Fear

by bethicus2

Fear: A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain etc., whether the threat is real or imagined. Anticipation of the possibility that something unpleasant will occur.

However you choose to define fear, it is a horrible feeling. It consumes your body, making it feel as if you can’t breathe, as if you’re drowning and can’t swim to the surface to gasp in the sweet, peaceful calm that we crave. You feel paralysed, your muscles seem to stop working altogether, and you can’t think straight. Your thoughts race at a million miles per hour, yet you can’t grasp hold of a single one long enough to make sense of it and think of a way to react to the impending danger.

But it’s not always that extreme. Sometimes, just the thought of an event, a person, or an object can induce feelings of fear. It can feel like thick, bubbling liquid pulsing through your veins, making your body feel heavy and slow. It feels like you’re suffocating, but when you try to breathe all you can inhale is thick, humid, foggy air. You feel like you’re falling, spiralling beyond your control, falling until you hit the ground.

I personally am always discovering new fears. Things such as heights and spiders are the bigger ones, but there are other ones, things such as cows and riding motorbikes. But tonight, I realised one of my biggest fears.

I was standing at my bathroom sink washing my hands, when I realised: I’m absolutely terrified of having regrets. I cannot handle the thought of getting to the end of my life, and realising I’m not content with my life and how it played out. I never want to wish that I could do my life over again. I’m so scared of sitting in my rocking chair alone and thinking to myself “I wish I had kissed that boy. I wish I had told my mother that I love her more often. I wish I had told my best friend how much they meant to me.” That thought petrifies me.

I don’t think many people realise that they’re never getting any younger. That they’re the youngest they’re ever going to be. That one day, they’re going to wake up and they’ll be 40, and they won’t remember where all the years went. Heck, even I forget sometimes. But then I remember that I’m only ever getting older, and I feel that suffocating feeling again.

Hi there, yup, fear really is something that's hard to tackle even though people say to face your fear, it's easier said than done isn't it?
I don't think fear ever stops haunting us, it just stays, but we just don't get scared anymore. At least, that's from my point of view. Hope to read more!!

Holysocks wrote a review...

Hello there! How about a review?

Fear is an interesting thing, for sure, and it's an intriguing topic to write about. I think the cool thing about your last fear is that not only is it a pretty huge and terrifying thing to be afraid of, but also, in a way, it knocks your other fears out because you're too terrified to let them bother you. For example, say you're afraid of heights, but you've always wanted to try skydiving. If the one fear out rules the other; you've just crushed one fear, at least! So that really gets me thinking, which is awesome.

At first I was wondering what you were trying to get at, simply writing about fear; pretty well everyone has fear and knows what it feels like- so I was kinda confused. But once I got to the last part, I was pretty surprised! One issue you might find arising with a piece like this is people may not read it to the part where it gets interesting- I'm not trying to say that it's not interesting to fear being described, but sometimes it's just not all that grabbing. I was thinking if you titled this work something a little different, that might help a bit. There's nothing wrong with your current title, but it basically explains the first half of the piece; and leaves out the part that's really the intriguing part. If you titled it something that reflected the regret part more, then there would be a promise of something more. But of course it's up to you.

That they’re the youngest they’re ever going to be.

That's my favourite line! I like that you found a way original way to say the whole "not getting any younger" saying. Awesome~

Keep it up! See you around!

-Socks

Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:34 pm
cleverclogs wrote a review...

Hi there, bethicus2, and welcome to YWS! cleverclogs here to review!

Dang, just reading this story made me feel stressed. All of a sudden, I feel like I'm not doing anything with my life and I should be out feeding hungry children instead of sitting in front of my computer reviewing this piece. XD That's a good thing, though, because it means that you did a good job conveying the emotion to the reader. This was very good, so this will probably be a somewhat short review.

One thing I'd suggest is doing this for the definition at the top:

Fear; noun:

I think that adding the semicolon and the word "noun" makes it seem more like a definition.

But it’s not always that extreme.

I'd recommend starting this sentence with something other than "but", like "however" or something to that effect. This also applies to other sentences that you started with "but". It's not really proper to start a sentence with a conjunction.

That was about all. I can relate to the last paragraph in particular, and I feel stressed when reading it, as I mentioned earlier. It reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes comic I read in which Calvin convinces his dad to give him a piggy-back ride by reminding him that Calvin won't always be small enough to have rides. He says something like, "One day, you'll wake up and I'll be a teenager, and you'll wonder where the days went when you could give me piggy-back rides." So overall, this is very relatable and well-written. I hope that this short review proves useful to you! Keep up the great work!

bethicus2 says...

Thank you, that was really really helpful :) I shall make sure to adjust based on your advice.

Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:24 am
CardDragon wrote a review...

I think this explained some feelings about fear. It gave some brief examples and I believe it could benefit from a personal example of how you encountered fear. I think that this article also leaves open the question of how you conquer your fears. Because majority of this article is talking about a problem without any solution. That's my take on it, good day,
Card Dragon.

"While we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."
— Albus Dumbledore