z

Young Writers Society



Un-

by backgroundbob


Read it, hopefully understand it. Then comment.

You know the drill.


UN-

On the beach at Aberdaron there was a man
giving donkey rides to little children.
When the police came to take him away
they left his steed to wander aimlessly,
clopping down the rotten boardwalks 'till dark
and the tides came swirling around its hooves.

Try to find a half-buried, stoved-in skull
on the rocks below the churchyard,
washed clean of it's hard won sermon:


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
187 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 187

Donate
Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:20 pm
M.B.Author wrote a review...



I like this too. And, yeah, why the colon? Was that a typo or why is it there?
I like the message, the sermon if you may that this poem is telling.
And I agree with Gummy said about the hooves beating on the ground. I
think a little more detail might do this some good.
Good job! I really like it.

-- M.B.Author




User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 1579
Reviews: 36

Donate
Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:52 pm
Sabine wrote a review...



I like this a lot, especially the first verse. the images I get from it are the quick judgment of the faceless authority and the abandonment of the animal (the innocent?). I like the pacing of it, also, the first and second lines have a great rhythm, and the last one as well. I thought the fourth line was maybe a little bit awkward, in the wording or the amount of syllables or something - but I could be off on that.

The only thing is that I almost had the feeling that the poem was unfinished. like it wanted somehow another line in the second verse. Maybe, maybe not. It works fine this way, but the meaning of the second verse might be clearer with another line, or two.

But I do think it's not necessary to end with a colon, a regular period would work just as well, in my mind, to illustrate the implied sermon.

Overall, like I said. I really like this. It's strong writing.




User avatar
404 Reviews


Points: 1108
Reviews: 404

Donate
Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:10 am
Gadi. says...



"Ay, the agony! That donkey's been gadding about forever now, asking how is he so good at poetry?!?!?"
ARGH!




User avatar
688 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 688

Donate
Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:08 pm
xanthan gum wrote a review...



I know it was something cheap like that. I don't like the last two lines of the first stanza. I want to hear the echoes of his hooves in my mind - I want them to scare me...just a bit. This is something that I think the poem needs to give off the right effect.




User avatar
266 Reviews


Points: 1726
Reviews: 266

Donate
Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:54 pm
backgroundbob says...



You have to write your own sermon, gummy :) that's the message. Part of it, at least.




User avatar
688 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 688

Donate
Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:13 pm
xanthan gum says...



Colon. Why does it end in a colon?





There's a Brazilian things you could write about. You just gotta pick Juan.
— Hattable