Different.

by dm74

I am autistic.

No,

I am not much different from you. 

But I do have differences. 

I don't talk much. 

But if I am comfortable around you, I don't stop.

My mind works very hard to process information.

Don't touch me unless I see you first. It'll be better for both of us. 

I can be literal, but I understand sarcasm and figurative language.

I am not different.

I have differences. 

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:14 am
EllieMae wrote a review...

Time for a Black Cat Review!!

MEOW! Hello, friend! My name is Ellie and today I will be reviewing using my very own Black Cat Review Method! It is very similar to the incredible YWS S'more Method but I have Halloween-ified it and made it spooky! My little black cat friend, Vladimir, wants to offer his opinion on your amazing literary piece:

Mystical Witch Hat - What I See, Observe, and Interpret

This is a touching poem, really! I love how straightforward, factual, and honest you were. In my interpretation, this poem explains the writers experience of having autism and how their mind works.

You start off really strong with a bold statement that really catches my attention:

I am autistic.

No,

I am not much different from you.

I loved how you played with the idea of not being different, but having differences. There is so much stigma in our day about having to be a certain way. I can imagine that you experience this a lot. This poem really touches on that.

I liked how you went through some different statements about how your mind works. You explained them in an easy to understand way. I think that this is a lovely poem that would benefit a lot of people to read :)

Vladimir’s Advice - Suggestions for Improvement

Overall, this was wonderful! I wanted to mention this one line:

I feel like this one is a little harder to read and doesn't flow as well. Perhaps wording it in a slightly different way might sound better. I get what you are saying though and I love the point you are making :D

Jack O’Lanterns - My Favourite Parts and Praises

I love these last two lines:

I am not different.

I have differences.

I love how you took such a personal topic and made it into something that so many people can understand. I think this poem is such an amazing way to spread awareness and break down some of those deeply embedded stereotypes that we have :)

Black Cat Cuddles - Concluding Ideas and Thoughts

As always, thank you for sharing!
-Ellie

I hope you have a spook-tastical day, filled with black cat mischief!

valentin3 says...

I like this. It has a very good descriptive way of showing the "view point" or 'opinion' of the poem. Love it!!!!

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello, My Friend!

You've made a lovely poem here! To my interpretation, there is an informative and relative tone behind it, reaching out to send a message about neurodiversity and your personal accounts with it.

*Ahem, as for a more technical review, I have nothing to criticize! I spied no errors, and your structure and word choice were lovely. In describing some of the experiences you've had as an autistic adult, in common moments of society, you allow the reader to have a better understanding, and then you tie it all together to make that aforementioned message clear:

I am not different.

I have differences.

Brilliantly put, this resonates very well and strongly. "Differences" do not make somebody as "different" as people may think; I like this message, and I think we could use more of it in this world.

Overall, great piece, nicely done! :)

I communicate much better on paper than I do when I open my mouth.
— Aaron Sorkin