My Leap From The Lion's Head - A Response Letter To My Teach

by bard_of_life

My Leap From The Lion’s Head

So here I am, teetering on the brink of either my greatest achievement or my hardest fall. It’s either make it or break it now, and the margin is very thin. What I’m talking about is the fact that Period 9 Model English is about to begin their exhibitions, which make up about roughly 100% of our grade. We are about to begin ten days worth of teaching, whether we are teaching to an eighth grade classroom or to a single first grader. After that comes a stream of essays, teaching analysis papers and every other bit of paperwork that usually follows the discovery of life on Mars.

I have to admit, it is just a little bit nerve-wracking, and yes, even a little bit oppressive. All of this work on top of our normal studies just seems to be a pile of work that we know we have to take care of now but wish would just vanish. It’s unnerving to know that your grade rests on essays and a teaching practicum instead of the regular fill-in-the-blanks and five word answer worksheets. For me, the youngest student in the class who is just getting settled in to being in a class that is, to borrow a word from Mr. Wit, radical in its principles and regular class time. I have never been in a class where I made a decision to do with the class, let alone what I will be learning in it.

Even though it seems like too much work to finish in such a short time, it is exciting in the way that I have never been able to prove myself as this will force me to, and that I will finally learn what it’s like to have a real deadline on a large project that I’m working on alone. Not only is this a new concept to me, it is one that interests and excites me with a passion. The thirst to prove myself to my peers and teachers has become overwhelming; so much so that I can hardly bear to go to bed at night, for fear of losing valuable hours that could be put towards my final goal in this class.

I am slightly unnerved by the looming shadow of this large product, but I am sure of myself, and my ability to complete such a large task. I feel confidant that I will be able to complete this task with much less stress than my gut tells me it will take. I feel sure of my abilities, and when I do leap from the lion’s head, I’m sure that I will be able to reach the other side.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:41 am
Snoink wrote a review...

For me, the youngest student in the class who is just getting settled in to being in a class that is, to borrow a word from Mr. Wit, radical in its principles and regular class time.

You don't finish the sentence. What is it to you?

I have never been in a class where I made a decision to do with the class, let alone what I will be learning in it.

This sentence is very awkward, and makes it unclear what exactly you're doing. The last part of the sentence ("let alone what I will be learning in it) is simply awkward. What are you trying to say? Then write it down.

But, besides that part, you have a pretty solid essay with a very catchy beginning. I saw it on the main page and was immediately sucked in. ;)

Good luck on your project!

Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.
— "Hamlet," William Shakespeare