Nevermore

by carelessaussie13

Morning, Penny decides, is no time to concentrate on walking attractively. Anyone who might raise an eyebrow over an eight o’clock waddle clearly doesn’t need to be listened to in the long run. She waddles to the bathroom, scratching her head and yawning widely.

“You look like Daffy Duck with a hangover,” Lorraine comments helpfully.

It doesn’t matter that Penny has been an identical twin her whole life; up until a year ago, when Mom put in an upstairs bathroom, she hasn't had to look at someone else in her body before breakfast. It’s disconcerting, and always something of a shock. She waddles up to the mirror and squeezes toothpaste onto her brush. Lorraine waltzes into the bathroom behind her and sits primly on the toilet. Penny averts her eyes politely, although technically they have been looking at each other naked so long that neither of them really care.

“I have this weird feeling,” Penny says suddenly, only just then becoming aware of it herself.

Lorraine looks at her silently, running her hand through her dyed-red hair. Penny notes with satisfaction that perhaps morning isn’t the time for glib remarks, either. “What feeling?”

“That something’s gonna change.” The feeling tingles up and down her spine, broadening her ribcage and pulling her continuously backwards. It jangles her nerves and makes looking at Lorraine in her body extra annoying. She only brushes the left side of her mouth, leaving the thick, heavy taste of sleep wallowing in the right, and stalks out of the bathroom.

She has perhaps twenty minutes before breakfast, which is time enough for all her morning rituals. As she gets dressed, applies deodorant and yanks at the snags in her hair, she ponders how in the world someone like her and someone like Lorraine could share a gene pool, let alone fifty percent of their DNA.

That feeling creeps back, spreading from her spine into her shoulders, pulling them backwards, and down into her arms and hands and legs. Her whole body becomes a defense shield, guarding her from whatever change she feels sure is coming.

She hears Lorraine belting show tunes from the shower.

Penny scowls and heads downstairs.

Mom leans against the counter, listening to Jack Johnson and pushing scrambled eggs around the frying pan. “Orange juice on the table, hon.”

Make you banana pancakes, pretend like it’s the weekend now . . .the CD player adds, always a good contributor to any conversation.

“Thanks. You know you don’t have to make breakfast for us in summer, too. We know you have work.”

“It’s not you I’m worried about, Pen, it’s your sister. She has rehearsal. If it were up to her she’s grab a candy bar and eat nothing else all day and then come home complaining no one feeds her.”

“Who’s complaining?” asks Lorraine from the stairs, a towel-turban wrapped around her head. She’s wearing her usual earthy tones in tight clothes that cling to her figure like it matters. Penny wonders briefly if she is that sexy just because she has the same body, but dismisses the idea. Although maybe if she dyed her hair red like Lorraine’s . . .

“So what’s your plan for the day?” Lorraine asks her as Mom sets down their plates. She digs in with vigor.

“Oh, I dunno. When does rehearsal end? We could hang out.”

“Four,” Lorraine says around a mouthful of food. “Actually, it starts at nine and I’m biking, so I gotta run, see ya Penny.” She bounds out the door, leaving her towel-turban draped over the chair and Penny alone with their mother.

~

Penny likes to think their house is the only thing for miles, but she knows there’s a cow farm just over the hill there. She heads the other direction, towards town. She’ll never get there walking, but that’s a good thing because right then all Penny wants is to be alone.

The world feels alive. The forest jumps and dances and swirles around her, assailing her with he woody scent of summer. A blue heron flaps off from a pond by the side or the road. A little rabbit scrambles away and hid es behind a bush of dying blackberries, long ears folded back and quivering. It’s hard to stay grumpy in a world this beautiful.

She can’t stay grumpy, but neither can she ditch that tingly feeling of imminent change. It tails after her like a child’s wooden duck on a string, always a little glimmer of discomfort on the edge of her vision. She quickens her pace as if it will help her get away.

“It’s changing.”

Penny whirls wildly to look behind her. A woman stands there, a woman maybe in her early twenties. She’s filthy. She doesn’t appear to be wearing anything save a ratty old quilt that looks like it’s been lying in the woods for five or ten years.

“Pardon?” Penny asks, a habit she picked up from her Canadian friend. “Do you live around here? I don’t remember seeing you at all.”

The woman steps closer. “It’s coming. It’s changing. You feel it, don’t you? Be prepared.” She has an accent, but not one that Penny recognizes. It seems, rather, as if moving her mouth to create sound takes too much effort and she’s pushing a bit to hard to compensate.

That persistent shiver of change somersaults in Penny’s chest, but the woman is creeping her out and she walks past her towards the house. “What’s changing?” she asks, as if she is merely humor ng the woman and finds the whole conversation rather irritating.

“Everything. The layers, they’re . . .imbalanced . . .they’re too strong . . .but you’ll be back soon enough when it’s over.” The woman turns and walks off the road into the woods, flat-footed, toddling forward like a child first learning to walk. Penny rubs at her forearms and heads hurriedly for home.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:59 am
onceuponatim3xo wrote a review...

Great job with this, I love the spunk you put into your writing :D Just a few things though:

It doesn’t matter that Penny has been an identical twin her whole life; up until a year ago she hasn’t had to deal with looking at her other body before breakfast. It’s disconcerting, and always something of a shock.

I think that you should expand more on why she hadn't seen her for a year, in this paragraph would be good, or it'd be fine if you planned to explain it later.

Make you banana pancakes, pretend like it’s the weekend now . . .the CD player adds,

I love that song!

Penny averts her eyes politely, although they have been looking at each other naked so long that neither of them really care.

I think you mean that they've been looking at themselves naked which in-turn is actually eachother, to clear up any confusion, I suggest you do something like this: "Penny averts her eyes politely, although they have technically been looking at each other naked so long that neither of them really care."

The forest jumps and dances and swirles around her,

*swirls

This was an excellent piece, I look forward to more,
~Onceuponatim3xo

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:01 am
Yatta! wrote a review...

Actually it's more than 50 percent of their DNA. I'm a biology nut, you see, in fact identical twins share about...99.9 percent of their DNA. The similarities are extravagantly close. I mean, except personality wise they are almost the same individuals with the same MHC factors, blood type, genetic dispositions...etc. They have the same genes from their mother and father so they're completely the same, except for possibly what might have occurred through crossing over and other such nick-nacks, hence the 0.1 percent difference. But yeah...just thought you should know, and probably change it because it's false knowledge and it really does bother me.

"imbalanced" or unbalanced...hmm..which is the right world?

Juts light grammar mistakes you can catch when you read it through again, so I won't divulge.

I really liked it, kinda reminds me "The Hounds of the Morrigan" by Pat O'Shae. You should read it, it's a lovely book. Got to love the Irish....and the Canadian...and the Swiss, as a matter of fact. I say "Pardon" too!

Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:27 am
scasha wrote a review...

Hey Careless!
Let's see what you got!!

carelessaussie13 wrote:Morning, Penny decides, is no time to concentrate on walking attractively. Anyone who might raise an eyebrow over an eight o’clock waddle clearly doesn’t need to be listened to in the long run. She waddles to the bathroom, scratching her head and yawning [s]widely[/s] Watch out for too many adverbs and adjectives .
“You look like Daffy Duck with a hangover,” Lorraine comments [s]helpfully[/s].
It doesn’t matter that Penny has been an identical twin her whole life; up until a year ago she hasn’t had to deal with looking at her other body before breakfast. I loved that line! It’s disconcerting, and always something of a shock. She joins Lorraine at the mirror and squeezes toothpaste onto her brush. Lorraine waltzes into the bathroom behind her and sits [s]primly[/s] on the toilet. Penny averts her eyes out of courtesy[s]politely[/s], although they have been looking at each other naked so long that neither of them really care.
“That something’s gonna change.” The feeling tingles up and down her spine, broadening her ribcage and pulling her continuously backwards. It jangles her nerves and makes looking at Lorraine in her body extra annoying Didn't really understand what you were saying in that sentence. try to be more specific or clear the wording up . She only brushes the left side of her mouth, leaving the thick, heavy taste of sleep wallowing in the right, and stalks out of the bathroom.
Penny scowls and heads downstairs.
Mom leans against the counter, listening to [s]a CD of [/s]Jack Johnson and pushing scrambled eggs around the frying pan. “Orange juice on the table, hon.”
Make you banana pancakes, pretend like it’s the weekend now . . .the CD player adds, [s]always a good contributor to any conversation[/s].
“Thanks. You know you don’t have to make breakfast for us in summer, [s]too[/s]. We know you have work.”
“It’s not you I’m worried about, Pen, it’s your sister. She has rehearsal. If it were up to her Insert comma she’d grab a candy bar and eat nothing else all day and then come home complaining that no one feeds her.”
“Who’s complaining?” asks Lorraine from the stairs, a towel-turban wrapped around her head. She’s wearing her usual earthy tones For some reason when you said earthy tones, I automatically thought of make up. Try to think of another way to say it. Maybe say dull-colored [s]in tight [/s] her clothes [s]that[/s] clinging to her figure [s]like it matters[/s]. Penny wonders briefly if she is that sexy just because she has the same body, but dismisses the idea. Although maybe if she dyed her hair red like Lorraine’s . . .
“Four,” Lorraine says around a mouthful of food. “Actually, it starts at nine and I’m biking, so I gotta run, see ya Penny.” She bounds out the door, leaving her towel-turban draped over the chair and Penny alone with their mother. That was too quick of a transition for me. At least have her talk to her for a bit. I mean Lorraine asked the question and then ran out the door. Just seems a bit abrupt.

~

Penny likes to think their house is the only thing for miles, but she knows there’s a cow farm just over the hill [s]there[/s]. She heads in the other direction, towards town. She’ll never get there walking, but that’s a good thing because right then all Penny wants is to be alone.
The world feels alive. The forest jumps and dances and swirles around her, assailing her with the woody scent of summer. A blue heron flaps off from a pond by the side of the road. A little rabbit scrambles away and hides behind a bush of dying blackberries, its long ears folded back and quivering. It’s hard to stay grumpy in a world this beautiful. I never thought that she was grumpy in the first place. You might want to hint at it a bit more in the beginning
“It’s changing.”
Penny whirls wildly to look behind her. A woman stands there, [s]a woman[/s] maybe in her early twenties. She’s filthy. She doesn’t appear to be wearing anything save a ratty old quilt that looks like it’s been lying in the woods for five or ten years.
“Pardon?” Penny asks, a habit she picked up from her Canadian friend. “Do you live around here? I don’t remember seeing you at all.” Hehehe, my canadian friend says pardon all the time too :-)
That persistent shiver [s]of change [/s]somersaults in Penny’s chest, but the woman is creeping her out and she walks past her towards the house. “What’s changing?” she asks, as if she is merely humoring the woman and finds the whole conversation rather irritating.

Overall:

I loved it! It seems really interesting! I like the sassyness in your writing, the tone at least felt a bit sassy in the beginning which I liked! Some parts you should pay attention to:

Living in the Present: I applaude you at using the present. However, I do not think that tense works all that well here. It's just my opinion but I think this story would sound better in the past. If you like it, keep it, it's just my personal preference.

Something's Changing: Okay, I had a bit of trouble understanding the way you handled the way the feeling of change made your MC feel. I just didn't understand it at parts and you say "that feeling of change" or something like it, multiple times. Try to think of other ways to describe and define it. It just felt...awkward.

Rushing: I felt that you rushed Lorraine out the door, which I found a bit too fast for my pace.

Dual Personalities?: For some reason when you were talking about the feeling of change in the bathroom scene, I kept thinking that you were saying that Penny was having a dual personality problem, like she thought that Lorraine was in her head or something. I have no idea why, I think it was just the awkward wording of that scene that threw me a bit.

Other than that, well done! Keep up the good work! If you have any questions, definitley PM me!

Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:46 pm
mikedb1492 wrote a review...

If it were up to her she’s grab a

You need she'd not she's.

Other than that I just have to say you told me more than you showed me. Go into more detail about the characters' actions and how the stuff around them is like.

That's about all I could find. Pretty good job so far.

As a side note, I'm not a fan of the present tense writing either. I just don't see it often enough. In fact, I don't think I ever saw it until I came to this website. For the most part, though, you're pretty good with the style and after a while I got used to it and found that it flowed well enough. Most of the time I see the style, the story crashes and burns, but you did good. I'd personally suggest switching to the past tense, but do whatever you want.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:45 pm
Faithe wrote a review...

Interesting, to start. The idea of "imbalanced layers" is a cool concept, and it will be neat to see where you're taking it. I didn't find much wrong with the piece, just a few things...

She joins Lorraine at the mirror and squeezes toothpaste onto her brush. Lorraine waltzes into the bathroom behind her and sits primly on the toilet.

If Penny joins Lorraine at the mirror, doesn't that mean Lorraine is already in the bathroom? So she couldn't waltze in, if she's already there.

The forest jumps and dances and swirles around her, assailing her with he woody scent of summer.

*the.

A blue heron flaps off from a pond by the side or the road.

*of.

A little rabbit scrambles away and hid es behind a bush of dying blackberries, long ears folded back and quivering.

*hides.

Besides those...I'm not used to reading third person, in the present tense, so that made it a little difficult for me to follow sometimes. That, however, is a personal preference, so if this is form that you're comfortable with, continue with it. If multiple people have the same problem, though, you may want to consider changing it. And then I was confused with the identical twin scenario. Penny says that she and Lorraine have been seeing each other naked for almost their whole lives, but until a year se didn't see Lorraine...I may have missed something obvious, but if not, make that issue clearer. Otherwise, good work, and good luck on the next bit!

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket