The Adventures of Nathan Fondue Chapter One

by aszecsei

This is only the first 7 (extremely small) pages of a 252 pg novel I'm writing. Tell me how you like it!

Detectspie (a detectspie is a mixture of detective, spy, and pie) Nathan Fondue yawned. It wasn't a particularly exciting yawn, just another regular, garden-variety sleepy yawn. However, this yawn began the rather interesting day of October 16th, 2005. The date itself wasn't very exciting; like the yawn it was perfectly ordinary. It had a month, a day, and a year, and was only applicable once. Only the vents of the day (and the fact that it begins this tale. Nathan Fondue got up. Like the yawn and the date, the act of getting up was quite ordinary. Normally he did it twice a day. The days he got up twice were very special to Nathan, and he circled each one on his calendar.

On October 16th, 2005, Nathan Fondue began his day by performing his customary ritual of yawning and getting up and going back to sleep. When he got up again, he circled the date on his calendar, and ate a bowl of Chucky Larms' Cereal - it was magically delicious! - while he daydreamed. Once he finished, he had some chocolate milk and des religieuses, a french pastry. The French - now they knew how to cook. (He had been to England once. It was a traumatic experience.) After his breakfast was finished, he walked out the door to meet his limousine.

Nathan Fondue's limousine, unlike the yawn, the date, and the act of getting up, was quite extraordinary. The driver, Alphonso S., had he been a taxi driver, would obviously be a "taxicab overaccessorizer", but since he drove a limo he was immediately removed from that category. The limo driver had a nice black handlebar mustache, and his limo was like a carnival on Mardi Gras. It had bobble heads in every corner and lights flashed in random spots at random intervals. "Where to today, Mr.Fondue?" Alphonso S. asked in a thick Turkish accent. "971 Viewhi Circle," replied Fondue, and then blinked so he was not blinded by the sudden flash of light on his face. The limo continued down the street.

The street, Wilderviewin Heights, was a street picked straight out of The Stepford Wives. All the houses were the same, and Nathan was the only oddity. He never really grew up mentally, although he wasn't retarded. He looked like any other 36ish year old man, but his boundless enthusiasm made him a poor dinner guest. He would usually go straight to the chocolates and begin stuffing his face. What surprised everyone was that he never seemed to show it.

Nathan Fondue's limo driver had been hand picked by Hilton Mershey himself, leader and creator of the Candy Guardians. Mershey was a Candy Guardian Sidhi, which meant that he spent the rest of eternity inside the UberBubble and gave orders. Nathan Fondue knew that it would be a long time yet before he became a Candy Guardian Sidhi himself, but still found himself imagining the day he was found worthy of that honorable post.

The limo stopped just outside of 917 Viewhi Circle's gate. A chain-link fence surrounded the front yard, while the side and back yards were enclosed by a six foot privacy fence. Nathan rolled behind the privacy fence and peered through one of the cracks as his limo sped away to wait in the next neighborhood over. Fondue watched and waited.

Now, all this waiting and watching was rather boring. After a few short conversations with some squirrels (who told him that the nuts today were a bit dry) he found himself in the nether between sleep and consciousness. A few hours later, he was brought out of his reverie by a slamming car door, and a silver Mazda B3000 rolled backwards out of the driveway. He immediately called his limo with his watch-pager, and soon his limo was speeding around the corner. "After her!" he yelled at Alphonso S.

Slic Cinnamon was walking the last stretch of road before he reached Viewhi Circle when he saw his mother pass a limo speeding in the opposite direction. The limo entered his cul-de-sac briefly before tearing the way his mother had gone. Odd, he thought, and continued on his way home.

Senise Cinnamon glanced in the rearview mirror of her Mazda B3000. A limo was following her. No, she decided, not following her, just going somewhere in the vicinity of the post office drop-off box on Creek Spruce Road. As they drove over a bridge, the passenger began climbing out of the window. Senise's first thought was that the passenger was either rich, crazy, or both. The driver leapt into the bed of her truck. Senise's second thought was that the passenger thought that The Matrix: Reloaded was real. As the passenger pulled a gun that shot chocolate-covered cashews at her, she realized the passenger was rich, crazy, thought that The Matrix: Reloaded was real, and was Nathan Fondue. She opened the door of her truck, pulled the emergency brake, and leapt out. She could see the drop-off box up ahead. She HAD to reach it, or else revealing her identity would have been for nothing.

Each breath she took brought white-hot pain to her lungs, but she bottled it up, compressed it, and used it as fuel. Behind her, Nathan Fondue was running faster than any human should be able to go. Cursing, she stumbled. She recovered her balance, looked up, and saw the drop-off box to her right. She threw the package she had been carrying into it, before she took off running again.

The package contained a petition for the city of Oort Prange, Florida, to outlaw candy. It contained 2,524 signatures (most of which were Senise's alter egos), and was unignorable. Nathan Fondue stopped, panting. Because he had lost the race, he would have to fight the law from the outside, and he knew how hard that would be. He would have fished it out of the box, but then a cop might have come and he'd have to erase his memory and it would be really messy.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:18 am
Squall wrote a review...

Hey there, and welcome to YWS.

Detectspie Nathan Fondue yawned. It wasn't a particularly exciting yawn, just another garden-variety sleepy yawn.

1. What is a detectspie (is dumb). 2. What exactly is a garden-variety yawn? Be more specific. And how is the metaphor linked to the text? It seems rather weak as a metaphor, as it is so loosely connected with the text ( like it is just chucked there).

However, this yawn began the day of October 16th, 2005. The date itself wasn't very exciting; like the yawn it was perfectly ordinary. It had a month, a day, and a year, and was only applicable once. Nathan Fondue got up. Like the yawn and the date, the act of getting up was quite ordinary.

Repetition of ideas. And this is just info dumping; you don't make use of the conventions of writing to create an engaging and commanding hook. This is not a hook, this is just ideas thrown together and it is rather hard to digest, as already, we have to take in quite a bit of information. While I'm on it, don't you think this is rather obvious stuff?

On October 16th, 2005, Nathan Fondue began his day by performing his customary ritual of yawning and getting up and going back to sleep. When he got up again, he circled the date on his calendar, and ate a bowl of Chucky Larms' Cereal - it was magically delicious!

Again with repetition. I know you are trying to contrast one day with another, but this technique is a cliche and it is quite commonly done (not to mention that it is so boring and dull to do a tecnique like this).

After his breakfast was finished, he walked out the door to meet his limousine. Not literally, of course.

Not clever. If you are attempting wit in your sentence, you've failed.

Overall impressions:

I finished reading this and thought to myself, so what? I don't really care about the minute by minute details of his life, not when I don't even feel a connection with the characters.

Your biggest flaw is info dumping. Already, you've dumped on us several pieces of info in which we couldn't give two craps about. How do you expect us as the readers to continue reading this if you didn't take the effort to connect the audience with the characters and the story itself?

Show to us what was written here, don't spoil everything like a jerk. I mean, would you want to watch a movie where everything in the movie is just dumped to you, or a movie that slowly shows things? I certainly hope it's not the first one. Presenting a lot of facts in under 30 seconds is not a story, it's more like a seizure.

Overall, this is just boring. No emotions, no thoughts on the character, just straight on info dumping of the story and spoiling it for the readers.

Of course, the boredom of the story climaxed at your feeble attempts to create wit in your sentences. You should be quite proud of that.

"Face/palm"

Andy.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:31 am
Azila says...

It's better now.

However, this date...

was just going to say that this day was special (which it is). Thanks for your opinion!
But you go on to say that it is perfectly ordinary. :? Maybe I'm just being a dunce?

This whole piece is still a bit of a rambly info-dump. Not to be mean, because I'm sure there will be more action later on (and the rambling is hilarious) , but just something to think about.

But it IS pretty literal... I mean even if the driver isn't a limousine driver, he's still driving a limo. You go into detail that the DRIVER is extraordinary, but what about the car itself? Am I being a dunce again? :roll:

The limo had a nice black handlebar mustache, which he really liked.
The LIMO has a MUSTACHE?!?!?! Well, I guess that WOULD be an extraordinary car! ^_~
Also, I don't like the "which he really liked" bit. It's a bit too much telling and to little showing for my taste...

The limo continued down the street.
A little description wouldn't be amiss here. What is the street like?
--------

Overall, like I said, this is better. But I still think you should post more at a time...

Hope this helps, and PM me when you post Chapter 2!

~Azila~

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:36 pm
DragonWriter wrote a review...

I am confused. But in a nice way. I do not understna dit, but somehow i get what you are trying to say. It is one of those relly fun stories where you have to fugure out what the authour means. I like it. However, to some people this migh be frustrating. I do not know. Maybe you could try and add some more deatils, or just add some more period. One mopre tip! do not quite writting. You can always improve what you do, but nobody can improve what they doint. Does that make sense? I better post this before i confuse my self.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:08 pm
GryphonFledgling wrote a review...

Detectspie Nathan Fondue yawned.

What is that word at the beginning? *is confused*

These days were very special to Nathan, and he circled each one on his calendar.

What days? I am a little confused as to what distinguishes these days. You went straight from him usually waking up twice a day to the above. I was confused as to what the connection is...

On October 16th, 2005, Nathan Fondue began his day by performing his customary ritual of yawning and getting up and going back to sleep. When he got up again, he circled the date on his calendar, and ate a bowl of Chucky Larms' Cereal - it was magically delicious! - while he daydreamed. Once he finished, he had some chocolate milk and des religieuses, a french pastry. The French - now they knew how to cook. (He had been to England once. It was a traumatic experience.) After his breakfast was finished, he walked out the door to meet his limousine. Not literally, of course.

I think you mean the limo driver. I doubt the limo itself could have a mustache, let alone be proud of it. ;)

Tehe, this was quite an enjoyable little tidbit. It was rather short however, are you sure that it was 4.2 pages? How big are you writing/small is your paper?

Either way, it was a great read. I liked the way it rambled a little. It was rather funny.

Nice job. *thumbs up*

~GryphonFledgling

Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:07 pm
aszecsei says...

the corrections have been corrected, if that makes any sense...

Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:53 pm
aszecsei says...

yeah, the

- it was magically delicious! -
was supposed to be a play on Lucky Charms cereal slogan. Otherwise, yeah. The
However, this date...

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:48 pm
Azila wrote a review...

This made me laugh. Though some might say that the opening paragraph is too silly/boring/repetitive/whatever, I liked it. Great opening. :wink:

There really isn't enough to critique, but I will do my best.

It wasn't a particularly exciting yawn, just another garden-variety sleepy yawn. However, this yawn began the day of October 16th, 2005.
Saying "however" implies that you are about to say something that will contradict what you have just said, but you do not contradict what you just said here. :? You are saying that the yawn is normal, then you are saying "however, this yawn began on the day of October 16th, 2005." which makes it seem like you're about to say why beginning on that date would make the yawn exciting... Get my drift?

The date itself wasn't very exciting; like the yawn it was a perfectly ordinary date.
Repetition of the word "date"

Normally he did it twice.
How so? Twice a day? Twice a week? Month? Year? Lifetime??

When he got up again, he circled the date on his calendar, and ate a bowl of Chucky Larms' Cereal - it was magically delicious! - while he daydreamed.
This is a little awkward. Maybe try: "When he got up again, he circled the date on his calendar, then ate a magically delicious bowl of Chucky Larms' Cereal while he daydreamed." But saying that it was "magically delicious" sounds kind of like telling rather than showing. Maybe try to show more?

He really liked French food.
More telling. Try just deleting this whole sentence; the next one shows that he likes French food.
-------------

Well, like I said before, this isn't really enough to crit. You say it's two PAGES?? I think you mean PARAGRAPHS. :wink: These aren't even enough for one page. :P

I hope this helps... next time post more!

~Azila~

Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.
— Bishop Desmond Tutu