Smile Like She Did

by creativityrules

Sometimes, when the pain was too potent, he'd teeter to the shelf in the corner, run the tip of his finger along the ragged spines of his stories, and withdraw a volume. When he made it back to his chair, he'd sip his drink, breathe forcedly, and crack open his book.

No matter how much he was hurting, the books would ease the pain. He took confidence in the knowledge that they would; they hadn't failed him yet. They killed the pain without side-effects, blotting it out until he stopped reading. Then, of course, the pain returned in powerful waves, but that was to be expected. Pain was part of his life now; he'd accepted it.

He'd written the books before she'd left, back in the "good old days," as his Grandfather Murphy used to say. He'dhad some very good days, back when she was around to share them with him. One of his most treasured memories was sitting in an Adirondack chair on the shores of a pond with her in his lap, her dress draped across his knees, her arm around his shoulders. They'd loved each other in a way that doomed them from the first minute they knew they had. After all, life doesn't go on forever, and they understood that death would separate them from each other's arms one day.

"But not now," he used to say, before pushing a stray strand of hair off of her forehead and tucking it behind her ears. She'd always nod emphatically, but he used to fancy that she knew something he didn't.

Perhaps she had, but it didn't matter anymore. She wouldn't be able to tell him.

Tonight, he was sitting in his chair, cradling a dog-eared book in his lap, his eyes trailing over the words, savoring them. They were all inspired by her. He'd always secretly felt that the reason they'd become best-sellers was the fact that he'd written them about her. After all, everyone knew that he was an unpleasant, undesirable person, but she was entirely different. Everyone loved her.

He read the last sentence aloud to himself.

"And when the notes of the last song shivered and died out, she smiled."

And she had. When she was finally fading, when the sickness had sent her gliding to the point of no return, she'd had one last request.

"Sing to me. One last time."

And he had. He'd sang her her favorite song, trying to be strong and smile for her, but all he'd managed to come up with was crooked twist of his mouth and a curtain of tears dribbling down his face. When he'd finished, she'd smiled peacefully, leaving the world with one last gift. It was her way.

He closed the book quickly, regretting that he'd let himself go so far. As soon as he did, the pain returned in full force. But tonight, he smiled. It had been her way, and tonight, it would be his.

Hi creativityrules,

I had the impression when I started reading here that I was embarking on a longer novel. I was captivated from the beginning by the descriptions you gave here, which made it really easy to get into the story as a reader.

You use really excellent language, and write with a daring calm, so I find it feels like an excerpt. That's also kind of my only criticism, that it feels like this is an actual excerpt you're presenting here, coming from some novella of yours. :D

I like how there's a thread through the story of this effect, that you don't go into detail, yet try to give enough away to give the reader at least an idea of what's happening. I think that's a really big plus you have there, and helps to set the mood and tone for the story.

I like how a lot of it reads very emotionally, and is wrapped up in a kind of "breath" so that it reads like a whisper being told. Despite the somewhat mournful mien you get here, it feels very uplifting overall.

Some other points I noticed while reading:

You have a very great start to the story, with a good description in this paragraph. There is something ominous and precious about it and I like it very much to set the tone for the rest of the story.

He'dhad some very good days,

A tiny typo here.

In general a really great story with a lot of description and explaining instead of showing.

ERZA wrote a review...

Wow a very beautiful story! I absolutely loved your narration. Its so nice! You have presented this beautifully. It has a poetic and abstract touch to it too which is why I like it.

Firstly I must say you did a wonderful job of writing this a bit differently. Also...everything was alright except that there wasn't much description but it helps me to keep wondering and imagining I guess. :-)

Secondly, you did not make much mistakes here. Its patchy in spaces but thats barely noticable. Other that that there were some spelling error which could be typos or somethibg.

Third and lastly, this is a very good story. I enjoyed trading this. Thanks.
Keep writing. :-) :-)

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
— Oscar Wilde