Emmy

by basia77201

Dear Eminem the Innocent Journalist,

Yeah, I guess I adapted to you pretty quickly. Despite having just met you and my severe social  anxiety, for some reason, I let you in. I told you things I never would have told anyone else. Things I wouldn't have otherwise told someone I had just met. But I trusted you. There was something about you that I liked. No-that wasn't it. I liked everything. I liked you too much. This could get confusing, so for your sake, and for mine, lets back this up a little.

I arrived to this new town that isn't very well known. It was September 2nd, 2015. My family has lived here since July 24, of that same year. I was gone, otherwise known in my house as visiting family that lived on the other side of the world. This entailed a multitude of new emotions, as well as meeting new people. While I would love to get into more detail regarding my trip, that is another story for another time. 

My mom researched churches in the local area. She found one she liked, and we decided to go to it. While we practically had to drag my dad kicking and screaming to go there, we managed to get there an hour or so after the whole shin dig was over. Sweet. However, there was a discussion time going on afterwards for another hour, so we stayed. We were greeted by nice humans. Albeit odd, but nice at the same time. I met a girl that went by the name of Kara, little did I know that this was someone that would eventually end up backstabbing and hating me later.

My dad refused to go to the new church for the first two months or so. We went to our old one instead. Which was an hour away. Yay. I convinced him to start going to the new one. I hadn't met you then, yet somehow there was something that kept calling me there. Maybe it was Kara. The one girl who actually talked to me and wanted to be my friend. It very well could've been her. I can't remember when exactly I met you. I can't remember what I said to you, or what you said to me. All I remember is wanting to volunteer at an AWANA. Little did I know that you, Kara and I were in the same room. After I met you, I didn't talk so much with Kara.

She just didn't compare to you. Conversations with her felt like sand in between turning gears, or like nails scratching on a chalkboard. With you, they were smooth. For the most part anyways. Funny, you said, "Its not my fault I'm your only friend on facebook!" When I complained that I had a ton of sports stuff showing up in my feed. But it is true. I have 50 or so friends, yet I talk with you the most. While conversations occaisonally get awkward or run out of steam, they normally end up taking a funny turn. That, or they get very serious in a funny sort of way. 

I figured out why I adapted to you so quickly. Once I met you, I knew you were a decent guy. I knew that I could find out things that no one else could find out about you. It could take some fighting, but I knew that we could get there. 

I thought we were opposites. I prayed it would stay like that so I could still say 'Opposites attract' as an excuse to like you. Every week, I saw you for 2 hours. Each week after I met you, I felt myself falling harder, and harder. I liked everything about you. Even your flaws. I wasn't naïve. I recognized all your insecurities. All of your irrational hatred towards certain people. Because you let me in, I got to see who you really were.

I didn't need that excuse. Opposites don't always attract. We are the exception. 

I thank the Lord every day that you like me. That I didn't ruin a perfectly good friendship over a crush. That you felt exactly the same way. That we're so comfortable with each other. And that despite the fact that you told me three times that you liked me as a friend, I was still persistent. I couldn't believe you. It was impossible. I was right. I'm sorry to say, but I always am. (Actually, I'm not sorry about that, but you know me well enough to know that without me saying it.)

I can handle you. I know when you're serious, and when you're joking. I know you inside and out. We're so similar, yet so different. I love our relationship. The fact that we're unofficial but still a thing. Kasia, they called us. I love the constant flirting. The subtle kind to others, yet obvious to us. Might I add that our code convo for flirting-that-might-not-be-subtle-enough-for-others is simplyperfect. *winks* Oh! And let's not forget our communications with our facial expressions and eyes. We don't always need words. 

I think that the rest goes without saying. I thought I'd write you this letter to clarify some things.

I'll leave you with one last thing. I always knew. I knew that we'd become something one day. I knew that if I didn't do anything, you wouldn't. I'm ok with that. I got the ball rolling. You're pretty much doing the rest. I look forward to the future. If you're in it, that's awesome. If you're not, then it was probably for the best. 

I'll never forget you. Not even the Doctor could wipe away my memory of you. *winks*

~Miss J. Alba, 

the Determined Girl who made something come of a crush that started out small.

P.S. You were always right about one thing. You were the only friend I was crushing hard on.

Sujana wrote a review...

Some things before I start:

Most of my reviews get confusing because the author doesn't know the standard I'm looking at their work from, so I'll just give it to you straight--I judge works the same way I judge published books, because they both intend to entertain. Unfortunately, I, like most readers, have a set of biases, and therefore I can often judge a book unfairly because of some tropes I don't like. For example, I'm not a fan of love stories. Which is why, while I'll try to be fair, I'll still try to explain why I don't find your love story compelling, even though I'd like you to know that it's very hard to impress me when it comes to the matter of romantic love. In the end, most romantic love stories are liked because of empathy, or feelings of "Oh my God thats totally me" or "Oh my God I want to be like them." That sort of thing doesn't work for me, so the only way to impress me is by unique concepts or things that I do empathize with.

And with that rant out of the way, let's get to the review.

The Beginning

I feel like, from the strange beginning that hints a deeper backstory, that you've written these two characters before. In which case, congratulations. You have retained two characters without instantly turning your deluded attention to other characters! (AKA my life story). However, since this is categorized as a short story, you have to assume that your readers have absolutely no idea what your past work might be. Therefore, you need to actually introduce your characters.

"But Ellstar!" I hear you scream in the distance. "I thought people said to show, not tell! Shouldn't that mean I act like the character and not introduce myself, since I'm already familiar with the love interest?"

Here's the thing--writing is a con game. While "show, don't tell" is a good rule, a better rule is "Don't take the wallet, let the audience give it to you." You need to earn your audience's confidence to take their wallet/emotion/suspension of disbelief, and you can't do that by "telling" them to give you their money. If you convince them that you're a poor boy in need of cash, they might buy it, but only if you're good at acting. Which is where the "show" part comes in. You need to suggest that your characters are in love or good or interesting, without making it directly obvious. The audience have to feel like they've earned observations of the character--in other words, don't make it too obvious, but make it hard enough to find that the audience has to surf through description to get a proper picture. This still means you have to act, yes, and that also means it makes no sense to introduce your characters like "Hi my name is Protagonist and this is my friend Person Who is Going to Die for my Character Development." However, it still means that you have to drop hints, and make sure they're clear enough for your audience to pick it up, but not too obvious that they notice your con game.

As I read through this, I found you had gone to both sides of the spectrum, but scarcely ever right in the good spot (the middle). Something I'll address individually in the highlights. *

Main Criticisms

Besides the problems I listed in the beginning:

-There were many details that could've easily been omitted but weren't, for some reason. More on that in the highlights.**

-There's no story I can hold onto here. In my humble opinion, a good romance is never about a relationship--Romeo and Juliet was more a family feud story, Wuthering Heights is a story about madness and obsession, Gone Girl is about manipulation (shut up, that is totally a romance and I will accept no other explanation!), etc.. Even when it is about a relationship, it's really more about the characters acting off each other than the "oh, they're in love!" factor. A romance without detail has the same amount of substance as three words: "They're in love." Yawn. In other words, spice your story with details. Tell the jokes that these two share. The things they do together. Where the girl was exactly when she first realized she was in love. A specific and unusual trait she likes from the guy. Why the guy is named after an infamous rapper. It's your story, man. Do what you like.

-It feels like your story doesn't really have a point until the ending. When writing a story, it's always important to subtly remind the reader about the main themes in order to create a uniformity about the work. For example, Chuck Palahniuk's short story "Knock, Knock" is about a young man trying to make his dying father laugh with one of his father's old jokes. The story starts with a common phrase referring to a joke--"Stop me if you've heard this one"--and repeats that phrase throughout the whole story, along with peppering the text with extremely dark jokes (which highlight the darkness of the situation, his father's inevitable death) and occasional references to comedies. The main point never leaves the readers mind, but it feels natural because, since the main character is thinking about it, it makes sense he'd think about the jokes that once cheered his dad up. You can also pepper the text with symbolism and imagery--a story about death that features crows, a story about alcoholism that features empty bottles and vomit in toilet bowls, etc--but that's beside the point. The point is...to find your point. And point that point out. (Yeah, I think that's pretty on point.) But like, don't buy a neon sign to point at it or anything. Just politely poke the audience every now and again, maybe whisper some repetition.

To further clarify--I specifically didn't like how Kara and the parents appeared and disappeared without any real notice after the love interest comes in. It jumped from one point to another, which made it feel weird.

Main Praises

-"Its not my fault I'm your only friend on facebook!" would've been a good example of Show, Don't Tell, if you didn't explain the joke (which is that she only talks to him). While there are occasions when telling is needed (particularly to strange and undecipherable pieces of evidence), this really didn't need that treatment. But still, good on you for this.

-"Opposites don't always attract. We are the exception. " Again, good. Except this is the example of needing a "telling treatment". More on that later.

-I do like how familiar the situation feels, despite myself. While I prefer my romance fantastical (if I can't empathize with it, at the very least it could be entertainingly nonsensical), I do understand where some people are coming from when it comes to familiar romance. It makes a very good foundation, down to Earth and rife with conflict. It's a fertilized plot of land, basically, unassuming enough to allow a story to grow, but just interesting enough to provide proper conflict to grow under. However, again, you need a good set of characters to grow on that land. A story cannot stand alone.

Highlights

-"This could get confusing, so for your sake, and for mine, lets back this up a little." *

An example of going to the "Tell" spectrum--I can immediately tell that this is just a way for the author to show the background. Now, that's something I could live with, I've used it occasionally myself; however, it only applies if your story deserves to be recalled. AKA, it's so unbelievable, so mad, or so confusing that the character needs to recap. Personally, I don't think a confession of love is anything to be recapped on. Something that appears like a confession of love but ends with the girl murdering someone, now, that's something to be recapped on. So I suggest, if you'd rather keep the story as it is now, to let the girl continue with her fond explanation for why she likes this boy by giving examples from the past. ("Do you remember our first conversation? You came up to me with a liter of Diet Coke, and said "I bet you ten bucks that I can drink this with a Mentol under my tongue."" Suggests that the boy is daring, or quirky, or is easy going, or is comfortable doing ridiculous things around the girl, etc..)

-" It was September 2nd, 2015. My family has lived here since July 24, of that same year." **

Unimportant Detail. What do the dates matter? Are they the end of the world? Is the girl a freak with numbers and just likes memorizing them for some reason? No? Okay then, the audience doesn't need to know about them.

-"We were greeted by nice humans."

Quirky, but unexplainably quirky. It sort of hints at a personality for the girl, calling people "humans" like she's an alien, but nothing else in the text suggests she's actually this way. Everything else except this phrase just makes her seem normal.

-"Little did I know that you, Kara and I were in the same room." *

Tip: Never. Never. Ever say "Little Did I Know". Unless it's a joke (and even if it's a joke, sometimes), "Little Did I Know" completely wrecks suspense, tears down any semblance of drama, and just seems like something ripped out of a childrens book. "Suddenly" and "Out of the blue" also apply, but "Suddenly" can get away with it more often. It's just better to tell us what happened than to add anything else behind it. Let the sentence carry itself.

-"Might I add that our code convo for flirting-that-might-not-be-subtle-enough-for-others is simplyperfect. *winks*"

What's with the weird action *wink*? Is this an email? Well, why doesn't she drop more things like that if it is? Why does she drop it at all if it isn't? Again, this is sort of "Telling more than Showing", except somewhat worse, because at least Telling makes a sentence to explain itself. Either give up all hope on prose and just go for *all actions in between stars* and *smilies everywhere*, or try to keep it out.

-"I liked everything about you. Even your flaws."

There's no other way to say it--this is a little cliched. It's my favorite cliche, sure, but that's mostly because I usually translate it to "I liked you because of your flaws" which always leads to interesting character studies. I suggest to build it with something else, show us one of his flaws.

-" I thought we were opposites."*

A rare case where you actually needed to tell us/show us why these two are opposites. Your descriptions are somewhat uncharacteristic and vague, so it's hard to tell why these two are meant to be opposites, why they're meant to be the same, etc.. Easily fixed with the other solutions I suggested.

And that's it. Sorry for writing a long review, I'm feeling lengthy today. Or hey, maybe this ridiculous thing actually helped. Who knows?

--Elliot.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:35 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there! I thought I'd go ahead and review this today.

I kind of have a soft spot for these sorts of letters that tell a story because when done right, they're very interesting to read. You have a solid foundation here for a very sweet love story.

The main thing I noticed was that all of this feels rather vague. While I'm sure this would make perfect sense to Emmy, the reader doesn't have the benefit of all the shared background and experiences, and so having her talk vaguely about how they met and such doesn't really help the reader feel like they're reading a story, and it makes it hard to visualize what happened.

Similarly, I found it a little bit hard to care in some places, and that's down to an old, oft-repeated rule of writing: Show, Don't Tell. The problem is, you're telling us all about Eminem, about his personality and about the things he does, but the reader doesn't get to see him, and so he never feels fully alive.

I think this also stems from the fact that there is very little conflict in this letter. She is writing from the end of the story, from a place where she knows she has a happy ending and is clearly, well, happy. Simply put, while you can make it work, it doesn't make a very good story unless you approach it differently. Suspense needs to be built. Instead of simply saying Kara backstabbed her and giving away the end of the 'story' just as we're starting, take us on that journey. Show us what happened, and use that to contrast Kara with Emmy's character.

It's always difficult in a letter, because you have to balance the realism, the way we actually write letters, with storytelling and making sure the reader has enough information to understand what's going on. But if you make it longer and change the style a little bit so that it's almost like your main character is telling Emmy the story of their relationship from her point of view, this will become a very strong story.

And that's all I've got! Good luck with this!

If I were a girl in a book, this would all be so easy.
— Jo March