Untitled

by cj2344

As a child I never emulated women who carried purses. I suppose it seemed silly to carry something when you didn’t have to. After all, my mother was always pleased to make room in her purse for my belongings, no matter how meaningless.

It seems, as we begin to move independently from those who care for us, that we begin to carry our own things. In small ways at first, gradually gaining items of more importance with age. Eventually, we stop asking for help. We are alone with our possessions, perhaps this is greedy. It may even be a diminished form of alienation. We hold the weight of what we want, what we are, and, more often, what we need.

As I grew, my mind started to fit into these ideas. By the age of twelve I had conformed to the idea that I wanted to hold my own things. I fell so deeply in love with this idea that as I grew, so did the bags I carried.

I remember my first purse well. It was a hand-me-down from my sister, who always knew what was in style. It was a knockoff designer bag with a collage of C’s plastered across the front. I fantasized about holding countless objects in it’s silky beige interior, being able to go anywhere. It felt like being free. I’ve come to know that this was the major turning point in my life.

I was able to go out with my friends now that I could take care of my own things. There was no one to hold a spare pen, or a receipt. None of us shared what was inside of our purses. It was like a secret guessing game that we never talked about.

In the years to come I found myself needing and wanting more things. My purses became tote bags. I couldn’t justify leaving a notebook home. I always needed three pens, and two flashlights. Incase I ran out of ink, or the power went out. None of this seemed strange. It was just my bag, and nobody could convince me it wasn’t the norm.

One night I opened my bag and stared into it’s vastness. All of the sudden things become less coherent. Why did I need and want so many things? Why was everything so necessary? I gave myself one of the best favors I’ve ever received that night. My bag and I headed into my mother’s room and showed her. For the first time since I carried my own weight, I handed it off to someone else.

In the years following that night I began to lose more and more of the things from my bag. Soon I dreaded even having to carry the essentials, but I was always aware of what I needed. I want so much a moment where there is nothing I have to hold. I want to walk barefoot on a beach with a neglected five dollar bill tucked in the back pocket of my shorts. I want to wave my arms whenever I want, and wiggle my toes for no reason.

I don’t want to be weighed down by the necessary, or the fantastical.

I want to be free.

Sonder wrote a review...

I enjoyed this piece very much. I am just wondering, did this actually happen, or was it just symbolism all around? I myself never carry anything more than a five dollar bill in my pocket and hate to wear shoes, so that description made me laugh. I loved the development throughout the story and the great realization near the end. I liked the introduction, and how you admired your mom as an independent person. I liked how you described how,
"I was able to go out with my friends now that I could take care of my own things. There was no one to hold a spare pen, or a receipt. None of us shared what was inside of our purses. It was like a secret guessing game that we never talked about."
I really liked that, because it showed that the purses sometimes held dark secrets and had meaning to you (at least that's how I saw it). I really liked the imagery in,
"One night I opened my bag and stared into it’s vastness."
I just imagined a void, the open purse a black hole. This whole story reminded me of how Mary Poppins can reach anything and everything out of her purse. Maybe you could drop a little quote or scene from her in there. :)
My favorite part was the revelation and realization.
"I want so much a moment where there is nothing I have to hold. I want to walk barefoot on a beach with a neglected five dollar bill tucked in the back pocket of my shorts. I want to wave my arms whenever I want, and wiggle my toes for no reason. I don’t want to be weighed down by the necessary, or the fantastical.
I want to be free."

I loved the lesson learned and the freedom and happiness coming from here. Also, I realized that I love the word "fantastical." :) Thank you for this awesome work of art!

~GC

cj2344 says...

Thanks! I really appreciate your review. Actually, the symbolism of this piece was inspired by something a little less dramatic, but the meaning behind it came from my actual life. I really like your mary poppins idea and I just may have to add a quote :) haha thanks so much!

Deanie wrote a review...

Hi Cj2344

I liked this. It had great symbolism in there, what with the handbag and carrying thing around. I really like how you even started off from when we were young, just learning how to carry things. And then how it transformed into an older age. That was well done :)

I think you have some reasonably good phrases to quote here. Especially those which have been commented on already. It's a good piece of writing, with memorable new lines you've invented. I don't think I can stress how much I like it.

Sometimes I got a bit confuses as to where the bag was an actual bag to symbolism. But apart from that I cannot find anything remotely wrong with your work. All I can say is keep writing.

Deanie x

cj2344 says...

Thanks so much :)

SushiSashimi333 wrote a review...

It was like a secret guessing game that we never talked about.
I absolutely loved this line here using a simile to bring your youthful way of looking at things into the "story". I think that this was very well organized using a variety of words to make your point. The way that first you explained women and purses then used yourself as an example really helped the reader understand a bit more why you were writing this. To end with the you now and how you changed from your change was also very good. There were some lines that I didn't really like in this piece that at first confused me making me read them over again.
My bag and I headed into my mother’s room and showed her.
The beginning made it sound as if you had accidentally forgotten a part of your sentence until I realized you meant you were referring to your bag as if it was another person. That part was pretty ingenious, making your bag seem as if it had some bit of a person in it, but confused me all the same.
I gave myself one of the best favors I’ve ever received that night.
This part is just me being picky, but giving oneself a favor never really occurred to me as possible, maybe the correct word would be "did", but that's really for you to decide.
Overall I really liked this piece and the way it was written gave it character and put a little you into it. Keep up the good work! :D

cj2344 says...

XD YES !!!! EMBRACE THE POWER OF CAPS LOCK + EXCLAMATION!!!! no SHAME IN BEING EASILY EXCITABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Euphory