In My Head chap 2

by break~my~heart

here's part 2 :) I think this one is a little bit longer though

***

I smiled sweetly. "Why, you're so welcome, Mae! It's so nice to see you again too!"

"Don't call me that. You make me sound like I was born two centuries ago," she whined, crumpling up an empty grocery bag and tossing it at my head. I ducked, and it landed on my broken glass. I had forgotten about that- Oops. Well, I'd just get it later. Right now I needed to think of some believable excuse to go to my room- I had to talk to Zane again. To get some answers! And if I didn't hurry, he might leave for heaven or something- you never know with ghosts; I snickered at the idea.

"Maitlin! I re-use those!" Mom said, marching into the living room to retrieve it. She looked left then right. "Where'd it go?"

"Right here." I bent down and picked it up, holding it out to her. But her soft, brown-eyed gaze was locked on the pile of glass at my feet. I shifted my suede cowboy boots nervously.

"Um, yeah, sorry about that one... I got distracted, and-" I started. Mom rolled her eyes and pursed her lips. "Oh, I don't care about the glass. I got the whole set for eight bucks at Target- Easter sale." She winked.

I grinned.

"But why," she continued, "didn't you just clean it up? And turn on some lights for goodness sakes! Honestly, Vivi, you are so scatterbrained." She sighed and shook her bobbed, auburn head slowly, a smiled twitching at the corners of her thin mouth.

"Sorry, Ma, I got... sidetracked."

"Maitlin, bring me the vacuum, please!" she called loudly getting down on her knees and picking up the big pieces of glass. I stood up to shut the front door that they had left open in their rush inside. Gingerly making my way across the room, I saw Maitlin standing in the doorway, DustBuster in hand, gaping. Drama queen.

"What happened this time?"

"Nothing. I tripped," I replied cooly.

"Geez, you are such a clutz." She handed the mini-vac to Ma.

I crossed the room again and switched on a lamp. "Thanks, I'll add that to the list," I said dryly. Mom sighed. "You girls never seem to stop."

"Sorry, Ma," I said quietly. I hated seeing her stressed- that was a lot lately.

"Well, I'm going to my room. I've got some homework to do," Maitlin announced. She swayed her hips all the way down the hall so widely from the left to the right, then back, I'm surprised she didn't fall over. I watched her disappear into her bedroom, then turned to Ma.

"Want some help?" I asked, regretting it immediately, and hoping she would refuse my offer.

"No, I'm fine. You have homework, you should probably get it done before your dad gets home. You know how he likes everyone to be at the dinner table on time," she grunted. Relief and excitement both flooded through me, and I didn't press her. "Okay. Well, then, I guess I'll go now." My stomach jumped with anticipation, and I tried to conceal it as best I could by shuffling down the same path as Mae. But I turned opposite, to my room. Maybe now I could pick up my conversation with him.

Safely inside my room, I sat at the edge of my bed awkwardly, my eagerness replaced with worry. How should I act now? It felt kind of weird being with him, and the realness of the whole ordeal finally hit me. I had been feeling as if I were in a dream, not really taking it seriously. Now that I realized this, I began to question myself; but then, my attention was drawn to the corner of my small room.

I didn't know how he had gotten in, but I knew he was there by the way the papers on my desk were being lifted into the air and rustled through. The sight somewhat reassured me of my sanity and I began to worry again; and I hoped sincerely that I didn't embarrass myself. I just didn't know what to say; should I start talking, or wait for him to say something?

Finally, I blurted,"You know, just because you're dead doesn't mean you can just go through other people's stuff."

Instantly, guilt flooded through me, and my cheeks flamed. When had I become so cold? This guy just lost his life, and I'm griping about papers! They fluttered back to my desk, though.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean that," I muttered staring into my lap. No need to worry now, Vivi. Mission accomplished.

"I died?" he asked abruptly. His reply just about shocked the socks off me. It was not the easy going "s'kay" I had been expecting. He must have come over and sat down beside me, because my white, fluffy comforter sank down flat. I thought this was extremely cool, but didn't say so.

"Y- you didn't know?" I whispered, feeling my eyes grow wide. My face was still hot, and I struggled to overlook my embarrassment.

"I really did die?" he repeated, his low voice cracking.

I cleared my throat. "W-well, if you are who I think you are, then yeah, you did die... I'm sorry."

And then I saw him. Like really, really saw him sitting there on my bed beside me. He had materialized, just like that. His hands were clasped together and hung down between his baggy shorts-clad legs. He was slumped over and staring into the floor, looking more depressed than I've ever seen him to be. It felt weird seeing him without his usual sloppy grin. Of course, that smile was never meant for me. In fact, I don't think he ever even noticed me. But then again, he had said I looked familiar....

I peeked at him again. Even seeing him so helpless and exposed made my heart race and my head spin. My stomach jumped, and it felt like there was a spark behind my belly button. My hands started getting clammy and I got really hot. And then my mouth started twitching- just the corner. It always did.

Well, only when I was around Zane.

But seeing him like that? It tore me apart. I wanted to reassure him that everything was okay, always would be. I wanted to tell him it was just a sick joke, he wasn't dead. I wanted to hold him, touch him.

Just as I was about to, once again, offer him my condolences, he turned to me, his eyes wide.

"How did I die?" he whispered. His eyebrows knit together, and he tilted his head to the left just barely. So cute...

I hated the words that came out of my mouth next. I wanted to tell him how, to at least give him that much. Instead, I gazed into his eyes (ahhh) and knitted my own eyebrows together.

"I.. don't know. Nobody does. I'm really sorry," I admitted softly.

And just like that, he was gone.

***

EDITED!! not much better, though. ah well :D

Pippiedooda says...

:D I think you have edited well again here! I liked the inclusion at the beginning of her wanting to get back to her room :) Just a few tiny nitpicks! ^^

a smiled twitching at the corners of her thin mouth.

I think 'smiled' should be 'smile' here :)

Mom rolled her eyes and pursed her lips. "Oh, I don't care about the glass. I got the whole set for eight bucks at Target- Easter sale." She winked.

Mom sighed. "You girls never seem to stop."

"Okay. Well, then, I guess I'll go now." My stomach jumped with anticipation, and I tried to conceal it as best I could by shuffling down the same path as Mae.

With these three bits of speech I think they need to be on a new line as they are a new person talking :)

My hands started getting clammy and I got really hot.

I think you could rewrite this a little bit to leave out 'getting' and 'got' as I think they could be phrased better here, maybe something like 'My hands were becoming clammy and I could feel myself heating up.'

I loved the improvements and can't wait for the next part! :D *Star*

Pippiedooda wrote a review...

Hi again :D Nice cliffhanger! This story has me more and more interested, I hope you carry on with it :)

"Why, you're so welcome, Mae! It's so nice to finally see you too!"

I'm sure she has seen her before so maybe something like 'It's so nice to see you again too!' as otherwise it sounds as if she has never met her.

I had forgotten about that. Oops. well, I'd just get it later.

'well' should have a capital 'w' and I'd maybe move 'Oops' to the beginning of this with a comma or a dash to separate it from 'I had forgotten' so that its her initial reaction :)

But her gaze was locked on the pile of glass at my feet. I shifted them nervously.

When I first read this I wasn't sure what 'them' was as it sounds like it could be the pile of glass, maybe instead you could say something about shifting in her seat?

I got up and shut the front door. On my way across the room, I saw Maitlin standing in the doorway, DustBuster in hand, gaping.

Was the front door left open? I hadn't noticed this so maybe you could add something about it letting in a draft or it being left open after her mothers and sisters interrupting entrance. As you are talking about what happens as she goes to shut the front door, maybe saying that she got up to shut the front door would be better, otherwise you are jumping ahead. If you are talking about her walk back then maybe add in 'back' before 'across' :) Also I'm not that keen on 'got'- It doesn't show much of how they move so sometimes the use of it annoys me :P perhaps saying that she stood up from her seat or talking about how she stepped carefully over the glass would be better to create more of an image? I didn't really understand why Maitlin would be gaping- it's not that shocking to drop a glass, maybe a toned down reaction like with one eyebrow raised would be more appropriate.

I crossed the room and switched on a lamp.

She's already crossed the room :? is she going somewhere else now? Maybe just saying that she switched on a lamp would be better.

I hated seeing her stressed. That was a lot lately.

Instead of 'That was', maybe 'which happened to be' or something like that would fit better, you could perhaps join these two sentence as well, possible with a dash in between them :)

She swayed her hips all the way down the hall so hard I'm surprised she didn't fall over.

I'm not sure about saying 'so hard', maybe something like 'so widely back and forth' as it's really odd to think of someone swaying their hips forcefully lol :P

Maybe now I could pick up my conversation with It.

You refer to him as him later on so I'm not sure about using 'It' here- I'd just stick with him or something like that.

I knew he was there by the way the papers on my desk were moving on their own.

How are they moving? When I read this I kind of thought of them floating around but I think it would me more of a rustling of them as he flicks through them, maybe describing the movement would be good here.

"I died?" he said abruptly.

As it's a question, 'asked' might be better here than 'said'.

I thought this was extremely cool, but didn't say so.

I like this sentence! :P It made me smile, I think its fine on it's own but you could always add 'think it was the right time to' after 'but didn't' or something like that :)

I whispered, feeling my eyes going wide.

To me, 'my eyes widening' sounds better, just my opinion though.

Even seeing him so pitifully looking made my heart race and my head spin.

I think it should be 'pitiful looking', I think you could maybe replace it with something better though like 'vulnerable' or something like that.

It always did.
Well, only when I was around Zane.

You could always join these two sentences with a dash.

Overall: I enjoyed how you have continued! :D The ending was a great cliffhanger, I really want to read on!!

Like before, I think there could be more explanation with how they know one another- although you have revealed a bit more in that she believes he never notices her. Which of course makes me wonder why he is at her house but I'm sure that will all be explained :P I love the expressions you show when they are speaking and the main characters feelings, the scene that I think more could be added to would be with the mother and sister. I haven't got much of an image of them so a little bit every now and then might be nice. I got about the mums thin lips but I think a couple more descriptions added in similarly to that would be good.

I would also think that she would be desperate to go back to find out about the ghost- perhaps adding in more about her thoughts and how much she wanted to go to her room would help, so far she seems pretty calm about it all but I would think that she would be a lot more shocked and excited. Also, he obviously makes an impression when he touched things- wouldn't the bedroom door have opened when he entered her room? Unless it is optional? I think you could maybe explain a bit there or just mention the main character wondering about it :)

I hope you carry on with this, its good so far! All my comments are just suggestions, Hope I've helped! :D

We are discreet sheep; we wait to see how the drove is going, and then go with the drove.