z

Young Writers Society



Dear Future Lover

by deleted3


Let me start by apologising

In the place where my heart resides,
You will find a maximum security fortress
A tower, and the key is nowhere to be found
It is not with me, the key is with him.
Him who, you ask?

Him, the one I could not have
No fault of his or mine
He did everything right
(Good luck to you in your attempts to reach that bar)
Fate simply destined he and I apart.

I could tell you that tragic tale,
But I believe it's not proper etiquette
At least, not on a first date.
Don't worry, I will try and keep things civil
Try not to slip 'him' into conversation
But I cannot make any promises
That I won't think of him constantly

Perhaps you want to give up now?
The challenge is near impossible, I know
Apologies for leading you this far...

Oh, you think there may yet be hope?
Why so?
You found a key?
You must forgive my sad laugh,
I am in no way mocking you
But look closer, note the difference in shape, colour, and design
You will see that it does not match my lock
 
Because that key does not open my heart

It opens his.
 
Yours His Truly,
An Emotionally Unavailable Star-Crossed Heart


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 5211
Reviews: 184

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 pm
View Likes
veeren wrote a review...



Hey there!

I'm more here to tell you how much I liked rather than review it. Besides the misspelling of apologizing in the first line, I think your grammar and spelling were pretty well done. At least from a novel writers point of view, I was under the impression poets had more creative freedom, so forgive me if I'm forgetting to point out something blatantly obvious.

As for content, I loved the poem. It felt like a direct narration of something straight out of real life. Maybe this is a personal opinion, but that's my favorite type of writing, when the writer is able to pass their emotions to the reader through their writing. It shows that they really put feeling into their writing.

And I loved that touch at the end, the 'Yours His Truly' bit. Yeah, I really liked that :D
Your a great writer, and poet, so keep up the good work :D




deleted3 says...


Thank you Veeren! I'm glad the signing off bit was not lost on you ;-) I certainly hope you find all my writing as easy to connect with. Then, I've done my job.

About the spelling, I take great pride in protecting my reviewers from lazy spelling mistakes, and as I explained to TheTaleAsOldAsTime, the spelling of "apologising" is 100% correct British English. This is a word of caution that I may come up with other odd looking, but just as correct, spellings. Incidentally, your spellings look as odd to me as mine look to you!



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 649
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:30 pm
View Likes
TheTaleAsOldAsTime wrote a review...



Hi. :D

I'm going to say that this is cute. It's a nice way to tell someone you don't like them. haha
Anyways, this is really good, it was a nice read.
One direct critique: *apologizing.
Other than that I don't have any other critiques. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

~Tale <3 xxx




deleted3 says...


Thank you for your review! I will let you know when I post new work. :-) But note, I write in British English, so "apologising" is correct. I also say "favourite", not "favorite", "analyse", not "analyze" and "theatre", not "theater". (My web browser's spell-check just threw angry red lines at me)

The people who decided on the different spellings never anticipated that the internet would lead to all of us comparing notes... It was tough when I did a research project with an American for an international NGO, and we had to draw straws to decide if the report was going to be written in British or American English!



User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 22

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:22 pm
View Likes
Angelorchid wrote a review...



Hey,
This was just amazing. Truly fabulous. The way the author chose to apologize instead of pretense is great! The words, the symbolism, the emotions, evrything was spot-on!

And the ending is honest and touching. Great work! Looking forward to read more of your writing.




Random avatar

Points: 523
Reviews: 7

Donate
Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:26 pm
View Likes
birdsfly97 wrote a review...



Wow, this is absolutely incredible.
Your imagery and symbolism was effective and made the reader feel as though they were standing there right next to you.

No criticisms whatsoever. I look forward to reading more of your writing!!




deleted3 says...


Thank you so much birds :-) You will find more of my writing in my YWS portfolio, and on my blog. Your feedback is always welcome and highly valued!



deleted3 says...


Thank you so much birds :-) You will find more of my writing in my YWS portfolio, and on my blog. Your feedback is always welcome and highly valued!



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 515
Reviews: 7

Donate
Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:23 pm
View Likes
Logowrites says...



I love this, it's amazing, I loved the closing, you can tell this one came from your heart I love it, I loved the key, that was perfect, I give this a 10/10. It was awesome.




User avatar
84 Reviews


Points: 3836
Reviews: 84

Donate
Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:53 am
View Likes
deleted3 says...



Thank you for your generous feedback Fire, Cookie, and Vyper :-)

IrishFire, the narrator of the poem is aware of how rude she sounds (hence the apology), but prefers honesty over pretence. She is not attacking Future Lover, she is just as sad that this new person is not likely to live up to "him". She wants to move on you see, but at this particular time, has not healed enough to be open to the possibility. I hope you also noted the reason why "he" cannot move on either...

ChocoCookie, I'm glad I've disguised my mistakes well enough to deceive you ;-)

ShadowVyper, thank you... not writing it would take more guts.




User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 1325
Reviews: 22

Donate
Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:38 am
View Likes
IrishFire18 wrote a review...



Wow.
I could think of nothing else to say for five minutes. I completely understand where this is coming from -- I've been in this situation before.
I can really feel your emotion behind this piece. At first, I wasn't sure what this would be about. Now I understand. Now I can completely relate to it. It's a beautifully written poem. It sounds rude, if you think about it, because you're telling this future person that they'll never reach HIS bar, and that they should give up because they can never win your affections. But hey, I know the feeling. Besides, you put it so eloquently. I really love this poem.
I like how you scratched out "yours" and put "his" for the signature.
This whole thing is passionate, honest, and powerful. I love it.
Keep writing!
-Fire




User avatar
187 Reviews


Points: 350
Reviews: 187

Donate
Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:34 am
View Likes
ChocoCookie wrote a review...



Ember (:

I loved it. You're a really good writer and I don't think I found any mistakes that I have to point out. Great work done!

Keep Writing!~

ChocoCookie




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 pm
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Ember!

Wow. This is really good! It really presents the feelings of all of us who have been a lover someone, when the love wasn't meant to be. How the memory of that person eats away at you and holds you back from moving forward until you let go of the past.

Very good.

It takes alot of guts to write a piece like this, and a lot of talent to write it so well.

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)





We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.
— Ernest Hemingway