Magius Trilogy I - The Black Emerald - Chapter III

by blackpencil

Chapter III: New Students

In front of them was a large, sweeping lawn. The students themselves were standing in a stone circle carved with the same runes from the portal back in Mahamiko. A little ways in front of them stood an incredible castle, bigger than anything Kirthin had ever seen

"This way, please," said Sonokara, leading them onto a stone path.

"These are the grounds of the Academy. I must warn you now, please do not venture into the Endless Forest surrounding them, for it has that name for a reason and is filled with creatures that can inflict your death in many different and most painful ways." She smiled again. "It would be a shame to lose any of you."

The path wound around a gleaming fountain carved from white marble. Kirthin saw that the words CAPR DE AGRA MEUM were carved into the base. He slowed a little and peered inside. The crystal clear water seemed endless, going on and on until the light could no longer penetrate it and it became utter blackness.

Sonokara approached the doors of the castle and rapped on them several times. They swung open slowly. A magnificent hall was revealed before the students. The floor seemed to be made of water, but when Kirthin stepped onto it, he realized there was a coating of glass, several inches thick, so clear it seemed invisible. The water was alive with glowing rocks and strange fish Kirthin had never seen before.

The ceiling stretched endlessly on, glistening with the constellations of the universe. The images were bewitched to seem alive. A diamond knight on his starry horse saluted the students as they walked by.

The walls were the same black granite as the walls back at the portal in Mahamiko, and covered in strange gold writing. On them hung many portraits of wise looking old men and women.

"This is the Great Hall. I see some of you are very impressed with the display. The pictures you see here are the headmasters and headmistresses of years past," said Sonokara.

She proceeded to tour them all over the castle, showing them classrooms and the library and such. Finally she led them toward a massive pair of golden doors. "In here is the banquet hall," she said. "This is where you will eat your meals and receive daily announcements."

Sonokara gestured toward a girl dressed in gold and black robes. "Minrova! Can you please escort the girls to their dormitories?" she called.

"Of course, Master," Minrova said, bowing. She motioned for the girls to follow her toward a staircase on the right. Someone bumped into Kirthin as they passed.

"Hey watch where you're-" he started. Then he saw who bumped him. The girl was very pretty. Short golden hair framed her soft features perfectly, and her eyes, the colour of a mountain brook in spring, sparkled with enthusiasm. Kirthin was literally rendered breathless for a moment.

"Sorry!" she called back, being carried off by the crowd. Ilthan nudged Kirthin slyly. "Knock it off..." Kirthin muttered.

"Now if the boys will follow me to your dormitories, and I believe it is needless to say that you will not be allowed in girls' dorms, or vice versa," said Sonokara. A few people laughed. She led them to a staircase on the left.

Soon an attendant dressed in the same black and gold robes as the girl Minrova had shown Kirthin to his dorm. By a stroke of luck, he and Ilthan were to share a room.

When Kirthin entered the room he found it strangely old-fashioned compared to the magnificent castle. The floors were wood, and so were the four large four-poster beds that stood on either side. A fire was crackling merrily in a brick fireplace at the back of the room. Two small meals lay steaming on a humble little wooden table. Kirthin's stomach growled in anticipation.

"You are to change into these immediately after you finish your dinners," said the attendant, handing them both some plain white robes.

"There are four beds here," Ilthan pointed out. "Are we sharing a room with anyone else?"

"We were informed of some... late arrivals," replied the attendant. "And yes, two are staying in this room. Now please, change into your robes." And then he left, closing the door behind him.

After eating, Kirthin stripped of his other clothes and put on the oversize robes he had been given. They then began to shape themselves to fit him perfectly until they were extremely comfortable. The colours of the robes then began the change. They changed slowly from plain white to dull red and orange. He looked up at Ilthan in surprise. He saw that his robes were also changing colour. They were now pale green and brown.

"Amazing..." muttered Ilthan.

There was a knock at the door. "Yes?" asked Kirthin loudly.

"You new students done in there?" came the voice of the attendant. "I've just been given your time tables. May I enter?"

"Yes, come in," replied Kirthin, motioning for Ilthan to throw his hood up to hide his elf ears.

The attendant entered the room holding two pieces of paper. He grinned when he saw Kirthin.

"Ah, excellent. Another Inferius. I was an Inferius when I attended here, too," he said.

"Oh, but of course you have no idea what I mean!" he said, judging the bewildered look on Kirthin's face. "Inferius is the name of your house. The houses are named after the four elements of nature: fire, earth, air and water. So the houses would be Inferius, the House of Flame, which is our house. Your friend here belongs to Marl, the House of Earth. The other two houses are Aquaus, the House of the Sea, and Zephyr, the House of Wind."

"Right. Are there any point of these houses? Will I be only learning how to use fire?" asked Kirthin.

"Oh, no. It's just what you'll do best at. You will learn how to wield all sorts of magic as you study here. A most mysterious place this castle is, mind you..."

"Mysterious? How so?"

"Well, not mysterious, I guess. More like tricky. Keeps you on your toes."

"Well, what's that supposed to mean?" asked Kirthin, slightly frustrated.

"You'll just have to wait and see," the attendant said slyly. "You might want to look over your time tables before you go to sleep. Good night now!" And then he left.

"Good night?" Kirthin repeated, looking out the window beside his four-poster. He was surprised to see a full moon already hanging high in the inky black sky. He yawned. He realized how tired he was and lay on his exquisitely comfortable bed, falling asleep almost instantly.

"Good night, Kirthin..." said Ilthan sleepily, but Kirthin was already snoring.

********************************

Searle fell to the cold stone floor again, blood trickling from a cut on his lip. The room was dark. He could barely make out the silhouette of the one that knocked him down.

"Come now. Certainly you can do better than that, weakling," said a cold voice. Again Searle launched himself at the shadowy figure with a shout of rage, and again the figure knocked him down.

"Again. And again, and again, and again, until you learn, you little weakling," the cold voice said again. "You will never amount to anything here, otherwise."

Searle summoned his strength and launched his bruised body at the sound of the voice again.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:45 am
Borukadine wrote a review...

I liked the story, well I'am not here to nitpick :cry: I just want to ask a few questions. first of all ( Nice description I really love it, makes you fell like your actually there.

And also, no offense but it kind of sounds like Harry Potter, though I like the hole element thing.

Readers need to now more about your characters like there personality and what makes them set apart from each other especially the main character and his friend they seem kind of bland

Other than that It is a great story you are a really good writer....(Love it :D )

"The day, which was one of the first of spring, cheered even me by the loveliness of its sunshine and the balminess of the air. I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, revive within me. Half surprised by the novelty of these sensations, I allowed myself to be borne away by them, and forgetting my solitude and deformity, dared to be happy."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein