Rebirth Chapter 4

by cat4prowl

Woodruff High School runs in a block schedule, which means we have eight classes but only four a day. One day I have Periods 1-4, the next 5-8. It was a 5-8 day. And the crumbly old bus driver I mentioned earlier made us late. At the time this really annoyed me, I mean the guy’s had his job about twenty years he should know the route by now, but looking back I’m thinking there was something else going on in his life. And I feel bad for the old guy, because we all complained the whole way.

But you know what the funny thing was? Everyone I saw at least rolled their eyes or, more often, made their dissatisfaction verbally known. Everyone including me. Everyone, that is, except for Gunner.

I can’t figure it out.

The biggest jerk I’ve ever known in my entire life was the only one with enough decency to give the guy a break. Now I as well as you would love to think that he’d seen the error of his ways and was now a new man but we all know that’s impossible. The best I can come up with to explain this odd behavior is that he was hoping to snag one of the girls on the bus. Good strategy, really, what typical high school girl wouldn’t want a gorgeous, sensitive guy?

I, of course, knew he was faking. Up to something. I was instantly on alert. Jumped from analyzing his face to his feet. Watched his hands, listened to conversations around him. Nothing to give it away. No hot girls in sight.

Instant suspicion trigger. Gunner was switching up his game today, trying to catch me by surprise. I wondered if maybe he was as concentrated on this war of ours as I was. A little pathetic, put that way, me totally obsessed with beating Gunner. But I needed it, needed it bad.

When I arrived in first period American Government, late, Mr. Parker gave me a dismissive scowl and pointed to an open seat. Mr. Parker is old and in love with the idea that America’s Government is somehow trying to screw us all over.

Let me interrupt myself with a bit of an explanation- this all happened a long, long time ago- this chapter. I’m only touching on the things I remember specifically, and you’ll see why soon. So I apologize for it being a bit vague. The things that stuck out to me made it into this. I remembered specifically that Mr. Parker was annoying me that day, that I was idly toying with my pencil, looking at the ceiling, and thinking of ways I could ambush Gunner when I next had a class with him.

Our similar schedule gave us the opportunity for much ambushing, and I thoroughly looked forward to it. Nothing like a victory to make your day seem conquered. (Said Napoleon, haha)

“Ms. Wolfe!”

I was shaken from this satisfying mental image to see Mr. Parker glaring down at me- which was a less-than-satisfying image and the only thing mental about it was the way his eyes were bugging out of his head.

In my hurry to answer, I got my words mixed up,” Ms. Par- Mr. Parker?” The class laughed, still happy with me because I’d been in a fight. The remnants of that status-hyper still clung to me. It felt good, I remember, very good.

He chose to ignore that last one, “What was the last thing I said?”

We both knew I had no idea. Taking a chance, I answered, “Ms. Wolfe.”

Why is it teachers do that when everyone knows you haven’t been paying attention? Simply to get that cruel joy from seeing us humiliated? Or are they really just trying to put us in our place, prepare us for life. Sometimes it seems much more the former, especially with an irritable teacher like Mr. Parker.

I remember the class laughed again.

And then I earned the detention I never went to.

The next moment I remember is PE and the instant I saw Gunner. Sometimes I think it’s no wonder certain races dislike each other when it’s ingrained in them since birth, because when I see Jamie Gunner, I don’t see the good-natured athlete who’s handsome and sensitive to boot, I see an enemy. And I think I know, somewhere, the reason is simply just because that day in kindergarten, I stamped JERK across his forehead and have been treating him accordingly ever since.

But, then, if I’m wrong- why is this good-natured, hot, sensitive athlete getting in a fistfight with a girl he’s known since kindergarten? Why is he as engaged in our vendetta as I am? Gunner, to me, represents a big lie. He is the dark spot behind every person- the one they hide away from the world.

Underneath his flawless façade lurks a coldhearted boy who is so desperate to feel something real that he resorts to anger and violence. At least, that’s my theory.

But I digress-- Gunner is an odd sight in PE, let me tell you, because he’s out of his signature look. He tends to wear black or white dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up and the top two buttons undone, along with dark jeans. It’s very classy but casual, with his hair sticking up like he just rolled out of bed- something my… friend Melissa (yes, from kindergarten) likes to gush on and on about. But in PE, he wears long basketball shorts and sleeveless shirts.

Melissa and I were walking into the gym, and as soon as I located Gunner, I locked him with my angry eyes. I know it doesn’t sound intimidating, but I’ve inherited my laser ice eyes from my mom. It’s a glare you have to practice. I saw the familiar flame flicker in his expression before he rose to the occasion with a magnificent snarl of his own.

“Who are you trying to kill with your eyes? Oh,” Melissa interrupted our visual battle, and I turned reluctantly.

Today, Melissa’s gym clothes involved an eye-popping pink t shirt which showed off her figure eight body and short cheerleading shorts with the word Delicious across the butt. It’s an embarrassment to know her sometimes. She’s followed me around since kindergarten, trying to get some of my personality to rub off on her- or something.

See- even though I chose to wear a black t-shirt and red soccer shorts to PE with my hair in a practical ponytail, I’d be the one a guy might stop to talk to. I know it, I can’t say I’m too crazy about it, but there it is. I’m not going to feign ignorance under the pretense of being modest.

But anyways, I think my answer to Melissa went something like this, “Why on Earth would you even ask?”

She seemed surprised, I was usually a little less sarcastic with her but I was in a bad mood, “Excuse me for hoping you made up with Jamie.”

“There’s a difference between hope and stupidity.” But not a big one, was what I was thinking.

“I’d ask what’s eating you, but I assume it’s Jamie,” Melissa went on, shifting her weight to the other foot as we waited for class to begin.

I was about to make a sharp remark, wanting her to butt out, but the hopeful look on her face stopped me, “Yeah- it’s harder now that I’ve beat him up.”

“I don’t know- he might have beat you.”

“Like you would know.”

“Hey, I saw-“

“Hello.”

I turned swiftly as the familiar voice entered the conversation. Gunner had always been the one to provoke, and I usually overreacted and started something. I knew as soon as I turned the expression on his face would be smooth and unreadable.

“Gunner, did you need something?” I turned, keeping my voice carefully calm. At this point, Melissa was gasping and staring like an oversized fish. I, however, had my game face on.

Jamie’s handsome face contorted into an angry squint as he answered, “Not from you. I was talking to your friend.”

I think Melissa may have had a heart attack at that moment, she seemed to have blanked completely. Sensing I would have to wait this one out, I turned impassive and leaned back. Finally, after a bit of stuttering, Melissa managed to squeak, “Y-yes?”

He answered in his smooth, deceptive voice with just the right amount of pleasant rasping and an underlying baritone, “Will you hand me that?” He gestured to the last basketball lying in a bag behind us.

With utmost clumsiness, Melissa bent, retrieved the ball, and held it out for him. Just as he reached for it, she fumbled the ball. In her attempt to catch it, and his reflexes, their hands ended up together under said basketball. Melissa’s eyes turned huge.

To my complete confusion, it was Gunner who blushed first. Though my head was still utterly fascinated by this oddly pleasing sight, my first instinct was to act on this moment of weakness, so I shot out my hand and snatched up the basketball. One handedly, I drew back and sent it flying straight at Gunner’s chest. I had been aiming for his head but that worked too.

The sound the ball made as it connected with his solid form was like the cracking of a rock and it echoed throughout the gym. My smile may have been a bit crazed.

I wasn’t prepared for Gunner’s reaction. Usually he tries to be cool, calm, and collected. Today, he came striding forward immediately, his head down in a very aggressive position. I thought he was going to run right through me, but stood my ground. He stopped just inches from my face, his fists clenched and held backwards as if he were restraining himself. His voice was low and scathing when he spoke, “You think that’s funny, Wolfe? You think you’re tough now? You’re not. You’ve just proved to everyone here how immature and pathetic you really are. Don’t-“

I cut him off, going for a very quiet, mocking tone, “How does it feel being so violent you nearly gave someone a concussion? I must say I feel sorry for your dad- he can’t have done anything to deserve such an abusive delinquent for a son.”

His breathing was heavy now, and very feral. So close, I saw his eyes widen with rage and… pain? He moved forward suddenly, arm raised to hit me, face contorted in an effort to stop himself. The muscles in his neck and shoulders stood out threateningly. I leaned forward so that our noses nearly touched, “My, my, Gunner. Such a temper.”

We were at a standoff, our hackles raised and a snarl on our faces. I smiled, injecting as much venom as I could into that expression. His voice was quieter, hoarser than I’d ever heard before, “I hate you, Casper Wolfe.”

I’ll admit I was stunned. In all my life I’ve never heard such profound anger in those three words. He was telling the truth. I stared right back into his clear blue eyes, watching him convulse with anger- his whole frame literally shaking. I was thinking descriptions, words to sum up what Jamie was like right then: torture, agony, satanic, inferno. At that moment, reflecting on what he’d said, I whispered back with just as much hatred infused in my voice, “Do you really, Jamie Gunner? But what would you be without me?”

The PE teacher came and forced us apart. I locked eyes with Gunner until Melissa spoke. I didn’t hear a word of what she said.

PE that day ended up being free time, because I soon found it was a Minimum Day. And that’s all I remember of my school day. But I’ll never forget what happened afterward. Mom picked me up from school- she said I could drive the car. I do that a lot since I don’t have my own.

The car door wouldn’t open. I seized the handle and wrenched it outward again and again. I pounded the door with frustration. Mom was looking at me strangely. She gestured to the lock. I unlocked the car and tried opening the door again. It worked.

Her car smelled of leather and mango, the steering wheel was cool to the touch. I put the key in the ignition, turned it. The car yowled angrily to life. Through the windshield the school was blue-tinted. I looked over my shoulder.

Mom began talking, apologizing and lecturing and probing. I was in a bad mood. I can’t remember why. We drove. The ride was smooth and humming, charged with emotion. My hands gripped the steering wheel tightly. I kept looking at my watch.

And then everything happened in a series of seconds.

One. Gunner cut us off at intersection. I blinked into a mask of rage.

Two. My foot jammed the gas and swerved to follow him.

Three. I heard a horn honk. The long, deep kind like a…

Truck.

Four. I looked out my left window and into the headlights.

Five. Pain lanced through my head. Blood rose up against my lips and came spewing out my mouth and nose.

Six. There was pain and darkness. I knew no more.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:47 pm
cat4prowl says...

Hey, anyone who wants to read the rest of this! The whole reason it hasn't been posted on is the computer it was stored on got attacked by killer pop (soda). *not my fault :P*

So! I haven't been able to work on it a long time because I was about four chapters ahead of this one. We might be able to retrieve it sometime soon,so all is not lost. I've been meaning to update you all on this but I kept forgetting.

That's all folks!
-cat4prowl

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:01 pm
gsppcrocks10 wrote a review...

Dude, this is awesome! Cliffhanger = love it! You described things perfectly. I got really nervous and excited in pretty much everything, especially the big fight. As I think you wanted. (then again, I get very excited while reading). All-in-all, I love it! Please PM me when the next part is out.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:54 pm
MiriamHannah says...

Can I say how much I agree with Emma Jane, please, please, please post the next chapter, even if its only in first draft.

PM me when you do.

Miriam

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:41 pm
EmmaJane says...

Okay, it's really painful being left on such a cliffhanger. Please say you'll post the next chapter soon.
:D

Pippiedooda wrote a review...

Wow :shock: Really, really brilliant chapter! :D Sorry I haven't reviewed the other pieces, I didn't see them up but I've just read through them all and caught up :) There doesn't seem to be much that could be changed here at all, I'll have a look anyway though!

At the time this really annoyed me, I mean the guy’s had his job about twenty years he should know the route by now, but looking back I’m thinking there was something else going on in his life.

To me this seemed like a kind of odd thing to presume. If the bus driver lost his way I’d maybe think he were having an off day not that there was something wrong in his life, maybe that would fit better here :P

I can’t figure it out.

As you are talking about her in the past it might sound better to say ‘couldn’t’ instead of ‘can’t’, although can’t does work if you are talking about her opinion now, I think it would be more effective if she were wondering this at that time :) (sorry if that didn’t make much sense!)

Mr. Parker gave me a dismissive scowl and pointed to an open seat.

I’m not sure about ‘open seat’, maybe unoccupied or free would be better?

The class laughed, still happy with me because I’d been in a fight. The remnants of that status-hyper still clung to me.

I think you could say something better than the class being happy with her, perhaps admiring her would be more appropriate. I’d also maybe leave out or replace one of the ‘still’ here so they are not used so close to one another :)

I wouldn’t really say 'that last one' as it is the only thing she has said, it might sound better to just end it at ‘that’.

I’d add a question mark after ‘prepare us for life’ and just a suggestion but maybe this would be better after ‘what was the last thing I said?’ and before her reply?

something my… friend Melissa (yes, from kindergarten)

I’m not sure about the … here, I don’t really know what the effect is used for, sorry :oops: I think the sentence might read better without it :)

I was about to make a sharp remark, wanting her to butt out, but the hopeful look on her face stopped me,

Why does she look hopeful? I don’t know if this is the best word to use to describe her expression, maybe she looks sympathetic or concerned or just has an open or caring face to make Casper want to confide in her.

I turned swiftly as the familiar voice entered the conversation

I knew as soon as I turned the expression on his face would be smooth and unreadable.

I turned, keeping my voice carefully calm

You use ‘turned’ a few times but it is all showing the same movement, I’d suggest keeping the first but changing ‘turned’ in the second sentence to something else like ‘looked round’ and just leave out about turning in the third as she is already facing him. Although with the second one you say she would know how she looked as soon as she turned around- but obviously she would as she would be looking at him at that point :P Maybe saying something about knowing even before she saw him and I’d maybe have ‘the expression’ as ‘that the expression’.

his head down in a very aggressive position.

I’m not sure about ‘position’ although that could just be me, maybe ‘stance’ would work better?

PE that day ended up being free time, because I soon found it was a Minimum Day.

So did they not have PE at all? Surely other people would know about that already and they wouldn’t have bothered getting changed? I think it might be more realistic to say that PE was cut short because of a minimum day, perhaps skimming over what followed by saying she was too focused on Jamie.

I was in a bad mood. I can’t remember why.

I thought it was the same day so wouldn’t she already know why she was in a bad mood because of her conflict with Jamie? Or is she more affected by this than usual? If so I’d add that in somewhere :)

Overall: I loved this, the ending was amazing! :D I really hope you post more soon! Sorry I didn’t review the others, I sometimes miss when the next chapters are up :oops:

I think your description is brilliant and so is the emotion that you describe throughout the piece, all that I can see that could be changed a little would be including Melissa when Jamie and Casper are having the argument. Perhaps she could pipe up a little to ask them to cool it or maybe Casper is just vaguely aware of her beside her with her mouth hanging open? I’d just maybe add a little bit of detail to show she is still there :) I think you could also include the rest of the class staring at them or gasping or falling silent or something like that so the reader can really picture the scene.

That's all I think could be improved! I really enjoyed the style of writing throughout this piece, I think it works very well in showing Casper’s point of view :D All my comments are just suggestions, hope I’ve helped! *star*

diaNe cHavez wrote a review...

Amazing! Truly Amazing! :D
My name's Diane, by the way!

Your writing is a-ma-zing! I love it! I was completely distracted by the story line that I didn't really even check for mistakes, really, you are an amazing writer!

Some things though:

*spell out numbers like 1, 2, whatever.
*use feelings in the descriptions more often i.e. the thing about the truck, what was she feeling when it hit her, not physically, but mentally
*sometimes you needed commas or some other convention in the sentence
*some words could have used italics to add emphasis

Other than a few errors, this piece was perfect. :) Really, the cliff hanger at the end just mystified me! I love your descriptions, they are very thorough and the way you defined the characters is great! They really have their own personal personality that was just like explosive! I loved the story, I would have reviewed the other chapters, but I thought it would be better to just tell you in this one. They are all great. :P I found no big errors in any of them and they are just amazing. I've said that word so many times in this review, but only because it's true. I hope you post more of this soon! I can't wait to read what happens next! :D
diaNe :D

MiriamHannah wrote a review...

Hi, this is such a great story (I think I'm addicted to reading it) I would say use words instead of numbers the whole '1-4' and '5-8' would sound much better as 'one to four', etc...

You description is really good but at points like the gym hall i didn't know what they were doing, I'm assuming you don't stand around talking in lessons, maybe add 'melissa spoke firmly while hurling a ball my way.' 'I wheezed, attempting not to show how much the running was tiring me.' ok not very good examples but you get my drift.

Your characters are well defined. You have explained it very well, melissa has also been added easily in, you accept her immediately into the plot. However, yes you know how she dresses but eye/hair color, she doesn't speak in any particularly different style. Plus all of the characters are too set into their roles. If i were you i would add in a few quirks, start hinting at them now just so your reader has something to laugh about and associate with your character. When you don't remember character names you will remember their flaws.

I really liked the ending of the chapter, not what I was expecting, you do take a while to get into the car, I would try to concentrate that more and also maybe make it

'I seized the handle and wrenched it outward again and again. When the refused to open I pounded it hard, frustration welling inside me. Mom looked at me strangely, gesturing towards the lock. I unlocked the car and tried opening the door again. It worked.'

This is just a suggestion. I just found it hard to get my tongue around all of the words. The short constant sentences got a little tedious and changing some of the sentence structures can always be helpful. A lot of the time everyone will write down an idea differently, it just depends how you think it.

Please pm me with more, I am really loving the story line!

Miriam

EmmaJane wrote a review...

Hey!

The cliffhanger at the end - wow!

Truck.

Very nicely done. I love how you've separated "truck" therefore drawing our attention to it and the absolute horror that one word can inspire if you're an unlucky motorist.

I didn't get what you meant by the timetable at the start, maybe you could explain it better or something? Oh and I hope you'll elaborate on what was wrong with the bus-driver and why Gunner kept quiet, 'cause I'm curious, lol.

I didn't notice any grammar mistakes or odd spellings, but I'm never any good at that sort of thing.

I'm not sure about the
If she got hit by the truck wouldn't she say at least one thing about the impact?? Unless the headlights was your way of describing it. I don't know.

Wait!
In her attempt to catch it, and his reflexes, their hands ended up together under said basketball.
Under said?? huh? I don't get what you mean by that.

...short cheerleading shorts with the word Delicious across the butt.

Ha ha. I just wanted to point it out 'cause it made me laugh =]

Overall: Amazing. You kept my attention the whole way through. I had to read it to the end! :D And the ending, lets just say I can't wait for the next chapter. PM me when it's up.

~EmmaJane ~

Dark Eyed Pixie wrote a review...

Hiya,
Right, review time!

Now I as well as you would love to think that he’d seen the error of his ways and was now a new man but we all know that’s impossible.

I think the wording of this is a little awkward, maybe you could try saying it another way.

Today, Melissa’s gym clothes involved an eye-popping pink t shirt which showed off her figure eight body and short cheerleading shorts with the word Delicious across the butt.

I don't like this part, but that might just be me. Is there any other way you could describe her figure?

I didn't find any spelling or punctuation mistakes, so well done! That was a good chapter.
xxxx

If you steal property, you must report its fair market value...
— John Oliver