Home » Literary works » Other » Historical Fiction

Colonial letter

by bellathebookworm

August 24, 1774

Dear Ruth,

I have heard tales of a terrible thing called the Boston Massacre. The most popular story is that many British soldiers shot and killed innocent Bostonians. Some say that the soldiers who shot were being threatened, and justly defended themselves, while others say they shot to kill because they don’t like colonists. It is unclear how many colonists there were. People say anything from 400 to 20. No one seems to know what really happened, but it makes many people angry.

Father complains of the Intolerable Acts incessantly and preaches about the Sons of Liberty even more. He praises the Boston Tea Party with his friends in the parlor. If I question this in front of them, he spanks me and says, “The Tea Act has enraged too many. The Sons of Liberty stood up for us while others cowered like mice. They are brave men, heroes,” and tells me to bring him and his friends more food. My brother told me that the Tea Act gave the British East India Company a monopoly on tea. This does not seem fair. Father does not drink tea any more, and we are not allowed to either. Father and his friends sent a letter to the King, asking him to get rid of the Tea Act that has set Boston aflame.

I was curious about what the men were talking about, and managed to get hold of one of the newspapers my brother prints. Father, by the terms in the paper, is a patriot. A man against the king! I fear for our safety. What if the soldiers find out? Father makes sure the soldiers are gone before his friends come over, but if they come back early we could be arrested for treason. They are not kind men. Mother says they are going to bankrupt us, they eat so much. They eat in one meal what I eat in a day! I wish the king would repeal the Quartering Act so we could be rid of these rude men.

The Intolerable Acts are the worst of all. Father says that they are going to bring us to war. The paper says that the ports of Boston are closed, the Governor’s power increased, and the Quartering Act strengthened. People all over New England are writing to the King. Father is supposed to be going to a meeting in Philadelphia to decide what we will do. He claims the colonies will unite, but I doubt it will happen. Most people do not think we need the other colonies help. They want New England to stand on its own.

I just hope we get out of this safe.

Your friend,

Anna Folsom

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:45 pm
hmcg says...

Alright this is only my second review so I hope it goes well.

I think that instead of saying 400 to 20, you should have said 20-400.

It was a great read and enjoyable.

I didn't notice any grammar or spelling mistakes so good job there!

Although I did notice some run-on sentences, you might want to work on that.

I like how you wrote letters like they did, it made your letter seem very authentic.

The only thing left is to write it out on parchment with a quill pen, send it to Boston and put on some Colonial clothes!

hmcg wrote a review...

It was a great read and enjoyable.

ClippedWings says...

Haha, thanks hmcg! For your second review, that was really good.

TiffanyToy says...

Hey, ClippedWings!

@CHRISSY321 didn't we do sorta the same thing in 5th grade? @ClippedWings I remember doing the same thing in 5th grade and I used the same name Ruth...lol. Well, we did ours about how if we were sharecroppers. Anyway, this is awesome. Great job!

~Tiff

ClippedWings says...

Woah that's weird... Thanks!

Rin321 wrote a review...

Hey ClippedWings! CHRISSY321 here with a quick promised review!

I honestly do not have too much to say! I just loved it, how historically correct it is, and ho you brought it to life in this great letter! I just love all of the detail, and there is really NO mistakes for me to fix! That is a great thing to have as a writer, so big thumbs up to you! Yay! :D :D :D

You are a great writer, and I greatly encourage you to keep at it! Thanks for sharing! :D :D :D

ClippedWings says...

Thank you so much, Chrissy!

TiffanyToy says...

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber