z

Young Writers Society



Civility

by biancarayne


[Written in paragraph form because this is how I start writing a lot...it helps me to just get the idea out first, and then from there edit as necessary, adding more, deleting, separating into stanzas, etc...might be some spelling mistakes, I haven't looked over it yet...I will once I go to edit it though...]

You have peeled me apart. I am the onion peelings, lying unraveled on your smooth, unblemished linoleum. And here is my record; four score and seven years ago is a long time to wait for justice. It's only an abstract idea, justice; that's why I've never gotten it. That's why I've spent my whole life here, to be stepped on 'neath your booted foot. Oh, Confederate, confederate! Your war-cries make me blush- like autumn. I am bleeding all over you now, and I fear the stains won't come off. Does this mean I've come of age? Oh off to war, off to war! Here, we'll bash each other upside the head with sticks to prove how masculine we are! Oh, sorry, I'm incapable of masculinity, aren't I? Damn this cruel, cruel twist of fate. Never mind, here's the cleavage! See? I told you I was onion peelings, there are layers and layers of me, none of which youreye shall ever see. This is the cleavage...I am split. I am split right down the middle, and I'm unsure of which way to go. Call me a border state, if you will, for I'm just hanging in the balance...Damn the confederates, damn the Yankees...Unions never last anyway! This is what's left of me- you have unraveled me anyway, and left me behind. You are off, fighting some war, whilst I am the onion peelings decorating your linoleum...You have gotten to the very core of me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
566 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 566

Donate
Wed May 16, 2007 6:36 pm
miyaviloves says...



It was reallllly good! The onion (Metaphor? I'm terrible with actually seeing the meaning of things) theme through out was original, well thought of.

Keep up the good work!

Meevs
x




User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 117

Donate
Wed May 16, 2007 3:24 am
oregongirl wrote a review...



good description! :) I love this piece! Great job! :D

:elephant:





Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first.
— Mark Twain