z

Young Writers Society



Years Race By

by bubblewrapped


You always have the capacity to surprise me, Incan :wink: I think that's what I like best about your poems: you can tell they're yours, but they never get boring because they never say the same thing twice.

Anyway.

I felt through parts of the second stanza I wasnt getting it -- particularly here:

"so I study the bellies of splay-footed newts,
feel the bite of rope swing on my palm
as I hoist my body's weight again."

Not quite clear on how this connects to the rest of the piece. Other than that, though, another awesome poem. I really liked the garden imagery. My particular favourite line is "But I will steal the youth my neighbors never use" - well, that and virtually the entire final stanza. It really tied the poem together for me and made a very strong finale.

Kudos, as usual :)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 5688
Reviews: 254

Donate
Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:35 am
BFG wrote a review...



Good, as always. I loved the imagery, particularly at the beginning. The only parts I really didn't like were the bits where it talked about a 'we'; I had a clear sense of the narrator, and of the boy, but not together. I guess maybe because the narrator was an observer and so much buried inside his own thoughts and emotions. Perhaps that was what you were getting at. Anyway the lines

I recgonize a little of me has rubbed off on him,


and

What we have most in common is our enemy, sleep.


seemed very clunky. I have no idea who this 'we' is, and it doesn't seem right to have two characters that are very vividly conveyed and one that just appears in two lines and is left lost and bereft of personality, as 'we' is.




User avatar
402 Reviews


Points: 1586
Reviews: 402

Donate
Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:18 am
Wiggy wrote a review...



I'm guessing this meant something about lost youth? I think the images of bugs and newts and such was overused too much, but then again, it helped keep the poem on an understandable level. ;) You always do manage to surprise me, Incan-just try to make the stanzas clearer by using clearer language (sorry about the redundancy), and you should be good to go!




User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 24

Donate
Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:05 am
Jess_14 says...



This poem was too abstract and that made it hard to read, so I think you need to simple it a bit and try to get your point across more clearly, because I am left at a loss of understanding of the meaning in this poem.




User avatar
688 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 688

Donate
Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:45 pm
xanthan gum says...



You overuse excess imagery, especially in the first stanza, and I don't think it helps the poem at all but just makes it thicker to wade through.





If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson