z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Me is Not I

by caitlynnoco


I am ugly

I am sick

I am "anorexic"

I need to eat a cheeseburger

I need to put on weight

I have to wear cute clothes

I have to put on makeup

I have too many freckles

My hair is too greasy

My boobs are too small

My nose is crooked

My teeth are yellow

I am society's flaws

I am the ugly girl

I'm not hot

I'm not even attractive

Why would anybody want me like this?

Don't I know that I'm bringing negative attention to myself?

If ways to better myself exist,

Why not take them?

Do you have boobs?

That's cute, you're trying to move your ass cheeks, but you don't have any.

There's no way you wear a C cup.

Are you anorexic?

Your wrists are so tiny!

You need to eat a cheese burger.

I can put my whole hand around your arm!

You look sick, are you okay?

Maybe I'm just not used to seeing you without your makeup.

You kinda have a girl moustache.

Your eyebrows are like caterpillars.

You still have scene hair.

Shut up, you have no right to talk about your weight.

Why would you need to exercise?

Lots of people have it worse off than you.

Skinny girls are ugly anyways.

I like a little meat on my bones.

Thigh gaps are disgusting!

I stopped weighing that in middle school

Why should I be myself,

When myself is the last thing I want to be?

I'm going to wear makeup

and push up bras

and stylish clothing

and contacts

And I'm going to eat healthy

and exercise occasionally

Somedays I will feel self conscious

and others I will feel prideful

But either way, I lose

because I'm normal

and still not good enough

and too good at the same time

The person under the filter and makeup?

Isn't me.

That person died a long time ago.

And became a careless piece of society

Because that's all she was allowed to be


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
231 Reviews


Points: 3770
Reviews: 231

Donate
Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:01 am
dogsrule5 wrote a review...



Hey Dogs here to review!

Frist off I loved your poem. It showed so much about society.

Your poem is bold and to me a little brave. I most likely wouldn't write something so deep and personal, but this is strong and bold, and I really like it.

How are you supposed to fit into society? You have to completely change who you are. I love the message this poem gives.

Sometimes I feel all these things about myself. I think everyone is worried about trying to fit in and worried about what others thing. We shouldn't care what they think, isn't it supposed to be what we think? No I guess not, that's not how society works, we have to all be the same... We all have to be thin, wear stylish and cute clothes, wear tons of makeup and look hot now. That's not us. We have to stop thinking this about ourselves and think instead. This is me, and I don't care what anyone thinks, but we are all afraid of what they think...

I can totally relate to this poem, and it makes perfect sense. You are absolutely correct, this is how our society works, whether we like it or not.

Sometimes we are afraid of society, but why do we care if they give us a 1. We are all 10s, but we are so worried about them. What they think of us... Who cares?

I can tell you put great effort into this poem, and it was so meaningful and bold.

I hope to see more works from you in the future.

Keep up the great writing,
Love,
Dogs




Random avatar

Points: 1438
Reviews: 139

Donate
Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:27 pm
deleted21 wrote a review...



Hello there! I liked your poem so I might as well write a review for it!

Your poem is bold, strong and straightforward.

I am ugly
I am sick
I am "anorexic"
I need to eat a cheeseburger
I need to put on weight
I have to wear cute clothes
I have to put on makeup
..................................


The repetition of the first few lines emphasizes the story you tell afterwards, I felt it a little rant-ish, maybe it was intentional, I liked it, all right.

Anyway, If it's written from personal experience, I know where you're coming from. Physical appearance apparently is so important these days that it even outscores talent. It's sad but our society's often like that, yes. It keeps throwing questions at people's looks and it's totally ridiculous, I know. And, I'm also aware that, many times, we are forced by the society and it's somewhat baseless norms to go and pretend to be someone we are not. But, I- personally have always been so concerned about it and I never let society change me- influence me to pretend. I've started university recently and I have seen my friends from school have totally changed themselves, like the way they never were before. Maybe they just want to feel attractive and confident. I don't know. It's individual's choice whether they feel good in makeup or not, but, if one's forced to present themselves as someone they never were or wanted to be, that's wrong.
... Sorry I think I'm being little personal here but I can relate so hope you excuse it. ^^'

I loved the story, the harsh reality you've tried telling here but I'd like it more if you could end it with some of your opinions- that we shouldn't change ourselves for the sake of anyone and something like that...? Your choice, though. In fact, your ending was nice too, quite dramatic. Anyway, keep writing! :)




caitlynnoco says...


Thank you. I've recently started University, too. (I wrote this several years ago, probably when I was in high school.) It forces a lot of changes out of people. I'm finding myself doing things way out of my usual comfort zone and I actually like it. I feel like if I was to write this poem now, my emotive would be totally different because I've really evolved as a person to accept myself as individual and beautiful just the way I am. However, I know there are still way too many women out there who feel the pressure of society. I heard some people talking down about a girl's skinniness just the other day in the same way people used to do to me and it really drove me to post this when I coincidentally rediscovered it.



Random avatar

Points: 43
Reviews: 6

Donate
Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:15 pm
insane wrote a review...



Wow! Strangely powerful writing.
This Is really relatable,I think society tends to fat shame alot but people don't notice the other end of the scale!
The line "became a careless piece of society "Is amazing because it makes you realise how much other people shape who you are !
I'm going end my review there because that was an incredible piece of writing that brought to life the issues girls face today !




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 148
Reviews: 10

Donate


trust your heart if the seas catch fire (and live by love though the stars walk backward)
— E.E. Cummings