Reflect me 3

by demoncat

Warning there is Gore in this story. Also mentions of suicide and other triggers. Also I should warn you this is the third part of a story. So you should read part one and two before continuing.

Dear diary,

I have avoided Rossy for afew weeks now. Hiding in Tyson's room. I hope he gets home soon. Oh what am I saying he's gonna be gone a whole year. And I can't hide in his room the whole time. Weirdly enough ghosts need to use the bathroom too. Well I guess we don't need to but I like to raid the fridge reflection. And if I do that I need to go to the bathroom. I tried to go earlier but since Tyson isn't home Rossy is out of his room alot more. Maybe later i will check and see if that weird mirror is still there.

Dear diary,

So Roscoe took down the shrine in his room. Wich is good because it makes him slightly more tolerable.but the mirror is still there. I decided to go in there while he was asleep and couldn't talk to me. I've been doing that these past few days actually. For some reason he reminds me of someone. I fiddle with the ring on my middle finger. Actually where did I get this. I've just always had it. So I guess I got it in life. 

Dear diary,

Last night when I went into Roscoe's room he kinda woke up. And we talked about ... Stuff. Maybe he isn't so weird after all. Maybe? I chuckle to myself as I write. I will now relay our conversation. It kinda started like usual. I was just sitting on the reflection of the bed. He usually gets up for a midnight snack and some video games. I guess his dreams usually wake him up. But what does he dream about? Well anyway I usually hide in the mirror on the fridge then follow him to the living room when he games but I fell asleep. And I guess when he woke up he was terrified. He screamed and that woke me up. And before I could go he noticed I was in the mirror and just kind of stared. We stayed like that for awhile. Just laying there. Staring at each other. Then he speaks first with a simple "hi." Of course I spoke simplify too. "Howdy." I smiled. "Did you have a nightmare?" I leaned closer. He nods his head in reply. "Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask quietly. He shakes his head then lies down on his back rubbing his sweaty tear streaked face. His hand shaking. My mind thinks back to a time when I was alive. But I shrugged it off. "Um... I ..." I stop when he looks at me again with a hopeful expression. Then I lay on my back and whisper. "I get nightmares too."  He then sits up. Then stands and picked up the mirror. I braced myself for the shaking. It's like an earthquake! Then he puts some throw pillows on the bed to prop the mirror beside him. I blush. "what are you doing?" My voice is just a squeak. Then he says in a shaky voice still trembling. "Please ... Don't go just yet." I think about it. Should I stay? I mean he's able to reach in the mirror. Who knows what he could've done. Well I did end up staying. I got comfy and tucked myself in cuddling my soft cactus blanket. We didn't fall asleep right away though. We stayed up for hours talking. About little things at first I talked mostly about how cute Tyson is. And how I wished he could see me too. And all the things I would do to Susan if I was alive. Or at least could get out of the mirror. And he even said " yeah I don't really like Susan either." And I told him how I wished I could at least pet the cat. Or feel room temperature. And not be suffocating in either hot or cold. And then it got deeper. I told him how I even missed kissing. And how I wished I could be with Tyson. And he asked about my ring. I told him I didn't know. Then I told him I probably wrote it in here somewhere. Er my sketchbook. "You draw?" He asked with a curious expression on his face. I blush. "Um yeah. It's kinda the only thing I do do. Or at least that I do that I think I did while I was alive." I sat up. "Do you wanna see?" I say through the red glow on my face. He just smirks. "Sure." 

When I came back I had my sketchbook in hand. I showed him my pictures of Tyson. And of the rain. And the pictures I draw of Susan with horns and an unflattering mustashe. We laughed at that. And the pictures I draw of the cat. He's such a good model. Then we come upon a drawing of my ring that I don't remember. "Oh that's good!" He says. "Is it recent?" I gulp. " No I don't remember it. It must be from when I was alive." He sees my pained expression and says. "Here let's go on to the next page." When I turn the page it's just abunch of drawings of Tyson shirtless surrounded by black roses. I blush profusely. "Um maybe it's time we put this up! Your alive you need sleep anyway!" Now Roscoe is laughing his head off. "Oh come on it was just getting funny!" He says through laughs. Tears of joy streaming down his face. Now it's my turn to smirk. "Trust me you DON'T want to see what's on the next page." I giggled. That shut him up real quick his face went beet red. "Oh." He stutters "oh is right." I said laughing. At this point we were both hysterical. Then I leaned my fore head against the Glass. And we just stared at each other.

"Goodnight." I said. Then he smiled. "Night."

Dear diary,

Ros and me have been talking alot more. Turns out He's not as strange as I thought. Although he has his moments. He took shadow to the vet an hour ago and is still in town. He still hasn't come home but I'm more worryied about shadow right now. He has been really sick lately. But I don't know why. He eats plenty of the speacial food that Susan gave him. It's supposed to make him really healthy. I hope he will be ok.

Dear diary,

Roscoe brought shadow back from the vet the other day. Turns out there was an ingredient in his food that was making him sick. So we are switching his food. But the doctor was really worryied. Or so Ros says. Apparently shadow is in pretty rough state and might not make it. Poor baby. He's such a young kitten too. He did say something about putting him down but Roscoe came home and asked me first what I thought. And I didn't wanna wish death on anyone. Even a cat. So I said no. But it might come to that eventually. So I better watch out.

Dear diary,

Roscoe had to put shadow down today. He used Tyson's gun. Because of this Tyson and Susan will cut their trip short. They will be home in two months. Poor shadow. I can't stop crying. Huh I about though I seen a shadow go across the floor of the mirror. But that's impossible. Isn't it?

Dear diary,

I remembered something again today. It was my father. I remember I would be terrified every night that the door to my room would swing open. And be would yell at me. Saying how I date too many guys. Calling me bad names. I remember when I was dating Timothy. That was around the first time my dad hit me. I called Timothy. And we ran away together for afew days. The carnival was in town and we stayed there. It was the best three days of my life. But we lived in a small town. And my dad being the town surgeon and pastor he new basically everyone. They soon found me and my dad locked me up in my room grounding me for a month. And I remember Timothy climbing the tree outside to see me. His black hair, freckles, blue eyes, and kind demeanor were the only things that got me through that. My dad was always really strict he wouldnt approve of any guys. Well except maybe rusty. He always liked the manly type for me better. He said I needed a real man to take care of me. Someone he could take hunting and work on cars with. So he hated Timothy. He was always to sickly to hunt. And he would rather draw cars then sit under them. He always said. "Why would I want to lay under that death machine and ruin my hands with those tools. I need my hands to draw." He always had nice hands. Kind hands. And despite his geekiness he had a very firm grip. I find hands are important in telling if someone is right for you.

Dear diary,

Today I read my horoscope. I'm a Sagittarius. Rossy says horoscopes are dumb but I didn't listen. In fact he's here right now reading what I'm writing. He says hi. Man is that Rossy a jerk a wish I could just ditch him. And man is he smelly. But he is kind of cute though. Not really my type but he has potential. Sorry I knew he was reading so I figured I'd mess with him Abit. Now where was I oh yes! I've always been superstitious like I always say a doctor a day keeps the apples away! Wait is that how it goes? Oh well.

To be continued in part four.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:25 pm
Dreamy wrote a review...

Hey, demoncat! Dreamy here for another review.

I'm lagging behind, I need to catch up soon. This is a cute chapter. I like how the Ghost and Rossy are friends now and that the Ghost actually has a nickname for him-- Rossy!

I was a little bit confused with the ring part. I remember reading in the last chapter that the Ghost got her ring from Timothy and how in this chapter she had no idea, and then later I realised that she didn't write that part in her diary but that it was one of the "flashbacks". The other confusing part was how she remembers that she was in love with Timothy and how her father hated him for not liking hunting and all, the details that seems not necessary and how she does not remembers the most integral part of her love-alive-story. I'm guessing these parts will be addressed in the future chapters.

Something I saw a lot in this chapter was your lack of capitalisation of the first letter while mentioning names. And I have to echo Dottie here with regards to clunky paragraphs. When the paragraphs are long, readers might lose interest. Long paragraphs are laborious to read. So make sure you separate them wherever and whenever necessary.

A few things:

Last night when I went into Roscoe's room he kinda woke up. And we talked about ... Stuff. Maybe he isn't so weird after all. Maybe? I chuckle to myself as I write. I will now relay our conversation.

Here, "I chuckle to myself..." sounds odd. And "I will now relay our conversation" ? Well, aren't you already doing it. Does it need to be spelled out like that?

Roscoe had to put shadow down today. He used Tyson's gun.

Poor Shadow, why did he have to use the gun though? That is even more brutal!

Anyway, a good read.

Cheers!

demoncat says...

Ok first like that's how I remember animals being put down most my life. I wanted it to be kind of an old yeller moment. I figured I should put that in there. Also thank you for your feedback I really appreciate it!! I'm glad you liked the story! And I do have to say hunting becomes a bigger theme. You will see. Anyway thank you for the review!

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:59 pm
DottieSnark wrote a review...

I can see that your writing is already improving a lot. I've noticed you'd added some more paragraphs than usually, but they're still really long. A good aiming area for a paragraph is around five sentences. Also, every time a new person speaks or grabs back focus in the scene they should get their own paragraph.

For example, this chunk of a paragraph:

Staring at each other. Then he speaks first with a simple "hi." Of course I spoke simplify too. "Howdy." I smiled. "Did you have a nightmare?" I leaned closer. He nods his head in reply. "Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask quietly. He shakes his head then lies down on his back rubbing his sweaty tear streaked face. His hand shaking. My mind thinks back to a time when I was alive. But I shrugged it off. "Um... I ..." I stop when he looks at me again with a hopeful expression. Then I lay on my back and whisper. "I get nightmares too." He then sits up. Then stands and picked up the mirror. I braced myself for the shaking. It's like an earthquake! Then he puts some throw pillows on the bed to prop the mirror beside him. I blush. "what are you doing?" My voice is just a squeak. Then he says in a shaky voice still trembling. "Please ... Don't go just yet." I think about it. Should I stay?

Should read like this
Then he speaks first with a simple "Hi."

Of course I spoke simplify too. "Howdy." I smiled. "Did you have a nightmare?" I leaned closer.

He nods his head in reply.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask quietly.

He shakes his head then lies down on his back rubbing his sweaty tear streaked face. His hand shaking.

My mind thinks back to a time when I was alive. But I shrugged it off. "Um... I ..." I stop when he looks at me again with a hopeful expression. Then I lay on my back and whisper. "I get nightmares too."

He then sits up. Then stands and picked up the mirror. I braced myself for the shaking. It's like an earthquake! Then he puts some throw pillows on the bed to prop the mirror beside him.

I blush. "what are you doing?" My voice is just a squeak.

Then he says in a shaky voice still trembling. "Please ... Don't go just yet."

I think about it. Should I stay?

See how much easier that is to read and how much easier it is to follow along with what each character is doing?

Here are a few typoes I caught:

I have avoided Rossy for afew weeks now.

Sound be:

I have avoided Rossy for a few weeks now.

And:

Wich is good because it makes him slightly more tolerable.but the mirror is still there.

Should be:
Which is good because it makes him slightly more tolerable, but the mirror is still there.

And:

Actually where did I get this.

Is a question so it should be written like this:

Actually where did I get this?

A great way to catch these kinds of grammatical typoes is to use a program like Grammarly.

Here's a passage that stuck out to me:

I chuckle to myself as I write.

Is she writing that or is that her first-person narration? That's just a strange way to write that, IMO. I think it might read better as if she's talking to the diary, like:

I'm chuckling to myself as I write this, by the way.

As is it sounds like she's just narrating her actions to the audience.

I really pointed out specifics this time and I hope that is okay. Sometimes it's really easy to overlook simple mistakes like typoes and I personally always appreciate when someone helps point them out to me. I hope you keep at this story! :D

demoncat says...

Thank you I do appreciate the help with typos and paragraphs and stuff. My usual writing style is comic book so that part usually escapes me lol. Thank you seriously I do appreciate your input like alot. And I hope you like my story. Part four is coming soon so I will keep these points in mind when writing it.

I am deeply disturbed by your ability to meow.
— Carina