z

Young Writers Society


12+

Vignettes on Biopsies

by beccalicious94


“Yitgadal V’Yitkadash Shmey Raba”, May His great Name grow exalted and sanctified, the first few words of the Mourner’s Prayer fill my ears as I am sitting next to my mother in synagogue for possibly the last time. A single tear. “B’Alma Di Bra Krootay”, in the world that He created as He willed, I stare at the men in the congregation, mostly elderly, and watch as they uniformly chant, as if trying to resurrect their lost loved ones. “V’yamlich Malchootay”, May He give reign to His kingship, I glance to my left at the lone speaker in the women’s section, a middle-aged woman clutching her prayer book for dear life, trying to get all the Aramaic words in. I break out in tears and as soon as the prayer ends, my feet meet the door, leaving services before they are finished. Hidden away in the bathroom stall, face red in hands full of tears, I think only one thought. I’m too young to be saying the Mourner’s Prayer.

********************************************************************************************

We’re setting up our weekly Saturday past-time: Mahjong. My sister, the one who unfortunately loses most games contemplates whether or not she can handle another weekend of coming in last. I tell her everyone has to play this week. There's a tacit and solemn understanding as we sit staring at each other. We start setting up the tiles before any one of us can spend too much time meditating over that word. When the game has one less person than the requisite number, the other players can play their titles without looking at them. Dead wall.

***********************************

I can't even sneeze without being preoccupied about looming news about my mother. She gave me her sneeze. It's loud, boisterous, coquettish even--demanding the rooms attention, kind of like her. I first became aware of my inherited phenotype in grade school. When my mom found out how embarrassed I felt about it she told me about how these reflexes from her body would wake up the other students sleeping in her classes, as if this was supposed to be comforting in any way. In high school I learned to suppress many things--social aloofness, judgemental thoughts and resistance to change. Doing the same with my sneezes wasn't something I consciously thought of until recently. Somehow the sounds that came out of me transformed and with them the comments; from "you have quite the sneeze" to having a sneeze described as 'dainty'. Part of me wonders if I unconsciously held back from fear of being attention provoking while another part of me acknowledges I was trying to cheat biology. Holding back the identical sneezes meant harvesting my mother's influence on my personality before it got revealed to the public. And now it's flu season, and the sneezes are back and so are thoughts of her. I'd sneeze all day if it would keep her here.

********************************************************************************************************


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 10065
Reviews: 68

Donate
Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:59 am
View Likes
Archer wrote a review...



I loved this. Reminds me of Dave Egger's "A Heartbreaking work of Staggering Genius," except that what you wrote is actually good! The vignettes are poignant and meaningful, and really go a long way toward exposing the reader to the emotions that you're going through.

In particular, what I love about this piece is that it's unrepentant in how personal it is. Too often, authors write pieces that are supposed to open themselves up, but instead hold back. Here, you don't do that. You bare all, allowing the reader to be drawn into what you're feeling.

A large part of me hopes that you'll continue with this. Your descriptions are vivid, the emotion is powerful, and it's real. Thank you for sharing, and I hope everything goes well.




User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 7583
Reviews: 61

Donate
Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:15 am
FireFox wrote a review...



Hey, beccalicious! FireFox here to review your vignettes! To be quite honest, I'm not exactly sure how vignettes work, but you could reply to my review and enlighten me if you'd like! I'm assuming that the reason why there is a constant change in scene is because it is a series of vignettes. Perhaps my assumption is wrong... Hmm... I may have to go look up some information about vignettes. The concept interests me. Anyway, on to the review:

Needs Improvement:
1. Grammar. I didn't see any spelling errors, or I would have included spelling, too, but it's possible I may have overlooked spelling errors. I won't nitpick your grammar mistakes, as I know others will, but I will give you an example.

In your first line, you have:

'"Yitgadal V’Yitkadash Shmey Raba”, May His great Name grow exalted and sanctified,'

After the word "Raba," your comma should be in the quotation marks, not outside of them. It's just one of those few rules of writing/grammar that should be followed, or things just look kind of... off.

2. Perhaps you could make each section (vignette?) a bit longer? You give us just enough information to interest us, but then you kind of rip us out of the vignette wondering where the story would have gone if you had continued telling the story... They just seem almost <i>too</i> short.

3. You have fantastic description and imagery, but you haven't introduced us to our narrator's name, what she looks like, etc.. By this time in your piece, it's rather important, being that a reader feels most connected to a story once they have been "introduced" to the MC/narrator. Just a suggestion!

I love the idea of a vignette, if my assumptions about it are correct, and you have given me something to research, because I may want to take a stab at writing one! So thank you for the idea! Your description and "showing rather than telling" is phenomenal and I hope you will continue this, because I am intrigued. Please let me know if you do continue it!

-FireFox





Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
— Charles Mingus