z

Young Writers Society



memories you'll never feel again

by dissonance


everything happens
for a reason. that's what
my mother told me the summer
i didn't speak a word to
my father. there is something
beautiful about tragedy: 
the sun still shines, she says, 
and you shine with it. 

it's like i am seven years old again
& the world is only what's
in front of me. i look
in the mirror and see every
version of myself i've ever been.
i see my mother staring back at me.
it's terrifying how people can
change; 

my ears pop
& i still see the sun
sneaking through the blinds.
it puts things into perspective. 
if i keep running, i think
i'll fall off the face of the earth. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 10130
Reviews: 105

Donate
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:54 am
View Likes
alpacaboss wrote a review...



Hello! The alpaca was intrigued by the title and dragged me here. Good thing the alpaca has a good sense and I was not disappointed by this work. Far from it. The title is indeed something that awakens a deep memory back in the mind. We want to relive it so we replay it in our minds, yet perhaps it's time, maturity, or something else. Well, I must stop babbling and start reviewing.

everything happens
for a reason. that's what
my mother told me the summer
i didn't speak a word to
my father. there is something
beautiful about tragedy:
the sun still shines, she says,
and you shine with it.


This already paints a vivid picture, yet one that provokes more questions. What tragedy is the mom talking about? Why did the narrator avoid speaking to his father? Why did the mother give such advice? At the same time, one can infer that it's summer and the mother is advising her son that everything happens for a reason. Whatever tragedy occurred, he must pick himself up again just like how the sun continues to shine no matter what happens.

it's like i am seven years old again
& the world is only what's
in front of me. i look
in the mirror and see every
version of myself i've ever been.
i see my mother staring back at me.
it's terrifying how people can
change;


This stanza seems to be disorienting. It's like watching something out of a movie where the character snaps back to reality, looking at themselves in the mirror, realizing that their entire life flashed before their eyes because of their deep thought. I wonder if the mom is supposed to be "protagonistic" or antagonistic in this sense of the last lines "it's terrifying how people can change". I wonder if the narrator is despairing at how much he had changed or how he changed into a person like his mother.

my ears pop
& i still see the sun
sneaking through the blinds.
it puts things into perspective.
if i keep running, i think
i'll fall off the face of the earth.


Nature grounds the narrator in reality. If he keeps this up, he would inadvertently fall into a spiral of his own thoughts, being lost in the past, unable to go in. He would find himself falling off the face of the earth, like how a stray leaf flies to wind after being attached to a tire.

Overall, this was a nostalgic bittersweet poem that was well-written.

This is alpacaboss, signing off.




User avatar
170 Reviews


Points: 33886
Reviews: 170

Donate
Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:39 pm
View Likes
Roxanne wrote a review...



Greetings @weathervane,

Image

It's been a while since I've done a poetry review, and I just happened to come across yours, which makes it the perfect opportunity to share my thoughts on this lovely piece.

First of all, your poem begins with the sentence "Everything happens for a reason," a sentence that immediately caught my attention.
The first sentence of an article or story, and in this case a poem, is one of the most important things when writing anything, not only to grab the reader's attention (which you definitely did), but also to give a slight hint of what your work is going to be about.

This particular quote that you used is one that I came across recently and it really made me stop what I was doing and just think about it for a moment. I didn't think I'd actually read it again somewhere, but coincidences are a funny thing.

Your poem was easy to read, but it is a poem that kind of twisted your mind for a while, in a good way. You told a story through poetry, a story that I find quite fascinating.
The poem is about the narrator's experience of dealing with what I assume is a difficult situation and receiving advice from their mother. There is this thing about advice, it always comes in the form of a riddle. And this "riddle" given by their mother is quite appealing and in a way beautiful.

Suddenly, the poem shifts to the narrator's perspective as they reflects on their past and sees every version of themself. Looking back and reflecting on the past are two very different things, so close together that the line of separation is almost blurred. But in this "story" the narrator goes back and sees what they could have done differently or maybe taken something differently. But yes, it is really frightening how people can change. Looking back, this person might have seemed different in the past.

The poem ends with the narrator seeing the sun sneaking through the blinds and realizing that it puts things in perspective. This poem seems to be about finding hope that may seem so far away and perspective in difficult situations, and also learning to accept change.

In many ways, your poem is a unique work. Your choice of words and quotes were something that I loved from this poem. Not to forget, you chose a very captivating title for your poem.
Keep on doing what you do!

Yours in puzzling shadows,
Rose



Random avatar
HiramWindler says...


Extremely useful advice on writing poetry. Through this, I also have more insight and more ideas for writing poetry.getting over it



User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 308
Reviews: 81

Donate
Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:25 pm
View Likes
ariah347 wrote a review...



Hey there! First off, I hope you're doing well wherever you are in the world. This makes me wonder if the narrator's father has passed, trying not to assume it's from personal experience, but sometimes what we write, especially poetry, is directly pulled from our lives. If it is personal and my assumptions are correct, I offer my sincere condolences. It could be a metaphorical or literal death, but death nonetheless. Losing people, regardless of your relationship, is not easy.

On to my review...

1) I'm gonna comment on this per stanza, but before I do that, I want to acknowledge that the way this is broken a part adds to its quality. Given that there is no rhyme scheme, you could have broken the stanzas up many different ways, but I can see intentionality and reason behind where you decided to do so.

2) Now, for the stanza commentary. The first stanza reminds me that when we lose someone, people, although well-meaning, can say things like "everything happens for a reason" or making comments like "you still shine with it." Like yes, I know the sun still shines and things happen, but that does not ease any pain or mourning I feel.

2) The second stanza's flashback and the way you bring it back to the present with the language of "I look in the mirror and see every version of myself" was heavy and wonderful simultaneously. The way you acknowledge seeing your mother within yourself reminds me that we, whether aware or not, may end up looking or acting like our parents or caregivers. The existential crisis this poem can pull is crazy lol!

3) The third stanza circling back to bring up the sun was a nice full-circle moment, but then you add another element by describing the need to run and fear you'll fall off the earth. When we are in pain, the insatiable urge to avoid it and flee from it like a desperate escape is felt here. It was a nice way to end the poem because no matter if we are seven or seventy-seven when we lose someone or experience pain, it follows us as we sprint through life.

Well done! Wishing you well wherever you are in the world♡ ♥





I was promis'd on a time, To have a reason for my rhyme: From that time unto this season, I receiv'd nor rhyme nor reason.
— Edmund Spenser