z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Juju

by beeyaay


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

JUJU

WARNING: This article contains strong language and is not suitable for readers younger than 16.

This is for my sisters; the one’s taken away by agents of terror. #Bringbackourgirls #PrayforNigeria

_____________________________________________________________

Somebody pray for me………

Pray for the souls of those we have lost in the insurgency going on in the north. Let’s stand for a minute of silence going out to the people, especially the children, who lost their lives. We can only hope that the girls who were kidnapped would be found and returned to their families safely.”

Every time I see myself, I dey feel like say na Juju dey worry me………

My son is gone,

My daughter is gone,

My husband is gone,

My father is gone,

My mother is gone,

I lost my siblings,

I lost my relations,

We lost them all.

But here I am………

I no fit explain every thing, I dey feel what I feel like mumu dey worry me………

We don’t know if this is religious,

We don’t know if this is political,

We heard it could be agricultural,

We don’t know.

But then again, what do we know?

I no fit chop food drop plate, can’t even ball ‘cause these haters try to deflate………

Fear lurks at every nook

Hate graces every cranny.

But that’s bullshit, Me, I’m on some new shit…………

It so happens that my pot of tears is dry. I have mourned and I am strong. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but why do I feel so weak?

NO!

NO!

I am not weak. For in what they call weakness, I find strength, strength in my conscience; strength to ask for a change.

NO!

Not ask, DEMAND!

I want a change; I’m fed up of loosing, I want to win. This is my home ground; I will not loose at home.

I will not………

No time for your hater-ation, I got busy days going for the federation………

The government cannot give all the concern in the world to these agents of terror, while we deplete into oblivion, I absolutely understand that.

But, I lost my sisters…………

Somebody pray for me, they wan make me to cry………

Mama cries everyday. Since Tony left for school and never returned, Papa works extra at the quarry. Even Hafsat, my neighbor is not at home. She never returned form selling Nunu. I always loved the way she prepared her Fura de Nunu. Her mother cries too. I feel the pain sometimes.

I know what they feel, it’s the hurt that makes you feel like you are crying blood; it looks like they will at any minute soon. I had never been in labor but I remember when my science teacher described it last semester, I felt the pain between my legs – that reminds me, my science teacher died too.

I imagine that these mothers feel the pain of labor all-over again, except this time there was no fruit, just an endless spiral down into shambles; different tiny pieces that could never be put together again.

These days all the people wey you call friends, chook hand for your eye and they no send………

Trust no one

No one trusts.

If you fly too much, they turn terrorists, if you try to shine too bright, the turn eclipse………

They think they can dim our stars but there they have it wrong.

We’re just getting started, we’ll shine brighter.

How the fuck am I supposed to relate this? Am I supposed to be upset?

I can’t still understand.

I can’t understand this, still.

Damn! I know nothing at all,

How do you understand what you don’t know?

Brother you see, if you wish me well, then I wish you well…………

It was a youth peace concert, an event to commemorate the lives that were lost in the terror attacks in the Northern part of my country, Nigeria. There were people of all ages. Security officials; military and paramilitary, even intelligence officers could be found in every nook and cranny. The safety measures were put in place for the various African first ladies who were at the venue and it would be a shame for harm to come to them on Nigerian soil.

But the most important people though, the mothers who lost their children, husbands who lost their wives, children who lost their friends are seated in their huts just below the scorching sun that is glistening in their tears.

When bad things happen in succession, our people say, “Na Juju dey worry us”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 1045
Reviews: 9

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 3:16 pm
View Likes
Ibounce wrote a review...



That is beautiful.

I love the way that everything fits together, the stories and thoughts of this person who lives in fear. The way the thoughts add to the story is really amazing. I love the part "brother you see, if you wish me well , then I wish you wel....." my favorite part has to be "I am not weak. For in what they call weakness, I find strength, strength in my conscience; strength to ask for a change." this whole work is very philosophical and thought-provoking. A few thoughts for improving it: the transition to the parts where she is swearing is very abrupt and confusing. Also, in the second stanza so too speak, I found it very confusing. I love this work, though. Keep writing. (sorry this review is so short.)




beeyaay says...


the length is okay thank you. i should probably give credit to the artist, the lines in italics are from a song



User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 3:21 am
View Likes
Hannah wrote a review...



I think there are a lot of pieces of this poem where I am missing the feelings, the exact meanings, but I got enough of it to feel something.

I think, however, that this poem could be condensed. There are a lot of good moments and good images, but they are dulled by less evocative lines, or at least lines that I didn't get as much out of.

Without even looking up at the poem again, I can remember the specific stories best. I remember that it said the brother didn't come home from school, father's working extra at the quarry, and a neighbor never came back from selling some kind of food, but the speaker had loved the way she made it. I can remember the speaker thinking about science class, about how she felt the pain her legs, the way she feels the pain of crying blood, how people look like they'll start crying blood, and by the way the science teacher that told her that is dead now, too.

These, for me, are the most powerful moments of the poem because they seem personal, real, and especially relevant to the speaker, so I start feeling emotion alongside the speaker as they present to me.

I loved, too, the line about how the mothers felt the pain of labor again, but this time there was no fruit. God, those words are beautiful.

I felt, though, that the more general lines toward the beginning of the poem were not as engaging. It's a sad truth that when you hear words over and over again, they lose meaning, so when I hear the words "I am weak, no I am not weak, I am strong", I don't feel anything at hearing them, though I know the person speaking them must be feeling some wide range of emotions. Maybe you could try, instead of presenting the words, getting into that INNER feeling, so we, the readers, can feel it, too, and then connect more with the poem. It's harder, because you have to evoke the feeling of being weak instead of just saying "I feel weak", but more rewarding in the end.

I love the repetition at the beginning. I loved the italic breaks with the rhythm of a genuine language, even if I didn't understand it.

I'm not sure I liked the last two paragraphs except the very tongue-in-cheek line that says "it would be a shame for harm to come to them on Nigerian soil". That's brilliant and gold.

I would like, too, to be able to understand what "Na Juju dey worry us" means, but maybe it's not my place to know.

I hope these thoughts are helpful for you when you come to the place where you want to edit this poem. Thank you so much for sharing this material with us.

PM me if you have any questions or comments, or leave a reply to this review.

Good luck. Keep writing.

Hannah




beeyaay says...


thank you hannah, thank you so much.
"Na juju dey worry us": it's basically a phrase in my country, you know when something is not going good for someone, they tend to blame "juju" invoked on them by jealous enemies.



Hannah says...


:) I was a little familiar with the phrase "juju", but some of the phrasing of the sentence I haven't heard before, like putting "Na" at the beginning, and what that means, so I got the general gist -- you can get the general gist from "dey worry us". If you're worried about people not getting it! :D I generally got it. But thank you for the explanation. This is such a rich piece. :)



beeyaay says...


Well! *phew* thank God! Thank you!




"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss