"Broken" Prologue

by chocolavahappiness

At first, it felt like we were meant to be.

Ours wasn't a typical romance. It wasn't as if our eyes met from across the room and this fluffy feeling erupted inside us. 

No.

Our love was gentle. It took time. And for that very reason, we believed it was true love. 

The first time I saw him, he didn't strike me as particularly attractive. In fact, his nasal voice annoyed me and I took pains to stay away from him. Some days later, you could almost say that I had forgotten about his existence entirely.  

Then by a twist of fate, we were assigned to do a school work together. Locked inside four walls with no company but each other, we talked. And talked and talked and talked. It surprised me how much we had in common. I felt like I had found my other half. We had the same dreams, the same opinions...and we were both broken emotionally for no fault of our own. Broken and cast aside by the people we loved most of all.

But we fit together like pieces of a puzzle..so well that I couldn't see the cracks anymore. With him I felt whole. Complete.

He was the first to confess.

I cried a lot that day, out of happiness or fear I didn't know.  The next day I told him it was too soon for me to think of a relationship, and my heart burst when he told me he would wait.

Despite my best efforts, I was slowly falling in love. 

Then , he changed.The change was subtle. Not easily noticeable. But I felt it. It cut deep. 

And now, my love hurts more than ever.

This might seem like just another sob story. I'm not denying it. But if I do not tell it to anyone else, I cannot sort out my feelings. So please listen to me. And maybe, just maybe...I might have my happy ending after all.

Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:17 am

First Impression: Well...this was a fun little start here to this story..certainly was quite an intriguing prologue here. It does make you think that there could be quite an interesting story to come here behind all of what's happening here.

Hmm...okay...looks like the cliches from most romance stories are being immediately denounced here right from the start which is an interesting way to get this story off the ground there....certainly gets you attention early in the prologue here.

No.

Hmm...well, that does sound pretty nice so far...it appears to just be a bit of a introduction although the use of past tense there kinda makes me feel that something may have gone very wrong here...

Okay...looks like things are being taken right back to the beginning there...and well...I suppose the prologue does appear to be setting something up soo...well let's see where this goes before any decisions are made here.

Okayy....well that's a sweet moment there...the flow is working surprisingly well so far and this appears to just be a very wholesome story here of a friendship just being born like that and turning into even more there by the looks of it. Certainly puts a smile on your face that one. :D

He was the first to confess.

Well..this is really going towards a lot of happiness which is definitely making me paranoid to see what horrors could possibly be lying in wait to this wonderful tale here.

I cried a lot that day, out of happiness or fear I didn't know. The next day I told him it was too soon for me to think of a relationship, and my heart burst when he told me he would wait.

Well...that does seem like a pretty healthy situation there...and hmm...my hope that this prologue cuts out on a happy note continues to increase now. This really seems to just be a wholesome tale of love so far.

Then, he changed.The change was subtle. Not easily noticeable. But I felt it. It cut deep.

And now, my love hurts more than ever.

Oh..well that's what I was afraid of...well sort of, I was expecting an outside force to cause some trouble but it appears its not quite that..in fact I think this makes it even more impactful here to have that be the cause of everything...

Well...I would certainly love to see a happy ending..cause well...I do love those..hmm....interesting end there to the prologue but I think it is quite fitting, it sets up the story to come quite nicely there. You've done a pretty good job there.

Overall: Overall, a fairly solid prologue this one...it certainly seems to cover a decent bit of what you would expect from a prologue..and it seems like the sort of story that I would want to follow. :D

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:10 am
Noelle wrote a review...

I read this a while ago and totally meant to review it, but I forgot >< Story of my life. Anyways, I'm here now!

No.

This might just be my stylistic preference, but I feel like there are too many paragraphs here. There are four paragraphs here, all referring to the same subject: the love between two characters. So why split it up into so many different paragraphs? If you combine them all I'm sure it'll sound just as good.

Um... what does 'take pains' mean? I've never heard of that saying before. don't judge me :3

The next day I told him it was too soon for me to think of a relationship, and my heart burst when he told me he would wait.

I appreciate the description here -- really, I do, I think it's great -- but it doesn't sound like the right description. When I thin of someone's heart bursting, I think of heartbreak and disappointment. But he's saying that he'll wait for her. Shouldn't that make her feel happy? Make her heart leap for joy? You know you have true love when someone will wait around for you. At least, I think so. I've never been in love so I wouldn't know.

This prologue is pretty good. You've got a good start to a teenage (I'm assuming) love story. I don't spot any cliches in here which is great. Whenever you write a love story, you run the risk of making it cliche. I mean, how many different love stories can there be, really? Boy falls for girl, girls falls for boy and vice versa. Girl and boy get to know each other. Boy and girl fall in love. That's basically all a love story is. And that's what you've got here, but it doesn't strike me as a cookie cutter type of story. I can sense that there's going to be something that sets this story apart from all the other love stories out there.

I'm torn between wanting to have more details in here and not wanting them. It's always hard with prologues because it's not a chapter; it's just an introduction. Writing a prologue is like saying "Hey, here's what's going to happen in my novel" or "Here's what's happened already/going to happen. Now listen to the rest of the story". So you don't want to be too heavy with details, but you also don't want to be sparse. That being said, and after reading through it one more time, I think that you have a good balance here. You give us background and enough detail to form an image in our minds.

Overall I like the way your story is starting out. You know, I've spent so much time staying away from romance novels and stories that I think I don't realize just how great they can be. Your prologue here definitely pulls me in and makes me want to read more. I want to meet this mysterious boy! He sounds great :) And I want to know how/why he changed. That sounds like it's going to be a big part of the story. I can't wait to read more!

**Noelle**

Thanks a lot :D Geez, it feels good to know that someone actually took the time to read my story so thoroughly. Thanks for the advice :) I hope you will read the first chapter too!

Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:37 am
WelcomingException wrote a review...

"his nasal voice" nasal is being used as an adjective, so it needs to be an adjective. Right now it is two nouns in a row, and that doesnt flow well. Try, "nasally" etc.

"I took pains to stay away from him" I don't understand what your trying to say here. "I had to take pills to be near him" or "It was painful to be near him" or "it was painful to stay away from him" This sentance is very ahrd to udnerstand.

"and talked and talked and talked." This again is not a well structured sentance. It repetitive in a bad way. try "We talked for hours" "We talked, and it felt like I never wanted to stop, and we didn't for a long time." Its easier to read and is better structured.

I really like this story where your going with this. It reminds me of my boyfriend and I when we first met (but without teh nasally voice). I can't wait to read more!

Whoa Thanks :) And thanks a lot for the suggestions too. I'll keep them in mind!
And it reminds you of your boyfriend? :) That's awsum. Hope you guys are doing good.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:43 am
aikikid123 says...

I like this a lot! You paint a good picture, and give just enough detail to leave the reader wanting more. I like that it isn't your typical love at first sight story. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more!

Thank you for the compliments!!! Yup, I'll keep writing! :D

Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:04 am
Dracula wrote a review...

Hello! Welcome to the Young Writers Society! You'll feel right at home here. :)
First I'll just write down any nitpicks that I might find, then I'll talk about your work...

Then by a twist of fate, we were assigned to do a school work together.

A school work doesn't make sense. You could try a school project or just some school work.

Then , he changed.The change was subtle.

You just need to watch your typing here. A comma isn't necessary between 'then' and 'he'. Also, there are a few too many spaces in the first sentence and you're missing one before the second.

Alright, those are all the nitpicks I found. What about your work? I really, really liked the way you wrote it. It flows well, almost as if it's a poem. And your character spoke directly to me, as if she was telling me a big secret.

I think you've definitely got something coming along here. Feel free to let me know if you'd like me to review chapter 1!

Hello Jazzydracula! (completely random and awesome name btw)
Thank you for your review!! I'm happy someone has taken the time to read it. Now that I think about it, school 'work' does sound rather stupid.

And yeah,it would be great if you can review chapter one. Thanks in advance!!

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:54 pm
Jared wrote a review...

Hello there.

Nitpicks and Changes:

Then by a twist of fate, we were assigned to do a school work together. Locked inside four walls with no company but each other, we talked. And talked and talked and talked.

"Locked inside four walls with no company but each other, we talked endlessly/for what seemed like hours/etc."
Avoid writing things like "And talked and talked and talked" as it's clunky and can be achieved in a much more suitable way.

Try: "But we fit together like pieces of puzzle; so well that I couldn't see the cracks anymore. With him I felt whole and complete."
The use of .. to separate ideas/sentences/statements is a much weaker method of separation than other available techniques. Avoid its use.

Then , he changed.The change was subtle. Not easily noticeable. But I felt it. It cut deep.

"Then he changed. The change was subtle. Not easily noticeable, but I felt it and it cut deep"
Also, elaboration would help in some instances.

Analysis/Discussion
First of all, I wouldn't bother with a prologue for something like this. I would start with the first chapter. Secondly, although I noticed some mistakes, I enjoyed your use of language in many areas. The prologue could have been better with more descriptions, rather than just a constant stream of remote thoughts from the protagonist, but that's only a small thing.

Keep on writing.

Hello Jared :)
Thanks for the in depth review!! And thanks for not sugar coating your words ;) I'll keep in mind all your suggestions and once I'm through with the whole work I'm planning on rewriting it. Thanks again, and I hope you can review my chapter one too.

If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke