z

Young Writers Society



The Last Storm

by captain.classy


Not based off my story, the Last Storm, but definitely influenced by it.

The last storm can only be seen;
It cannot be touched.
And no matter how hard you want to push it
away,
it will never leave you.

It casts a shadow over year heart,
keeping it dull and gray.
And no matter how hard it pumps,
it will never see color
again.

It keeps a straight course
not having anywhere else to go.
And no matter how much you want to steer it,
nothing will happen,
because some things cannot be turned.

The perfect storm will last forever.
It will never leave your heart.
It will implant a cold, wet shadow,
and seem to be untouched.

But, even though it’s said to be alone
and said to steer its own course,
never in its right mind turn,
there is always something,
or someone,
out there that can make it spin.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
369 Reviews


Points: 15698
Reviews: 369

Donate
Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:00 pm
Conrad Rice wrote a review...



Hi there, captain.classy. I'm Conrad Rice, and I'll be your reviewer for today.

So, I really think that you need to follow the old "Show, don't tell" adage here. You're telling us all about this storm and frankly, it's not doing anything for me. If you would describe its actions, how it touches the people that are affected by it, then I think this would be a much better work.

It has potential, don't get me wrong. You just need to work with it to bring that out. Send me a PM if you have any questions or comments about it.

Good job, and good luck.

-Conrad Rice




User avatar
287 Reviews


Points: 7596
Reviews: 287

Donate
Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:16 pm
Moriah Leila wrote a review...



I really have to agree with Snoink and Kamas on this one. We need more imagery, as you seem to be telling us everything that is happening. It makes this poem fall flat. When you do use some imagery, it is great.

And no matter how hard it pumps,it will never see color again.


I love this line. See how brilliant it is?

The perfect storm will last forever. It will never leave your heart.


Yawn. Show how you want it to leave the heart, perhaps how it might even fight to escape, but then changes it mind.

I just want less telling and more descriptions about the damage this storm can wreak. Good job!




User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 49068
Reviews: 373

Donate
Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:43 pm
Kamas wrote a review...



I repeat what Snoink said too. You are telling us what the storm can't do, staying in the negative state gets boring. Much too boring :wink:

Also, by telling us it will, or won't for that better, your are smothering the reader's imagination. The best poetry coaxes the imagination out, and sets a path for it rather the grab it and shows it what it must see.

Losen up and let your mind wander, describe things use metaphors and you'll create an imagery that the imagination can enjoy.

Keep at it!

Kamas




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3491
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:19 am
Snoink wrote a review...



Stop telling us what it won't do and focus on what it does do! Focusing on what it doesn't do doesn't give us a clear picture of the storm, how lethal it is, what sort of storm is, what the storm's effect is, etc., and that's very important information if we want to understand and respect the effect of the storm, and thus connect with the poem. So quick with the vague "it doesn't do this" and describe the important attributes! Your poem will be much better off that way.





Wicked people never have time for reading. It's one of the reasons for their wickedness.
— Lemony Snicket