One Fall

by chocoholic

This is short, but it didn't take me long to write. I hope you like it. Please tell me what you thought.

I lined up with the other contestants. We were all determined to win, but

there would only be one winner. Me. When the gun went off, I raced ahead.

My arms and legs pumping, my breathing consistent and rhythmic. My eyes

were purely focused on the finish line. There was no one in sight. The wild

cheer of the crowd died down until I could only hear my thoughts.

Breath,’ I said to myself as I ran, ‘Push.’

I was 100 metres away from the finish line. I was still coming first, but I

could now hear the footsteps of a person behind me. I used all the energy

I had in my body left to propel myself forward.

Keep on Running,’ my thoughts screamed in my ear.

I glanced to the side. The was someone next to me.

No way are you beating me,’ I thought as I pushed myself even

further, ‘I’ve worked so hard for this day, and you’re not taking it away from

me.’

My runners continued hitting the hard ground in a pattern, my breathing

stayed in time and my arms swung rhythmically. I was gaining ground.

There was no way anybody could beat me now.

My thoughts reverted back to my childhood, when I was 14. I was running in

the 100 metre sprint, representing the state. It had been easy to win the

school championships, then district and finally zone. I was one of three girls

running for Victoria. We had so much support back home.

I was racing against 9 other girls. My number was 6. There was no way I

could stuff it up. The gun went off and we ran. I ran harder than I had ever

run before in my life. I was so close to winning when it happened. I went

falling down with a crash, and I watched as everyone ran past me.

I was left there in the dust as the girl from Canberra took all the glory. I

clutched my ankle as pain shot through it and cried. Everything I worked for

had been taken away from me. All because of one fall.

That will not happen this time,’ I said to myself. The finish line was just

metres away from me. Then, I came crashing down. I landed on the ground

with a thud. The other girls ran past me and finished.

My trainer and mum came to help me up, but I pushed them away and

limped into the change rooms. My ankle was killing me, but that was

nothing compared to the pain of losing. All because of one fall.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:58 am
Areida wrote a review...

Hey chocoholic! This is the other piece you asked me to look at about eight thousand years ago, so my apologies for taking so long to get to it.

Now, about the whole falling a second time thing, when the stakes are so high... I'm just not sure. It seems too predictable. I think there should be a better reason for her to fall this time, otherwise it's like some kind of uber-bizarre freak accident, and for it to happen twice is a little unrealistic.

Generally, I think this makes a good short, but some of your phrasing and grammatical errors ruin the mood. I'll go with the opening paragraph to show you what I mean, and let you take it from there :):

I lined up with the other contestants. We were all determined to win, but there would only be one winner. Me. When the gun went off, I raced ahead. My arms and legs pumping, my breathing consistent and rhythmic. My eyes were purely focused on the finish line. There was no one in sight. The wild cheer of the crowd died down until I could only hear my thoughts.

‘Breath,’ I said to myself as I ran, ‘Push.’

My fix, changing as little as possible:

**
I lined up with the other contestants. Muscles taut, I edged my toe forward on the white line, looking left and then right at the others.

We all wanted to win.

Each of us desperately wanted this, was determined to have it, but there would only be one winner - me. I was going to win.

When the gun went off, my muscles exploded into action, and I flew ahead of the second, third, fourth, fifth-placers. Arms and legs pumping, breathing rhythmic, my eyes locked onto the finish line. The screams of the spectators faded and died, and I could hear only my thoughts:

Breathe. Push. Faster.

**

You seem to like snappy sentences, which are sometimes effective, but I think you went overkill here. Learn the joy of the dash and semicolon; they're wonderful. Once you've been converted, you'll never go back. ;) Plus variety in punctuation is always nice. It keeps you from falling into a rhythm as you're reading that gets tedious.

With a little work, this could be a delightful short story.

G'luck! :D

GingerLizzy wrote a review...

Contest reward review number two;

This was very clever, and so ironic! I'd absolutely hate if that happened to me, although I can say that I have never been in the lead at a school race; running just ins't my thang.

I think you jumped into the flashback a little too hard; like diving into a pool of ice cold water, it was a shock in the change of story and pace. Maybe you could ease the reader in a little, this would also add on a bit more length to the story too.

The couple of times that you say; "The gun went off", kind sounded awkward in the text. Maybe, "The gun exploded"? Or that, does actually sound dangerous. "The gun voiced the start of the race" maybe?

Other than that, it was pretty good, I liked the determination that the girl had.
GingerLove

:)

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:25 am
Insomnia wrote a review...

This was pretty good in spite of its length 9and probably because of it). A story like this may get a bit tired if you add in pages and pages of description!

‘Breath,’

Did you mean to say Breathe there? Either way. ;)

Keep on Running,’

Was there a reason for capitalising running there? If you have your reason, then fair enough. It's just a bit distracting.

I agree with Cassandra, somethign you could add is a little more emotion towards the end. You did ocnvey a lot with actions, but a few words or just a stray thoguht wouldn't hurt the story. If you can fit it in, try it. :)

Anyway, that's all I have. Good job on this. It was actually done quite well, considering the situation. The hsort sentances helped emphasise the urgency.

-Mat :D

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:36 am

This story was good but you should build up the tension more and add a little more description. Maybe describe the scenery that your character's running past. A nice piece of work though and just a few more suggestions...

I used all the energy I had in my body left to propel myself forward. I think this would sound better as I used all the energy I had left in my body to propel myself forward.

I glanced to the side. There was someone next to me.

Altogether some real potential here =)

Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:22 am
JC says...

The shortness worked for this story. I like how you incorporated the past, though I don't really like how the same thing happened twice, kinda repeditive and I saw it coming.

Other than that, not much here to crit. Keep up the good work!
-JC

Cassandra wrote a review...

First of all, nice work! You did a nice job working with such a small amount of words, and I liked that there weren't really any huge info dumps. It was short, sweet, and to the point.

'Breath,’ I said to myself as I ran, ‘Push.'

I don't think you need the quotation marks here if you've already got the words in italics, but I could be wrong. Also, I think you should change the comma after "ran" to a period. And "breath" should be "breathe".

I was still coming first

Maybe "I was still first" or "I was still in first"?

I think that you need a little more of your character's thought in the second to last paragraph. You know, when she's lying there after she's fallen, thinking about how she can't believe she did that again, etc. The ending would be that much stronger if we understood the character's let-down just a little more.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Nice work for something that didn't take you that long to write! :D

When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him.
— Euripides