z

Young Writers Society


12+

MINTER - Zero

by bmnovelist


October 10 2011, Thanksgiving Day

I'm sitting at the small round table with Ma. Daddy is outside bringing in some veggies he bought from the Chinese restaurant in town. Ma set the table today. She always does for thanksgiving. In front of me sits a plate with a plastic fork and knife on top. They are the ones that are made silver to look like they are metal, but really they are just plastic. Wow! We never use those. Only if it's a special special special occasion.

The turkey is on the table too. It's only a baby. Ma said the big ones are too big. It smells very good though. I love Thanksgiving. Ma made potatoes too, which were sitting on the same plate as the turkey. Those are also little baby potatoes. Ma thinks they're cuter than the big ones.

"Hey, Monkey!" Daddy says as he comes into the kitchen. "Hi, Honey," he says and gives Ma a kiss on the cheek. She smiles for a split second and watches as he sets the Styrofoam package of veggies on the table. He sits down on the chair to my left; Mommy is on my right. We link hands in prayer. Mommy starts, "Dear Lord, my savior, I pray to you today to thank you for this day's dinner. I thank you for this turkey that we will eat tonight, and I thank you for my family that I am more than grateful to have. Thank you for my beautiful girl, and thank you for choosing me to parent her. In Jesus' name, Amen."

I grab my plastic fork and knife off my plate and grip them in my hands. Dad starts to carve the turkey, and Ma starts to open the veggie container. "Broccoli?" She asks me, though she already knows the answer. I always want broccoli. Dad places two pieces of white meat on my plate, and Mom hands me three small potatoes.

"Mmmmm." I say as I start to dig in.

It's quiet at first. Only the sounds of chewing and swallowing. But then Mom tells me gently to chew with my mouth closed. After that, all I can do is sit and listen.

"Don't give her such a hard time," Dad objects, "She's only trying to eat."

"I just think that she should have some manners. She's eleven now. She's a big girl. Big girls are polite. Big girls have good manners, right Honey?" She turns to me with a gentle loving smile, her eyes filled with sorry. But what she's sorry for, I can't tell.

"Don't criticize her. She's fine the way she is."

I don't realize he's standing until Mom tells him to sit.

"You're fine the way you are, aren't you Monkey?" I don't answer him. "Say something!"

"Mark, stop. You're scaring her."

His mouth turns into an ugly smear on his face as he tells Mama to get up. Mom hesitates and looks at me as she slowly stands up. She mouths I'm so sorry before turning back to look at Dad. He grabs her waist and pulls her close to him by the waist. He mumbles something in her ear that I can't hear, and she struggles to pull away from his grip. I'm already out of my seat running for the door when I hear the sound. It's a sound that surprises me, but I know what it is. He hit her, hard. I'm running faster and faster. My hands hit the door and it pushes open. I run and push myself over the fence outlining our trailer's backyard. In front of me there's nothing but a field of frost coated grass. I run for the trees marking the horizon. The sun is just over their tops, and I can see the light peeking out from holes in the branches. I run, and keep running. I know he's behind me, I can hear him.

"No, baby! Wait! Come back here!"

I run until I can't anymore, and I feel his strong hands on me as I'm pulled back to him. His hand is over my mouth before I can scream, and I see the pink of the sunset, and then it's dark. Very very dark.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 48
Reviews: 30

Donate
Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:10 pm
Swavvy123 wrote a review...



Hi!
Okay, I must say you've got a really good story here.
We can understand what it's like to live in a traditional home and we also see what it's like to experience domestic violence. I like the choice of words, the imagery and the description. You were very descriptive in this which I feel helps us get better understanding of the scenario.
However, I feel like the story developed too quickly. The transition from a happy family dinner to the dad beating the mum was too quick for me and there wasn't enough build up before he hit her. If he was drunk, how did he get drunk so fast? Usually there would be signs that he was drunk like saying a lot of rubbish, burping, maybe grabbing at her mum inappriopriately etc Also, when he's about to hit her mum, He would say some bad words or something. Maybe you could describe his expressions more e.g bloodshot eyes, hands balled into fists etc and also some of the girl's thoughts e.g "Oh no, oh no, oh no." or she could think "He's about to hit her" etc Also, there are a few missing punctuation but nothing too glaring.
I am excited to read more of what you've got going here.




bmnovelist says...


Dear Swavvy123,

Thank you for the review! I've been notified several times about the "drunk so fast" and "quick transition" and I agree it's definitely something to fix. I'm hoping to finish an edited draft before this month's end.

I think a good thing for me to do is to have him slurring and staggering when he comes into the room and he pours himself a drink. When she tells him it's a bad idea, they begin a conversation which leads into a fight. I think this is a better path.

The edited chapter will be under "MINTER - Zero (Edited Verson)" if you would be so kind to keep your eye out for it in the green room this month.

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
bmnovelist



User avatar


Points: 48
Reviews: 4

Donate
Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:53 am
20JPorter wrote a review...



This is a unique story that helps you understand abuse from a different perspective, from an eleven-year old's perspective with limited understanding. It also helps people who have had the privilege of not having to live in a trailer with little money understand being in the lower-class. I have spent very little time- actually, no time near someone who was drunk, but I don't think they would have suddenly acted drunk Then again, the girl may not realize that her Dad was drunk and may think that her Dad's actions were normal. Also, her Dad appears to have driven to the Chinese Resturant drunk, and should have been arrested or been killed in a wreck by now.




bmnovelist says...


Dear 20JPorter,

Thank you. I hadn't looked at it that way. Thank you for the insight! I'll be sure to keep it in mind when I do my editing! (This is a before editing chapter/first draft.)

Sincerely,
bmnovelist



User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 133
Reviews: 45

Donate
Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:50 pm
Pentavalence wrote a review...



Hey, Pentavalence here with a review.

This is an interesting story. It's got dark themes, but it's also from an eleven-year-old's point of view, and she might not be able to fully comprehend what's happening. However, here are a few things you might want to fix:

There were a bunch of unnecessary details (Dad places two pieces of white meat, Mom hands me three small potatoes), and a couple of typos (missing commas, etc.).

Also, you marked this as Romantic/Teen Fiction? It may develop like that later, but right now I'm seeing something closer to Drama/Family.

Why would the Dad hit her over something as simple as table manners? I mean, he's obviously meant to be unstable, but he seems sober, and why would this put him over the edge? I would like to see more backstory with him.

Not bad, all in all.

-Penta




bmnovelist says...


Dear Pentavalence,

Thank you for the review! I've received other feedback about the "suddenness of the dad's actions." I will make sure to balance that when I make an edited second draft.

Concerning the "two meat ... three potatoes," it's supposed to give a sort of perspective on how little she is actually being given to eat. But, I'll try to make those details smoother and found more necessary.

I haven't thought of the genre. But now as you've pointed it out I realize it would be a better idea to have it marked otherwise.

Thank you for your feedback!
Very helpful notes!

Sincerely,
bmnovelist.




We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
— Arthur O'Shaughnessy