A Luna Corman Novel, 1.1

by bubblegum

This is something new I started, and I would love to know what you think of it. Is it any good? Bad? Please tell me. Thanks.

______________________ edited version.

"Remember," he said. "Once you've got it, you run like hell. Don't even bother to lock the door. I know it might take a while to pick the lock in the first place, but it doesn't matter. You know you have to do this, and you can't fail. You know what happens to the ones that fail." He looked at me with a questioning look, but I could also see concern. Tyrone was like that. He hated this, but he did it anyway. I think it is because he was afraid of what might happen to him if he didn't, even though that was not what he told us.

"Yeah, yeah," I waved a hand in front of him to make him shut up. "I remember everything. This must be the hundredth time you have told me the exact same thing. Seriously, Tye, once is enough. And maybe even that would have been one time too many," I said, rolling my eyes. He thought I was child. Well, maybe I was a few years younger than him, but I was not a child. I was a teenager. A tough one too.

"It could be that you had forgotten," he tried, but I just unbuckled my seatbelt and stepped out of the car. He rolled down the window, leaning over the seat I had just sat in. "Be careful." Then he drove away. If he could, I knew he would have parked the car in front of the house, keeping an eye on me. This was after all my first assignment. Or as they called it, my first mission.

At first I just stood there, freezing in my thin summer jacket. I had asked them for money to buy a new, warmer one, but I hadn't gotten it yet. It was already mid september and the air was cold in the late evening. I guess it didn't matter, because soon I would be inside that house, looking for some kind of a watch.

I got a good look at the house as I walked towards the front door. It was bigger than the average house, but too small to call it a mansion. It was stunning, though. The colour of the house was a dark shade of gray and the tail on the roof was black. It reminded me of a small castle, with its few windows and a huge garden in front of it. There weren't many flowers in it, but I had to admit that it was still utterly beautiful.

I wondered if the neighbors would notice me standing here, picking the lock to a stranger's house. It didn't take long before I stood in the hall safely with the door closed behind me. I breathed a sigh of relief as I walked further into the house. Just as the outside it was stunning.

The first room I came to was the kitchen, which was all white. It looked a lot like a hospital. The only thing missing was the bed. I hurried out of there. I hated hospital, especially after they brought me to GIC, which was short for Graham Investigation Company. Well, I wouldn't exactly called it an investigation company, because we didn't actually investigate anything. We steal evidence from the bad guys. That's what we do.

No one knew about the company except for the members , so there wouldn't be any misunderstandings about the name after all. At least that was what they told me the first time I got there. If I told anyone about them, they would have to kill me. Not only me, but everyone who knew about it that wasn't already a member of the company.

The next room was the livingroom and it was bigger than our whole apartment. It looked a lot like any other livingroom, so I decided that there wouldn't be any watch here either. I mean, who would hide evidence in their livingroom where everyone could see it? Exactly.

I didn't even bother looking for the bathroom, because I already knew that the watch must be in the bedroom. The bedroom was on the second floor. First door on the left. If it wasn't for the king sized bed I would have walked past it. The room was empty except for this huge bed, like rooms where someone had just moved in.

Inside the room I found a closet big enough for the whole company to fit into. From the hall you couldn't even see it. I hurried into the room to go through it. It had to be in here. If I had evidence to a murder, I would have hidden it some place safe. My bedroom was safe. No one would come in there, because I had told them to stay the hell away. This must be where the watch was hidden.

As I opened the door to the closet, I heard another door being opened. Before I could think of anything else, I jumped inside the closet. What the hell were they thinking? Sending me into a house when someone was home. If someone found me now, I would be dead before I could blink. All I had to do was stay hidden until it was safe to come out.

bubblegum says...

Thank you, both. That really helped, Other One. : )

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:42 pm
theotherone wrote a review...

Hello Bubble, I'm here as requested!

I'll begin with the nitpicks and then go on with my overall impression of your novel. :)

He hated this, but he #FF0000 ">did it anyway. I think it is because he #FF0000 ">was afraid of what might happen to him if #FF0000 ">he #FF0000 ">didn't, even though that#FF0000 "> was not what he #FF0000 ">told us.

First off, you switch from past to present tense... Sometimes, it's okay, but I'd rather you stick with one so it's less confusing for us.
Seriously, Tye, once #FF0000 ">is enough.

Since it's in the dialogue, you can talk in present tense. :)
He rolled down the window, leaning over the seat I had just #FF0000 ">sat in. "Be careful." Then he drove away. If he could, I knew he would have parked the car in front of the house, keeping and #FF0000 ">eye on me.

There #FF0000 ">weren't many flowers in it, but I #FF0000 ">had to admit that it was still utterly beautiful.

I wondered if the neighbors would notice me standing here #FF0000 ">comma, picking the lock to a stranger's house.

No one #FF0000 ">knew about the company except for the #FF0000 ">members , so there #FF0000 ">wouldn't be any misunderstandings about the name after all. At least that #FF0000 ">was what they told me the first time I got there.

If it wasn't for the king sized bed I would have walked past it.

Why would she/he walk right pass it? Does it look like an office, or something else? Explain why.
This must be where the watch #FF0000 ">was hidden.

Before I could think of anything else #FF0000 ">comma, I jumped inside the closet.

I liked this chapter. :) Your only problem seems to be the verb tenses so you might want to check that out... There's no tips for that or anything, just make sure to read your work again, like a week after you've wrote it, and keep an eye out for your verbs... Hope it helped!

Keep up the great work! :)

-Other One

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:29 pm
Soulkana wrote a review...

Hmm this is very interesting and leaves me many questions like What will happen next? Good plot and it seemed to run smoothly as far as I can tell...lol. Anyways I want to say awesome job and I can't wait for chapter 2? Anyways haha Amazing work and keep it up!!! Good luck and Happy Writing!!!!!!!!!!
Soulkana<3

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.