z

Young Writers Society



Fire

by cat4prowl


AN: Something short I was playing around with for the On Fire Contest.

-------------------------------------

A fine line drawn by a singed string.

Life, death; strange that two such different things should embrace,

press feverishly together, tangoing in a battle for survival.

Constantly licking at the surface of the other like dancing embers,

leaving burns, scars, that forever haunt the limbo.

Life-giving death and death-giving life reflected in the affray of light.

Scraps of fur that flee before the rampage of a clashed monster,

only to be enveloped in the death.

Descendents blessed with the side affects of the rampage,

the life that comes to soothe the death.

The balance of rage, the anger of life.

------------------

Opinions wanted!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 1044
Reviews: 28

Donate
Fri May 16, 2008 7:21 pm
.:Echelon:. says...



You know I have never thought of fire in this way. Thank you for the visionary. I really really like this.




User avatar
196 Reviews


Points: 3098
Reviews: 196

Donate
Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:16 am
OverEasy wrote a review...



I love this!

A few lines that really stuck out in a good way.


Life-giving death and death-giving life reflected in the affray of light.

Descendents blessed with the side affects of the rampage,

press feverishly together, tangoing in a battle for survival.



Love these, the slightly subtle yet in your face description is captivating.

Keep up the good work!




User avatar
135 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 135

Donate
Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:07 am
cat4prowl says...



thank you everyone! i switched it to kind of a free-verse poem... I don't like poetry so uhh tell me what I did wrong?

Oh, and if someone wants to move this to a different section, fine by me.




User avatar
287 Reviews


Points: 1650
Reviews: 287

Donate
Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 pm
Maki-Chan says...



well written, the words are so lovely put togther, but its way too short!




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:34 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



Hey there! Hope you don't mind the slight edit to your post but please try to avoid using full caps, particularly in the literature section of the site.

I think this is well written but much too short for a piece of fiction. It would, however, work well as a poem as the others have suggested. I think 'A fine line drawn by a singed string' might be better as a fine line marked by a singed string or a fine line distinguished by a singed string.

Other than that, I don't have many suggestions. It flowed beautifully and while you did use the words death and life a little too often, I found both the content and description to be enjoyable.

If you decide to keep it as prose, expand it and add more structure, more plot. There needs to be some purpose to your writing.

If you want to change it to poetry, be careful where you place your line-breaks and expand on the imagery.

Heather xx




User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 42

Donate
Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:09 am
Sythe wrote a review...



Hi, Cat4Prowl. I owe you a critique!

This is really good. Really short, but really good. I love the whole 'fire' metaphor you threw in there. It's a lot more interesting to read that way. I really loved this line:

Life-giving death and death-giving life reflected in the affray of light.


I really like the contradictory that you used. Very creative. What I would suggest is making this a tad bit longer; it might help you win the contest.

Good luck,

:Sythe:




User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 5120
Reviews: 317

Donate
Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:42 pm
mizz-iceberg says...



I think this would go well in poetry form ... no?
Great descriptions and yes if you put it into poetry form, I think you would do quit well in the contest. But this is just my suggestion.




User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 35

Donate
Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:57 pm
Firestar says...



Really interesting! The only line that I didn't get was "that forever haunt the limbo".





No one is perfect; not even your reflection.
— Chalkboard Words