Karl vs. the Kids

by backgroundbob

To people who don't know a bit of sociology and/or history, this might not make a lot of sense.

KARL VS. THE KIDS

So this is it, kids, this is mister white middle-class burnout come to give you the low-down on what’s hip and what’s real. I can see it in your faces, you know, every single smug slouching one of ‘em: you really reckon you’re the big horse in the derby, that you got somethin’ the guy next to you ain’t. Well let me enlighten up you minds, children and childrenettes – doesn’t matter even if you do. Who knows: maybe we could get some fresh-faced university chit with a degree in Worthless Optimism to spot the next Prime Minister from you pack of shit-smugglers, but I’ll tell you what I can see. I may not have the PhD in being sparky, but I ain’t stupid neither; I could point to the next John and Jane Doe with my eyes closed. After all, I gotta room full of ‘em.

Now I’ve been around a long time, longer’n you kids can remember; I’ve seen a few things come and go, but there ain’t a thing bin peddled past my nose a time more’n Equal Opportunities. Hell, I’ve seem ‘em wheel that old geezer out more times than the Pope at mass, and never changed it a bit that I can see. Oh, sure, they’ll dress it up nice’n pretty, and poke it ‘till it says somethin’ you’ll believe, but when push comes to shove, ‘ole John Q. Prole gets the best of the praises and the worst o’ the money, don’t he? Just so long as you all keep pleased with whatever shiny new toy’s hangin’ in front of yer noses, everybody’s happy to pat you on the back and take a feel for your wallet.

Me, now, I’ve got a good set of peepers in my head. I can see you all lookin’ round, tryin’ to figure out what dark hole I crawled out of to get here, but don’t let the damn great beard and the ‘ole jacket fool ya: I know what I’m talking about. I’ve bin there, see, I’ve knocked heads on the barricades and cheered with the rest of ‘em at the idiot words in taverns and bars. Oh, maybe not literally, but I was there – they couldn’t’ve done a damn thing without me. Taught the Bolshie buggers everything I knew, didn’t I, and look at ‘em now; why the hell couldn’t they have done it right in the first place?

Anyway, it doesn’t matter now, not a damn bit. You’re all happy, ain’t ya? All reckon life’s pretty sweet? Gonna work your way to a nice cushy job with a fat paycheck? Yeah, ‘course you are: world’s just gonna bend over backwards to sort you out, ain’t it? Ain’t it? ‘Course it ain’t.

That’s the problem with you kids today. No revolution in your blood, ya know? In my day, we were all over the streets like a damn rash, couldn’t put your banner down for a second but someone else’d stick another one in your fist. Americans, Russians, even the bloody French were doing it, but you lot can’t get off your asses for one afternoon. To hell with the means of production, I’d like to meet the man producing the T.V.

Eh, what do you know? We used to have real men and real wars, not this oh-god-I'm-out-of-scented-bath-soap-kill-you-with-a-big-red-button crap I hear these days. You probably don’t even read books anymore, do ya? I wrote a book once, ya know, not that any of you’d care, no you bloody well wouldn’t.

Damn, is that the end already? Alright, alright, hold your horses. Homework for next lesson: I want a detailed plan of how to overthrow the bourgeoisie in England and put up a communist state in it’s place. No, don’t moan at me, you ungrateful sots, I wrote whole philosophies in the time it takes you to plan your intros, get on with it.

Bloody students.

Now where’s that bottle?

Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:21 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Oops! I forgot to comment on this. What can I say? I first read this over Grif's shoulder. :P

Anyway, I liked this much better than "Death of a Novelist." But, me not living in the UK, thought that it was talking about a hippy from the 60's or 70's. You know... those anti-war "Love, peace, my hair is full of grease" sorts of people.

Yeah... interesting read anyway. ;)

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:51 pm

I kinda figured it was about old Marx before I even read it too....I think that if you've ever studied philosophy or anything similar, and know anything about bob than you'd be fairly retarded not to lol.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:03 pm
Sam says...

YES! YES!

Haha, sorry, it was just that awesome.

Only thing I have to say:

'ole should be ole, since you're not abbreviating anything.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:48 pm
marching_gurl89 wrote a review...

Before I even started reading the story I figured it was Karl Marx, because just last week in school in close up we were talking about communism and socialism. And when I see the name Karl I automatically think about Karl Marx. I really liked how you brought the character alive. As the piece went on I liked how you had Karl speaking to this generation about how they are sitting on their fat asses and not wantin to change anything that they do not like. To little of this generation is not voting and taking part is something that usually does not happen over in other countrys.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:49 pm
backgroundbob says...

Well, thank you all.

I see that Meta got it! Karl Marx it is indeed, mysteriously brought back to teach a class of high-schoolers. I'd hoped the third paragraph would let people know, but maybe it's just me and my sociologyness.

Thanks again, folks.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:57 pm
thegirlwhofateloves wrote a review...

:D I liked this....in a way it scarily reminded me of my old Philosophy teacher lol.
I love that 'what's hip and what's real...'....made me chuckle, anyway...

Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:20 pm
Meta-Messiah wrote a review...

I really liked this, was the old man Karl Marx by chance, don't know if i should be glad or not that various things old Marx said i have said many a time. You really brought the character alive and you dealt with issues which are gonna bring an end to us all. APATHY the bane of our generation. Anywho i really liked this Good work Background

Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:28 am
Brian wrote a review...

Great job with diction; you brought the character alive without having to bore us to death over some inane details such as "Joe really liked to play the flute once, but that all ended when his girlfriend left him nearly ten years ago." As a sidenote, I'm reading a book right now that does that over and over, and it's bloody annoying.

Great story all in all actually. Just scrolled back up to find something else to review about, but couldn't find much. It really reminds me of a teacher I had once; he wanted to take the class on a "field trip" to protest about something congress did. He got really upset when he was told that violated something like first ammendment rights...

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:21 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Nice description of a hippie on the way down. Really made him into an old man.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:02 pm
Jojo wrote a review...

Very good, but I sure hope I don't have you for a teacher someday. :)
This does raise some very good points... I'm talking about the potty old man. He is a typical, probably Englishman, 80-year old therabout, still living in the memories of his glory days in the Wars. We get to hear of these people in many books.

If it wasn't for poetry, I couldn't express myself.
— Rosendorn