The Alphabet

by carelessaussie13

So recently I got interested in the alphabet and what it means. If you go back to Greece, each letter had a meaning, and a bunch of other cultures, ancestors or descendants of relatives of Greek, have similar meanings. Along another line, if you go through the dictionary and pick out all the monosyllabic words that start with D, for example, you come up with startling results. Almost all of the words have similar meanings. A huge percentage relate to water or darkness or misery (damp, dark, doom, doubt, et cetera). More relate to insults (dork, dope, dumb, dog). So then things got really interesting. I worked on pulling things together, making lists and comparing things, and I made up an entirely new alphabet. This is based primarily on Greek, Arabic and Norse symbolism, with a bit of Japanese theory in there, too.

But I wasn't done. As I was working on the symbolic meaning of the letters, it occurred to me that most of them seemed to describe a certain age. For instance, the letter A, which I call Alef based on combining the letter-words from three different languages, symbolizes blue, beginning, travel and rising above. Sounds a bit like birth, doesn't it? It all becomes clearer, but this is basically the alphabet I call, the AlphaBetter. I have arranged the letters according to age value. Also, I have added some letter and taken some away for various reasons. Some letters occur in the same period of life.

A -- Alef --blue, beginnings, travel, rising above. Age: birth to 1 year

B-- Bet --growing, reaching, intellect, inner motion. Age: 1-2 years

D -- Dalat --development of self as a physical being, hope. Age: 2-3 years

Eh -- Edha -- restlessness, pride, breath, bravery, eagerness. Age: 3-5 years

F -- Fau -- male energy, humor, struggles with humility. Age: 5-10 years

G -- Gurma -- changing, growth, understanding of own self, opening Age: 10-13

H -- Ha--learning of sexuality an religion, trust, night Age: 13-15

Ee -- Ear -- turning inward, exploring the soul, hopelessness. Age: 15-16

R -- Rhu -- female energy, exploring power in unity Age: 15-16 (women)

Iy -- Ise -- understanding self as a weapon for positive change Age: 16-18

J--Jye -- acceptance of self as part of a whole world, destiny. Age: 18-19

K -- Kafa -- discovery, connections, analogy, communication Age: 19-21

L -- Lamu -- fear at life without support, frenetic thought. Age: 21-25

M -- Ma -- begins to find stability as person, adult friendshps Age: 25-30

W -- Wena -- feels happy with life, experiences sound, taste highly. Age: 25-30

U -- Oor--becomes proud of self as a person, learns sincerity. Age: 30-33

T--Ta -- welcomes responsibility, protects others, fatherhood. Age: 33-40

P--Pei -- glows with spiritual light, finds humor in life, vanity. Age: 40-50

N -- Need -- accepts unpleasant reality of aging, reversals, recoiling. Age: 40-50

Ng-- Ngau -- relives memories, wishes for more time, rebirth, love. Age: 50-60

S -- Sigad-- body begins to return to the earth, pain. Age: 60-65

Z -- Zau --lives in a perpetual marsh of a changing world, alienation.Age:65-75

X -- Tex -- fears death bur understands the cycle or life

St -- Straif -- darkness, punishment, feels regret towards life. Age: 80-death

O -- Oma -- family and friends appreciate life and mourn, completion, circles.

I'm not sure what to call this sort of thing, or if it's a load or hooey or what, but I'm sure going to keep looking for connections in English and in other languages. I guess this thing fits somewhere in between linguistics and sound symbolism. If anyone knows the technical name, or if you have any thoughts on the Alphabetter, PM me or reply here. Thanks a bunch.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:17 am
jules4848 wrote a review...

wow you must of put alot of time into this

what possessed you to do it?

how long did it take you to do it?

im not sure if there is a name for it but
I wouldnt necccessarily call it alphabetter

only because it more confusing
although it has more meaning so it could be called that

its debatable

maybe you could encorperate this into a story!

chocoholic wrote a review...

I only skimmed it, but it's really interesting. I can tell what you mean by all the words seem to point to a certain age. This must have been really hard work. Have you got any plans to extend this or do something with it? It's just an idea, but I'm sure you could easily come up with a novel around it. If you don't, I might have a crack at it a bit later.

Just wondering, what's the Japanese theory in it?

I really like this and you've done a great job, well done!

Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:13 am
modelx23 wrote a review...

Well, I don't really know too much about the origin and meaning of the alphabet, but this was really cool to read.

It's interesting the way you put all of this together and compared the letters and words. I hadn't ever thought of the alphabet's meaning in this way before.

Keep up the good thinking!

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk