z

Young Writers Society



I Will Return: Chapter 2

by charleslee


*Note: This used to be Chapter 1, in case anyone was confused.

Chapter 2: Moon Dance (updated 2/13)

Lights.

Hundreds of bulbs, popping with eager glow, filling the leaves with luminosity, like magic.

Faces.

Singing, clapping, filling the clearing with sound as they pranced in circles around a glowing orange fire in celebration. Songs of ancient years and rhymes of old; a frail lady strumming on a withered guitar. Men, women, sharing kisses, embracing, worshiping, grinning.

Sky.

The sun was setting, painting stark contrast with the tongues of flame licking the air, breathing on the people, whispering in Malachi’s ear as his lungs were filled with midsummer warmth.

Majestic oak trunks stretched from the ground to the clouds, shielding the view of the village beside the wood. If you shifted your gaze and shuffled your feet, you could see the lampposts lighting the town dimly in the heart of the sacred night.

The fiddle played, the guitar strummed, the people sang. Malachi stood to the side, watching and listening, loving the moment, but feeling entirely separated from it. The clearing was filled with men and women who spent their days in struggle, but took one day a year to celebrate the few blessings gracing their lives. The young women’s faces were brushed with the colors of their gods, and the poor young boys’ dirty faces were painted over with the marks of their people.

Ho! Hey! The people chanted. Hey! Ho! They raised their arms in the air, and passed down a line of radiant grins. The men spun the women round in circles and the women laughed. The acrobats challenged the minds of the scientists as they flew over the fire from strings suspended by the towering trees.

Only at the hearty rumble of the gong did the people drop their instruments, cease their dancing, and gather around the glow of the sputtering neon fire. Many held hands. A man held an infant in his arms and whispered gently in her ear. A white-haired woman held the hand of her stout husband, his face orange in the glare of the flame. Some pressed their palms together and locked fingers, others closed their eyes and sang from their heart, and some sat down and watched, listening to the ancient hymn of their people. Malachi sat against a thin tree as the families joined hands and began to sing.

Aida ma venti

Serendoa poe!

Quis vox luminé

Hiresh saa.

Some bowed and prayed; others embraced as the music slowly began to fill the air once again. The old woman pressed her wrinkled thumbs to the frets and strings and hummed songs from her heritage in languages of old.

Malachi hummed along to himself and walked slowly to the edge of the clearing, the way you’d walk in a bookshop, ever so sure to read each spine and take it all in. He felt tranced, like he’d been viewing the world through a different lens. The Moon Dance was more beautiful and extravagant than ever, but something was missing. There were more lights this year, but also more shadow. There were more faces, but even through their laughing and dancing, Malachi saw their sorrow.

“Mal!” called a familiar voice.

It was Trista, a girl his age from the village. “Hullo,” he said with a smile, accepting an awkward embrace as he tried to find the right words, assembling his thoughts as he pulled himself from a daze. “What brings you out here tonight?” he asked, feeling nothing less than stupid the second the words left his mouth.

“You must be joking, Mal! It’s Moon Dance!” She laughed.

Malachi shifted uncomfortably. His focus tracked back to the festival. Why did it seem so wrong to be here? “I suppose it is!” he joked.

Firmly, Trista grabbed his arm and pulled him towards the glow of the fire. “Enough of this, let’s go on and celebrate!”

“Celebrate...?” He seemed to have lost all track of his thoughts.

She laughed. “You’re too funny, Mal. It’s Moon Dance, have you forgotten?”

The echo of the hymn pulsed through the balmy summer air and vanished seconds later. A woman beside them held out her hands in silent meditation; young couples pressed muddy lips to their infant’s cheeks; school children danced, jesting and grinning, their hair tangled, their fingers swollen.

Malachi, regaining consciousness and now determined to recover from his embarrassing conversation with Trista, turned and extended a hand, breathing steadily, concentrating and pushing the uncertainty from his mind. Even in the warm air, his fingers felt cold with bitter anxiety. The music picked up: the fiddle, the ivory keys, the fanfaring horns. As they danced, their shadows played to the rhythm of the lights strung above their heads. Malachi felt his palms grow sweaty; Trista only grasped them tighter. She laughed as he spun her round under the arch of his arm and met her gaze again, tense. They took hands and grinned widely, but nervously, their sound drowned by the blaring trumpets. They danced in harmony with one another; neither he nor she played the melody—the calm of the fire conducted their imperfect step.

Malachi touched Trista’s hips, feeling her bone where it met her skin. She squeezed his shoulder and leaned into him. Malachi twitched, but let her rest her porcelain head on his chest. He wondered if they’d ever remember this day fondly, or if they’d someday part ways.

Trista’s face grew somber. “It’s sad, the Moon Dance. Always makes me feel sort of forgotten, you know?”

Malachi shuddered and opened his mouth, glad someone finally agreed with him, but no words came out. He simply nodded. They swayed to the music like lovers, imagining that they were, knowing they’d never be.

“Malachi!” creaked a voice.

It was Solomon, the village beggar and Malachi’s great-uncle, the only relative he’d ever known. Malachi broke from Trista’s grasp with a jolt, and came to face the man’s creased visage. He scratched his head.

“Uncle…” Malachi began awkwardly, forgetting once again where he was.

“Malachi, you had me worried!”

Distracted, Malachi looked to the side. Trista had gone now. He hoped she hadn’t been embarrassed to have been dancing romantically with the beggar’s nephew.

“Son, I haven’t seen you in a week! Maybe more!”

“I’m sorry, uncle, I-”

“Have been spending far too much time with that girl! You’re busy enough at Hawthorn’s tower every night and have no time for a woman!”

“Uncle, please-” Malachi glared. If only Malachi knew what he’d been through that week—midnight lessons almost every night in Hawthorn’s tower, followed by an hour’s walk back home. He’d barely even seen Trista.

Solomon’s angry eyes were bulging from his head like a horse fly. “Do you realize how much I’ve done for you, boy? I’m ninety-seven years old, I could drop dead any day! And you don’t have the heart to say hello to your uncle, even at the biggest festival of the year. You should be ashamed of yourself, you foolish, witless, harebrained…”

UNCLE!”

Solomon scoffed and shook his head. “I just don’t understand you young folk anymore. You hang around with rabble like that old hag Hawthorn, and before you know it you become an ungrateful piece of horse dung and—”

“He chose me, uncle. It’s not like I had much of a choice. He’s the most powerful man in Vagor.” Malachi was shaking.

“Most powerful man in Vagor, eh?” He paused. “Tell me one worthwhile thing that dotard is teaching you, boy. One thing, and I’ll shut up.”

Malachi clenched his fists.

“Nothin’ come to mind, eh? In fact, where is he? I’d like to have a word with the old hag myself.” Hands on his hips, Solomon scanned the crowd suspiciously.

Malachi froze, realizing he hadn’t seen Hawthorn all night. The Moon Dance had always been his favorite night of the year—since Malachi was only seven years old and named the Protector’s apprentice, they’d always spent it together. It was part of the Protector’s job to prepare the festival, after all. The string players, the acrobats the old woman on the guitar—they’d all been hired by Hawthorn for the occasion, brought in from the city. Malachi darted from Solomon’s gaze and searched the scene for the man he both feared and loved. What was that he’d said earlier? I’m sure you’ll see me around. Certainly he would have run into him by now—the moon was bright and clear, it was certainly late into the night.

At the sight of the Protector’s apprentice dashing around, knocking things into the fire, the people realized whom he must have been searching for.

“Where is that old wizard?”

“Better off without him, he scares the children, gave little Eva nightmares…”

“Makes me uncomfortable, that man. Very suspicious…”

“Sketchy business, magic. Wouldn’t want to get messed up with it.”

Hawthorn’s lean, lanky body was usually easy to spot even in the darkness, but he was nowhere to be found. Solomon yelled from behind: “Boy, I’m not done with you just yet! Come back here!”

Malachi ran off towards Hawthorn’s tower, his heart racing, the world spinning. There was a grimness in the air that told him that Hawthorn meant to attend the festival. Something was terribly wrong.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
264 Reviews


Points: 23295
Reviews: 264

Donate
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:26 pm
Megrim wrote a review...



Hello, and on to chapter 1! It makes for a good introduction, not only giving atmosphere and worldbuilding, but introducing a thread of tension and a promise of the main plot.

I don't think it's far enough in space or time from the prologue. We're still in the same town, and still in the same week. So really the prologue is a chapter one. Unfortunately it's not really be the best chapter one, because it's more of a vignette than a scene--we see a "slice of life" with his training, but other than that there's no other major goal or conflict. I'm trying to imagine if you cut it completely, and that might not be too bad. The only thing I'd miss is having actually met Hawthorn, so there's a face to the name. Maybe if you spiced up the Hawthorn scene to have more meat to it (plotwise/conflictwise), then that would work.

As for this chapter, my initial impression was, wow, lovely, very nice! But I think you went overboard with the festival descriptions haha. A little goes a long way when it comes to descriptions. Once we got to the paragraph where Malachi breathes in the summer warmth, I was pretty happy with the amount we'd had and ready to move on. But the descriptions of the festival kept going and going. Some of those lists are really long, too--I think you could cut out a few of the examples in each one. Especially since the descriptions of the festival continue in between all of Malachi's paragraphs. There's the bonfire part, with lots more very similar descriptions there. Try to only say things once. When you're reiterating things that are similar to what you already described, it doesn't add as much as using those words for plot or character instead.

Speaking of character, I didn't understand Malachi's headspace in this one. At first, he seems relaxed and humming. Then he feels wrong for an unknown reason. Then spacey and absent. Then embarrassed, romantic, stressed, and worried. It's kinda all over the place for me. I'd like to feel just a couple of those more strongly, such as a solid sense of "something is not right" all the way through. I did find it odd that it took him so long to realize Hawthorn was missing, considering it's such a tradition for them to spend it together. It would be almost automatic for him to show up, go find Hawthorn, and then do the stuff they always do, right?

Trista. Slight problem here is that I thought she was a little kid. A little girl belonging to a family that was there celebrating, who knew and was friendly with Malachi. (I actually really liked that because it's cute, and different). So when he put his hand on her hip I was like uhhhhh, I think I got this wrong didn't I. And yup, it turned into just "the love interest," which is *shrug.* I totally vote for her being a little kid that adores him, but that probably messes up your plot. At any rate, definitely establish that she's more mature right off the bat. The way she speaks and acts is what threw me.

The uncle is absolutely hilarious. I love the insults he throws at Malachi.

See you in the next chapter soon! Happy writing.




User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:07 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hey charles! Here again after a long time.

If you look at it from the big picture, I believe I can already sniff out the hook of the story? There's some unease here for Malachi amidst the festivities. It got me pretty interested here. What bad thing did happen to Hawthorn? I'm curious and because of that I do want to check out chapter 2.1 as soon as I can. That sense of unease started around the middle, as soon as Malachi was described as feeling as though something wasn't right...but was unable to place it. That gave it some tension and for me, something intriguing to keep me reading on.

But I also think that other than Hawthorn missing and Malachi's vague worry, the feel that something was truly off didn't permeate the Moon Dance. I would have liked to see that unease sinking deeper into the festivities, showing me more of the tension and the atmosphere that feels unfamiliar and...worrying. While Malachi's growing panic did want to keep me reading, I also felt as though it'd even amp the tension more if you hinted at the wrongness in the festivities and not only in the air and Malachi. After all, I can imagine that if Malachi feel something is not right here, he'd be seeing those signs from place to place? And in my opinion, the description of the festivities feel as though there is nothing malicious lurking about. The lack of it underwhelmed the panic building on top of it later on.

So Trista, the love interest! c: It was interesting to see how they were awkwardly chatting at the beginning, but during the dance, it did show more of what lovers would do? The 'lovers' line felt interesting, as though this romance normally is not going to happen, will never become anything more other than this Moon Dance. And yet again, I do want to later understand why Trista and Malachi can never be together. Not now, spilling it all out wouldn't be as effective to me as letting me understand why and the consequences of following their romance and stuff, once I grow more and more invested in the characters. I'm guessing it's because Malachi is Hawthorn's apprentice. Maybe that romance which should be fade away later would make good kindling for tension? /ramble.

I'm guessing what Solomon says, or the "I did so much for you and what you're paying back with? Ignoring me!" act, will incur some guilt in Malachi. It would be nice to see, along with the helpless responses to Solomon's rant, some body language and thoughts that coincide with Malachi's conscience? Later on, I think I'm curious to see Malachi and Solomon's relationship unfold. Whether Solomon is always saying things that could make Malachi feel bad or if it's not always that way.

Anyway, this was a read I enjoyed quite a bit! Hope my review helps a little, and do remember that what I say are mere opinions and suggestions, and not Ultimatums! Looking forward to chapter 2.1 :)

-Ink




charleslee says...


Hey, thanks so much for the review! I've been taking a break from writing because life has been pretty busy, but I'm starting to get some inspiration again and logged back on YWS to find your review! :) Your comment on the Moon Dance made sense--I meant to show that Malachi is the only one troubled at the dance and everyone else is celebrating as usual. He is the only one who realizes something is wrong, hence why everything else seems normal.

Anyway, thanks for all your comments. I'm glad you've enjoyed it and hope you'll keep reading! Looking to update 2.2 in the next few days.



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 115
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:52 pm
View Likes
Slobst wrote a review...



Hey there. Welcome to YWS! I'm Slobst and I'm a pretty new (returning) member as well :D

But before I start I must actually say that I think you're a really good writer. I've found in my own writing that I generally SUCK at describing the setting and using flowery language (hence my move to screenwriting) but you seem to have it really down. Well done

But here are my two cents anyway:

eager glow and illumination , filling the leaves with luminosity

I think this sentence really jumped out at me because there are THREE mentions of light which seems a bit excessive especially seeing as all of these words basically mean the same thing


Dancing , clapping, singing, filling the clearing with sound as they pranced in circles around a glowing orange fire in celebration. Songs of ancient years and rhymes of old; a frail lady strumming on a withered guitar. Men, women, sharing kisses, embracing, worshiping, grinning.


This paragraph does a really good job at expressing that a lot is happening at this dance. However, once again, Dancing and Pranced are kind of the same thing. Maybe delete the "dancing" in this case as it also doesn't make sense how dancing could fill the clearing with sound as much as clapping and singing would (stomping or something similar might be a nice replacement)


The fiddle played, the guitar strummed, the people sang. The piano player’s face was painted with the marks of his gods. The young women’s faces were brushed with the colors of their people. The poor young boys’ faces were smudged with the dirt of a day's work.


There's something about this paragraph which feels weird to me. Firstly, it's already been established that there is a guitar and that people are singing. But secondarily, I think there is a better way to explain the paint on all of the different people's faces. I think it feels a bit weird that they're all different sentences. Maybe think about cutting that into a long sentence to keep the flow??

But generally a really good intro. You set the scene really nicely and I really appreciate that

However, I know @BiscuitsLeGuin brought this up already but I'm not sure where your main character is in all of this action. What does he think about everything. Does he join in or does he look down on the others? It's an interesting opportunity to tell us a bit about him and it just feels weird that you're describing a massive scene and then suddenly Malachi pops up.

Mal!” said a voice.


Try not to use the word "said". It'll be cool to know how she called for him. Was the voice demanding or loving? Anything. How she calls for him gives us a small indication on her as a character and their relationship

“Malachi!” creaked a voice.

Just like this!


“You must be joking, Mal! It’s Moon Dance!” She was confident and strong in her words, and smiled through each one.

Malachi shifted around uncomfortably. “I suppose it is!” He tried to make a joke of his remark.

“Enough of this, let’s go on and celebrate!”

“Celebrate what?”

She laughed. “You’re too funny, Mal. Moon Dance of course!”


Very. Very. Awkward. Why is Malachi so out of it? Or is he just trying to avoid celebrating with her? I can't believe after the scene you've described that somebody wouldn't know what is going on.


The echo of the hymn pulsed through the balmy summer air and vanished. A woman beside him held out her hands in silent meditation; young couples pressed muddy lips to their infant’s cheeks; school children danced, jesting and grinning, their hair tangled, their fingers swollen.


This paragraph is very well written too but it feels weirdly placed in the middle of the conversation and it doesn't really seem to affect anything.

They swayed to the music like lovers, imagining that they were, knowing they’d never be.


No problems here just wanted to say that I REALLY like this line. In fact the whole bit where they're dancing is very well written. The rest remains very good until we get to...


“Do you realize I’m going to die soon? And you don’t have the heart to wish your uncle goodbye. You should be ashamed of yourself, you foolish, witless, harebrained…”

“UNCLE!”

Solomon scoffed and shook his head. “How are your classes going, boy? Has that old nutcase been teaching you anything worthwhile?”

Malachi clenched his fists.

“In fact, where is he? I’m tired of him taking you away every night and not even paying me a measly visit.” Hands on his hips, Solomon eyed the crowd suspiciously.


Nobody ever would say so bluntly that they're dying. I reckon the whole "don't you want to say goodbye to me" is way better than straight up saying he's dying as it serves as a nice way to foreshadow when he does die and it sounds more believable.

Second note here is that it feels a bit unbelievable that after that super heavy conversation that Solomon would just randomly start talking about how class is going. There needs to be some reason why Solomon would mention it.


The rest of the piece is well written. I saw you said in the comments that you had updated the ending and I think that the sense of panic seems valid. Well done

Overall, I really liked this piece and I think you have a really good knack at describing and setting the scene but I think your dialogue could use a bit of work.

See ya :D
Hopefully you find at least some of this useful




charleslee says...


Hey, thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for all the kind words. Will be sure to check out some of your work.

I really liked what you had to say and wanted to ask about a couple things, hope you don't mind!

I meant for Malachi's dazedness to foreshadow the fact that Hawthorn is gone. Since neither of you caught on, I'm definitely going to change this up. I thought about adding in something about how he feels like this Moon Dance is different than other years, that something is missing. Do you think it would be better to go with that or to try to improve the bit foreshadowing I did include?

As far as the bit about Solomon, I wanted him to seem like a bit of a lunatic which is why I didn't feel uncomfortable having him say sort of stupid things. But reading over again, I think it makes sense to touch that up. Do you think it would make more sense to exaggerate the fact that he's a lunatic more or just add in a little bit more of "cooling down" before he asks about the classes?

Thanks again for the review, if you could let me know about a few of these questions whenever you get a chance I'd really appreciate it!



Slobst says...


Hey. I'm happy I was able to help and I'll be happy to answer questions

1. I reckon the feeling that this Moon Dance feels different sounds really interesting to me. The thought could even be there from the beginning of the piece which could contrast the descriptions of the moon dance

And for the second question I'm not sure. It's your story. I think I'm leaning more towards a drunkard lunatic uncle kind of vibe but really it's up to you



charleslee says...


Thank you! Will be working on that



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:49 am
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hi again! Let's get started on the story proper then shall we :)

Nit-picks:

The piano players’ face was painted with the marks of his gods.

This is the possibly the most inane nit-pick I've ever done, but you don't have many, so I figured it's not like I'm spamming you. The apostrophe should go before the s.

smudged with the dirt of a day's’ work.

Ironically a stray apostrophe after an s again xD

Malachi hummed along to himself and walked slowly to the edge of the clearing, the way you’d walk in a bookshop, ever so sure to read each spine and take it all in.

This sentence itself is actually really nice, but I think this is just a bit too late for your main character to pop up. It would be fine to quickly mention him then go back to describing the things he sees, but the start of this chapter just feels a bit too prologue-y.

Overall:

The relationship between Malachi and Trista is a little confusing. She's introduced as a girl from his school, which makes it sound like she's an acquaintance he doesn't know that well, even if he would like to know her a little better. And their conversation is awkward in a way that seemed like the initial flirting of a relationship, which added to this idea in my head. I realise it could also be awkwardness because it sounds like they will be parting soon, but since I already had awkward schoolkid-crush in my head, this was where my brain went. So when they started dancing like that, and getting very intense about how deeply they would miss each other, it was very jarring and I had to reconsider how I imagined this relationship.

Solomon is a very convincing character. You've written guilt-tripping very well, will be intrigued to see where that relationship goes.

I think you've just about convinced me that this festival is important enough that it's weird Hawthorn isn't there, but I don't think I quite buy Malachi's panic. It's weird, sure, but is it weird enough that it's definitely something very bad that's happened? I think it would be more believable if Malachi became curious, with a little bit of worry, then when he got to the tower saw signs that made him believe it is really big, since I assume it is something bad that has happened.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




charleslee says...


Thank you again for the help! And I'm glad you mentioned the bit about Trista being from school because I meant to take that part out! Do you think simply removing that sentence and adding in a few bits about Mal feeling sort of uncomfortable would clarify the relationship? Also, I guess I wanted to make it seem like this whole romantic thing was kind of out of the ordinary for the two of them, like this is just happening because the dance is an emotional occasion and they like each other.

I definitely get what you said about Hawthorn and will try to change that up a bit. It is meant to be a big deal, but I guess the change in attitude is sort of sudden. And thank you for your comment on Solomon! :) Seeing as this is my second day using this site, I wasn't sure if people typically just revise their stories directly on the original and then update or if they post a separate revision. I made some minor revisions to the prologue but will be making more major changes soon and wasn't sure how to go about it. Do you think you could help me out? Thanks. -C



ExOmelas says...


Oh I didn't realise you were new - welcome! Usually people update their existing versions. Since it would be difficult to write a whole new review on a second published version, that version would probably be stuck in the green room for ages, which wouldn't be great.

I think that might work about the relationship. If you want to change it the way you had in mind I'd be happy to take a look and reply in this thread ^.^



charleslee says...


Thanks! That makes sense. And I will definitely let you know when I've updated. -C



charleslee says...


Made a couple of revisions, but not a whole lot. I really have a hard time making big changes all at once but know it's all for the better! Could you let me know when you can if you think they were sufficient in addressing your comments? (specifically about the whole situation with Hawthorn you mentioned) Thanks.




cron
If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber