12+

The Lessons of War

by belair94

It was mid afternoon and the sun was high in the Korean sky. Smoke still hung in the air and the smell of death and gun powder spread over the land. Corpses and bullet casings were strewn across the ground which had taken on a reddish tint in the spaces not covered with shell holes. In the middle of this unholy scene stood one tree that had remained undisturbed through the battle, its limbs full of green leaves and small, pink flowers.

Beneath its shade sat two men leaning against its rough bark. One was an American sergeant, his face unshaven and tired from the horrors he had witnessed. The man next to him was a Chinese officer, like the American he looked tired and a little sick. Both wore tattered uniforms, covered in dirt and the blood of their friends. The American gripped a .45 in his left hand, its bullets lost in the first few minutes of battle, and the Chinese soldier held his Type 53 close, its stock shattered and its bolt jammed. Neither could have been more then 20.

“Hell of a fight” said the American

“Agreed” replied the Chinese soldier “I must admit your artillery was very affective, many of my men were vaporized before they got within sight of your men.”

“Ya, but your boys put up one hell of a fight, I couldn’t believe the way just jumped into our foxholes”

“Yes, they must or they and their families will suffer greatly”

“I’m sorry to hear that”

“It’s alright, now my men can rest and their families will hear stories of how their sons died with honor.”

“I can only imagine what my C.O is saying to their families” said the Sergeant pointing into the field “I can see it now, some secretary sitting behind a type writer in Seoul.

‘Dear Mr. and Mrs. Smith   

I regret to inform you that your son Johnny was killed today fighting to defend a vital position. He fought bravely beside me and died for his country to ensure freedom and democracy for the people of Korea.

Sincerely the US Army’

What they tell them is that officer was never in combat, that their kid died afraid for some stupid field with no strategic value at all!”

The sergeant chucked his .45 in anger while the Chinese officer put his hand on the man’s shoulder to comfort him.

“I know the pain you feel my friend” he said softly “my men will suffer a similar disgrace, their families will be told they died Heroes of the State. I only hope my family will not receive such a letter, I could not bear such a thought.”

He pulled a small black and white photo from the breast pocket of his jacket and showed it to the American.

“Look” he said “this is my family and my home”

The Sergeant stared at the little square that held the tiny family. There were 5 of them standing in front of a little farm house. There was a somber looking old couple who he assumed was the man’s parents, and  to the right of them sat a young girl with 2 young children, a boy and a girl, all smiling and waving back at him. There was a message scribbled on the back in Chinese.

“It says ‘We miss you An Yi Nu. Be strong and come home soon. Love Mama, Papa, Chenguang, Baozhai, and Boa.’ I look at this picture every day to remind me that there is a world beyond this awful place.”

“I know what you mean, if I didn’t have this Polaroid of Anne I don’t know what I’d do.” Said the American pulling a grainy color picture from his left hand pocket. An was amazed at the beautiful, young, blonde whose blue eyes stared back at him. She was at the beach, laying on a towel in a 2 piece swim suit smiling in a way that only young girls can. An smiled back and the American laughed.

“She cute isn’t she?”

“Very” replied An

“I remember the day I shipped out in ‘50, she handed me this picture and said

‘Danny when you get back I want you to marry me, marry me and never leave again. Promise me that Danny, just Promise me’

I promised her. I just hope I can keep that promise”

“It may be hard to do Danny, our superiors seem to be intent on killing us.” An said soberly

“Don’t I know it” Danny replied “I just don’t understand it”

“Our orders?”

“No, war. Why did we have to get drafted? Why did my friends have to die? Why are we fighting and dying in some country neither of us care about? Why can’t our leaders just sit down like we’re doing now and just talk it out?”

“I have often asked myself the very same questions, I have no problem with the men I fight, the supposed ‘enemy’. But perhaps in time we will understand, perhaps someday we can become as educated as our superiors”

“If this is the outcome of education I’d rather stay stupid” said Danny

Both men laughed, then Danny offered his new friend a cigarette which he smoked right down to the filter.

The sun had sunk low in the western sky and was now nearly hidden behind a far off mountain range. The two friends were still sitting in the shade of that Korean tree just listening to the silence of the battlefield when there was a noise to the east. From out of the brush marched a column of men, American, North Korean, South Korean, British, French, Swedish, Chinese, and Civilians all marched together toward the setting sun. Some talked and joked while others whispered or just carried on silently, staring in awe at what lay ahead. The two men just stared in wonder until finally a British corporal strode over and called them to join in.

Without hesitation the two men stood up and limped over to the mass of humanity moving by. An had a hard time breathing because of the .45 caliber slug that had passed through his lung and nicked his heart. Danny was no better off, his belly had been pierced by the bayonet of a Chinese Type 53 rifle and now he was forced to clutch his stomach, stopping every few minutes to reposition his hands to keep his organs from falling out.

Finally the men reached the British soldier, his uniform was fairly clean except for the blood stain in the center of his shirt, he had been shot through the heart a few hours before trying to take a ridge 4 miles away.

“Where are you heading?” asked Danny

“Into the setting sun and far away from this bloody fighting” replied the corporal

“What’s beyond the setting sun?” asked An

“No one really knows, we just have to go there”

“Good enough for me”

“Agreed”

And with that the three men slowly made their way toward the setting sun in the west, picking up others along the way as they made their way down the eternity road.

Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:39 am

Hi belair94,

A very interesting story with some very beautiful messages that you present to us here. Well written in terms of structure, with some minor flaws.

I really like the way you start the story. It's a good opening, like in a film. I think you've tried to bring out the best there is with the descriptions, and I like how the setting also changes gradually, giving you a new insight into the next scene, where you then move on to the characters.

I also like that you give a few moments to introduce the characters with the dialogue, which I think is good for the reader. It has the effect of putting you in the shoes of the hell you're describing before you get into the action.

I like the dialogues you build up here and especially that they seem very real in a way. My only advice would be to sometimes insert who is talking more often, because it can lead to confusion.

I like how you take a very calm tone with the story despite the whole environment. In general, I think you've done a good job of getting some kind of message across while focusing on the little names.

Other points I noticed while reading:

The American gripped a .45 in his left hand, its bullets lost in the first few minutes of battle, and the Chinese soldier held his Type 53 close, its stock shattered and its bolt jammed. Neither could have been more then 20.

I am never so sure why one has to be so specific about the weapons, especially in this case where it turns out that the lesson is different from this sentence and the weapons in general are not directly relevant. And a tiny typo here with “than”.

I must admit your artillery was very affective,

A tiny typo here with “effective”.

In general a nice message you give the reader here.

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats