z

Young Writers Society


12+

A winter chill

by babydollblues


My ghostly limbs are embraced,

by who?

Certainly not the living; 

for these hands are just as translucent,

and their lips are a lilac sky.

A sharp noise breaks through the haze,

and suddenly the smell of copper invades.

"Come. Fall into me,"

that's what they say,

but their void is cold,

and my breath already comes out in clouds as it is.

"You're like a winter night, I can't trust you,"

but something malevolent deep in me tells me to,

a deep conversation within my snowy heart.

Everything is so blurry;

the face of my pursuer,

Faces,

all of them blend together,

showing me icy trees and agony.

"Young phantom, I am not to be feared,"

From the faces,

I hear familiar voices,

all mixing together into a cozy cacophony.

And suddenly,

my vision clears;

an epiphany in my hollow head.

This cacophonous fog,

they are a blizzard,

A poltergeist,

A bad memory;

the deep ache my body hides.

Yet my transparency still carries on,

even though my fog has cleared.

And I wonder:

Am I my own void?

Am I?

Am I my own blizzard?

Am I just a winter night?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 372
Reviews: 2

Donate
Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:07 pm
UnbalancedCalm wrote a review...



This is good I like it!
A few things though:
First, I'm pretty sure each line in the poem is supposed to start with a capital letter, but I'm not sure since I'm not one for poetry.
Second, "but their void is cold" I think you meant "voice"? This might be autocorrect or some sort of typo, but I still want to point it out.
Third, is that the way you wrote it flows nicely, keep it up!
And lastly, is "cacophony". The first time you used it pretty well! But, the second time you used it, "This cacophonous fog" seems to be used incorrectly. "Cacophonous" means involving or producing a harsh, discordant mixture of sounds. I don't think the fog did that. Unless you meant fog as storm cloud, then I could see it.

I saw your comment that said you liked to "leave my poems to interpretation" which I like and I have to say, I think this poem is supposed to represent a harsh winter night!

Sorry if this sounded too nit-picky or unprofessional, as this is my first review!




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 1693
Reviews: 13

Donate
Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:04 am
View Likes
Morrigun wrote a review...



This, however partially shrouded in personal meaning, is an absolutely wonderfully written poem. I love how smoothly the words flow, aiding the suspense and continuation of the story. I'm always a fan when people employ words that aren't typical in day to day language. You've posed a question for people to ask themselves as well, allowing the reader to add their own personal investment into connecting with the poem. I'm a particular fan of the phrase "and their lips are a lilac sky". It poses a beautiful image generally associated with warmth, but applied in this context gain a fresh meaning.
I am confused about three things. I am firstly uncertain of the connection of copper, I have known it to be connected with blood but perhaps I am not understanding the situational translation. Secondly, there is the line "but something malevolent deep in my heart tells me too," and I feel as though you meant "to" instead of "too"? Lastly, I was a little uncertain as to whether it was you or someone else being referred to as ghostly or phantom-like. In the beginning it seems clear that it is you that takes on such appearance, but later on you mention that "they are.../ a poltergeist" and I began to lose face with my own certainty.
Beyond those minor confusions, I think this is a lovely poem and you ought to be proud of it. I appreciate your work, thank you very much for sharing.

Morri.






Ah! Thank you for pointing out the misuse of too, I would have never noticed! As for the confusion with the narration and the people, that was purposefully done, why this is I won't tell you because I like to leave my poems to interpretation and I want you the reader to be able to put your own thoughts and experiences into the passage. I'm thrilled you like it, I worked very hard on this and it broke me out of my writers block.





And the copper smell is indeed just blood or an injury, nothing too deep there.




Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream