Shovelfuls of Dirt

by creativityrules

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

"The world is shovelfuls of dirt," he thinks, bringing a cigarette to his lips. "Lie back on the cold earth. Don't you fall asleep. Are you sleeping? You're sleeping, aren't you? Are you ever going to sit up again? Bury yourself one shovelful at a time."

He sits in the middle of the shack, mud smudged on the floor and something left behind by a mouse in the corner. He sits and inhales the dust, the smell of the place where the tobacco has never left. Someone smoked pipe tobacco here once, long ago, smoked enough so that the smell still seeps out of the wood on damp days when the sun hasn't shone brightly enough, when the rain drips through the hole in the corner of the roof and forms a puddle of moss and brown water and broken things on the floor.

He thinks of food. Hot food. Spoonfuls of hot food going down the back of his throat. It is food that someone has taken a lot of time making; he can taste the effort that went into it. The taste lingers in his mouth long after he imagines swallowing it, a warm brown taste of good things and spices and perhaps something like oregano and root beer mixed together, brewed into a thick something that warms his belly on the way down. He used to have food that was that way. Now he eats things that come out of crinkling silver packages because that is what he can afford.

"No one will be able to say they've seen me. Not that you'd ask, dad. But you might ask, I think; your knives might get hungry. Because they might get hungry for the skin over my ribs. And you might get hungry, too, hungry for the one thing you like to do when it is night and the sirens are out, quiet and loud all at once.

"There was a fear like a white wire of pain worming itself around in my head. Nothing mattered but the door. And then there was you. It was you and it was not you. It was not the you that was there in the mornings, sullen and distant, carving the juice out of a grapefruit and pretending I wasn't there; it was the you that was alive and tense, a you that sunk your hands into the things I hated about myself and built a nest there, laughing, saying, 'Isn't this fun, Jimmy, oh my, isn't it just?'

"But it was anything but fun. Because there is nothing that is fun but the cigarettes. Everyone says they're going to kill you, but they forget about all of the things that are much worse. The smoke kills you over time, but so do words. So do the people who stare at you from their cars acting like you're a scab on the face of the planet. Fast food kills you, being cold kills you, the flu kills you, fevers kill you. Even the man who prints the newspaper kills you because he lets you know about other people who have been killed. And the parts of you that wanted to believe that there were people out there who wanted to keep you safe dies, perishes because of him.

"Even the man on the corner will do bad things to you if you don't watch out, the one who watches you when you get on the bus, the one who's waiting for you when you get back. Everything is killing you. Even you. And you can't do a thing to stop it."

Another drag, another puff, a resettling of muscles. One hand moves to his ribs, touches gently, moves way. He resumes thinking to himself.

"Lamplight, shining bright,

keep me in your soul tonight.

I promise you we'll head on home

and see the world, the lamplight gone."

The lullaby. His mother's voice wavering up and down like water swirling in a cup. The faster her voice wavered, the worse he knew it was getting. Four years since the last time she sang it. She sang it to him even when he was twelve because both of them needed it. Because his father was starting to get worse and his mother was starting to notice and he was wondering if he was going to hell because he thought maybe he liked boys, but then, he'd kissed a girl and he'd liked it, so what did that mean? Someone called him gay because his shirt was too tight - he'd grown over the summer and didn't have money for new ones - and he was confused and a little scared because he wasn't sure whether the name caller had been right or not.

"Lamplight, kiss me, hold me close.

The sun is gone and no one knows.

For night is only secrecy

and you've told your secrets to me."

He sings the words softly to himself, beneath his breath, trying to see if any of his mother's voice is inside of his voice, if there is any of her left; he catches maybe a syllable of his mother in the third line, but it's gone in an instant, replaced by his father's voice thrumming in his head.

"Don't you dare move. Don't you ever move again. Your mother moved. Don't you remember where she ended up? You'll end up there, I know it's true, just stay still. Don't stay still. You're being too quiet. You're being too loud. You're simply being. Is there anything in this world that you can do right, you damned boy? You can't even get it right, not even this, and it's supposed to be fun. Your mother never knew it was fun, either..."

He shakes his head vehemently, shakes the thoughts out of his mind. They tumble from his ears. He begins singing the lullaby again, washing his mind clean with thoughts of his mother.

"Lamplight, lovely, love you more.

I promise we will find a door.

Our love is here, the shades are drawn.

I promise you we'll see the dawn. "

The lullaby is one of the things he misses most about her. He misses it so much that he's written his own, has written it with cigarettes. The first one made him cough. The second one made him sneeze. The third one was heaven. He sucks them down because at last there is something in the world that belongs to him, even if it does turn into smoke and waft in misty cirliques up the hole in the corner of the roof, even if he does have to find someone to buy them from at school because he's only sixteen and can't buy them for himself. Her lullaby used to smooth all of the empty places inside of him. The smoke serves the same purpose.

"Lamplight, lovely, I am here.

The past is gone, the future near.

But though the world may see us part,

I promise you, you're in my heart."

He takes another puff of the cigarette, rubs it out on the floor, sits back, glances around the room. His father might find him here. Will his father want to find him? And if his father does want to, will it be because his knives are hungry or because he loves him?

"Does he love me? I think he thinks he loves me. He loves me with the knife. He loves me by paying me attention, loves me when my bones collide with steel, loves me when I wash my own sheets in the morning. And it is not love at all, but he thinks it is. So maybe it is love to him. But it is not love to me. If it is love to him and not me, then who the hell is right?"

He shifts his weight - his hand flickers to his ribcage again - and resettles himself. His fingertip brushes against moss. Curious, he brings it to his lips.

"This is the taste of moss. The moss eats things. The moss is a plant that slowly creeps over the entire world and wraps it in a soft green blanket. Keeps the world warm. And bugs live there, inside of it, in soft green homes. Do any of the fathers have knives? Do any of the sons eat things from foil packages? Do praying mantises creep out to shacks in the middle of the night after the fathers with the knives have gone to sleep and they've eaten the things from the foil packages and sit up smoking cigarettes and pretending that nothing has ever mattered, that the world is shovelfuls of dirt?

"What if everyone has pictures on their ribcages? What if everyone has a mother beneath the shovelfuls? What if everyone has someone like her to remember like you do; you remember her in a way that snaps you in half and your spine is obliterated and you want nothing more in all the world but to love someone, and not the way your father loves you, but the way your mother loved you, the way she wanted the best for you, the way she apologized to you for not getting you away from him fast enough, the way the pictures your father drew on her were inside of her and not outside of her the way they are on you?"

He leans back against the wall; his hand moves absently to his shirt, burrowing beneath it, gently brushing the lines cris-crossing his skin. His father's lines, the pictures his father draws with his knife. Each line is a scream; each scar is a swear.

"This is my father's love. And the lullaby is my mother's love. And I am all out of cigarettes."

So he thinks. He settles back against the wall and continues thinking to himself, continues talking.

"The world is shovelfuls of dirt. Lie back on the cold earth. Don't you fall asleep. Are you sleeping? Are you sleeping yet? Are you ever going to sit up again? Bury yourself one shovelful at a time.

"You are the person sleeping in the ground and the person holding the shovel. A part of you only wants to be one and part of you knows you're both. And you hate yourself for being both, but you're too afraid to just be one.

The world is shovelfuls of dirt. Lie back. Listen to the clunks hitting the ceiling and know that you are in a place you can't get out of. You are the man holding the shovel and you are the man in the coffin. All of the world is a graveyard and that is why everyone is so sad all of the time, killing each other and cutting each other and screaming, because we are living on top of the same thing we have thrown on top of the people we love most. We know that sooner or later, we're going to have stop laying in a grave or digging a grave and choose one, and that scares the shit out of us. We know that sooner or later, the shovelfuls of dirt are going to catch up with us.

His fingers touch a sensitive place. He flinches and looks down, inspects his scarlet fingertips.

"Someday maybe I will look down and not see my father's stories anymore."

He imagines shovelfuls of dirt covering his father's stories, imagines soil covering skin, imagines his mother, singing her lullaby in her trembling voice:

But though the world may see us part,

I promise you you're in my heart.

He stands to leave the shack.

"All the stands between us, Mom," he whispers, "are shovelfuls of dirt."

Deanie wrote a review...

Hi Creativity,

You have a great style with writing, and you write meaningful things. I like the imagery and description in this work. Most of the problems I've come across here are already mentioned. Especially Niebla, as she has already said. Some paragraphs were more powerful than others, and some told the story better than others. All of them tell the story. I also like how you never directly said his dad hurts him, but then we can understand it because of his habit to touch his ribs, or his reference to his fathers 'drawings' and his knife.

I just wanted to say it was beautifully written really. Not much of a proper review :) You've already got such great feedback, so.

Deanie x

Niebla wrote a review...

Hi creativityrules,

I enjoyed reading this; while all that is really going on is reflection on his broken family and broken life, the character really brings the story to life with his way (however depressing) of looking at things, and that drew me in. The imagery and descriptions give me a clear idea of what is important to him, of what he misses, and of his state of mind.

Some parts of the story were better at doing this than others:

I love this. It’s simple but easy to imagine and powerful – not just about the food itself, but the care that has gone into it.

This part didn’t have such a powerful effect on me. In many other places each sentence of the story seemed to open up more sprawling images and emotions, but here it loses it a little. Especially towards the end, it stops being so personal to the character, becomes more of a simple fact than a moment of his life. Maybe if it were changed just a little, or expanded on, it would fit better with the rest. It could be expanded on to show his actual thoughts at the time, or what exactly the fear and confusion was like for him (in a sense the whole story is about his emotions; it would be less evocative if it were just summed up in single sentences, words for emotions: “he was lonely/wistful/afraid.”)

There are other things I wish there was a bit more detail on (even if just tiny hints), and others yet that were slightly repetitive. I kept reading about his father’s knives and hunger, and in a way I loved this, but I also wished that the story told and showed it in more different ways instead of just the same way over and over again, ways which might give a bit more of a clue as to why the father did what he did, or how it felt in the moment for the son. Just a tiny bit more on what happened to his mother. But it might be that I’m just saying this out of curiosity as a reader; after reading this I’d really like to find out more. It’s good, at the same time, that the story doesn’t give everything away.

Then there’s his speech. He keeps talking out loud to himself, and while what he says tells the reader a lot, it seems random, disconnected, almost as if he’s speaking in places for the purpose of telling the reader; but how can he, when he’s in his own world and unaware of any reader? Is there maybe something that prompted him to speak out loud? I wish this was clearer. Maybe he was speaking to ghosts, or hoping that somebody would hear him, or even writing it down in a letter (to give to someone, or to hope someone would find it) instead of talking? He speaks with eloquence, and it seems out of place without there being something to have prompted it. Without knowing more, I find it hard to believe that he would really speak in this way to himself.

The phrase “shovelful of dirt” keeps reappearing as a reoccurring theme, and while this works in places, in others it seemed to get too much. It works at the beginning, and at the end, but maybe less so because of the constant repetition in between. A few of the repetitions could be replaced with something else that gives the same image, but with a new twist, from different angles.

Overall, though, I really did like this and I think it could be even more powerful with editing, experimenting with even more different ways to show the things the story is showing. (: I hope that this helps a little.

~Niebla

OliveDreams wrote a review...

Hi creativityrules! Here to review your short story on this amazingly fine review day! I will review as I read so that it will make much more sense to both me and you.

Here goes!

The description you have in your second paragraph is MARVELOUS! I can even smell that old tobacco smell. Great job. I especially love the line, “smoked enough so that the smell still seeps out of the wood on damp days when the sun hasn't shone brightly enough”

I would say that you should have a look at your sentence length in that particular paragraph. Throw a few short ones in there to spice it up a little and keep the readers interest for longer.

“hungry for the one thing you like to do when it is night and the sirens are out, quiet and loud all at once.” - This line particularly caught my attention! I wanna know what he does!

The repeated lullaby is a really nice touch in letting us see the emotional and human side to your character.

"“Each line is a scream; each scar is a swear.” - My heart is literally bleeding for this guy! I don't want this father to find him!

I LOVED this! I really did. It's raw, real and painful. I like that you've made it about him on his own talking about his life. I love the relationship you've created between him and his mother. It just makes the reader feel for him even more. I also love the repeated use of 'shovefuls of dirt'

The only criticisms I could find is that I wish it had been longer and to check your sentence length!

Good luck - I look forward to reading some more of your work soon!

Olive <3

Cailey wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm here for my first review of review day. :)
Yay Green Lanterns, and Yay Review day!!

Okay, so first of all I want to see that I really loved this. You did an incredible job with the character development here and the story and the thoughts and, yeah... overall I just really loved this and you did such a great job of drawing me in and getting me interested in the story. I did not want to stop reading up until the very end, and even after I finished I wanted to keep going, to follow the boy out of the shack and see what happens next.

The title is good too, and I love how you keep referring back to it, and start of with the shovelfuls of dirt and then return to it again before the ending. I always like stories where the beginning connects to the end.

The first thing I noticed that you could change is the boy's age. At the beginning I pictured an older guy with a beard, and then all of a sudden you said he was sixteen and that threw me off for a while. I don't know if this is necessarily a bad thing. I mean, I guess a boy whose father draws on him with a knife is bound to be older than his years. You can't expect him to act like a sixteen year old. But still, something just seemed a little bit off about his age. I don't know if you can think of how to fix that.

I also didn't really like the big chunk where he's talking to himself (the first time) I mean, I liked that he was talking to himself, but it seemed to go on a little bit too much. Like when he went on about all the things that kill him. It was good, but maybe drawn on a little too long. See if you can cut anything out of that paragraph. Let's see, it was the sixth and seventh paragraph I'm pretty sure.

I really liked the lullaby and all the times you went back to it- it made the story much more eerie and sad. And it was a great way to introduce the mother.

I think that's all I have for now. I really liked this. My biggest suggestion is just to take out some of the thought process, since he went on a little too long and I started to get annoyed instead of identifying with him.

Otherwise, nice job, I loved this, and keep writing!

PS: @VeerenVKS and I are awesome.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:49 pm
EloquentDragon wrote a review...

Well, can I just say how refreshing it is to see a short story on here every once in a while?

This is excellently done. I loved it, and it’s hard for me to come up with a fitting review, but here goes:

I liked how you chose to use present tense here, it’s a bit unusual and it fits with the mood of the piece. However, beware of slipping out of it. It’s also alright to use past tense when referring to the past, such as here:

It is food that someone has taken a lot of time making; he can taste the effort that went into it.

“Someone has taken a long time to make,” is perfectly fine, and still works with present tense.

…and the sirens are out, quiet and loud all at once.

The rest of the dialogue is fine here, but this made no sense no matter how I looked at it. Sirens? Police sirens? Why would they be out? Why would his dad be “hungry” then? You might consider omitting, or changing, or something.

Okay, so you start out with the boy’s dialogue, but it sort of gets muddled in the middle when he starts using terms and phrases that a 16 year old mentally disturbed boy probably wouldn’t be using, and then it slips into your narrative voice, out of his voice. You need to be careful here. It happens more than once. Because this piece is so lyrical/poetic in nature, there’s a greater danger of slipping out of the mind of your character. Try to make the distinction between his monologue and the narration more, well, distinct.

Compared to the implied and obscure detail of action in the rest of the piece, “he resumes thinking to himself.” Is a bit garish. Is there a more consistent way you could put this?

"Lamplight, shining bright,

keep me in your soul tonight.

I promise you we'll head on home

and see the world, the lamplight gone."

I love this. You also use it with effective repetition in the rest of the story. Nice touch.

…and he was wondering if he was going to hell because he thought maybe he liked boys, but then, he'd kissed a girl and he'd liked it, so what did that mean? Someone called him gay because his shirt was too tight - he'd grown over the summer and didn't have money for new ones - and he was confused and a little scared because he wasn't sure whether the name caller had been right or not.

This seemed…. Random. And disconnected from everything else that happens in this story. Sure, his dad has certain “tendencies” but does that mean he does? And even if he is gay, how is that relevant to the story? Particularly, how is it relevant to the story now. It seems sort of “thrown in” and that’s what made it stick out. It’s clunky, and slightly distracting from the remainder (and point) of the rest of the narrative.

Now, the last thing I have to say is try to structure the sequence of events just a bit more. This is supposed to be “surrealist,” yes, but it should still follow the basic laws of cause and effect. Ask yourself, “Why does he think this here? Is this the best time for him to be thinking this, or would he be asking this/thinking this sooner?” This has a fluidity to it, but sometimes it gets interrupted with the seemingly random series of thought and action. Try to give him a reason for what he’s doing now. Show us the why.

Other than that, I can’t find anything else to point out. This was intense, well-handled. Great imagery.

~ED

Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.
— Enid Bagnold