Sine Nonime (fancy latin for it doesn't have one) 1.0

by bookworm201

Be forewarned- some of the sentences are long, and I used a lot of paretheses. The grammar is as if the narrator was speaking, not writing. I expect you to be brutal, and brutally honest.

You know in the movies, or cheesy teen novels, when the girl (it’s always the girl), screws up her life royally (that phrase brings to mind a certain series that should have stopped ten books earlier) and “falls in love” with the wrong guy, but in the end, the right guy, the guy that has been there the whole time, secretly in love with her and ever-so-supportive of her many, many screw-ups, saves her ass and they live happily ever after (or at least until prom)? That’s my life- except he didn’t save my ass, and while I was busy reconciling with my friends, he was getting over me- and falling in love with her. So now, I’ve gotta watch them suck face at lunch every day, and act happy. I can’t tell anybody about it, because they won’t understand. They’ll say that it was my fault. It is. I know that. How does telling me that help me? I see what I did wrong, now I want to fix it. But it’s easier said than done.

What did I do to fall from grace? It’s cliché, but don’t laugh- I got sucked in by the popular crowd. The queen bee grew tired of her new pet/toy/minion, and the Crowd spit me back out. And he stuck by me the entire time. Who does that? I was a bitch, and he was there. Is here.

When I told my plan to Angela, she laughed. And then she swore hard enough that if her parents had walked in that moment, she would be worse than dead. If that makes no sense, I should mention she was drinking school milk at the time.

“You’re kidding,” she said when she had gotten all the milk out of her nose. “This is reverse déjà vu. All those years he wanted you, and you saw him as a brother. Now you want him? My life has come to a complete circle. That’s the meaning of life right there, folks.” She put her hands up as if she was pleading to a higher authority.

“Shush. They’re coming this way.” My group is basically seven people- me, Angela, Sean, Gabby, Derek, him, and her. This year, by sheer luck, in an act of nature that never happens in real life, a record, never to be repeated, we all have the same lunch. Yeah, we have it seventh period, so it’s so late the hydrochloric acid in our stomachs has worn through the mucus and is tearing at the lining, giving us ulcers (I’m sorry, I can’t help it, I had health last period), but we have it together for the first time in years. Angie and I have our sixth periods close, while everyone else is across the universe, so we hit the table first. I had hoped to talk about the plan in detail, but that was thwarted. I’d have to wait until later.

My friends are an obnoxious group, the kind that doesn’t really care what you think. We have each other, what need have we for anything else? That’s what made the betrayal even worse. I left without notice- I wasn’t a drifter who shuts the door quietly after a long time; so long, we don’t hear it close. I was a slammer- quick and anything but painless. They filled my spot with her. Now I want it back. You can’t fit seven at this table.

bookworm201 says...

Yeah, I thought it was stupid, but I needed a second opinion. I'll probably pull this out in a few years and fix it, but right now, this was just a whim. Thanks for being honest.

Oh, and at my school, we have 9 periods and lunch 5 through 7, so I guess it just depends.

Thanks anyway.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:04 am
Kiss In The Rain wrote a review...

I must say, I disagree with BM. It doesn't really seem all that cliche. I mean, of course there is the "I'LL GET REVENGE!" thing going on, but you do it in a cool way. The narrative. It isn't bad. As long as you make it creatively your own, you'll do fine! :)

There were a few things that I caught...

She put her hands up as if she pleading to a higher authority.

As if she was pleading? Either add the "was" or cut the "she"

My group is basically seven people- me, Angela, Sean, Gabby, Derek, him, and her.

The only part I like about this sentence is "him, and her." It gives us a mystery, and I like that. Why I don't like this sentence, is because writers who list things annoy the heck out of me. "First we do this and this and this." "Later...." You know? And besides "My group is basically seven people..." what kind of a sentence starter is that? it's just lame. :) Sorry for the sorta harshness.

Yeah, we have it seventh period, so it’s so late the hydrochloric acid in our stomachs has worn through the mucus and is tearing at the lining, giving us ulcers (I’m sorry, I can’t help it, I had health last period), but we have it together for the first time in years.

Your characters have lunch sevent period? How long are the classes? Normally lunch is like fifth or sixth period. I don't know. The seventh period thing seems unlikely.

Other than those few little things, great job!

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:18 am
BlackMirror wrote a review...

Gag me with a spoon! I enjoyed your the p.o.v you used but to be brutally honest I couldn't stand your story. Your intro was pretty good, but after reading the rest I got the dangerous tween vibe. Smart and funny MC vs. a dumb and bitchy enemy. This could be a good story but stay away from the cliches in most books targeted towards girls today and find a way to tell the story in a more creative way.

Laters

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
— John Cage