z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Fallen

by aspiringauthor45


Andrew Benoit

Gods:

Agiadei, god of the sea (male)

Pifildei, god of the sky (female)

Lanceradei, god of the dead (female)

Urbanadei, god of sorcery (male)

Duamdei, god of demons (male)

Falidei, god of travelers (female)

Sicladei, god of war (male)

Piridei, god of fire (male)

Gaiegdei, god of the earth (female)

Sitomidei, god of love (hermaphrodite: Male Personality)

















“Why don’t you talk to a rooster?” asked a man, who was promenading down the road.

“Pardon me, sir?” My mother asked grinning.

“Why should I pardon you? I was talking to the boy.”

I was very confused. This man was very rude to my mother, but she seemed to take no offense at all. She was smiling at the man and he was dismissing her. The man saw my confused face and laughed.

“What’s the boy’s name, Caroline?” The man grunted.

“Máedóc,” she answered.

“A fine lad he is. But could use some meat on his bones. A little skinny if you ask me.”

“Yes. Well, we could all have more meat on our bones.”

“True. Well, a fine day to you Caroline.”

“You too, Hotcher.” The man walked away whistling. I was much more confused than I was when the conversation began. I am always confused these days.

Hotcher, my mom called him, acted like he knew me, but I didn’t know him at all. He was very blunt and very gruff. His voice was very rough as well. An odd man. I had never met anyone like him. I spent the rest of the walk

“That was your father,” my mom said after we had gotten home. I almost tripped when she said that. My father! I was told that he had died fighting in the war against Breot. He left me before I could remember him and he has the audacity to come up to me in the streets?

The next day when I was out in the field working I saw him. He was standing across the dirt road that ran across our lands. What the hell is he doing there? He sat down and pulled out a smoking pipe. I watched as he blew smoke rings right there across from me. He didn’t even notice me. Then, right in front of my eyes he pulled out one of our corn stocks and started to eat it.

Rain and ashes. Did he just steal from us? He doesn’t pay the money to the Tar! He doesn’t toil in the fields all day. He doesn’t cook or clean. I seriously doubted this petty thief was my dad.

Whatever he was, I had been told how to deal with thieves. My uncle told me that thieves are often more scared of you than you are of them. So was gonna take his word for it.

I pulled out my dagger and charged at him. I expected him to run but he simply stood there and when I reached him he grabbed my hands so fast that I screamed. It felt as though he was ripping my arm out of its socket. I screamed and he only pulled harder. My arms burned, and he just kept pulling. I had to get out! I rammed my head into his and need him in the place where it counts. I ran as fast as I could because the way he fought he would kill me.

My head spinning I ran into the woods, where I was always at home. Many people find forest dull and boring, but that is because they are unobservant. If you wait a moment and take in everything, the forest is alive!

It was a fine day out, the sun was shining and the birds were whistling their merry tunes. Sometimes, I wonder if the animals of the forest have no worries or bothers. How nice it would be to be carefree with no hither dallies to bother you. I didn’t really have time to think about that now.

Suddenly I heard a crash. I twirled around just in time to see Hotcher running at me. Rain and ashes! This guy was fast. I jumped behind a tree before he had a chance to see me.

He stopped and spun like he was some sort of dancer. His back facing me he started to speak. “I know you're there, so you can come out of whatever hole you're hiding in”

“I am very sorry for not being there for you and your mother, but I had very important business to conduct,” he continued, “Now, be a good lad and come give me a hug.”

“Over my dead body,” I growled, “I don’t hug thieves.” His hand made a go for what I thought was a weapon. However when his hand returned he had a recorder in his hands.

His long fingers started to move gracefully as a full, strong sound resonated from the instrument. The words to the song he played went as such.

O’re rivers

O’re mountains

So far away from home,

O’re forest

O’re paths

So far away from home

What are we doing here?

So far from home

So many paths have we tread

I forgot who we were

Before all this began

“Come with me, Máedóc,” he said as the last note mournfully ended, “and no animals,” he chuckled.

I often bring animals home and nurse them if they are sick. First it was small animals like small birds and chipmunks, but Mom started to say no after the eagle and the bear.

When he finally persuaded me to follow him and we reached the edge of the forest it was dark. The moon was like a lamp against the sky. I could see all the constellations. My favorite one, Palinfor, stood out among the thousands. Palinfor was a young boy, my age: 16, that fought for the freedom of the Alliance. He died and the Gods laid him to rest in the stars.

We sat down by the fire and mother brought me water and Hotcher tea.

“I am sorry that I couldn’t be with you all these years, I was off in Casalt doing business. The kingdoms are in distress. The Breot Empire claims more and more land as their own. No one dares to oppose them. The Tar of Casalt is a brave man, but he is impulsive. Since Casalt is the leader of the Alliance of States, things are getting messy. All of the leaders are friends, but they have no one to follow. To make matters worse, communication is cut off from the country of Letoe as are goods and supplies. Basically, Emperor Lembosos is making siege against Letoe.” He has been talking of things like this the entire time. I didn’t really care, but after Mom gave me a reproachful look I pretend.

“Why doesn’t the Alliance retaliate and protect their own?”

“Emperor Lembosos is smart. Since he has not attacked any Letians, the Alliance can’t attack. However, they can use more subtle means.”

“Who are you? I mean really.”

“Your father,” Hotcher said simply.

Somewhere west of all the members of the Alliance, a soldier stood guard at Lopean Castle. It was misty that night and damp too. The guard was bored and half drunk. He could see the lights of the parties over the victories of Tar’ Deman. He wished he could be there, but his Captain forced him to stand guard. Because of all this, he could never have seen the dark, black ball of Æther swirling towards him. There were no more parties at Lopean Castle that night. There was only blood and fire. The screams could be heard for miles.

Máedóc was lying in his bed going over the conversation with his “dad” when Hotcher snuck out at night to find Calenor, a friend of Máedóc. He had stayed in constant contact with Hotcher after he left, and Hotcher felt like he owed him a visit.

When Hotcher opened the door to the cabin, the lights brightened, and shadow hunched over the fire. The shadow turned around to reveal a handsome face. Blue eyes that you could lose yourself into, blond hair, and a lean face made this teenager look very much a wise man. But this man was, of course, Calenor, Máedóc’s best friend.

“Hotcher, what brings you to the Blackwood?”

“Máedóc.”

“I won’t be a part of this any longer. I told you that. I think you should crawl back to whatever hole you came out of and continue to whisper into Tar’s ears.

“But that is not what I have come here for. Máedóc does not know what is happening in the world.”

“Fine,” answered Calenor, “Just because I owe you I will persuade him to go into the world. After that, Hotcher, you leave me out of this you hear?

The fire seemed to dim, and Calenor seemed to grow. Then everything was normal.

“Fine.” The two men stared at each other, the tension bubbling inside of them.

Hotcher walked back to his wife’s cottage, thinking. As he drew closer to the edge of the wood, he saw a bright flickering orange light. He smelled something in the air. Smoke! He raced to the house as fast as he could.

But he was too late. The house was in flames, the cattle were butchered, and the crops were trampled. Screams erupted inside the house.

Cries rang across the land.

He ran into the house as fast as his legs would let him. His son lay sprawled on the floor, he was obviously unconscious. Hotcher stepped over the boy into the kitchen. Blood was splattered across the floor. Hotcher searched the room with his mind because he couldn’t see anything in the smoke. When the smoke cleared he saw her body at the back of the room.

The face was bloody. He barely recognized it. It was Caroline! She was dead. He knelt down and cried. The flames leaped and danced around him.

He heard footsteps in the doorway. He stood up and turned around in one swift motion. Three archers stood in the doorway. Hotcher faced them bravely. He knew they wouldn’t miss.

“To whom do I owe this favor,” said Hotcher calmly. His rage was almost uncontrollable. He hoped that his face looked calm, but he wasn’t sure.

“The Emperor,” said the biggest one with a cruel smile on his battle scarred-face.

The archers drew their arrows and loaded them. They drew the string taught. They aimed at their target and released the arrows. They hit their marks, but he still stood tall. He fell with an arrow in his heart.

“Goodbye,” was all he managed to get out before he died.

All I could was watch. My parents died in front of my eyes. I was helpless. Calenor saved me from those men. He ran down from his forest home when he heard yelling.

“We need to talk,” said Calenor, “ The things that happened last night shouldn’t have happened. Those men should have never gotten across the border from Breot.”

Calenor is blunt and unsympathetic, and many people think that he is mean, but that is just a coating of protection. Once you get to know him he is very kind, still blunt, but kind. I told him that I would talk to him later and left.

I had to go into town to pronounce my parents dead. Although… a wash wouldn’t hurt either. Priorities.

After washing myself off, I grabbed a brown cloak from a hook beside the door. I pulled it on myself. It was cleaned from the last time I used it.

Getting into town was easy, finding the correct place was not. I finally figured out to go to the bank and check the deposits. The people at the bank were helpful, but reluctant to give me the possessions. The funeral was brief, and not many people came. Weeks later, I was still mourning my loss. It felt like it would never end. Like I was just swirling down, deeper and deeper, into this oblivion. I just moved around lying to myself, saying everything is going to be ok. They will be back for supper.

I heard a twig snap underfoot directly behind me. I twirled around. The man that had made the noise was broad shouldered and very tall. His face never twitched from the stoical expression he wore. His eyes didn’t betray any emotion either. He had long dark hair that came down to his shoulders. He wore a dull gray cloak. He was young but older than me. 25 maybe 30?

He looked me over carefully as if evaluating me. Another voice navigated its way through the trees to where Naeder and I were standing.

“You two chums ain't gonna get nowhere if ye just standing ‘round like statues! It’s a heck ofa long walk t’ the nearest town don'ta know? If ya folk are just gonna walk all the way t’ a port then ya poor legs are gonna crumble beneath ya.” The man that had spoken was older with a gray beard. He wore simple clothes and had a staff in his hand. I noticed that he did not lean on the staff like a cane or a walking stick. It was gnarled and old and he grasped it like it was an old friend.

“Do I know either of you?” I asked.

“I have yet to gain your acquaintance, but I do think that we will be friends. I am Naeder,” said the younger one.

“What is your name sir?” I asked the old man.

“Ol’ boyo you can call me Dafran. Come down from them mountains up north. Ain't you a dear to ask such a polite question. I was a merchant from t’ Ol’ South.”

“What were you doing in the Northern mountains?” I asked trying to make polite conversation. These two really

“I was mining the precious silver up there, only thing to’ can kill a werewolf don’t ya know?”

“You are a werewolf hunter? They are famed throughout the land that I inhabits. I think that men could make a fortune of that,” said Naeder. I knew he was right. My uncle that used to visit my cottage was one. He would give my aunt expensive gifts such as necklaces and rings. He often gave me toy swords and bows, but the last couple times he visited he insisted on giving me a real silver inlaid dagger, sword, and a bow. My aunt was very hard to convince, but she finally relented. I was modest with the sword and dagger, but nobody stood a chance against me and my bow. We would often hold archery contests in the town. At first I would just watch, dreaming of my turn. Then I mustered up as much courage as I could and I participated. I won!

“Máedóc,” I heard a voice break through my thoughts. Behind me stood my Calenor. Calenor immediately took to both of the others and soon we were sitting around a fire telling stories. Calenor kept shooting suspicious glances my way when he thought I wasn’t looking. I was looking, though.

When the fire was almost out Dafran, Naeder and Calenor looked at each other and nodded in agreement. My suspicions that they knew each other were confirmed.

“I think that this location is as good as any for our camp,” said Neader.

“And your ole friend Dafran is gonna join you if you would be a dear and let me, boyo.”

“I think I will stay as well,” said Calenor.

Everyone looked at me expecting me to stay with them too. But I couldn’t stay with them. I needed to go back to my house and decide what I am going to do.

“I’m sorry, but I need to go back to my house.”

My body ached as I leaned on my shovel that I had found in the tool shed. It was a beautiful red sunset. The sky seemed to glow with the deep blood colored sun. Then as it faded into blackness I knew that my life could only get better from here.

Tomorrow I would make markers for their graves. As I was walking back to the house, I saw a girl. one the trail, my age laying on the ground. She was bloodied with and cut on her leg. I felt a twinge of affection for the poor girl. I picked her up and carried her to the shed.

I laid her on the floor gently and got out my medicine box. I found my poppy and made her eat it. I tended to her wound and then covered them with my bandages. I took the blanket and covered her in it. I then sat down next to her and brushed aside her hair.

I awoke before the girl did. I redid the bandage. I got her out of the bed and washed her. Nothing improper, but she was all bloody and it was kind of pathetic to see someone like that. I wanted to leave, but I couldn’t leave her here. I got stuck in a routine of caring for her, finding food and sleeping.

One day I was playing random tunes on my flute and she woke up.

“Where am I?” She asked. Her voice was hoarse from underuse.

“You're in what remains of my house. It’s a little small. I’m sorry.”

“What happened ?”

I told her and she seemed satisfied.

“My name is Erina. My family was going to move into the house next to this one when we were raided by bandits.

“My name is Máedóc.” We had this weird little moment when we just stared at each other.

As I went out I couldn’t help but think that she is very pretty. She had auburn hair and her eyes were a deep green. I went into the forest checking my traps for animals. I found some rabbits and squirrels and one fox. When I got back Erina wasn’t alone. Calenor was sitting by the fire too. They were talking and tending the fire.

“How did you meet him?” Said Erina.

“We’ve known each other since we were born. His aunt raised both of us until the age of thirteen. That’s when I moved out to my current cottage. His aunt needed him to work the fields, I took up too much space and I didn’t work. She was nice but obviously wanted me out. So I moved out.”

I stayed in the forest listening to the conversation until Erina spotted me. She took my hand and dragged me out by the fire. She took my findings and started cooking them. Ever since she healed she insisted on doing the cooking saying that it was a woman’s job. And she was good too. The first time she cooked I was scared that I would be sick, but as it turned out I loved the food. She loved to cook and I loved her food so she was almost always by the fire cooking. Today she decided to cook a fresh squirrel with dried fruits that she collected on the side.

While we were eating, Calenor made a rude remark that offended Erina. I told him off and he got quite mad. I went over to ask him what was wrong.

“Whats up?”

“We need to go,” he said.

When I asked him why he said that we had impending business to conduct.

“We can’t go. I’ve lived here all my life, I can't leave now.”

“What's here for you? Nothing but a pile of ashes and a burnt down house. Oh, maybe a girlfriend.” My face burned at that comment.

“Máedóc please,” he was pleading now, “ we need to go.”

“Fine.”

I gathered my supplies for the journey. When we left for the journey, Dafran and Neader met us outside of town.

“Hello! Join us,” said Neader

“It ain’t a true party without you! Dont’a know!” commented Dafran. I introduced Erina and they paid their proper respects to her. “You’ve got a good friend there Missy Erina.” Erina blushed at being called Missy but thanked him.

“Methinks that our companions are parched from their walk and would like a refreshment. We must embark for the Cat’s Claw!”

That tavern is notorious for fights, but its drinks are amazing! Perruca, the owner was a Picura, a cat being. He often pulled out his claws when the fights got rough, so it was nicknamed the Cat’s Claw and it stuck.

Dafran rolled his eyes and winked at me but said nothing.

“What’s that?” Said Erina. Oh, gods, we can’t bring her in there!

“You guys go, I’ll stay with Erina.” They seemed to get what I meant and left.

“Why are you and I staying here?”

“That place is a great place to get drunk and have fun but not exactly the best place for women”

She blushed as red a rose. We both simultaneously laughed and continued to laugh until we couldn’t breathe. I pulled out the bread and apples I had found and Erina had baked. I bit into the bread hungrily. Darn, it was good! It was still warm but not burning hot. It melted in my mouth and became sweet. It was soft and hard at the same time. In seconds, I devoured three out of the four pieces of bread.

“So you liked it I take it?” Said Erina

“Sorry,” I feebly mumbled, “You’re just good at baking.”

“Don’t worry. My brother used to follow me around nagging me to bake him sweets and cookies. Then he would devour them and he would make me make more.”

“That’s why you spend so much time in the kitchen,” she nodded and smiled. When she smiled, her dimples emerged. It’s cute.

“You have odd friends don’t you? I feel out of place here with you guys.”

“I wouldn’t really call them my friends. I often feel out of place as well. It seems that everybody but you and me know’s what we are doing. Between me and you I think that they aren’t really who they say they are. Neader has a broad shoulder like he has been wearing armor and swinging swords all his life. The way he holds himself, I think that he is or was royalty.”

“What about Dafran?” She asked.

“He says he is a merchant, but he has nothing to sell. And down here at the Cold Coast the economy is based off of farming not trading. A good merchant doesn’t go where there is no business. I believe that he is a spy from Lifway, they often use the position merchant as a cover.”

“You are very observant. I would never have even guessed that.”

“It pays to have nothing to do but farm work and selling food! I observe the buyers and sellers and make guesses about them. Later I ask around. I have learned how to tell different types of people apart.”

“Why do you think they are hiding these things from you?”

“Well, Calenor knew them before we met them in the woods so I’ll bet that he and the others set up a meeting. Why are they keeping secrets? My guess is as good as yours. I won’t ask though I have secrets I would like to keep as well.”

We started to talk of thing that we would do when we grow up, where we wanted to live, and other small talk. I kept a conversation going, but really my mind had wandered to various times in my life when my aunt, Calenor, and my uncle seemed to know more than me. More than I could count on my fingers and toes!

Soon Erina yawned and said good night. My eyes were feeling droopy, but I stayed awake. When I did fall asleep only dreams and nightmares awaited.

I woke up before the sun was up. I was sweaty and scared. and Calenor and the others were back sleeping on the mats we rolled out for them. Erina was sleeping too. With nothing to do, I got up to go into town. When I reached the town gates the guard was asleep. He looked comical with his helmet drooped over his eyes. His red and gold uniform was two sizes big for him so he looked like a kid playing “Daddy”. I tapped his shoulder with my walking stick.

“Huh? Who are you?” He said waking up with a start. He pulled out his spear, but it was pointed the wrong way. He pulled up his helmet and blushed when he noticed that his spear was facing the wrong way.

“My name is Máedóc, and I come from a farm south of here. My mother sells cabbages and radishes.”

“Luggage?”

“Nothing.”

“Pass!” I entered the town with a smile on my face. I smelled of freshly baked bread. Every time I had been here before I had a mission, selling, buying, watching. But I had no time to look at the beauty of the buildings and architecture.

It was still early when I left town. It was humid and dry today so I was sweating with my cloak on. I didn’t want to take it off in case one of those archers came back. When I reached the camp Erina was making breakfast. It smelled like oatmeal!

“Mmm, that smells good!” She jumped.

“Oh, it’s just you! Where were you?”

“In town. I got up early and you guys were sleeping like angels so I couldn’t bring myself to wake you up.” I went over to the oatmeal and grabbed the spoon getting ready to eat some.

“Hey!” said Erina playfully, “Get your grubby paws off!” I sighed.

“What’s the point of you making great food if I can’t have any?”

“It’s not ready yet you greedy lil’ pike!” I pretended to be hurt. A little while later she served me the oatmeal, then sat down next to me with her own bowl. After I took a bite, she asked me if I liked it.

“Do I like it? Yes!” Our conversation went silent and awkward. She looked like she was trying to be happy but was still really sad.

“I’m gonna go and get some firewood.”

I stood up and walked a little. I ended at a little clearing. The trees, redwoods, towered over me with dominance. A shrine dedicated to Gaieg was built in the middle. It was humble but glorious in a way. I felt drawn to it. As I stepped closer the trees whooshed like they were trying to convey a message to me.

“What do you want?” I whispered to no one. I don’t know what I was expecting but, of course, no one answered. The shrine seemed to grow twice it’s size.

Something was off. The trees seemed to come closer and the sky darkened. The wind started to whirl around me. A tornado of wind electricity came down from the sky. My hair brushed in my face. I could feel the power in the air. As the tornado got closer and closer to the ground energy grew visible and tangible. I knew this was someone of great power.

It touched the ground and then disappeared leaving a huge amount of dust in the air. When the dust cleared I saw a woman dressed in a long green dress that seemed to have the entire forest inside of it. Her hair was sepia and flowed down her back fluently. Her eyes were a shade of Tyrian purple.

Her eyes. The rest of the body might be described at parties to friends and marveled over, but her eyes could have been in sagas and epics.

“Nice to meet you, Máedóc. I have been wanting to talk to you for a very, very long time.” Her voice was like water traveling over a stone walkway.

“You have?”

“Yes, you have drawn the attention of many of the gods. It is interesting, that such a small mortal should draw that much… attention.”

“Gods!? The gods have been watching me?”

“Of course! They watch all you earth dwellers. You're not special. Many heroes have been gifted with immortality.”

“Are you Gaiegdei?”

“Why yes! God of the earth and all things that grow!”

“What is the purpose of this visit? Why have I been graced with your presence?” I asked respectfully.

“Ha! Stop sucking up!” She paused, thinking. “Do you know about the trouble with The Empire?” I nodded, giving her the go ahead.

“Well, it is more complicated than land disputes. It has become a divine problem. It has caused tension among the gods. Some have taken favor with The Empire other remain with the Alliance. Some are trying to stay neutral, but it is seeming less and less likely every year.”

“I am passionately for the Alliance because The Empire is very industrial and destroys my property for their roads and cities. You, young man, are at the center of it all. If it comes to war you will tip the tides one way or another.”

“If The Empire and the Alliance are fighting why does that concern the gods? Wouldn’t be in their best interest to stay above the fray? How does it benefit them?” She waved her hand as if waving away a fly.

“Well, it really doesn’t matter, we just get bored every once and awhile. And mortal wars always entertain us. We pick sides for fun. The winning team then gets to mock the losing team. It passes the time.” She giggled like a young girl meeting her crush. I don’t know what set me off. It could have been her voice or the way she giggled, but I swelled with anger and resentment. I kept it inside because she was a bloody god.

I walked away from my first, and hopefully my last, conversation with a god. And needless to say, it did not go well. I trudged back to camp as it started to rain. By the time I got there, it was pouring and I was soaked to the bone and freezing cold. I saw a tent pitched so I ran towards it. When I got inside Erina gave me dry clothes and a towel. They had a fire going so I was not cold. But something worried me, as we talked and laughed. I had a feeling that we were being watched.

In the deeps of the forest, he stood waiting. He only needed to wait. They would wake up, he knew they would. He had been watching them for days now.

His story was a sad one, a tale told only at fires and in rocking chairs. He was born in a village called Treetop, that grew coconuts, during a farm crisis. His mother died at childbirth so he had no memory of her. He was raised by a stepmother who treated him like a prince. This life was nice but when he got old enough his dad forced him to work in the fields. It was tiring work, and he had no time to waste. He woke up at 2:00 and worked until 10:30. His dad started pushing him to exhaustion. Then his stepmother died, leaving them devastated. His father turned on him throwing him out of the house. He traveled to the nearby town and booked a room at a tavern. He worked to pay off the tab then left. He met an old warrior that offered to house and feed him if he worked around the house. He lived there for years slowly learning how to fight. The old man taught him everything he knew but was killed by an assassin. The killer took him under his wing teaching him to be an assassin. He got a name. Zabo. Zabo became a mercenary and an assassin. He killed countless amounts of people before he learned that he was a sanguidei.

He shook his head, he never thought of that now. That life was behind him now. He was let down by society and the only man left to him was his master. He turned back to the human camp puzzled. They were gone! He growled. It wouldn’t be hard to pick up their scent again, but it frustrated him. He walked towards the old camp camly. He had all day.

“That my friends is the Citadel, the grandest city in the Cold Coast area,” said Calenor. “It survived the wars of the monks and the wars of the barons. It’s walls are the thickest in the Alliance. They invented siege weapons. But that is unimportant. It is the beauty and the brains that make it a hub for activity.”

“They made the aqueduct and the thermometer. The city is called the house of poets because of the poetry that is created here.”

I can’ wait to get inside Ol’ boys, it must be buzzn’ with excitement don’t ya know?” Said Dafran.

I ignored the conversation. I had felt a barrier since the day I met the god. Every day I feel farther and farther apart from my friends. I looked at the city with wonder. Who had taken the time to build the wonders of the world? Was it worth it? Did they know that they, we are just playthings of the gods? No, they don’t for those walls and towers were built in honor of them. I shook my head.

As we entered the city Erina gasped. I leaned my neck to see the towers that touched the sky. The walls were thicker than dragonhide. The actual Citadel had three half-spheres and a tall tower. It’s entrances were arched and had wonderful paintings of the gods and their servants. The whole city seemed to glow with beauty. When I turned my head back to the ground, I saw people of all skin tones and races. The upper part of the city might be for the rich and royalty. But the true beauty of the city lay in the merchants, peasants, and other low-class workers. They brought the city it’s vibrant diversity and aura of friendship and life. The tents held the riches of the city. Not the goods, the people.

We walked towards the nearest tavern we could find. It was close to the barracks, understandably. It was called “the Horse and the Thief”. It was nice looking compared to other taverns I have seen in my life. It looked like a cabin that you might see in the mountains. Logs, clay, the real deal. The lanterns emitted a small amount of light so as the sun set it got dark. Calenor pushed the door open and Neader went next followed by Dafran. Erina went next and I went last.

Erina smiled at me as she went into the pub. I waited until the door was shut until I entered.

The tavern was dimly lit like the outside but the electricity in the air made up for the darkness. It wasn’t packed full, but a fair amount of the tables were filled. The crowd had no hoods which were a bonus. Calenor had already booked us for a night so I headed to a table.

A waitress came by and asked me what I would like to drink. I said nothing so she would leave. When the group came back they ordered food and drink. I refrained.

“I have been thinking about this on the journey,” I said

“Is that why you have been so quiet?” Said Calenor with a suspicious tone in his voice.

“Yeah, something like that. So, I know that Calenor has a plan, but I think I need to be on my own. You guys can do what you want, but I might stay here for a while or I might just leave.”

Anger flashed in Calenor’s eyes. His expression darkened and his eyes narrowed. As soon as the expression arrived it left. Dafran looked surprised and Neader looked sad. Erina was a different story. Her eyes said that she was heartbroken, but her body said that she was angry. And surprised.

“What is the room number?” I asked sadly.

“204,” said Calenor. Now he looked hurt.

I walked up the stairs to the room. I opened the door and fell asleep in the corner farthest away from the five beds. One would stay empty tonight.

Zabo chuckled. People amused him. They fought amongst themselves to the point of one departing. But something puzzled him. He had neither seen nor heard any arguing since following them. And he had been following them since before they got together. He knew their stories, he knew their past. They would fall. He had one thought as he saw the weary traveler enter room 204. Master will want to know.

I got up before the others did. It was good. I planned to leave before they awoke so that I didn’t change my mind about leaving them. It was hard, but I knew it was the best decision. I gathered my stuff. I packed my cloak and my weapons. I buckled the sword to my belt and put the quiver and bow over my shoulders. I put on clothes and walked out the door. Erina was standing right there looking at the door.

“Planning on leaving without saying goodbye? That’s cold!” She smiled at me, but I didn’t smile back.

“I’ll miss you, Erina. But this is what I need to do.”

I walked to the bar for a place to go. I had thought about what I wanted to do with my life last night. I had decided that the army was the right place for me.

“What can I do for ya?” the bartender asked.

“Do you know if I can join the army?” I asked. I wanted to know if I was old enough.

“The Alliance is always looking for fresh soldiers to throw in the war against The Empire. They’d take ya’ no doubt about it.”

I thanked him and gave him a gold Riyal for his service.

“That pays for room 204.”

“Whoa, there big spender! That’s way too much! It cost a Copper Riyal! Ya’ could pay five months of my salary with this thing!”

“Keep it.” I really didn’t want it. I pushed open the door into the sunlight. I looked towards the barracks. They were a series of buildings. Some were bigger than others. I saw a sign that said “The Empire kills your wives and children. They burn your towns and villages! Fight back with the Alliance Army!”

A man in plate armor stood at a door. I walked up to him. His helmet pointed at the top, with a plume of red feathers sticking out. His armor was new, it reflected the sun. He had a beard but not a big one. He was a big man. He seemed to be a descendant of the Stone Giants. Though he was intimidating, his eyes were a soft blue. He looked like he wouldn’t hurt a Water Hafling.

“How can I sign up for the army?” I asked. “I want to fight The Empire.”

“You’ve come to the right place. My name is Usceionima,” said the big man. “You’ll be put through basic training and then sent out to fight. The basic training only takes four weeks because we need a lot of soldiers.”

“The name is-” but before I could finish Usceionima interrupted me.

“I really don’t care, just give me a nickname.” He stared at me for a long time.

“Medo.” I finally said, “ The name’s Medo.”

“Now Medo, sign your name here.”

He showed me to the barracks where I was welcomely warmed by the members of the 16th legion. He pointed to a bunk in the back of the room with a gray cloth sheet on it. Above it was another man’s bunk, it was unmade and clothes were all over it. Just my luck to end up with a slob.

A man walked through the door, strutted past us and plopped down on the bed above me. He was wearing golden armor and a helmet that covered his all of his head except his face. The helmet had a plume on it.

“What are you staring at?” He asked when he noticed that I was looking at him.

“Uh, nothing’” I answered.

He snorted and look towards the rest of the barracks. They smiled and laughed.

“Don’t let Scuimus bully you!” said one soldier in the front of the room. “He acts tough and big with his shiny armor, but really he’s weak and the worst of us! The names Adim, what's yours?”

“Medo,” I answered, “Thanks for the advice. If you don’t mind me asking, why is the front bunk empty?” People laughed.

Adim smiled a crooked grin but answered, “That bunk is commander Jak’ra’s. Our leader. He is said to be the fiercest in battle. He is said to have such a battle fury that even Scila is afraid when he enters the battlefield!” He snarled and bared his teeth. “Grrrr!” I laughed and he laughed too. There was scattered laughter, but most groaned.

“Shut up you pinhead,” yelled one of the men in the back of the room.

“They don’t think I’m funny. I am, though!” The door creaked and opened. A man dressed in a brown cloak with the hood up entered the room. His cloak showed his chest, there was a gray chest plate with gold decals that seemed to glow.

“Sir!” The men answered. They seemed mindless compared to the laughter and personality that filled the air. I could sense minds and persons beneath the army grandeur. I guess that’s what happens when you are drilled in obedience every day. If I stay long enough then I think I will be one of them.

“Sir, we have a new recruit, Sir!” Said Adim.

“Adim you know that I don’t like all the formality of the army. We are one family and without trust we can’t have unity. And no army is good without unity. Some commanders like to enforce unity by complete obedience, I like to enforce it with friendship,” his voice was gruff, but he talked softly, “Who is the new recruit?” The man that was speaking had chiseled features, with a graceful smile. He had a scar down his cheek crossing his mouth giving a stunning appearance. His hair was messy, but he was cleanly shaven. He had dark black eyes, that seemed to see into your very soul.

Adim pushed me forward towards the man, whispering into my ear, “Be polite, but treat him like a father. Don’t call him sir.”

“What is your name?”

“Medo.”

“I want you to understand that I won’t stand for anything wrong. We are all brothers here. Usually, we would give you a tour and a welcome, but we are being shipped out to fight The Empire first thing in the morning. I’m Jak’ra. If you need anything come to me.”

“Uh… I don’t have weapons, or a uniform,” I stammered.

“Adim!” He barked, “Take this man to the armory and let him choose his weapon.” Adim led me down a hallway bobbing as he walked. He led me to a door with three locks on it. It must be the armory. After he unlocked the locks, I opened the door. Inside was the biggest arsenal of weapons I have ever seen. There were axes on one side, bows on another, swords, shields, helmets, pikes, maces, spears, chest plates, full body armor, boots, gauntlets, and all types of weapons imaginable.

“So many choices,” I murmured. I took a short bow off the wall along with a quiver of arrows.

“Good choices, we have a few archers. Are you any good?” Said Adim.

“Best in the Sidim County!” I smiled.

“That’s a large county if I remember correctly. Bet I’m better!” An impish grin grew on his face, giving him a childlike demeanor. I grinned back at him.

“Your on buster!” So it was decided. We would have an archery contest on the way to the port.

As we traveled, I began to understand why all of the men were so hive minded. We moved as one, with one mind leading us. It looked stupid and silly if you messed up so I quickly learned the maneuvers, signals, and calls.

We marched through a small town on our way. The occupants of the town greeted us warmly, lining the streets as we marched through. They threw flowers and cheered us on.

One little girl shly came up to me and gave me a medallion. She said, “Keep us safe mister soldier. We love you.” She walked off her braids bouncing slightly.

“Medo!” I heard a voice, snapping me out of my thoughts. “Keep up!”

As we marched on I realized why everyone despised army clothing. It was not made for comfort. They were warm and tight. I kept adjusting my armor and sword to make it more comfortable.

“There a town up the road a little ways,” said Jak’ra, “We will stay there and rest.” We nodded and continued marching.

When we got to the town, we found a little plain for us to rest on. Adim came over.

“Do you still want to try to beat me in a contest, greenie?” He asked jokingly.

“Yes, sir!” I got a tall thin stick and placed it into the ground. I then took thirty long strides and laid down a log.

“How in the devil are you guys gonna hit that?” Said one soldier called Cai. “No man alive could hit it, mayhaps the gods even!” I chuckled.

“Cai, if neither of us hit the target then it will be the one closer to the target. And Cai, if I miss you can bop me on the side of the head like thunder!”

Adim and I lined up at the log each confident that the other couldn’t hit a 6 by 6 tree.

“You can shoot first Adim,” I said. He nodded and drew his arrow. He pulls the string and the arrow as one. I could see the link that all good archers have. He was the arrow body soul and mind. He realized the arrow, and it traveled through the air making a whistling sound that only a trained ear could hear. I could see it traveling, moving, and hitting the target.

Dead center. Everybody looked at Adim and whistled. Some cheered, others just stood and stared.

Jak’ra smiled and looked and me “Do you give up?”

“No, Sir.” I answered politely. Adim smiled grimly at me as if to say, “Good luck”. I drew back my arrow with confidence, but I knew it would take a miracle to beat Adim. I tightened the arrow onto the bow, and released. Time seemed to slow down. I could feel the arrow’s essence and lead it towards Adim’s arrow. I heard a CRACK and saw my arrow break his in half.

The crowd didn’t go wild like the time I did the same thing at the fair, it didn’t whistle, like they did for Adim, they didn’t pat me on the back, in fact, most of them just stared. Jak’ra looked at me and gave me a wry smile. His eyes looked at me in awe and wonder. I returned his smile, though surely not feeling the way he did. I had beaten Adim, but it didn’t feel like a victory.

Later that day, after we had pitched our tents and started a fire, a horn blasted through the air. The deep rumbling sound let us know that something was not right. We grabbed our weapons and ran towards the sound.

We stopped when we heard somebody yell “Dragon!” All heads whipped towards the sky. There above us was a dragon.

It was a deep shade of purple. It’s claws where the size of our faces. It had horns on its neck that were so white that it blinded you to look at them. It’s wings cast shadows as big as buildings. When it opened it’s mouth we saw teeth that could cut through any metal and pierce any armor. It reared back its head and we saw its eyes. Those eyes, that gleamed pure hatred and evil. That could make even the bravest of men scramble back to their hovels. That eye caused chaos and terror wherever they looked. It’s fire came out like a tornado. It was a beautiful sight, but also a horrible one. All that the fire touched was obliterated and turned to chards. It’s tail whipped men, flying into the sky screaming. The fell to the ground with a thud. When the fire stopped, we ran.

We trampled over one another to get to safety. Men’s skulls were crushed under boots. The dragon swooped down and picked off the unlucky men, tearing them into pieces as if they were dolls. It’s fire streaked across the sky burning entire waves of men. We were to scared to fight back. Finally, Jak’ra rallied us and lead us in a charge against a dragon. We threw our spears against it, but the bounced off it’s hide.

“You have arrows don’t you?” Jak’ra screamed.

“Yes sir,” I replied.

“Then use ‘em for god's sake!” He ran off to some other soldier.

I pulled my bow out and readied an arrow. Suddenly it flew over my head and I saw a white circle of flesh. I ran to Adim and told him to aim for the circle of flesh. We fired our arrows, none of them hitting the mark. We did hit it in the eye, which made it made it thrash and shake. It’s fire was making it hot in our armor, but we couldn’t take it off. Finally, one of our arrows hit the flesh. It started to fall to the ground. We ran away from the point of impact, hoping not to be crushed under the dragon. When it hit the ground the entire land tremored. It’s mouth opened once more and it breathed it last fire. The devastation was over.

I looked around and saw the ground littered with mutilated bodies and pieces of armor, smeared in blood. Men moaning and screaming. The land was scorched black by the dragon’s fire.

We gathered near a tree untouched by fire. Looking at the crowd I would say we lost about a fourth of our 5,050 strong. Ja’kra walked past the crowds and stopped at the center of our semicircle. He faced us with a grim look on his face.

“Comrades, and brothers!” He said with a confident tone, “Today we have lost many of our members. Many we dear friends, that would stay with us forever. Their lives were cut short by the dragon, that swept upon us like a plague, picking us off and killing us. This massacre was unforeseen. We fought back against our foe killing him. But our comrades who fell here today shall not be forgotten! They shall always be remembered because they gave their lives so that we could continue our mission,” He padded his heart with his fist, “Here! Here is where they shall be remembered and honored. We must not let them die in vain. We must continue what they started and gave the full sacrifice for. We must finish this war!” He let out a yell that we picked up very quickly.

“Form ranks and prepare to remake camp,” came Adim’s voice. We did as told.

As we marched I couldn’t help thinking of my friends back at the Inn. I saw the fun times we had the arguments, the meals we shared, the secrets we didn’t.

I was awakened from memory lane by the command of Jak’ra. “Halt!” We had stopped at the outskirts of a small town. I looked at the sign trying to make out what it said. Spruce Plains. Sounded more like a rich person’s in than a town!

The town was simple and modest but had a very homey feeling about it. The buildings had a nice wood outline and then clay walls. The roofs were slanted making the building taller than it actually was. The sizes varied, the houses being a bit bigger than the shops. The tallest building looked like a place of worship.

“ Ow come dey only gat one place ta worshap? Ain’t dey supposed da have more? One fa each god?” said a man named Nek. Nek had dark skin and had the same muscles as an ox. Unfortunately, the brain of an ox came with it too. He had a lopsided grin and unkempt hair. He was always dirty no matter how many times he bathed.

“Idiot!” Said Scuimus. “They can put multiple shrines inside the one building!” Scuimus was a bully. From the first day, I met him he was always trying to throw his weight around. Time I did something about it.

“Hey, Scuimus! Your mother smack you as a baby or something?!” I asked him.

“Alright Eleg, you can talk with your fancy language, and have your knowledge to throw around, but we know you are pretending to be a big guy when you are really you are the weakest link of our chain. I’ll bet you wet yourself when your Mommy gave you a punishment!”

“Scuimus, when it comes to insults you wouldn’t stand five seconds in a tavern.” That must have hit some old wound or memory because he brandished his sword and charged at me. I pa

“Not a way to make friends is it?” Said a voice from behind me. “More like enemies.”

“Hi Adim,” I said. “How bad is the punishment? How did Jak’ra respond?

“You’ve been promoted!” I let my mouth hang for a second before shutting it.

“Let me get this straight. I beat a dude up, probably in a way to get court martialed, and our commander who is supposed to be in charge of keeping the peace and order, promotes me?”

“Jak’ra isn’t really big on this punishment thingy. He prefers to promote those who show independence and the ability to think quickly. You have shown this twice. Once with the dragon and once with Scuimus.”

“Well, what is my new job?”

“You are Captain of the Archers, 16th legion! Your pay, if we ever get paid, is raised by two silver Riyals. You are in charge of 25 men at arms and only answer to Jak’ra.” It took me a second to take it all in. 25 men?

“Surely there are more experienced men than me who could take the job. I am still a greenie!”

“Do you want the promotion?” Said a voice from behind us, “I can easily give it to someone else.”

I snapped to attention. How long had Jak’ra been standing there listening to our conversation?

“No..I um..,” I stuttered, “Thank you.”

“You won’t be thanking me soon. Being a Captain is a tough job, but enough of that! Are you ready to meet your crew?” Without waiting for my answer, I found myself being swept along by Jak’ra. His grip was firm and his nails dug into my skin.

They didn’t look like much of a promotion. The group was a bunch of old men, that had been in service too long. They were unequipped, with almost no arrows. The men were a sad looking bunch.

I looked to Jak’ra. He smiled.

“This is your team. The veterans of our group.” He gave me a wink. I sighed. Oh well, I thought. I had to make something of it.

“Sir! I need a new supply of arrows and possibly armor!”

“The arrows you will have to make yourselves. I can only give small amounts of armor. Mostly armor that you would wear under full sets of armor.”

“That would be better. I would prefer these guys to be able to move around easily. Not that it is already easy to move around.” Jak’ra smiled. He walked off.

“All right! My name is Medo! I will be your commanding officer! I haven’t fought many battles or killed many people, but I think I can whip you guys into fighting shape!”

“Sir, I think your enthusiasm is great, but how can we fight? We are old and our joints creak when we walk.”

“Everybody gets old! That is not an excuse! That is just an obstacle to overcome!” They grumbled. Apparently that was not a popular idea. I left them to their complaints.

With my promotion I had gotten my own tent I think. I needed to find it. The camp smelled like home. It smelled like meat over fire. Sweat, because most didn’t bathe. I heard the sound of the cavalry training, the infantry fighting. I heard screaming, and curses. I was at peace. I ran up to Adim.

“Hey! Adim!” He turned.

“Yes? Can I help the newly promoted, newly awesome, ungreenie commander?”

“Yes, you can! I can’t find my tent! I get one right?”

“Yes, you do. It is located next to Jak’ra’s. It hasn’t been occupied for quite a while now. It isn’t in the best shape. Follow me.” I did as he asked. We walked past the cavalry post, and through the main tents. It was right next to Adim’s and Jak’ra’s. It was... interesting. It was bright green and had gold stripes across it. The banner had a spear crossed with a sword and an arrow at the bottom. The flag was torn and had a hither dallie feel to it.

“Well? What do you think?”

“Well....it could use some cleaning up, and the flag is out of date. The coloring could have a lot to be desired, but besides that, it’s great!”

“Jak’ra wants to talk to you mate,” said a new voice, “said something about strategy and secret leader stuff.” I turned around to see Œisn standing there. I had met him the day before and had taken a liking to him. He was a member of the Ætei, a type of elf. We had spoken, and once he learned that I spoke his tongue he warmed to me.

He was a tall fellow, with long raven black hair. He was light skinned and had an aura of knowledge. Indeed, that very language flowed from his lips; he was a mind bank. We stayed up discussing philosophy, theories, and religion.

“Okay. See you around,” I walked towards the big tent. The flap was closed and there was a dim light emitting out of it. I opened the flap and called his name.

“Jak’ra? You wanted to see me?”

“Yes. I wanted to tell you about our plans. You know the main objective of the army is to defeat the Empire. That is become insignificant compared to what we have recently learned. A castle west of here, far west, in fact, was attacked.”

“What is unusual about that?”

“The fact itself isn’t unusual, it is the way they got attacked that is. The fight was preceded by a ball of Dark Æther. It surrounded the city. All attempts to escape were repulsed by this magic. Then an army of men in dark armor, with glowing red eyes. These men weren't harmed by weapons at all. The only thing that seemed to harm them was fire.”

“Why does that concern us? We have to worry about the Empire.”

“I would be inclined to agree with you, but this is a bigger threat than we could have ever imagined. This army will only get stronger the more conquests it goes on. It seems human killed by the soldiers becomes like them. And they are making their way to our lands.”

“Then what shall we do?”

“We are setting up peace talks with the Empire. We hope once they see the danger, we can unite with a common cause,” his face darkened.

“But we have seen little success in contacting them. We have received orders to withdraw our troops and move them to the Western border in order the protect us against the invaders. They will come from the sea.” He dismissed me from his tent.

Zabo was waiting. He always was. This time, he was waiting for the boy to pull up his fly. Sometimes stalking people could be embarrassing.

He had been watching the kid for his entire life and he still hadn’t gotten used to seeing the kid relieve himself. He hadn’t been exactly sure what the General and the kid had said to each other last night, but he had gotten the just of it. It sounded a lot like his master’s plans.

The Lusters, Zabo had nicknamed them. That was because their lust for blood and conversion was unstoppable. Sometimes Zabo’s Master scared him. He had this master plan to control the Alliance and their wealth. Because of what his master had done for him he was bound to him and his wishes.

The kid had moved while Zabo was deep in thought. It aggravated him that he was always doing this kind of thing. So he left to find the kid.

He found him in his tent. He was writing something at the desk in it, well it really couldn’t be called a desk. It was more of an artist’s table. He had one small candle on the edge of it for light. He was writing madly and very fast.

By the strokes and the way a human writes his letters, Zabo began to decipher what the kid was writing.

Move First LT Nhai's troops to flank Second LT Jika right. Use a series of right obliques to counter any enemy movement. This will be a diversion to force the monsters out. The rest under the command of Colonel Ja’lifi. The Col. will use torches to harm the monsters.

CPT. Medo of The 50th Battalion

Zabo smiled. This is what the master had expected. The monsters would not be there. Zabo had fed them false information. The Lusters are still across the sea.

“Hey! You there!” a voice yelled. “What are you doing?” Zabo had been caught. That was not good.

He turned around and put his hand up. Three soldiers stood there with their pikes facing him.

“Hello boys,” Zabo said, “How goes it?” How had this happened? Him, Zabo, got caught by simple guards? There had to be a bigger brain that had caught him.

“He was right were the commander said he would be! We might get a promotion for this!” He had been right! Jak’ra had caught him!

He put his hands down to his sides. It looked like a harmless movement to the guards, but they didn’t know he had throwing knives in his pockets. He grabbed them carefully and moved slightly making it so the guards were a better target. Then he threw them. They whistled through the air spinning as they went. They slid into the bodies, hitting one in the arm and the other in the throat.

One down. Zabo grabbed his daggers and leaped towards the other guard. The guard screamed before Zabo inserted his daggers into his cranium.

He hadn’t been fast enough. The others would come. Time to go. Before he could leave an arrow lodged itself in his hand.

His hand burned. It was like Lancera had put her cats into his hand. Zabo ripped it out causing extreme pain. He had to keep going, he had to keep moving. Another arrow hit him in the calf. He fell over on the ground. He screamed.

His body was bloodied with his blood and the guards blood.

“Stay where you are!” The archer came out from behind him. He was the Boy!

Zabo emitted a low resonating sound almost like a growl. His eyes narrowed. He jumped up with lightening speed. The pain was horrible! He pulled out a short crossbow and loaded a bolt in it.

Zabo jumped away into the trees and fired his bolt. It struck the boy in his arm. The boy fell to his knees.

That bolt was poisoned with Dilact, a fast working poison from the Old ways. That boy would die.

Unseen, Zabo vanished in the night.

I screamed. The pain was sent from the deepest caves of hell. I was a wood burning in flames! I threw up a black liquid that swirled and twisted on the hard ground.

I started to convulse so the doctor called over people to restrain me. I shook uncontrollably. My body burned inside out. I coughed up blood regularly.

The doctor came over with Jak’ra. They nodded and handed the nurse a stem.

“This is Linaxu, a highly sedative drug. It will knock you out so we can perform on you.” The man said. He looked grim.

I nodded or attempted to. Anything was better than this. I was wrong. The pain was nothing compared to the nightmares that sleep brought.

I was standing on a boat. The wood was in flames, and the men screamed. A horrible black ball cut through them all. They each fell. Weapons didn’t hurt it. I screamed.

The men weren’t of the navy. They had no disciple no sense of leadership. A man staggered to the front. He swayed, grasping a bottle. Rum! This was the leader!

A sailor was thrown off the boat. “Help! Help!” He cried. This man cared not of the ship. He wanted to live. I tried to save him, but this was just a dream.

I fell to my knees. My head hit the deck. The pain was real! The blood streamed down my forehead dripping into my eyes. It singed my flesh and clouded my vision.

A wave came crashing over the sides. These men were lost. The leader was a drunk, the sail was in tatters, and the sea was a spiraling barrage of death.

The gods had forsaken them.

Blood came rushing back to my head. I jolted up in the infirmary bed. I was oozing sweat.

I was suddenly dizzy. White spots blotched my vision. Cai stood over me.

“Medo! Feeling better?” He looked worried. “I was scared you weren’t gonna make it. The doctors said the poison was ranked B on the chart! That means out of ten people...only one person will live from it.”

“It causes hallucinations and internal burning,” he sat on the edge of the bed. “You’re lucky!”

My head crashed into the pillow. I couldn’t breathe!

“Medo! Medo! Doctor come quickly!” A doctor rushed into the tent.

“This is serious. The poison hid from the Hingomi!” The doctor said, “This is going to need some serious healing! First shut down his pain centers!”

I felt numb. My arms went limp. I could barely see. The doctor's fingers were smeared red.

“Healing Beast Rain! Healer Poisoning Panacea!” The doctor started to sweat. His eyes narrowed and eyebrows lowered. I could feel the poison slowly being dragged from my blood. The doctor was strong. Very strong. But it wasn’t enough.

The poison fought. It didn’t want to leave its host. I started to shake and moan. The pain was great. Cai held me down at the arms.

“Medo comes on, you can do this!” He pleaded.

I gathered up all the willpower I could and pushed the wretched poison out of my body. Every artery every vein in my body was turning themselves inside out. My brain was flooded with images of a single drop of the poison that was within my body. I could hear my heartbeat pounding in my ears.

I made it! The poison had destroyed itself while fighting the medicine.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed. The sudden movement made my head spin. I grabbed the bed and pushed myself up. Cai pushed me back onto the bed. Hours passed before I woke up again. I hobbled over to the tent flap.

“Cai? Adim?” I saw lots of soldiers move about but none that I knew. Walking over to the nearest soldier I tapped him on the shoulder.

“Excuse me?” He jumped and twirled around, pointing his pike at me.

“Oh, sorry sir,” said the man. He seemed to be nervous about upsetting me. Funny. I always used to worry about upsetting another person, but now people are worried about upsetting me!

“Have you seen Adim or Cai?” I inquired. Seeing his confusion, I continued, “You know, the two that often came into that tent over there? A tall bearded man with a bow or a solemn man with a sword?” Seeing his confusion I sighed. That man would be no help. I decided to report to Jak’ra. I don’t know why but that felt like the right thing to do.

Seeing Jak’ra’s tarnished tent at the edge of camp, I made my way towards it. The wet grass squashed under my feet. I heard a happy shriek from one of the tents. Jak’ra had tried to oust gambling, but the men had ranted so long, he eventually gave in. The thought made me laugh. The men usually never grumbled about Jak’ra’s arbitrary decisions. But take away they're very beloved wagers and they will not move a monkey hair.

I opened the flap to the pallid tent and ducked inside. An aide stood next to the commander. They were hunched over a map of the kingdoms. A fair amount was shaded purple.

“- control the ports of Highcliff, Redtower, and CÆt. They are swelling their forces at the Wall of Terga. The soldiers there have reported them of using Carderous, the carnivorous deer. They ride these beasts like stallions.” I coughed and they looked up, surprised to see me.

“Sorry didn’t mean to interrupt anything. I’ll leave!” I said. I started to walk out the tent.

“No, no, no,” Jak’ra answered gruffly. “I wanted to talk to you anyway.” He waved away the aide, who nodded and swiftly left the tent. He nodded to me on the way out.

“Good chap there. One of the finest aides I’ve ever had. Can’t quite remember his name. Something that starts with a B, I think?” I couldn’t tell if Jak’ra was pulling my chain or not. I decided to let it slide under my skin.

“Yes, well. I am well. I just wanted to check in,” I murmured. The commander still scared me sometimes.

“Glad to see you better. I wanted to talk to you about the same thing I was talking to the aide about. Have you ever heard of the Carderous?” He asked.

“Only in bed tales,” I answered, “A type of carnivorous deer right?” He nodded his head and motion for me to take a seat on the chair sitting next to him.

“Yes. Urbana set them on this earth as his first being. According to legend, they are the only ones able to passage the Kalvik, the passage to hell.” He went on gravely. “They are rarely seen by humans, but we have seen major sightings of them at the Wall of Terga. Tar’ Hibene has ordered us to block them.” Block them! We had just lost a fair amount of our troops to the dragon. This move could be suicide.

“Jak’ra?” He nodded his head for me to continue. “What are the reports of the size of the army?” He slid a paper across to me. It had the Seal of Tar’ Hibene on the front. I turned it over carefully. 11,000! They had more than double our troops.

“Dismissed,” he said. I walked out of the tent shaking. 11,00 of those things. And the beasts?

I swore. “Lancera! The world is damned!” Œisn poked his head out of a tent.

“Be careful the way you use the god’s names. They hold power themselves.” I shrugged him off and walked away. He jumped out of the tent and followed me. “Something wrong?”

I knew I couldn’t tell him about the numbers, so I picked up my pace. I had no idea where I where I was going.

My tent! I needed to work on it anyway. He would leave me alone there!

I didn’t need to get to my tent thankfully. The moving horn was sounded before I got there.

“Well, see you around Medo!” Said Œisn. “Gotta get going!” My tent would be packed up by somebody else. I needed to take my stuff out, though.

I got to the place and my things were lying on the ground the tent, gone. I grabbed the chest plate and strapped it over my shoulders. My shin protectors wound behind my leg three times and finally pulled tight. My sword sheath I fastened across my waist, tightening it to the third loop. I pulled the sword up from the ground and slid it into the sheath with a satis. I pulled on my helmet, the chin strap falling into place right beneath my mouth. I put my bow and quiver in the sack as not to burden me during the march. I slung the sack over my shoulder and walked towards the meeting place.

I get into line in front of my “troops”. Jak’ra, mounted the horse, trotted over to the front of the army. “We are moving to the Wall of Terga we will take position on the west side to block enemy forces,” he called out over the rustle of the men, “We will be heavily outnumbered at least two to one.”

He started to turn away when Nek called out “What des dat mean?” Some of the men grumbled and a couple laughed, but Jak’ra was patient and explained to him that it meant they had two soldiers for every one of ours.

Adim gave the call to march forward, and the sound of our boots against the ground filled the air with noise.

Zabo was waiting again. Waiting for the wounds to heal. He was lying on a cot in Tuviuk the capital of the Alliance. Sitting across the room from him was Tar’Barthugene, the Tar of Westridge. Zabo never questioned why one of the most prominent Tars was plotting the downfall of all he stood for. Well, maybe a little. That was his job wasn’t it?

There was a knock on the door. Out of habit, Zabo tried to jump up to assume a crouch position. Pain dashed through his body. He fell back on the hard cot and blacked out.

When Zabo came to he was alone. He silently cursed his reflexes and wished he could’ve heard the conversation he was sure would have happened. He slowly began to get up, to apologize to the Tar. He limped towards the door. The wood floor began to creak under his feet. The door opened before Zabo could get there.

It was the Tar. He was grim, but that wasn’t much of change of face. “You made a fool of me to the Tar,” he said coolly and calmly. He was so fast Zabo barely had time to react when he whipped Zabo backhand with his spiky Naggidion gauntlet. The blood flowed quietly from Zabo’s cheek into his mouth and onto his neck. Three Riyal sized wounds in his left cheek. The blood in his left cheek felt great. He had gone without blood for a very long time. A sensational wave went through his body. Let the process begin!

A sharp sting hit him. All over his body white liquid was flowing out. Every day a sanguidei goes without blood he becomes more and more pure. A liquid inside of them formed, blocking out the lust for blood. However, the sight of an enemy’s blood or the taste of it could destroy all that pureness. His hormones flared and suddenly he found himself attracted towards anything with blood. The flare dimmed, but the lust was still there.

Zabo heard a hissing sound, looking down he saw his wounds drawing back into himself. Sniffing he recognized the familiar fragrance of coconuts around him. His sweat dried up and the mud on his face slowly became nothing. His beard became evenly trimmed and cut, and his hair became shorter and was gently gelled to one side. His eyesight increased a tenth fold and he could make out every single grain on the wood tile if he tried.

Zabo felt himself rising into the air. His fangs grew and became sharp. He sighed. He had forgotten how good it felt when he was sanguidei, the blood god.

This all took a matter of seconds in the real-time for Tar’Barthugene, but for Zabo it felt like hours. The pain! The marvelous sensation! The blood!

When it was over, the Tar sighed. “I suppose that was a bad idea wasn’t it? Well, I guess being sanguidei may be a good idea for my plans.” The Tar sounded confident and happy. Zabo was happy too. Happy that fresh blood had been provided so soon after returning.

Zabo took a step towards the Tar and licked his lips. He reached out and grabbed Tar’Barthugene by the neck. His nails pierced the influential Tar’s neck and the blood streamed out. He had struck an artery. Zabo’s tongue snaked towards the blood and let the blood flow onto his now red stained tongue. Tar’ Barthugene tried to back away, but Zabo tightened his grip and drew him closer.

“I will not serve you,” hissed Zabo. He didn’t want to serve someone who would take advantage of his condition. Although he loved himself in all his glamor, a deep human pulse cried out to revert. That his very nature was wrong. This was deep and he could only feel it if he was in great thought. Or by some awkward chance, he smelled coconuts.

He smelled coconuts now after his recent transformation and suddenly he was repulsed a bit. Not enough, thought Zabo, not to kill this vulgar excuse for a human. He twisted the human’s neck and heard a slow wrenching sound as the neck bones twisted upon themselves and snapped. Zabo smiled wickedly, then threw the body out the window.

A woman screamed on the streets. “Rain and ashes! It’s raining bodies!”

He smiled and jumped out the window, following the body down. The woman screamed and jumped to get out of the way. At the last second, Zabo pulled up, scraping his fingernails across the stone walkway. He whizzed down the street at inhuman speeds, toppling over carts and people as he went. He made his way toward the sky-scraping towers of the Tar’s Royal palace. Zabo had no idea what he was doing. He gently set his feet on the black spire. His hand grabbed the flagpole and look out on the city.

I was tired. My feet ached and my back was numb. We had been marching for two days with little rest. I could see the Wall of Terga, with it’s regularly spaced towers. It sat on a forested mountain. The wall stretched out for miles and miles on either side so we couldn’t see the ends of it. A thick fog covered the top of it and seeped down the sides of the mountain like a ghost army. Snow blanketed the tips of the mountain, covering what the fog missed.

A soft murmur made its way through the lines. Rumors mostly. About what could be near those fires and what could have made them. Men? Barbaric Nomads? The Empire? Demons? Monsters? Or something else? None quite true, but some men came quite close to the cold reality of what waited for us up there.

We turned towards a woods to the left of us. There we set up our tents. As we started, a heavy rain started to come on us. Our tunics became soaked and moving was uncomfortable. The rain drizzled down our helmets, wetting our eyes and damping our face. The tents became soaked and hard to set up. The ground became soggy and muddy. Horses pulling supplies became stuck in the mud, food supplies were lost as the horses collapsed from exhaustion. Men ran off to go home. Some were court-martialed and hung. Others ... were not as lucky. I couldn’t stand it anymore.

This was the real army wasn’t it? When soldiers come back from foreign wars, they don’t talk about the war horrors. The real horrors are your comrades, friends, brothers, leaving and deserting, being punished, being killed in front of your very eyes. The scars were too many to bear. My brain hurt. People that I knew and that were close had been stabbed or decapitated by my other “friends”. People didn’t know who to trust.

The next morning, I woke up early. It was still raining after three days, so a fire wouldn’t help. I went to check on the pickets, that Jak’ra had set up to catch deserters. When I arrived, they were manhandling someone. As I got closer, I could make out who it was.

Bloody ashes! It was bloody Adim! What were they bloody doing with him?

“Hey!” I barked, “What is bloody hell are you two bloody doing with him!”

The two pickets looked startled and dropped their hold on Adim. I stepped closer and picked Adim up. He obviously had been shaken up quite a bit before I got here.

I kicked Adim in the stomach. He buckled over and moaned. “You idiot! What are you doing? Trying to get yourself killed? Never mind that? Are you trying to get me killed? You bloody Locain Orge! What the bloody ashes are you doing here?” I screamed at him. I dragged him towards my tent.

I propped him up and gave him a cup of wine. He swallowed and grabbed my arm. I leaned closer to him.

When he didn’t say anything so I made him drink more wine. Some of it dribbled down his chin and I wiped it off. I did the best I could to tend to his wounds, but I’m no doctor.

“Is Medo in there?” said Jak’ra said from outside the tent. “You are under arrest for harboring criminals.” I sighed.

“Jak’ra get the bloody hell out of here before I rip your toes off.” Adim coughed and I shushed him.

“You dare speak to an officer that way?” To answer him I stuck my middle finger outside. The tent flap opened and a thug I didn’t know pulled me outside. He beat me repeatedly over the head with the blunt end of the sword.

“What the bloody hell do you think you're doing?” I screamed as they pulled a half conscious Adim out of the tent, “You'll kill him you, bloody idiots!” One of the men pushed me down and the thugs took turns beating me as I lay on the ground. I curled up in a ball to protect myself, but my arms and back took numerous blows. Once they had their fair share they peed on me.

I have been humiliated many times in my life, but having three grown men peeing on me is by far the worst. By the time they finished, I was drenched in their urine and bleeding all over the place.

Œisn bent over and gently picked me up. He carried me to his tent where Jak’ra was waiting. I felt a drop of water hit me in the face, but it wasn’t raining anymore. Then through my blurry vision I saw that Œisn was crying. Tears ravaged his handsome face and rain soaked his raven hair. We were all pushed to the brink. All of us.

I was just the weakest of all. I snapped the fastest. I cried the hardest. I had failed. I was still that same country boy that dreamed of being a hero. I had felt invincible, untouchable. I had always won my fights. But it was like Caroline had said. Confidence is simply that quiet, assured feeling you have just before you fall flat on your face. I had fallen. So I had to get up.

Jak’ra looked sad. Like the face your mother makes when you had shirked your duties for the day. That betrayed face. I knew I certainly felt betrayed. I was dismissed from the army.

Œisn would escort me back to Citadel. Usceionima would give me my medals of duty. My wages would be paid plus an honorable discharge bonus.

Œisn and I visited every important place that we stopped at and cried for each one. The dragon, the town where the girl gave me flowers, the field were Adim and I had our archery contest.

When we reached the Citadel we stopped. I hugged him and he kissed me on the cheek. As I was walking away from Usceionima I saw someone out of the corner of my eye. Erina! She was here! 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
359 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 359

Donate
Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:05 pm
steampowered wrote a review...



Hello, steampowered here for a review and to welcome you to YWS! Before I begin, I feel like I should give you a word of advice – one of the best ways to get really helpful, in-depth feedback is to post short sections of a story at a time. This is more than 14,000 words long, and I would say an ideal length would be somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 words (3,000 is probably the limit) I mean, it does cost you more points to publish, but it’s probably worth it in the long run because you get more traffic and it’s a great way of getting fans because people can follow the story over a period of time and look forward to the next instalment. Just something you might want to think about next time. ;)

Anyway, onto the actual process of reviewing. I enjoyed reading this but I spotted quite a few errors, so this might come across as a harsh review. You have been warned! :)

Hotcher, my mom called him, acted like he knew me, but I didn’t know him at all. He was very blunt and very gruff. His voice was very rough as well. An odd man. I had never met anyone like him. I spent the rest of the walk
“That was your father,” my mom said after we had gotten home. I almost tripped when she said that. My father! I was told that he had died fighting in the war against Breot. He left me before I could remember him and he has the audacity to come up to me in the streets?


Firstly, what happened at the end of the first paragraph? It looks as though you’ve forgotten to finish your sentence. Secondly, you changed tense in the last paragraph – I would say “he HAD the audacity”. And thirdly, I feel like Máedóc should act a lot more surprised that his father – bearing in mind that he grew up believing his father was dead – is actually alive. Surely he would want to know why his mother had kept it a secret from him?

My head spinning I ran into the woods, where I was always at home. Many people find forest dull and boring, but that is because they are unobservant. If you wait a moment and take in everything, the forest is alive!


I really don’t like the last sentence. This guy clearly doesn’t have time to wait a moment, and it just feels awkward and out of place. I’d personally delete it, but that’s just my opinion.

Suddenly I heard a crash. I twirled around just in time to see Hotcher running at me. Rain and ashes! This guy was fast. I jumped behind a tree before he had a chance to see me.


Hang on a second. Surely Hotcher must have seen him already, if he’s running at him. It might be more plausible if you rephrased it to something like “I twirled around just in time to see a figure darting between the trees… I jumped behind a tree, hoping he hadn’t seen me”.

I often bring animals home and nurse them if they are sick. First it was small animals like small birds and chipmunks, but Mom started to say no after the eagle and the bear.


Haha, I like this bit! It gave me a feel for what Máedóc (how do you pronounce that name, by the way? I personally pronounce it Murdock) is like as a character. He’s a caring character, and his mother’s a pretty typical kind of mother – definitely a tad despairing of her son. Also, this is humorous, which is always good.

We sat down by the fire and mother brought me water and Hotcher tea.


I’m slightly confused. What fire? Where did his mother suddenly appear from? I thought they were outdoors, but now I’m assuming they’ve gone back to the house…

Máedóc was lying in his bed going over the conversation with his “dad” when Hotcher snuck out at night to find Calenor, a friend of Máedóc. He had stayed in constant contact with Hotcher after he left, and Hotcher felt like he owed him a visit.


I don’t understand why the viewpoint has suddenly changed from first person to third person. This seems to make no sense. At the very least, I would put a line of asterisks to show where the viewpoint changes, and I personally would have kept the whole thing in third person, if you want to change viewpoint.

He ran into the house as fast as his legs would let him. His son lay sprawled on the floor, he was obviously unconscious. Hotcher stepped over the boy into the kitchen. Blood was splattered across the floor. Hotcher searched the room with his mind because he couldn’t see anything in the smoke. When the smoke cleared he saw her body at the back of the room.


Wait, what? Obviously unconscious? To be honest, it’s not “obvious” when someone is unconscious, and judging by the situation, they could in fact be dead. I’d rephrase this. Also, why is his son alive but blood all over the floor – the blood could only be explained by the soldiers butchering the woman before torching the house. Why didn’t they kill the son at the same time?

All I could was watch. My parents died in front of my eyes. I was helpless. Calenor saved me from those men. He ran down from his forest home when he heard yelling.


Another jerky viewpoint. This guy was unconscious at the point where his father was being killed, although we don’t know about his mother. So his parents surely can’t have died in front of his eyes.

Getting into town was easy, finding the correct place was not. I finally figured out to go to the bank and check the deposits. The people at the bank were helpful, but reluctant to give me the possessions. The funeral was brief, and not many people came. Weeks later, I was still mourning my loss. It felt like it would never end. Like I was just swirling down, deeper and deeper, into this oblivion. I just moved around lying to myself, saying everything is going to be ok. They will be back for supper.
I heard a twig snap underfoot directly behind me. I twirled around. The man that had made the noise was broad shouldered and very tall. His face never twitched from the stoical expression he wore. His eyes didn’t betray any emotion either. He had long dark hair that came down to his shoulders. He wore a dull gray cloak. He was young but older than me. 25 maybe 30?


Firstly, you’ve told me he’s grieving, but you haven’t shown me. In fact, this doesn’t feel nearly as charged with emotion as it should do. Secondly, you’ve suddenly changed scene in the second paragraph and I’m confused as to what’s going on. Also, this guy twirls around so much, I’m starting to wonder if he’s a secret ballerina.

“Ha! Stop sucking up!”


Best. God. Ever!

His story was a sad one, a tale told only at fires and in rocking chairs. He was born in a village called Treetop, that grew coconuts, during a farm crisis. His mother died at childbirth so he had no memory of her. He was raised by a stepmother who treated him like a prince. This life was nice but when he got old enough his dad forced him to work in the fields. It was tiring work, and he had no time to waste. He woke up at 2:00 and worked until 10:30. His dad started pushing him to exhaustion. Then his stepmother died, leaving them devastated. His father turned on him throwing him out of the house. He traveled to the nearby town and booked a room at a tavern. He worked to pay off the tab then left. He met an old warrior that offered to house and feed him if he worked around the house. He lived there for years slowly learning how to fight. The old man taught him everything he knew but was killed by an assassin. The killer took him under his wing teaching him to be an assassin. He got a name. Zabo. Zabo became a mercenary and an assassin. He killed countless amounts of people before he learned that he was a sanguidei.


This feels like a huge infodump. Is all this information really necessary? Also, this paragraph is enormous, and in a printed novel would take up nearly an entire page. I’d suggest splitting it up into four or five smaller paragraphs.

“Is that why you have been so quiet?” Said Calenor with a suspicious tone in his voice.


The speech tag here is incorrectly formatted. Here is a really helpful article which should explain why in more depth.

Hopefully you can appreciate that I’m genuinely trying to be helpful here, since I want to help you improve this. You have some great ideas, don’t get me wrong, and it must have taken real commitment to write something of this length. I like your worldbuilding and dialogue, and I feel like this has the potential to be an amazing novel if you were willing to spend some more time on it. Furthermore, your writing style itself is pretty good. There are loads of good things about this, so please don’t be too disheartened that I’ve only picked up on the negatives. I’m afraid I’m like that!

So yes – do keep writing because I feel like your writing shows a lot of promise, and with a bit of work, I feel you could turn this into an amazing story.

Whew, bravo if you managed to read to the end of this review – I’m sorry it was so long! For brevity’s sake I didn’t want to highlight every single nitpick in a piece of this length, but feel free to PM me if you want any further help or have any questions you want to ask me. I’ll do my best to help! :D






I can't wait to change all the mistakes. It is my first work and I am so happy you guys read it. It makes me feel good. I'm glad you found it fun!
Should I republish this is parts or just leave it one and edit it?



steampowered says...


Hmm, I'd personally suggest republishing it in parts, maybe when you've done a bit of editing on it. You'll also get more reviews that way! :D





Thanks!





And yes my main characters secret desire is to become a ballerina. But wow the all-powerful author will not allow him to continue his dream



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 1230
Reviews: 44

Donate
Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:07 pm
Dreamer84 wrote a review...



Heyo Dreamer stoppin' in for a review. (It's been a while since I've done one so excuse me if I do it poorly) Here goes...alright you have a nice plot goin' here I especially like this "I kicked Adim in the stomach. He buckled over and moaned. “You idiot! What are you doing? Trying to get yourself killed? Never mind that? Are you trying to get me killed? You bloody Locain Orge! What the bloody ashes are you doing here?” I screamed at him." I also loved the God index at the beginning, very helpful.
As I was reading I noticed that you kinda do information dumps, like you put too much information in one place instead of spreading it out. Also some of your sentences just don't flow, maybe add a word or two? Also try to refrain from using 'and' so much (because it's close I'll give you an example from the bottom.) "I hugged him and he kissed me on the cheek." try doing something maybe like this: Bending down he kissed my cheek, wrapping my arms around him I returned the gesture. Or something like that, I don't know I'm not being very creative right now.
I'm going to stop now while I'm ahead sorry if I am coming off kinda harsh. Keep on writing and keep up the good work ::) can't wait to read more from you. (Love your avatar btw ::) )






Thanks so much



Dreamer84 says...


Anytime ::)



User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 242
Reviews: 50

Donate
Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:03 pm
Firelight wrote a review...



Hi again! I'm here to review as requested!

First off, I love the idea for this story. It's very good, but there were laces where you could use a little improvement.

One tip I'm going to give you straight up: don't publish something so long as one piece. People typically don't want to read a really long story, so I would suggest splitting it up. Maybe end on a cliffhanger or something interesting, wait a day, and publish the next part. It doesn't have to be a novel to have different chapters.

Anyway, here are a few things I saw that I think you can improve.

“Why don’t you talk to a rooster?” asked a man, who was promenading down the road.


I think this would be an interesting opening, if I wasn't confused. Talk to a rooster?? I would have the man explain a little what he meant, as the main character seems confused too.


“That was your father,” my mom said after we had gotten home. I almost tripped when she said that. My father!


I feel like this was a little sudden. I would recommend having the mother sit him down and explain the situation, or at least not say it so suddenly.

Rain and ashes. Did he just steal from us? He doesn’t pay the money to the Tar! He doesn’t toil in the fields all day.


First of all, the sentence "rain and ashes" sounds a little bland. I would instead add an exclamation. "Rain and ashes! Did he just steal from us?" Also, I would explain what the Tar is. We don't know, so you should explain right after you mention it. Unless it's some kind of mystery, but I don't get that feel here.

First it was small animals like small birds and chipmunks, but Mom started to say no after the eagle and the bear.


Here, you don't need the small before bird. "First it was small animals like birds and chipmunks, but Mom started to say no after the eagle and the bear."

I'm not going to name every little thing here, but these are some examples. Also, your dialogue isn't always in the proper format. There are a lot of forums here where you can learn about grammar and dialogue writing to help you understand a bit better. Check them out sometime! One more thing I'll say before I end the criticism is that I feel this is a very rushed piece. Slow it down a bit, add some detail, you know. That will greatly improve your story.

I really liked this story idea, I would love to see if you turned this into something bigger. I feel like this is a good base for a future novel :) As for your "crappy" writing, I can say firsthand that it's really great. You just need to learn a little more and keep writing so that you grow. I see a lot of potential I. This one piece, and in you!

Anytime you need a review, I'll be here! :)

~Fire






Thank you so much!



Firelight says...


Anytime!





Should I republish it in parts?



Firelight says...


No I wouldn't for this piece but it's definitely something to remember in the future if you write another long story like this.




If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke