain, the last expression his face would ever wear. Alec stood there for a moment, gun arm still raised, baby cradled in his other arm. He was almost as shocked at his own actions as Turner had been. What was he doing? He was risking his life, for this… He looked at the baby he held.

“I was told to give them all the children,” he whispered, holstering his gun. The people he worked for were unforgiving. They’d made it clear that this would be his last and only chance at freedom. They’d made it clear what his job was. He couldn’t risk it.

The child wriggled uncomfortably, and Alec couldn’t help but sigh at the little thing.

“You won’t tell on me, will you?” Alec asked, smiling at the baby. The little creature made a gurgling sound. “You’re gonna cost me kid. You’d better be worth it.”

The baby’s feverish face drew up in juvenile seriousness, and he started to cough lightly. Alec sighed and hugged him close.

“Well I guess you ain’t gonna be worth anything dead, eh?”

Alec took the child and left the house at sunset, when suburbia was painted red by the sun’s half-faded light once more.

They headed city-ward, to York.

*

A blue dry-erase marker, the brand name on its side rubbed away by sweaty fingers, squeaked obnoxiously against a white-board. The nurses’ shift-board.

S-T-O-N-E-D-A-Y, S-E-C-O-N-D-S-P-R-I-N-G 1-0-t-h…

What year was it?

Karen fumbled around in her mind to remember it, and, after a while, she finally did. She marked it down beside the rest of the date and proceeded to fill out the tape-marked boxes with shift times, duties and the rest. She was the first of the day-shift to arrive that day. While the head-nurse Samantha was on vacation in Passinia, enjoying the azure waters of the Baextin Ocean, Karen was covering her duties. She would much rather be left to her own duties, to not have to bother. (It wasn’t as if she was earning double-pay for working double-jobs.) And Karen certainly did not regard herself as much of an altruist. No, on the contrary, she was quite a selfish woman, wanting nothing more than to be totally and utterly left-the-fuck-alone. Why she’d become a nurse she could only wonder. She hated people. She didn’t want conversation. She didn’t want to see her mother or father who were, to Karen’s dismay, still clinging to life. She didn’t want to see her brother, wherever the petty crook was. She didn’t want friends or even friendly conversations with co-workers. There was a time when she didn’t mind the occasional male companion, though she was getting on in years of late, so such things were on the bottom of her things-to-worry-about list. If it were up to her, she’d lock herself away in a room and just listen to old Mastiff records, a rock band that had composed the personal soundtrack to her life.

But she had to interact with people. She had to work. Due to circumstances her unborn self could not have foreseen – or she probably would have strangled herself with her umbilical cord – her body required sustenance that only she could provide it with. Sustenance, in its purest form: money.

Karen certainly was not popular among her colleagues, but she was the best damn nurse on the ward… excepting only Samantha. And Samantha had made reality clear to her on more than one occasion: “You’re good at what you do Karen, but nobody would shed a tear if I fired you tomorrow, so if I ask you to take my duties, you take my duties, got it?”

Oh yes, she got it. Samantha was on top, and she’d always be on top. That was the message. That was always the message.

Someone was always on top.

“Excuse me, Nurse Ford?”

Karen startled and spun around. On the other side of the polished green reception desk stood a young man, twenty-something, gawky-looking. He goggled at Karen’s breasts that were quite obvious, even under her loose-fitting uniform.

It was just Hansen, an intern.

“Get your eyes away from my chest and tell me what you want Hansen.”

The young intern aimed his eyes nervously at the roof, idiot, and mumbled something incoherent. Karen sighed, more tired than angry.

“Hansen, I meant look at me, just not at my chest, and I said tell me what the problem is.”

“W-well… uh…” Hansen’s eyes wandered down from the roof, back to her chest, then darted back to the roof again. “Well… there’s a… um… man here to see you. Said his name was Alec. Said it was important.”

He looked down, finally into her eyes, and perked up eagerly. “Do you… uh… want me to tell him to s-scram, Nurse Ford? Looks like a bit of a rough guy.”

Karen rolled her eyes.

“No Hansen, just direct him to me. Actually, you know what, tell him to meet me in room two-fourteen so we can talk in private.”

“Oh. Um… okay, Nurse Ford. Are you sure, Nurse Ford?”

“Yes, Intern Hansen, I’m sure.”

“Right. I’ll go do that then.”

The intern scampered off down the hall, and Karen waited for him to disappear from sight before venting her frustration on the second-floor reception desk, though she’d have much rather vented with her fist in Hansen’s ugly face.

What the hell does Alec want? I told the bastard to leave me alone.

She fingered the phone cord, tempted to call the cops.

“I should,” she said to the empty hall.

Her fingers wandered, clamped down on the receiver…

She closed her eyes and slumped forward, releasing the phone and quickly gripping the edge of the desk so as not to fall over. What did Alec want this time? That big part of her still wanted to be left alone, but another part of her was curious. What did Alec want? Loud, familiar footsteps began to echo down the halls, no doubt waking a few patients.

Room 214.

She lifted herself away from the desk and sucked in her gut. She couldn’t let Alec see her all slumped over like that, weak, just an aging woman starting to plump. She had to maintain some sense of superiority when dealing with her brother.

*

She expected Alec to swagger through the door as he always did, arrogant, cocky, so full-of-shit she was surprised he didn’t explode, but he didn’t. Of course he didn’t, because then it would be easier for her to deal with him, and the world just didn’t want to make anything easy for her. She had no idea what to expect from him when he slumped in through the door, carrying some kind of package in the shelter of his long cloak. He obviously wasn’t here to hit her up for money. And, though his eyes were bloodshot, it didn’t look like her baby-brother was here for drugs again. He just looked… tired, distraught. His hair was a tangled, dripping mess, creating a small pond around his feet. Rivulets of water filtered down through the fuzz of his worn cloak, clotting into damp blotches in some places and dripping straight down to the hem in others.

“It’s raining pretty hard I’m guessing,” Karen said, expecting some sarcastic or snide remark. She received nothing but a grunt.

He threw off his cloak and swept it aside with an impressive flourish, spraying water everywhere, to reveal the bundle he carried. There was a gasp, and it took Karen a moment to realize that the gasp had issued from her own throat. Her normal cold control fled her as she stood there, gaping with horror.

“My… God, Alec!”

He thrust the bundle towards her.

“Take it,” he grunted.

“No! Alec… Who’s is it? Is it yours? Maiyora help you if you expect me to take your child, Alec!”

He grinned wolfishly, a little of his old self seeping through, though gruffer. She’d never seen him like this before, face dark with stubble, voice grating. New scars decorated his face, a face so different from the one she’d always known.

“Well I’m glad you’re invoking Maiyora to help me, sister,” he growled. “Maybe you should take it then, if Maiyora is with me. Take it.”

“I never said Maiyora answered my prayers!” she bit back, though with less fire than she would have preferred.

He chuckled. “Dear sister. I’m glad you didn’t go naïve on me while I was gone. It would have been a pity for the world to lose the strongest woman I know. Come on, take him. Take him.”

Karen couldn’t help but smile, smile and sigh as she took the baby from his arms. He handed her a note also, the word Alec scrawled on a diner napkin. She looked up at him quickly, eyes wide.

His grin broke into a dark smile.

“Yes, I know how to read and write now. This is just a little sampling. I can do more than just my name, but this was the first thing I wrote.” He nodded at the napkin in her hand. “For you. Just like the baby. Both for you.”

“Alec… I can’t take this baby. I just can’t.”

“Karen… he has the plague.”

She gasped, almost dropping him. She’d been vaccinated, but still.

“H-have you got… the plague, Alec? Is that why you look…?”

“No. No.” Alec waved her away as she stepped forward. “I… worked a deal for a vaccine. I, um, work with a team that does damage control, cleaning and stuff, finding children in the wake of the plague.”

Karen’s eyes narrowed sceptically. “Then why are you bringing me this?”

“Please, sis. Don’t ask questions. I… promised his mother that I’d take care of him.”

“So why don’t you, Alec?” She pursed her lips in a thin line, as wide as they could go, and shook her head. “Typical you. Never good on your word. Always–”

“Karen, please.”

“–shirking responsibility. Never owning–”

“Karen!”

“–up to your damned mistakes! Expecting others to clean up your messes!”

“Karen! It’s not like that!”

“Really, Alec? Really? Well guess what? I don’t believe you. I don’t believe you.”

She shoved the baby at him and it woke with a start, beginning to wail. He took the boy and promptly hushed him. They were quiet, all three of them, for a long while as Alec cradled the baby tenderly. Finally, he looked up with those tired blue eyes of his.

He said, “Tell me sis, what kind of father do you think I’d make?”

The question shocked her.

“I… don’t know. I’d never thought…”

“Not a very good one, I don’t doubt, and that’s a risk I’m not taking. I still have a job to do, Karen. I’ll be leaving this baby here, like it or not, to return to my masters like a good doggy. There’s nothing you can do about it. Now either you take this child, care for it and give it the life it deserves, he deserves, or you leave him. Your choice. This is as far as I can take him.”

Silence again.

Karen reached out and stroked the baby’s head. His skin was on fire. Without medical attention, he would die, but Alec hadn’t needed to mention that. She knew. They both knew. To give the child to Alec was to kill it. She was his only hope. She could save a life. The kid would be deformed from the sickness as all the survivors were, but he would be alive.

I’m don’t care about anyone! I don’t care! I don’t care about this child… or my brother. I don’t give a–

“Alright,” she said, contriving to check her watch – normally a nervous habit – pretending to care less than she really did. “Give him to me.”

Alec sighed and handed her the baby again.

“And uh… one more thing sis…”

“You need money, don’t you?”

He shrugged and donned the rain-soaked cloak again.

“Whatever you have on you would be fine. I burned up my cash getting me and the boy here.”

“The boy and I,” Karen corrected, eyeing the child in her arms sceptically, as if the strange thing might explode on her at any second.

“Whatever,” Alec said.

Karen stripped her wallet bare and handed the cash over to him.

He flipped through it, grunted and left.

Karen shook her head with disgust. “No thanks,” she said to the baby. “Nothing ever changes.”

*

The celebrity sperm and egg market was the country’s newest craze in the wake of the plague. The sons and daughters of Nivean film and music stars like Max Kinney, Holly Temere or Phillipio Tanner could be yours for the modest starting price of fifty-grand a pop. Egg donation was a bit more of a rarity, usually coming from stars of the small-screen or washed-up supermodels, though a few of the women of Sinders County were willing to go through the risks of surgery for the immediate cash reward. It was said that an egg from Hilary Monnarde was worth upwards of half-a-million smackers. And there weren’t any refunds if the implant failed or the child died of birthing complications.

Celebrity sperm sales were in considerably higher demand, especially for rich couples with an impotent husband. It was common a tongue-in-cheek practice for a couple – with one firing blanks – to pretend that they conceived the child naturally. Then, in future years, while sitting around a television watching the entertainment news, a picture of the child’s biological father would spark interesting conversations, usually beginning with something like this: “Why Timmy, did anyone ever tell you that you are the spitting image of Michael Hopper but with red hair?”

So it was that when Samantha returned from vacation all knocked up, the mocking question began to fly.

“Who’s is it?”

Not that Samantha could have afforded celebrity sperm on a nurse's wage, even as the head nurse of South York General, but still.

Karen could have cared less about the gossip, but at least it redirected the whispers and curious stares away from her, the one who’d supposedly discovered a baby abandoned in front of the hospital doors. That had not been easy to explain to her colleagues, the walking mouths with eyes and ears. Of course, any claim she might have had to the baby was now gone, as she’d only found the thing after all. Now it was being treated for the plague, and she had no excuse to see it. None at all. She’d even been stupid enough to hand over the napkin with her brother’s name on it, claiming that it had been left with the child. That had become the baby’s name.

She should have been glad that the child was off her hands, that it wasn’t her problem anymore.

“How’s Alec doing?” she found herself asking the asshole Doctor Monroe who was responsible for treating victims of the plague.

“Why do you care?”

Yes, why do I care?

“No reason. Um, do you know what’s going to happen to him?”

He shrugged.

“The orphanages have almost reached their quota, so if they don’t take him and nobody adopts him… what happens to him?”

“Karen, how the hell would I know? I’d imagine someone will come to collect him. Now, do you mind? I’m kind of busy.”

The baby’s fate was down to her, but what could she do?

A whole lot of nothing, that’s what.

She wouldn’t be adopting the kid. That was for sure. That she’d vowed. Not for her brother. Not for some dead bitch who couldn’t keep her fly zipped. Not for anyone. But still… she couldn’t just let him disappear. She couldn’t let the world forget about him, just cut him loose and run. She felt responsible for him. He’d been left under her charge. She decided to pay a visit to a friend, the term being a loose one whenever she was concerned.

Her old Hemington Sedan pulled up in front of a pair of towering black metal gates and, after a few seconds pause, they swung open with a shuddering groan; the maw of the beast opened to admit her. A fat, gluttonous beast. She parked in front of the white awning and tried to hold her head high as she stepped out of the car. He was probably watching. He was always watching, somehow.

It had been almost seven years since she’d met the man, Tim. It had been almost seven years since she’d caught him blackmailing some city big-wig at a charity ball. One thing had lead to another… She’d been engaged to a young senator at the time, though they’d broken it off two days before the scheduled wedding. The break-up was probably a direct result of Karen having become Tim’s lover. Probably. She had been, she knew now, young and foolish.

The butler answered the door, a fat, short man with a moustache and tiny little eyes jammed into plump sockets. He was incredibly old, and the way he wheezed made Karen suspect that he would probably die soon.

“I called. Tim’s expecting me.”

“Follow me, Ms. Ford,” he said.

He took her through the house to a glass-enclosed garden in the back, surprisingly modest in size, modest having about as much square-footage as a small city block. Layered walls of pine trees lined the glass walls outside, their needles crashing together loudly from the harsh wind of the winter that was upon them. Karen had to struggle even harder to maintain composure. Even when she’d been sleeping with the man, it was never easy; Tim was… imposing.

The trees outside cast the greenhouse in shade, and within the shade grew a variety of ferns, hostas and jag-leaved hellebores, clinging to their dark-enshrouded lives with inspiring determination, but Karen didn’t even see them. They didn’t register to her in Tim’s presence. He stood at the end of a narrow bridge that spanned a stream winding through the garden. His feet were together, back stiff and straight, chin level, just like a soldier at attention except his hands were clasped in front of him, kneading each other.

“Hello Karen.”

“T-Tim,” she said, quickly checking behind her for the fat butler. He was gone. She was alone with the man of her nightmares, and she could only comprehend the feeling as surreal. It had been so many years.

He probed her with his eyes… those eyes. She tried to avert her own gaze but found it ensnared by some sick fascination, like the desire to know how one would eventually die, how all of it would end. It was like staring into the Void, completely empty and uncaring. They were barely recognizable as human, and the sight of them made her sick. Her stomach churned, filling the back of her throat with a sickly sour, burning taste.

“What do you want, Karen? I thought you never wanted to see me again.”

She gulped past the taste, still unable to break the spell of those dark orbs – gouged things, slashed, blackened, pitted – utterly destroyed yet still remarkably there, still intense, still alive and seeing. Tim normally wore shaded glasses to hide them, but for her he showed them off quite intentionally.

She bit her lower lip, not wanting to let it out, not wanting to admit her weakness, but it spilled out anyway: “I need… your help.”

There was a long pause in which the only sound was of the stream, the flow of water from some unknown start to some unknown destination. Then, Tim smiled. The smile did nothing to make his gaze more pleasant.

“You need help, Karen? You of all people need help. I thought that you were above it, above humanity even.”

“What, like you?” she sneered.

Tim chuckled. “Yes, but I don’t just think it, Karen, I know it, and so do you.”

Another pause, before Karen turned to leave. “I knew this was a waste of my time,” she muttered.

“Yes, it probably was, but please don’t make it a waste of mine,” Tim said. The muscles in her legs froze at his first word, and even though she could no longer see his eyes, she could feel them boring into her back.

“Turn around and face me,” he said, his voice emotionless, suddenly above contempt. He made her sick, but she turned regardless. “What… do you want?”

“There’s a boy. I need him to get a spot in one of your damned orphanages, and don’t you dare tell me that you have no say in state affairs, cause that’s bull. I know you do, and it’s not much that I’m asking.”

“No,” he said with a nod, “it’s not. But, frankly, I’m curious. I never figured you to be the maternal type. Why go through the obviously discomforting trouble of coming to me just to save some child? What’s in it for you?”

“I… nothing.”

“Are you trying to defrost your heart, Karen? It might be easier just to have someone toss it in a microwave for you. Then you wouldn’t have to live with the shame of having done something good for another human being.”

“Fuck you, Tim. Fuck you.”

“No, I’d rather we not. We’ve been there before, and that didn’t turn out too well. Why don’t we try this instead: you bring me this child who seems to have somehow wormed its way into your heart, just to satisfy my curiosity, and I’ll find a home for it. Is that too much to ask?”

“Yes.”

“I guess it was a lot to ask, but will you do it… so as to spare the agony of having your heart ripped out of your chest and tossed into a microwave?”

“Yes.”

“Oh, splendid! Do bring the child along at your earliest convenience! Now if that’s all…”

It was.

Karen was already walking away, still aware of Tim’s heavy gaze upon her back. She tossed the finger over her shoulder as she departed. The fat butler was waiting in the back hall to show her out.

*

Tim sighed, picked up a rumpled white bag he’d left on the path, full of crumbs for the birds housed in his greenhouse, and crossed the bridge. His eyes, as they ran across his garden landscape, saw far more than eyes should ever see. Among other things, they saw a hooded figure, its not-quite human face barely visible below its cowl and its Void-black eyes standing out as darker spots in the shade. Its eyes were darker than his own.

“I told you that one of the five would be delivered to you soon.”

Tim grunted.

“Yes, and you’re right again. As always. I still don’t have to like it. It’s beginning to move, faster. Too fast damn it. Too bloody fast. Don’t get me wrong; I want it, but still. It seems strange, the thought of it. It always has.”

The figure shifted where it stood, or rather, where it was, for it had no need to stand. “You should know,” it said, “that the boy is afflicted.”

Tim’s head shot up with shock and he dropped the bag he carried, scattering bread crumbs all about him.

“You’re sure… oh, of course you are. You’re always sure.”

The figure chuckled in an imitation of dark humour. Tim knew that the creature couldn’t feel humour, but still, he felt it was mocking him.

“Not only is he afflicted, but he is the third of the five. The middle variable. He will awaken the Revenant when the time comes. He will deny his love as the others have done. You must do everything you can to maintain complete control over this one.”

Tim nodded.

“Yes, yes of course. And what of the woman, Karen. She doesn’t want to admit it, but I believe she is fond of this child.”

The figure paused, then shrugged. “Kill her. There can be no chances taken. Any misplaced variable can throw off the equations. The world isn’t fixed to clockwork, though I know I can’t convince you otherwise. Still, it will be safest simply to kill her.”

Tim nodded again. There was a time when such an order might have shocked him, when he might have questioned. But not now. Things were in motion. They were moving too fast! He had to control, had to maintain as much power over the important variables as he could. The strange figure was right on that one point: he had to eliminate any unknowns.

Sharpe wrote a review...

No matter whata nybody else says i think this peice of work is great congratulations on your hard work must have taken you ages :) :)

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:25 pm
doubt_all says...

Those damned commas with the names elude me every time.

Much thanks Shafter, though the version I have posted here is still an older one. (redrafted the whole damn book this december).

I haven't had much time lately, but I'll get a new version up sometime... possibly.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:16 pm
Shafter says...

*Bursts through the door, accompanied by trumpet fanfare and a lot of confetti*
I've finally critiqued more of your story!!!

I'm really, really sorry I didn't get to this sooner, but you know how it is. I still haven't gotten through all of it, but I did some. Hope it helps.

And Samantha had made reality clear to her on more than one occasion: “You’re good at what you do Karen, but nobody would shed a tear if I fired you tomorrow, so if I ask you to take my duties, you take my duties, got it?”

Good bit of characterization here, but remember that a run-on sentence like that makes Samantha come off as a quick-talking, never-takes-a-breath kind of person. If that’s what you’re going for, perfect. If not, you might consider punctuating differently.

He goggled at Karen’s breasts that were quite obvious, even under her loose-fitting uniform.

“Obvious”?! Maybe it’s just me, but that seems like the wrong word. Also, there should be a comma after “breasts.” (Your story makes me have to totally detach from what I’m reading-- mostly to avoid embarrassment. ;) )

Should be a comma after “want.”

The young intern aimed his eyes nervously at the roof, idiot, and mumbled something incoherent.

Is “idiot” a thought? If so, you should probably put it between dashes.
When you mumble something, doesn’t that mean it’s incoherent?

“W-well… uh…” Hansen’s eyes wandered down from the roof, back to her chest, then darted back to the roof again.

Excellent characterization. I’ve met a l-o-t of guys like that. *punches wall, leaves crater*

He looked down, finally into her eyes, and perked up eagerly. “Do you… uh… want me to tell him to s-scram Nurse Ford? Looks like a bit of a rough guy.”

Comma after “s-scram.”

Karen rolled her eyes.

It might work better to put these in the same paragraph, since the beat (Karen rolled her eyes) is a good speaker attribution.

“Oh. Um… okay Nurse Ford. Are you sure Nurse Ford?”

Commas after “okay” and “sure.”

“Yes Intern Hansen, I’m sure.”

Comma after “yes.”

“I should,” she said to the empty hall.

I like your use of paragraphing to heighten the tension. Good passage.

Did you mean to repeat this phrase? It got in the way for me.

She had to maintain some sense of superiority when dealing with her brother.

Oh darn. Poor Karen.

She expected Alec to swagger through the door as he always did, arrogant, cocky, so full-of-shit she was surprised he didn’t explode, but he didn’t.

And we’re glad he didn’t. That would be messy. ;)

Comma after “hard.”

Her normal cold control fled her as she stood there, gaping with horror.

Maybe it’s just the fact that I have a cold right now, but when I read “cold control,” I think of some sort of nasal spray.

“No! Alec… Who’s is it? Is it yours? Maiyora help you if you expect me to take your child Alec!”

Comma after “child.”

“Well I’m glad you’re invoking Maiyora to help me sister,” he growled. “Maybe you should take it then, if Maiyora is with me. Take it.”

Guess what you should put after “help me”? ;)
Now try growling the sentence. Maybe you can pull it off, but I found that it sounded rather humorous when I did.

He handed her a note also, the word Alec scrawled on a diner napkin.

Shouldn’t it be “too,” or “as well”?
Nitpicky point: Alec is a “name,” which is more specific than “word.” *Smacks forehead* I know, I know, I’m being fastidious!

“Karen… he has the plague.”

The repetition of the ellipse slowed me down. How about a dash or a comma instead?

“H-have you got… the plague Alec? Is that why you look…?”

Comma after “plague.” The comma is your friend. We like the comma. :razz:

R-i-g-h-t...

At least to me, eyes narrowing shows that the person is skeptical. You could probably delete the adverb.

“So why don’t you Alec?”

Guess where the comma goes.

“Karen please.”

Guess again.

“Karen!”
“Karen! It’s not like that!”
“Really Alec? Really? Well guess what? I don’t believe you. I don’t believe you.”

I like this dialogue. It feels believable while revealing bits of both characters.

“A sucky one!”
*Ahem* Sorry. Editor’s commentary showing through.

“Not a very good one, I don’t doubt, and that’s a risk I’m not taking. I still have a job to do Karen.

After “do,” you need to put... an exclamation point! (Just joking. Go for a comma.)

Silence again.

Those two words carry a lot of weight.

Great characterization!

The “no thanks” threw me off, as if the baby had offered her something and she was refusing.

Excellent story you've got going here; good setup. You have sympathy going for almost everyone in the story, and the characterization is really good.
I'll be back for more later. (Hopefully soon, but probably not. You know me. :roll: )

Cheers! ~Shafter

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:21 pm
doubt_all says...

Snoink, the general questions you ask are all relevant, because they are all things that will be revealed later in the story. You'll learn some more about the man, about why he was there, why he killed her etc. and about his character. Since the book is finished, there are some things that won't be obviously clear at first but will make more sense later - mysteries that will develop and eventually sort themselves out.

I'll keep what you said in mind, and I'll take a look at some of the stylistic stuff later.

Thanks for the crit.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:55 pm
Snoink wrote a review...

Whee! Another work that I don't hate the writer for his/her lack of grammar! You don't know how nice that is. ;)

But, unfortunately for you, I'm not going to deal with the grammar or word choice. Well, maybe a little of the word choice, but oh well.

Okay, you're almost-but-not-quite-a-rape-scene is a little annoying. Because first of all, it censors itself. I mean, you have this line: "His hands roamed her body, touching places they shouldn’t have,"

...

I don't know. Lines like that annoy me to no end. Don't cheat yourself by not telling us it. Either describe it or DON'T.

Got it?

The main problem I had with the prologue is the apparent length. I mean, you have this girl, but quickly you kill her. Okay...? And then you switch POVs. But I don't know... POVs are for important people. If she's only going to get killed, you could probably get away from all the angst and confusing things.

BY THE WAY! The baby is a he, not an it. You referered to him as an it before.

Okay. That done...

So you after that, you kill the guy who is about to rape her. This... is weird. Why? Because if you have a partnership with someone, then they're someone cooperative with each other. If the child is the main thing, why would the guy care if the girl was raped, especially if he was just going to kill her anyway? Heck, if I were him, I would probably watch the guy rape her. After all, she might be getting some pleasure from it. Like, she's not screaming or fighting... maybe she likes it! Why kill the guy? Heck, you might get some later too. Better not spoil the moment...

Okay... I hope you're not thinking I'm a complete pervert and stuff, lol. What I'm trying to say is that they're many avenues of thought here and at the moment, the plot that happens doesn't really make sense to me. Especially when he kills his other partner. It just doesn't really make sense.

Still, I bet you can fix this plot glitch fairly easily. You seem to be a strong writer. ;

So! I hope this was somewhat enlightening! If you have any questions, you can always ask. ;)

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:12 pm
doubt_all says...

(GE is undergoing an overhaul, so these two installments are now gone. But the prologue has been overhauled, so check that out if you want.)

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:33 pm
doubt_all says...

Thanks for the crits.

The explanation for why orphan Alec is named after the prologue Alec comes in 2 chapters I believe it was. I elaborated a bit in my edit.

The reason they wouldn't suspect him being an orphan is because most of them were deformed from the plague, but he's not - I'll try to clarify that a bit.

As for the adults and the whole public awareness thing, that's brought up much later in the book - and to bring it up now kind of spoils later revelations, but I'll try to clarify a bit. For now, and for the purposes of the beginning of the book, I'll try to get across to the reader that the public just overlooks the conditions.

I cleaned up the dual Alec thing a bit.

As for the quote-specific changes, I abided by most of the suggestions given - most noticeable is the first few paragraphs.

Don't think I'm changing the feet slapping though. Even skinny feet can slap on tiles, I figure. Wait... my feet are skinny. I should go try it...

[comes back panting]

Yes. skinny feet slap on tiles. And he's still a kid then, so I don't think the careful thing really applies. I'll post the next installment soon.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:20 pm
Myth wrote a review...

Green = Comment/Correction
Blue = Suggestion
Indigo = Quote
Black = Review

*

The sun broke the horizon in Halverstire to the sound of more screams as the sickness found a new set of victims. Sirens wailed like banshees in the distance, heralding another death, another soul departed; the Maiyern priests would have one believe that death had absolved another soul of its infinite sins, as only death could absolve.

I think you meant: the Maiyern priests would have once believed ... etc.
Also the last sentence was confusing, it would be better to separate it.

For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. The ignorance of the Maiyern priesthood was not a well-kept secret, and the topic of death was one of many that did not fall under their jurisdiction. They had no intimate experience with it. Not in recent times, anyways. For them, death was as vicarious as pain.

They didn’t know, for instance, that when there was such a concentration of death in a point of time and space, the air hung heavy, so that everything – even the slightest movement – seemed to slow. It was as if their God had drowned reality in molasses, impeding even the passage of dawn’s rays brushing across Maggie’s soft features. The sluggish light filled the room, drenching it and the rest of the suburbs in a dull crimson coat.

First off you talk about death and then you introduce the character out of nowhere. When you referred to ‘they’ was it the Maiyern priests? And do they know Maggie?

Maggie sighed, toying with a loose thread at her shirt hem as she watched the ambulances flit past the house.

I find ‘shirt’ usually refers to men’s garment so how about ‘blouse’ instead? It is really up to you though.

The meaningless habit was somehow comforting against that constant press she couldn’t quite name but haunted her still.

‘press’ or pressure?

This was more than she could handle. She was only seventeen! She wasn’t ready for this kind of responsibility… she wasn’t ready… but she couldn’t let her big sister down now. The thought of her sister brought on the tears this time. Her chest clenched painfully as violent, shuddering sobs wracked her. Something had filled the emptiness. She didn’t know what had triggered the despair this time, but she was strangely glad for it. At least now she could feel something; her emotions didn’t belong to the Void. She shook her head and ran one of her long, pale hands through her hair, breaking the knots as it went along. Her gaze meandered slothfully over to her bed before returning to the child in his crib. He consumed every one of her waking hours, always crying, but never this loudly before. At times, like now, she was almost tempted to put it out of its misery… put it down like a bad breed of dog. Then she would scold herself for being so weak. Her sister had never been weak. Her sister had been perfect.

She wiped her eyes. They were almost as red as the child’s face, and she didn’t want to show weakness to her sister’s child. He was too precious and too scared already. She needed to be strong for the both of them, so she gathered her wits and took a deep breath, prepared to do whatever it took to accommodate him. The bags under her eyes lightened, her face became bright, and she dipped the cloth into the tub of water once more, ready to soothe. Ready to bow down to her responsibility.

Avoid the whole ‘she’ and ‘her’ to characterise Maggie, you can use her name every so often to sidestep the repetition.

PTATL!

Sound effects... they don’t really work and I would suggest taking it out. The scene is quite dramatic/horrific so don’t ruin the effect. Or you can describe the sound.

The dead man tumbled to the floor beside the bed, and there was a resounding crack when he landed on his arm, breaking the bone beneath his lifeless flesh.

Ew... Well done on creeping me out.

He cocked his head downwards, acknowledging the baby who lay crying on the floor. Then his cold eyes settled upon Maggie’s tear-streaked face. He lowered the gun and nodded to her. The nod was a promise, and Maggie sighed with relief.

The view point has changed and the man hasn’t been introduced to Maggie so he shouldn’t know her name, something you overlooked.

I can tell you how it happened. I was there, and hence I can tell you the location and, of course, the when, as my presence coincided with the happening. I can tell you the characters involved, what they did and even what resulted. I can go so far as saying, even, that I know the major factors preceding said happening, yet I’m at a loss in one aspect of the event. I know not why, in all its forms. I know not why it happened. I know not why I was there to witness it. I know what happened, yet I know not why it even is what it is, or was, or is. I know not even why I ask why or why I receive no response or why I ponder the reason for this lack. I know not why I say this. I know not why I can. I know not why I have, or will, or have, or why I can’t say that I didn’t, haven’t, won’t.
Without why, I am and I am and I am.
Th-three by three… so m-mote it…

I really don’t know what to make of that, I have no idea what the person was trying to say and towards the end they seemed... a little insane?

A bell tolled once, echoing down from a small mountainside station, through a vertical shaft that penetrated the mines below. The jagged walls of the shaft tore the sound up into pieces so that, by the time it had reached the lateral shafts, it had been rended into its element tones, like prying apart light, not with a prism, but a crowbar.

The repetition of ‘shaft’ bugged me, try using synonyms.

Into the light stepped the slivery shadow of a man, before the man himself blackened the doorway: it was the taskmaster.

A slightly awkward sentence, it is probably the wording. Into the light stepped the slivery shadow of a man (OK), before the man himself blackened the doorway: it was the taskmaster (you lost me here).

Nobody knew his name, but he was there to greet the slaves every morning and to see them locked away every night. As the door closed behind him, he raised a small oil-lamp above his head to extend the splash of light further, and he began to call out numbers – corresponding to the brands on the left shoulder of each slave – as he walked forward along his lantern-lit path. The slaves, belonging to two uniform lines on either side of the man, answered with their numbers in return.

The repetitious ‘he’ is annoying plus avoidable by simply calling him the Taskmaster, etc.

Alec made an effort to hold his eyelids open, so as not to crush the dust against his sensitive orbs.

Hold his eyelids? Wouldn’t that be: to keep his eyelids open, etc?

In the mines, death was something that you could smell, like the hot perfume of sex; and the man reeked of it.

That simile didn’t sound right, keeping it as: like the scent of perfume, or something similar would be much better would top it. Of course this is your decision entirely.

Alec estimated that he had a year left, on the topside. He couldn’t say that he was sorry for the old bastard. He wondered, for a moment, if he even knew how to feel pity anymore.

The taskmaster reached the door and coughed again. This time blood came up with the phlegm, and the slaves could truly smell the approaching death, but they made no comment. If they talked, one of the slave masters would carve their tongues out of their mouths. Alec made it habit not to talk without permission. Some of the stupid slaves did – just as stupid slaves did many things – but they usually didn’t last longer than a few months. Sometimes they didn’t last a week. A few hadn’t lasted an hour. But what was the difference, really? Almost nineteen now, Alec had survived in the mines for roughly three years, though even of this he wasn’t certain for he couldn’t notice the difference between a month and an hour. Before this, he’d been on a plantation for just over two years, and he didn’t notice the difference between that and here either – not really. Then, he’d belonged to some fat pig, Master Alberto, and now he belonged to a black-widow aristocrat, Madame Margaret, one of the only women who wielded any real power in the country of Vodich besides Lord Tybun’s bitch-of-a-daughter of whom he’d heard many the nasty rumor.

You used two different spellings of rumour, which will you keep? Also, how long ago had Alec shot Maggie, Tommy, etc? You say he is nineteen and has been in the mine three years and a plantation two years before that. Is this the same Alec from the prologue, who was described as ‘man’, I would say a teenager is still a ‘kid’. Or is this boy the baby?

Alec did remember a time – on the plantation – it must have been his first, maybe his second day, when he had asked his bunkmate why nobody said a word. The man had not responded, but Alec had bugged him at nights to no end until, finally, after a few weeks the man had said, “They’re still alive, ain’t they?”

Alec almost chuckled at the memory but bit his tongue instead as the dying taskmaster clutched the handle of the dormitory door in his bony fingers and twisted. With a screech of rusted metal, the bolt slid into its casing and the door swung open. As he shuffled out, the slaves got ready for their day’s work, dressing quietly in the dark.

I notice three of your paragraphs start with ‘Alec’, it is something I recommend you alter. It isn’t a bad thing but you can try beginning differently.

After getting dressed, they crowded behind the door, which an old crone, who kept night watch, opened.

You’ve already said they dressed, no need to repeat it so have something like: Afterwards they crowded ... etc.

Feeding was the only thing that the slaves had to look forward to, and they practically hummed with energy – they were work stock, no breeding.

What did you mean by ‘no breeding’?

Everything between was pitched to the Void, to the swirl of nonexistence.

A dash should be place between ‘non’ and ‘existence’.

Madame Margaret doesn’t accept trouble in her mines, so I deal with troublemakers... preemptively.

Again, a dash is required: pre-emptively.

He shivered – just another orphan, in a building full of orphans, in a country full of orphanages just like this one – and rolled out of bed. His feet slapped loudly on tiles frosted like the windows.

How loud a noise would his feet make, think about it. He is a kid, probably underfed, and would have been taught to make as little noise as possible, even when he is alone.

The sound filled the cold, poorly insulated silence, making the rusted metal bed frames throughout the dormitory vibrate. If there had been shadows in the room, the sound would have shook them too, but the dark was deep enough that shadows couldn’t form.

‘shook’ I think ought to be ‘shaken’.

“You go to school boy, or are you playing hooky?”

“Hooky? Sorry, but I’m only caught up on the newest lingo, not that old folk crap. You’re going to have to run that by me again.”

Hah! That was a great way to insult the old man. XD

“Forget the damn blindfolds. That was just an old custom. I’ll tell you why the streets are so damn clean, how bout that? Yeah."

‘bout’ = ’bout (since the ‘a’ is missed out)

I’ve finally come to the end, don’t take that in a bad way mind.

You know what I like so far? The reality of it all is very much like our modern world, an orphan skipping school, John trying to convert atheists and the conversation between Alec and the priest.

I’m wondering why he is allowed out of the orphanage or does he sneak out?

One thing I didn’t quite grasp is: Who would ever suspect him to be an orphan? After all, the streets of the City-State of York were clean. No prostitutes, no druggies, no criminals, no homeless beggars or squeegee-boys treading between cars – and no orphans. The country was clean, and none dared to wonder under which mat it had all been swept.

Did the public not now of orphanages, were they blind to poverty or were they not aware of it?

What happened to the adults who had the disease? You mention children in orphanages but nothing about adults who may have survived the plague (unless they were all killed, etc, you should still mention it).

I was confused with the two Alec characters, I had thought the boy Alec was the same man from the prologue. So you may want to try and include where he got his name in the earlier parts of chapter one.

You have a few run-on sentences which you can easily change to shorter sentences yet keeping what you intended to say.

I would really like to see what happens to Alec so keep me updated when you post the next part.

-- Myth

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:45 am
doubt_all says...

Made a few changes. The baby being referred to as an 'it' was intentional... Maggie coming to terms with it's 'personhood', realizing the 'thing' is not just another 'problem' but a baby. They're supposed to be like Freudian slips on Mag's behalf - don't know if it works well or not, but I'll wait for a few more crits before changing it. (And I have many more finished installments to come, but I'll wait for a few more crits before posting those too.

Yeah... so if anyone else stumbles across this, please crit me!

Thanks ahead of time.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:30 am
Shafter wrote a review...

I only had time to read the prologue, but I will be back for more later.

First of all:

doubt_all wrote: Just to warn you, if you did not previously, I advise you to heed the R rating. Though I wrote the first 200 pages-or-so of the book when I was still 15, I was a... uh... interesting 15-year-old. There is 'language', and in the prologue someone is almost - not - but almost raped. So, if you are offended by this notion, TURN BACK NOW.

Thank you VERY MUCH for this warning!!!

I have very little to critique; I thought the pacing, rhythm, and (joy to the world!) punctuation were excellent. It was very, very creepy, but suitably restrained. And (I can't believe I'm saying this) the uses of the F-word were somewhat justified.

Just a few small things:

You refer to the child as "it." He's her nephew, right? He should be a "him."

Her eyes meandered slothfully over to her bed before returning to the child in his crib.

Ugh! :shock: I get an image of these eyeballs rolling over a bed and into a crib. Please change, please?

...She froze, ready to bolt, her eyes wide and bloodshot from crying. The door to the room banged open so hard that it bounced back on its hinges most of the way...

This is just a suggestion: It might be more effective to put a paragraph after "crying."

Her muscles screamed for her to let them move, but she wouldn’t. They screamed at her to move for the boy’s sake. They screamed at her to move for her sister’s sake, but she just wasn’t the strong one.

I know what you're trying to do, but it moves a little slow for the intense drama of the moment. A run-on sentence or taking out a few excess words would help.

PTATL!

This looks like some sort of instant messaging shortcut instead of a sound effect... but that might be just me.

... slowly, quite dead.

"Quite dead"? As opposed to "mostly dead"?

“What are you saying Turner. Do you owe any loyalty to him?

Either "What are you saying, Turner?" or "What are you saying, Turner."

He smiled at the baby, and it stopped crying. Instead, it made a soft cooing sound, half terrified half something Alec couldn’t quite interpret.

"...half terrified, half something..."

Be back to crit more later. But yes, I really... uhm... think the story's good. It's not something I can really say I "like" at this point... ;)

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:20 am
luna_the_shiekah wrote a review...

doubt_all wrote:Sirens wailed like banshees in the distance, heralding another death, another soul departed; the Maiyern priests would have one believe that death had absolved another soul of its infinite sins, as only death could absolve.

You say 'absolve' twice in the same sentence. You may want to change the end of the sentence to "as only death could" or "as only death could do."

doubt_all wrote:for they did not die but went to heaven or hell or were reborn if their souls had not learned enough to admit them past the pearly gates.

As far as I know dying means to either go to heaven or hell. Perhaps you should put more explanation in this and make them seperate sentences instead of one run on.

Those are my only real gripes. And hopefully others will get around to critiquing this story. The more the merrier and the less work others have to do. Overall, I enjoyed this first installment. Though the scene changes are a bit confusing.

LUNA

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia