untitled

by clancy

Drinking Red bull like it’s wine

(I’m afraid of becoming 21)

Using earbuds to block the shouts

(these cords are wearing out)

How unsafe is too unsafe?

(and how do you tell if someone’s changed?)

This isn’t a cry for help

(It’s almost addicting to drown)

I’m slowly realizing we are the only ones who understand

(please tell me what its like to not understand)

We are made up of broken blood and bruised bones

(there is no glory in these wounds)

We are a family

(in that we are the only ones who know the exact demons walking these halls)

And we can never forget

(we will never forget)

I really dig the formatting for this piece! The way you put parenthetical thoughts in between each line is nice, and adds a sort of "whispered" inner thought element to the voice of the narrator.

You've got a unique poetic voice, and the opening two lines are just so striking. "Drinking Red bull like it's wine / I'm afraid of becoming 21" - gosh, there's a lot of emotion in there. It has the contrast between the sophisticated and desperate, but also the anxiety and fear of relying on something addictive or unhealthy.

It's a little difficult to follow the narrative all the way through because the piece feels a bit disjointed from thought to thought. On one hand I kind of like the stilted flow of the piece, because it goes with the expression of fear/anxiety - but I do wish I could interpret the narrative a little more clearly. For instance we go from addiction, to brokenness, to family, to memories and 'never forget' -> there aren't any transitions or themes that run through. I think if you wrapped back to some of the initial images of drinking at the end, or had a running metaphor it'd help the poem feel more cohesive.

I think overall though this is a really interesting point of view for a poem. Looking forward to reading more of your work!

alliyah

clancy says...

Thank you so much! The main theme of the poem (although cryptic I know) is family problems. Drinking as a way of trying to cope and such. :)
I know it%u2019s not nearly enough information in the poem to lead someone to that conclusion, I know I write very vague and emotional poems xD but again thank you for commenting!

alliyah says...

Ahhhh that makes the "broken blood & broken bones" line a really great play on words actually.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:33 pm
ElvenJedi wrote a review...

Heya, this is ElvenJedi, here to review your work!

First off, I absolutely love the words you chose in this poem and the meaning behind it all. Great job! Anyway, onto some critique~

Throughout this work, there are some lines that almost rhyme, but not quite: "shouts" and "out", "unsafe" and "changed, "bones" and "wounds". This made the lines that didn't rhyme at all, such as "help" and "drown", sound rather odd and unfitting. I suggest either you keep the near rhymes consistent throughout the poem, or you get rid of the more obvious ones like "shouts" and "out".

Also, the lines in the first half of the poem (up until "I'm slowly realizing...") are generally short and have a bit of a rhythm to them. In the second half however, the lines are longer and less poetic/lyrical. Specifically, these lines:

We are a family

The second line here is unnecessarily lengthy, and I can already pick out a few words that could be taken out the shorten it, such as "exact". The lack of rhythm in this line as will as it's length is made very obvious in contrast to the 4 word line before it, so maybe lengthening that one and shortening the one after would help? Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Lastly, the two lines last lines are very dramatic and slightly overused in poems and lyrics, and don't fit well with the rest of the poem. Judging from the deep and original content of the rest of this work, I can tell you're capable of finding a better, more powerful ending.

Aside from that, I very much enjoyed reading this poem. I especially liked the use of parentheses- it can easily be done wrong, but you did it perfectly and it fit amazingly!

Overall, this was a very good work, and I'm glad I took the time to read it! I hope you find this review helpful! I look forward to reading more of your works in the future, keep it up!

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:44 am
ThatOneGuy2002 wrote a review...

Wow, interesting and very good. I am also unsure of what this counts as, but I like it. I can totally relate to this, the fear of getting older, the pain of a broken family, I have lived, and am still living through a very similar experience. Nothing really to correct as far as the setup, its very good, though not following any specific structure. I like the wording, and the veiw of an optimist, and then a following veiw of a pessimist. Good job on this, and I hope to hear more in the future! :3

Percy fell face-first into his pizza.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena