z

Young Writers Society


16+

Rivers and Being Known

by bloom3544


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

She was the kind of girl to walk into rivers without a thought. 

That’s cliche, but it’s true because I watched her do it. She smiled the entire time and didn’t mention the temperature, just pushed on until she was in the middle of it. That’s how we met; me, walking through the forest and hiding behind trees, and her, wading into rivers without a swimsuit, looking more at peace with every step she took.

I didn’t know her then. I didn’t know about her job at the movie theatre, or that she was majoring in biology, or that the water was her place, above her bed or her mother’s home or the kitchen of the diner she grew up in. Those places, for her, are marred by memories of hands and whispers and money exchanged, of lights and laughing men who didn’t care for anything more than her body. I didn’t know her then, but I do now.

I know her in the way that I know she’s allergic to peonies but loves them still. In the tapping of morse code throughout our apartment and in the way I turn down certain types of music before she can reach for the dial, I catch myself living in her soul. I know her as I buy her paintings that remind me of the ocean, as I recite her sandwich order by heart, and as I pop my head into our study to ask if she wants to go to the pool again.

She’s sitting next to me as I type this, tapping I Love You into my leg as the TV plays our show, and I understand I’m known as well. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 6713
Reviews: 130

Donate
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:54 am
View Likes
Stellarjay says...



This is so adorable! It made my heart melt!




User avatar
465 Reviews


Points: 29825
Reviews: 465

Donate
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:31 pm
View Likes
starlitmind wrote a review...



Hey there, welcome to YWS! I hope you are liking it so far :)
This is a really cute story! The title was intriguing; I wasn't sure what to expect from it, and I ended up finding a sweet little story. I have a few things I'd like to point out, if you don't mind. If you weren't looking for a review and just wanted to have an appreciation post like you said below, please ignore my review below! If you were looking for feedback, then feel free to read my review below :)

In the beginning, you used two different tenses. "She’s the kind of girl ..." present tense. "...because I watched her do it." and past tense. I recommend picking one tense and going back to make sure all your verbs are in the same tense.

"That’s how we met; me, walking through the forest and hiding behind trees, and her. Wading into rivers without a swimsuit, looking more at peace for every step she took."
I think the second sentence should be combined with the first, so it would read "That’s how we met; me, walking through the forest and hiding behind trees, and her, wading into rivers without a swimsuit, looking more at peace for every step she took." The second sentence is not a sentence by itself. Also, instead of sating "looking more at peace for every step she took" it'd make more sense if you said "looking more at peace with every step she took."

"I didn’t know her, then, but I do now."
I don't think you need a comma after "her"

I love the last sentence. It's a nice way to finish off the story.
Overall, this is a really lovely piece! I enjoyed reading it, and I hope it was helpful. I hope you enjoy YWS!




bloom3544 says...


Thank you for reviewing! I'll definitely use that feedback, I really appreciate it.



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 2406
Reviews: 43

Donate
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:24 am
View Likes
Cow wrote a review...



Howdy! I'm here to review, and am rather intrigued by what you have here! Short stories are always intriguing.

I have a boyfriend, almost three years in August. Things just warms my heart, dear Bloom. It's so sweet, it's starts with how you viewed the girl or woman or person, how you first saw her. It's entrapping and it just gives this wholesome vibe the whole way through.

You worry it may end badly but by the end, you have got a smile on your face. It's so wholesome, so sweet. I do hope you both enjoy your show!

The tapping is something I plan on doing with my boyfriend since we both struggle with verbal communication sometimes. It's so nice to be understood by another, isn't it? It's nice to have someone to talk to, to just plainly exist with.

I don't really feel right pointing out issues, since this seems more like an appreciation for the person you love, just wanting to let people know about it, you get it? So I'll be leaving you free of that for now!

I wish you the best of luck! <3

- Cow




bloom3544 says...


Hi! Thank you so much for reading, I honestly didn't think anyone would.

Although this story isn't real, I did have a person in mind while writing it, and they mean a whole lot to me. They truly make me feel known and a lot of aspects of our relationship are found here. I didn't intend it to, but like you said, it really did turn into an appreciation post for them.

Again, thank you! <3



Cow says...


Of course, of course! Feel free to tag me in anything in the future! I have some short stories and a novel if you want something longer to review. : )




Just think happy thoughts and you'll fly.
— Peter Pan