E - Everyone Violence

Seltas's first kill

by camusic

The Beginning

“Seltas, calm down,” Edgar comanded. She stared into the arena more of a glorified pit with a stone wall around the edge. A pit about 15 men wide. A pit where two would enter and only one would return. A pit which she was afraid of. A pit Edgar was planning on putting her in.

“I can’t,” she whispered, regretting saying anything after one look from Edgar.

“You’re ready,” he paused. “Use your small size to an advantage,” he advised then dropped her into the pit. Robin started to run towards her realizing what was happening. Edgar stopped him. “You had your fight it’s time for her’s,” He said holding Robin back. Just as harsh and hard as always.

“She’s only eight!” he yelled. “I’m ten!” He tried to push past Edgar but it was pointless to even try to. “I’ll take her place!” He shouted. I’ll take her place! She attempted to sort her thoughts. I’ll take her place! You’re ready. Edgar’s words rang in her head. You’re ready.

“She’s ready,” Edgar’s voice said cutting through the crowd.

She took a deep breath, she couldn’t climb out. One she wasn’t tall enough. Two she’d probably get kicked back, decreasing her odds of winning. Gasping she realized she’d been holding her breath. In, out.

Focus,” she muttered “Your dear uncle put you into this mess and only you can fix it,” She looked down at her hands the one weapon she had. “I can do this,” she whispered trying to convince herself. I can do this. In, out.

She looked up, over where her opponent was walking toward the Arena. Pressure points, remember pressure points. She remembered the pressure points Edgar taught her to look for and started to make a mental list. In, out.

He had a barely noticeable limp telling her that he had an injury on left leg, by the type of the limp a knee injury. She added that to the list of pressure points had come up with. She took another deep breath. Edgar teaching her how to stand and where to put her hands flashed in her head. She adjusted her stance. She remembered Robin ‘fighting’ her but being careful only to softly poke, more just teaching how to quick and predict his seemingly random taps. Edgar waking her up late at night randomly blindfolding her and slowly swing punches getting faster each night, making her reflexes sharp. In, out.

She rolled back her shoulders and adjusted her arm and straightened her posture making her stance more of a fighting stance. Her opponent laughed lumbering the last few steps then climbing into the ring. She refused to be discouraged.

“20 groups on the girl,” Edgar said putting 20 tiny coins in the jar for her. More laughter. In, out.

“5 crowns for the man,” someone said putting them in the jar for her opponent. More bets were on the man Edgar remained the only one betting on her. In, out.

Good move for him if she won he wouldn’t have to split the bet money with anyone. Once the betting was done the little old man that ran the bettings rang a little bell signaling the start.

The man rushed at her. In, out.

She ducked to the side, he stopped himself before running into the arena wall. In, out.

He swung, she ducked kicking him in the knee. Adrenaline started to pulse in her veins. She swung a punch, aiming at one of the pressure points she had learned. In, out.

He cried out falling back she heard a chorus of boos. Embarrassed he rushed at her again. His limp was more noticeable now. Use your size as an advantage. In, out.

She dodged. He swung, she felt the wind of the swing. She ducked. He cursed. In, out.

Look for something to hit there’s always something if you’ve already hit that spot hit it again, harder. Edgar advice ringing in her head. She kicked him in the knee. He yelped then cursed some more. She could have sworn she heard a crunch. The sound echoed in her skull, making her stomach twist. In, out.

She heard Robin cheering, the sound seemed further away than it was. The man couldn’t even stand now. She started to circle. In, out.

The crowd was too shocked to say anything, with the exception of Robin. His cheers she could hardly barely hear against her own thoughts. In, out.

The man tried to stand but fell crying out. She took the distraction to attack. Anger is a useful emotion if channelled correctly. Edgar’s voice rang in her head as she fought. She remembered her father's sad eyes and her mother's death in childbirth. She blamed the man for both of their deaths. In, out.

Shouts of disbelief and maybe awe started to grow with intensity, she could hardly hear them. Her father's sad eyes flashed in her vision. Instead of the sight slowing her down like it had in the past she used it to aggravate her more blaming the man for his death. Even if he had nothing to do with it. Blaming him that she had never known her mother. Blaming him for only knowing her father as a broken man. Blaming him for never being good enough for Edgar. Blaming him for the pain it caused her to feel. Blaming him, Blaming him for everything!

She screamed giving powerful blow to the stomach. He started to fall swing her elbow it collided into his skull. Blood splattered climbing up her arm and on to her clothes. Her commoner clothing now had red stained against the dirt brown shirt and trousers. The blood of a man that she had killed. She looked up at the crowd her hands shaking. She felt a hot tear run down her face. Breath. Breath. Breath! Her lungs finally complied.

She saw Robin break free from Edgar running towards her. She ran towards her brother. He stretched his hands towards her she gladly grabbed them. He pulled her up straining against her weight.

“Robin I-” she gulped forcing herself not to cry. Instead of replying he just hugged her, like she had hugged him after he had won in a previous fight. She closed her eyes against the overbarring crowd. When she dared opened her eyes again she saw Edgar, a smile was on his face. She was shocked Edgar never smiled. Edgar had always frowned harshly telling her everything she had done wrong. Edgar was smiling at her! She questioned whether she had really won the fight. She opened her mouth to speak but had nothing to say. Edgar opened his mouth. Two words that would affect her for the rest of her life were about to come out of that mouth. Those words would change how she heard Edgars criticizing. Words that would make her proud. Words that would make her feel almost whole. Words that she would treasure and remember for the rest of her life. Words that would change how she saw herself. Not as a broken child, but as a warrior.

“Well done,

Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there camusic. I was going through my WRFF thread and found that there were three requests that I never finished. Yours is the oldest and I'm sorry that I didn't get the feedback to you sooner. It looks like you already have enough commentary on the grammar issues within this story, so I'll try to focus more on the big details or just small sections that are bothersome.

Let's do this.

There's a lot to look at here just with the title. I always like to look at the title when I'm going through a literary work because I know that you must have chosen it for a reason. "first kill" reminds the reader that it's going to be violent in some way but it doesn't give a lot of detail into how this event is going to take place. Or the context of what the character is being put up to.

The first set of lines should be really impactful to the reader but the only impact I'm feeling is issues with descriptions of the pit in question. I know that the main character is about to face this massive challenge and doesn't want to go through with what's happening. That is easy to see but the writing itself is not very clear, pushing the reader back while they're trying to make it through this introduction. The repetition here could have been very useful. Instead, it turned against you and left an empty hole for the idea we want to work through.

Some good things is that two of the main characters are identified and there are these hints at a setting. And we get the dangerous feelings that are coursing through the main character (assuming Seltas) as the plot begins.

This dialogue is a bit awkward for a couple of reasons, mainly from the way it's formatted and the dialogue tags that you chose. And the information that the characters are swapping back and forth doesn't seem to add to the reader's understanding of the plot. We find out a bit more about the main character but then we're introduced to another character with similar motives. I'm not sure what the point of having to go down into this fight and kill someone is, but I now know that the fighters are already duking it out over who gets to go down there. This brings a darker side to the story but the information could have been conveyed with more detail and clarity.

A big thing that I keep noticing as I skim through the plot is that you have these walls of texts and within the walls, the phrasing is very repetitive. For an example, I want you to take a careful look at the very last paragraph, where almost every sentence starts the same way.

Now somewhere in all of that, you should be able to break this apart. I have skimmed through this portion three times and I still haven't been able to successfully focus on what you wanted me to know. The repetition of "words" and describing what the character is thinking of them is one way to get to Edgar's dialogue. But it's not really the healthiest way to get there.
I really don't approve of the wording use but if you want to keep it, you need to mix up the order so that her reaction to Edgar's praise, actually comes after Edgar's praise. That's what majorly set me off from the set up of this passage. You like to describe the action before it happens and what it will mean for the plot, but the reader still doesn't know what the action is. This might work once or twice within the story but consistent use just dulls the effect that you are looking for.

And there's also the matter of the fight scene itself. It was rather distracting and we dealt more with the main character making casual movements, than a focus on the task at hand. This seems to be rather off to me where she is so distracted by this debt that she wants to repay, that she's not really concentrating on the target of the vengeance. It might also be that you need more detail in the middle because this is supposed to be about her first fight to the death, and there was an early mention of all the strategy that went into it.

There is a lot going on here, so that does mean there is a lot to work with. I think you just need to break down all of the details that you decided to include and then prioritize their importance to you. And also most of these sentences need to be compacted and clarified in some manner.

Good luck.
PM me with any questions.
- Lizz

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:40 am
Jyva wrote a review...

righto, let's see what we got here.

-

The Beginning

>“Seltas calm down,” Edgar demanded.

should have a comma after "Seltas"
telling someone to calm down is usually said, well... calmly. kind of odd to be demanding it, but i guess if the context fits it works - maybe this edgar guy's really rude. i'd still change it to something else regardless.

>She stared into the arena more of a glorified pit with a stone wall around the edge.

odd phrasing, could use a comma in there. say it aloud. you got three sections of information that don't fit together like this. i'd change it to

"She stared into the arena - though it looked more like a glorified pit with stone walls than anything else."

>A pit about 15 men wide. A pit where two would enter and only one would return. A pit Edgar was planning on putting her in.

whew, sudden dramatic short sentences. multiple short sentences are great when used right, kind of disconcerting here because we're on the first paragraph. you gotta guide us into the dramatic tone, man, smoothly descend into it - this is more like a ten-foot hole in the middle of a flat road. if you know what i mean.

>“I can’t,” she whispered. Edgar fixed her a hard glare making her regret saying anything.

fixed her *with* a hard glare, making her regret saying anything.

>“You’re ready,” he paused.

so when a sentence continues after dialogue like this, it's usually to indicate that/describe how a person's speaking the dialogue, like "he said," or "she shouted," or "Max whispered". you don't say things by pausing, you say things by... saying...them. basically, just replace "paused" with "said" - UNLESS you want to keep the pause there, in which case end the first sentence at the dialogue so that it reads like

"You're ready." He paused.

>“Use your small size to an advantage,” he advised then dropped her into the pit.

need a comma after "advised".
replace "an" with "your".
normally i'd leave it at that, but you already have a "he said" kind of phrase in the previous sentence, so there's painfully visible structure repetition here - gonna copypaste both to show -

“You’re ready,” he paused. “Use your small size to your advantage,” he advised, then...

see?

nitpick - “use your small size to an advantage” is pretty vague. to some, it might say that you, the writer, don't actually know much about medieval-ish (i'm assuming) swordfighty stuff. if you worded it like that to show that Edgar's the one that doesn't know much, or that he just doesn't care for Seltas, though, nicely done.

>Her only brother Robin started to run towards her realizing what was happening.

comma after the second "her" please

i'm gonna take that "The Beginning" at the start of this post and assume that this is the start of a longer story you plan to write. cool. if so, this is... really not a good way to introduce a character. this is from Seltas' perspective, yeah? the prose is gonna be meshed with her thoughts. she wouldn't see her brother and think "my only brother Robin", it'd just be "Robin". show that he's her brother elsewhere, with dialogue or setting or actions, whatever - just not this.

>Edgar stopped him. “You had your fight it’s time for her’s,” He said holding Robin back.

need comma after "fight", and since the sentence continues after dialogue, you don't need a capital H on "he". also another comma after "said".

>Just as harsh and hard as always.

nitpick - don't need "just as".

>“She’s only eight!” he yelled. “I’m ten!”

what kinda gladiator arena is this? there's preteens fighting? they're not gonna be stabbing each other, they're gonna be pissing and crying and stammering and it's really just not practical. unless these kids are, like, trained since birth to do this. which they're clearly not, judging from how Seltas and her brother are acting.

>“I’ll take her place!” He shouted. I’ll take her place! She attempted to sort her thoughts I’ll take her place! You’re ready. Edgar’s words rang in her head. You’re ready.

no need for capitals on "he".

yes need for missing speech mark when dialogue starts again at "I'll take her place".

"She attempted to sort her thoughts I’ll take her place!" is... really odd. not really sure what you're trying to communicate there, but no ten year old would be saying that, and there's a comma missing.

"You’re ready. Edgar’s words rang in her head. You’re ready." should be on a separate line, imo.

>“She’s ready,” Edgar’s voice said cutting through the crowd.

comma after "said"

no crowd was mentioned before now. did it just appear outta nowhere with nobody batting an eye, or did you forget to put in the crowd cheering/clapping etc. earlier? i think it might be the second option. maybe. possibly.

>She took a deep breath, she couldn’t climb out.

split this into two sentences.

>One she wasn’t tall enough. Two she’d probably get

comma after "one" and "two".

>kicked back, decreasing her odds of winning.

"decreasing her odds of winning" can be removed entirely. kinda goes without saying, plus the more obvious thought here would be "so it's pointless" or w/e

>Gasping she realized she’d been holding her breath.

comma after "gasping"

>Focus,” she muttered “Your dear uncle put you into this mess and only you can fix it,” She looked down at her hands the one weapon she had. “I can do this,” she whispered trying to convince herself. In, out.

hands, plural. she's got two hands, therefore they're not one weapon... also when i think of an eight-year-old girl's hands, they don't really strike me as weapons.

"trying to convince herself" goes without saying, you can remove it entirely

grammatical mess here. missing speech mark at start, full stop after "muttered", second sentence should end at "it", comma after "hands" and "whispered" - you know what i'll just do it for you.

"Focus,” she muttered. “Your dear uncle put you into this mess and only you can fix it.” She looked down at her hands, the only tools she had. “I can do this,” she whispered to herself. In, out.

>She looked up, over where her opponent was walking toward the Arena.

over to*
why is "arena" capitalised? you didn't do that before.

>Pressure points, remember pressure points.

this is a direct thought from Seltas - should separate it from the regular prose and do something to indicate so. i use italics.

>She remembered the pressure points Edgar taught her to look for and started to make a mental list.

again, very, very vague, like the whole "use your size to your advantage" thing. except this time, it seems that Seltas is defintely meant to be knowledgeable about it. it's up to you to achieve that.

>He had a barely noticeable limp telling her that he had an injury on left leg, by the type of the limp a knee injury. She added that to the list of pressure points had come up with. She took another deep breath. Edgar teaching her how to stand and where to put her hands flashed in her head. She adjusted her stance. She remembered Robin ‘fighting’ her but being careful only to softly poke, more just teaching how to quick and predict his seemingly random taps. Edgar waking her up late at night randomly blindfolding her and slowly swing punches getting faster each night, making her reflexes sharp. In, out.

proofread this whole paragraph - there's tons of missing words and grammar.

>and straightened her posture making her stance more of a fighting stance.

vague.

>Her opponent laughed lumbering the last few steps then climbing into the ring.

comma after "laughed".

>“20 groups on the girl,” Edgar said putting 20 tiny coins in the jar for her.

i'm assuming "groups" is the name of the currency in your universe here - hella odd, but okay. if not, change it.

>More bets were on the man Edgar remained the only one betting on her.

split into two sentences.

comment: edgar is showing an awful lot of faith in this girl despite being so dang rude to her. iiiinteresting.

>Good move for Edgar if she won he wouldn’t have to split the bet money with anyone.

split into two sentences.

>Once the betting was done the little old man that ran the bettings rang a little bell signaling the start.

"bettings" isn't a word. i think you're looking for "bets"

signalling*

missing two commas here.

>The man rushed at her.

wait, MAN? since you didn't describe her opponent at all before this, i assumed she was facing another kid her age. this arena's letting children fight fully grown adult men? what? and edgar's betting on her? either this lady has superpowers or edgar's really dumb.

>She ducked to the side, he stopped himself before running into the arena wall.

suspending my belief real hard for this one - i don't think many eight year olds have the motor skills to dodge an adult male running at them, but alright.

>He swung, she ducked kicking him in the knee. Adrenaline started to pulse in her veins. She swung a punch, aiming at one of the pressure points she had learned. In, out.

used "swung" twice here.

man, i'm having REAL trouble seeing this fight in my mind without the girl getting stepped on.

>He cried out falling back she heard a chorus of boos.

adult means, like, ages 18-60ish if you don't specify that they're old. no man in that age range, regardless of how hard they're limping, is gonna be that hurt by one hit from an EIGHT-YEAR OLD GIRL.

also you're missing commas again.

>Embarrassed he rushed at her again.

comma

>She dodged. He swung, she felt the wind of the swing. She ducked. He cursed. In, out.

this guy is an adult human male, right? not a robot with pre-set actions? he can learn from his mistakes and not do the exact same thing, right? right???????

>Look for something to hit there’s always something if you’ve already hit that spot hit it again, harder.

commas

>Edgar advice ringing in her head.

grammar

>She kicked him in the knee. He yelped then cursed some more. She could have sworn she heard a crunch. The sound echoed in her skull, making her stomach twist.

insert previous complaint here + eight year old kids can't break bones unless the guy has brittle bone disease. you haven't mentioned that or mentioned that it's odd for her to be breaking bones. am i in the twilight zone right now

an adult overpowers and outranges a child by miles, dude... come on.

here's the line my belief was being suspended on:

|
|
|
|
|

:( <----- here's where my belief currently is

camusic says...

Thanks for the reality check XD

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:40 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there camusic! I'm here to give you the review you asked for in my Will Review for Food thread.

First off, I really liked this! I think this is an excellent and chilling start to a fantasy story. You launch us right into the action and do a good job of telling us her backstory (her parents dying, why she's with Edgar) without making it feel like you're giving us exposition. Her using her past as a focus for her anger when she fights is a really strong way to develop her character and is also pretty scary. I feel so sorry for her already, but I'm also more than a little scared of her.

I think my biggest point of criticism is that there's no way Seltas is only eight. I think you could get away with her being ten, but not eight. Barring magical assistance, there's no way an eight-year-old girl could take down a full-grown, fit man like that. While she may know about pressure points and those sorts of things, she just can't have had enough time to train to be able to use them effectively. More importantly, her internal thought process is too sophisticated for an eight-year-old.

Your action sequence was actually really quite good. I think you could describe the arena they're fighting in a bit better, as well as describe what the man looked like more so we can get a better understanding of what she's up against. But what really made it gripping was the way you focused on her thought process and emotions, even before she started pouring her anger into it. Emotions and character reactions are always the most important part of any fight sequence, and you nailed them.

Breath. Breath. Breath

These should be "breathe," as "breathe" is the verb, while "breath" is a noun.

In some places, your pacing was off, and I recommend going through this with a careful eye to grammar, particularly your use of commas. Comma usage is something really valuable to learn early on, and I'd highly recommend learning about it - we have some articles on grammar here on YWS that should give you a good start!

Pacing:
Blood splattered climbing up her arm and on to her clothes. Her commoner clothing now had red stained against the dirt brown shirt and trousers. The blood of a man that she had killed. She looked up at the crowd her hands shaking.

You could draw this out more - a paragraph break in here somewhere would be good for effect. The aftermath, with Edgar's reaction, also feels rushed - let what she's done take a little bit longer for it to sink in before we see Edgar's reaction. It'll be more disturbing that way.

And I think I'll leave it at that! I really did enjoy this. Let me know if you post any more! Good luck, and keep writing!

camusic says...

Thanks for the review will use the advice!

camusic says...

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:17 am
yoyou446 wrote a review...

Please note, I'm not editor or expert

I love the detailed fight scene. It adds a baseline for her skills to improve in future stories.
I notice some missing commas.

While writing is art and art is judged in the eye of the beholder so don't take any of my criticisms with a grain of salt. I don't know the setting of the world. Is it high fantasy or just fantasy? If its high fantasy then its all good, it is low, or normal fantasy then (I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this), you might want to consider raising the age of Seltas. Have you seen an eight-year-old? Have you seen a small eight-year-old? Even injured some of the moves would be ineffectual to a grown man. I'm not talking about the pressure points but rather the finishing moves with the elbows and her kicking in the knee. She's more likely to break her own arm or leg then do any damage to him. If its high fantasy then she could have magical strength or something.

I'm no fun at parties :{

The story is amazing though. I wish I knew a little more context as well. More details about the crowd and arena. What is the crowd thinking, are they shouting? is it entertainment or punishment?

camusic says...

Thanks for the advice and all critics are welcome I%u2019d rather critics then oh that was so amazing yada yada I might make it a full on story. The reason I left out the crowds thoughts and feelings is because she%u2019s hardy aware of them in the fight... Maybe I%u2019ll find a way to incorporate the crowd... I like the super strength idea though. The funny thing is I haven%u2019t even really developed this fantasy word yet so yeah.. Dude your fine

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:57 am

Hey there friend, you requested a review - so here I am. :)

I'm going to go through the piece and just point out a few areas that I had comments on.

Description
In your opening - I like that we've already got 1) character and 2) action/conflict. Both are essential for hooking your audience into reading. I like the premise a lot - I think you go a couple too many lines though - and the discription ends up being a tad redundant or obvious.

Let's look at it.

“Seltas calm down,” Edgar demanded. She stared into the arena more of a glorified pit with a stone wall around the edge. A pit about 15 men wide. A pit where two would enter and only one would return. A pit which she was afraid of. A pit Edgar was planning on putting her in.

-- The first few sentences are good, you're establishing the scene. But then we get to the part of "a pit she was afraid of" and we run into the problem of "telling" rather than "showing" -- it's already obvious from the description this would be a scary scenario - no need to clarify it, and it distracts from the action.

In the next little section, I think you run into the same issue again.
“I can’t,” she whispered, she hiccuped. Edgar fixed her a hard glare making her regret saying anything. She looked down ashamed.

The blue portions are redundant and don't add extra or important information. Watch this as you write, because I think you have a good instinct with description as I can see while reading this chapter, it's just that every once in a while you take it one description too far and it becomes redundant -- which ultimately waters down the rest of the good descriptions you already have in the piece.

Characterization
In a few places I had trouble keeping track of the characters.
For instance:

In the fourth paragraph -- you should clarify who "he" is -- it became difficult to keep track of the speakers. I'm assuming that was the other fighter, but there weren't really any contextual clues to figure that out in the preceding sentence and dialogue.

Then later the narrator starts talking about "Robin" but I don't think that character had been introduced and we don't really find out who they are.

Overall you did a good job establishing character of the narrator, especially through her inner dialogue and the way that she transitions in how she sees herself by the end of the piece. I think that the background details about her parents felt a bit rushed, since as a reader we don't know how important the parent issue is for her until the part that it's introduced in the story - it seems big, but isn't really explored except in a few quick sentences.

There could have been a little bit more exposition about the narrator's relationship to Edgar, although I liked their interaction at the end - which showed a lot of insight into who both of them were.

Conflict and Plot Development
Overall, the story had an int interesting premise set up from the beginning which kept my interest through the piece. By the end the fight took up a lot more importance than had been shown at the beginning of the piece, and for me this became a bit confusing because it felt like we had to learn all these sub-plots as the story is basically ending.

I think the short story does show that you have some great skills as far as characterization and narrating inner-thoughts and quick action goes. You may want to take a double look at some of the punctuation in there (a few missing commas, semi-colons, etc). For example the last sentence should have a period rather than a comma. Some extra attention to the little punctuation details, can go a long way in making sure the story makes sense and looks polished. But overall, the punctuation didn't distract my reading of it very much, and I enjoyed the piece.

Let me know if you have any questions about my review! :) And I hope you continue posting more of your writing on the site.

~alliyah

camusic says...

Thanks for the advice will use it.

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore